FEEDBACK - Rogers Rocket Wi-Fi Modem Firmware Trial

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: FEEDBACK - Rogers Rocket Wi-Fi Modem Firmware Trial

@Datalink wrote:

@jseller, can you try disabling IPV6 in the router and then reboot the router.  You might have to reboot the devices after that as well so that everything is running IPV4 addressing.  Run the same speedtest after that to see how they turn out.  

Just to note, running a  ping test last week to google.ca, using Rogers DNS, and then OpenDNS I saw that the Rogers DNS trace was much longer and resulted in a 60+ ms latency to google.ca.  The same test usign OpenDNS has half the servers enroute to google.ca and a 30ms latency.  I don't have an explanation for that, but it certainly is odd.  

If you wanted to run both IPV4 and IPV6, I would personally switch to google or OpenDNS for the DNS service.  OpenDNS offers IPV4 address filtering for malware etc it you run a freebie account with them.  They don't do the same for IPV6 yet.  Too Bad Smiley Sad

The other thought is to check your wifi environment as I have indicated above. 

Thanks. @Datalink. I will try that when I get home. Do you think the slowness of the internet connection is due to the fact that cable was split into 2 (one that goes to modem and the other one goes to the whole home Nextbox 3.0)?

Prior to the firmware upgrade, my fastest wired connection is around 350mbps and this is during off-peak time.

I Plan to Stick Around

@RogersDave wrote:

@Triple_Helix wrote:

@RogersDave anything new coming or is this beta becoming final?

Thanks,

Daniel Smiley Wink

Hi Triple_Helix,

Firmware 4.5.8.22T3 is schedule for deployment on CGN3ACSMR in the coming days. A test pool of subscribers were upgraded last week and if everything went well, the decision will be made today to proceed with large scale deployment.

The decision will be made after this deployment for other models.

Dave

Is there any visible way to tell when a 4.5.8.22Tx version has been installed? I don't see the "Tx" portion display, so the only way to tell if anything has changed is to look at the DOCSIS Event logs and look for a software update line.

Network Architect
Network Architect

@zardoz99 wrote:

Is there any visible way to tell when a 4.5.8.22Tx version has been installed? I don't see the "Tx" portion display, so the only way to tell if anything has changed is to look at the DOCSIS Event logs and look for a software update line.

No there isn't except by asking me. Modems upgraded before August 8 were all on 4.5.8.22T1. After that date, it was 4.5.8.22T3.

By the end of this week, I would hope to have a version of 4.5.8.25 that can be deployed to all trial participants. If that doesn't happen, I will eventually upgrade everybody to 4.5.8.22T3.

I've Been Around

My internet constantly cuts out.... what's going on with this firmware?
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Gabandara can you log into the modem and check the Software Version (Firmware) version that is shown on the STATUS page that is displayed when you log into the modem.  Or, do you know already that you are running V4.5.8.22?  If you have requested that version and it is loaded, please have a look at the following post for my post update instructions.  Hopefully that will help if you have V4.5.8.22 loaded now:

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/Getting_connected/message-id/348...

I've Been Here Awhile

Ok this has been the worst day yet of drop outs. Internet cut out over and over today. I have the firmware 4.5.8.22 and have done a factory reset multiple times still don't see a IPv6 address on the status page. I have tried the modem in gateway mode and bridge mode and niether makes it any better. I have disconnected all Ethernet connections to the router without any change. Any advice on anything else I can try?
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@New_Man, since I just typed this, it seems appropriate for you as well:

Can you:

1.  Confirm what model of modem you have as seen by the product sticker at the back of the modem.  I would think that its a CGN3XXX variation or possibly a CGNM-3552.

2.  Log into the modem and navigate to the STATUS .... DOCSIS WAN page, copy the downstream and upstream tables and paste those into a post.  The copy and paste process will copy the text components of the tables and paste them into a post, so using a screen capture won't be necessary.

3.  Please read my post regarding the use of Pingplotter to monitor the modem to CMTS cable path to look for anomalies in the performance of that path.  My personal opinion is that along with the modem, this is the most critical part of the cable internet system.  Get this part right, along with the modem, and your internet performance should be rock solid.  Easy for me to say as an armchair quarterback, but, with a little persistence it can be done.  If you can post an image from pingplotter as is indicated in that post, between the signal levels and the image, hopefully we can start tracking down the cause of the problem with the internet service:

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/Getting_connected/message-id/355...

Please send me a pm, or to @RogersDave a copy of the line from your Docsis Events page that contains the CMTS-MAC=XX.XX.XX.XX.XX.XX and CM-MAC=XX.XX.XX.XX.XX.XX addresses.  Its possible that IPV6 is not enabled for your CMTS.  @RogersDave would be able to determine that.  To send a pm, click or select my name or Dave's name in the link to go to the public page.  On the right hand side a a link titled "Send this user a private message".  Select that to go to the message composition page, fill in the title, details and hit send.  Watch for a number overlaying your personal icon at the upper right hand corner when you're logged into the forum.  Select the icon to bring up the next menu, then the envelope to drill down to the inbox. 

The rest of my earlier post is located here:

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/Getting_connected/message-id/359...

If you're interested in looking at your wifi and house structured wiring, have a look to see if that post can help.

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Thanks for the new firmware. It's been more than a week now and no reset has been required in bridge mode. It has only lost the WAN connection once, but recovered it by itself in a few minutes.

I just have one question: the original firmware version was 4.5.8.14 and in a previous post you said that a "factory reset" would be required for the upgrade; I haven't done any and things seem to work fine with 4.5.8.22 ... should I still do one, or not?

I Plan to Stick Around

@Datalink

So the tech was here today and found that the drop that was susposed to have been replaced was only half replaced. All lines are underground here. I am speechless. Why only replace half a drop and join it. That's just askin for trouble

Mythen
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Vlad_D I would still recommend a factory reset as that jump from .14 to .22 is a pretty big.  Running the factory reset will ensure that IPV6 works properly on the modem and that your modem throughput is consistent.  I've seen some interesting results where the reset had not taken place.  There was an IPV6 address on the modem but IPV6 did not work properly and the speedtest results were inconsistent.  For those reasons I recommend a factory reset. Moving from something like .21 to .22, not a big move, but from .14 to .22, yup, thats a big move.