FEEDBACK - Rogers Rocket Wi-Fi Modem Firmware Trial

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Around

Re: FEEDBACK - Rogers Rocket Wi-Fi Modem Firmware Trial

The Chromecast issue I was having has been totally resolved with the new firmware. Have tried it on different platforms and devices and all are working great.

Everything else seems to be working as expected, no problems.
I've Been Around

Hi all!

I've recently switched to Rogers internet, and I've been having some strange issues on my Galaxy S6 Edge and my Nvidia Shield Tablet. I used to have 50 Mb/s down, and now have 100 down, but everything is loading slower on both of my devices. Youtube thumbnails take a while to appear, the Cineplex app tells me there is no network (even if everything does load), Google Maps takes a while to load results and says I have a poor connection for a few seconds... But if I do a speedtest, my speeds seems normal, if not better than what I am expecting.

I've had a tech come over, and he said that the box for my apartment building needs to be replaced, and it should have been done last week. I've also talked to the Communityhelps people on this forum, and have tried the new firmware version 4.5.8.22 to see if it would help, considering it fixes issues with the Chromecast, but it had no effect.

I am no expert, but something is definitely not working as it should on my mobile devices, and I'm not sure what else to do. Has anyone had a problem similar to this one? Any help is appreciated, thanks Smiley Happy

P.S. I have the Hitron CGN3AMR router, and here is the DOCSIS WAN page:

Downstream.png

upstream.png

I'm Here A Lot

I received the update to 4.5.8.22 but http://ipv6-test.com still shows that my device defaults to IPv4 rather than IPv6. Shortly after performing the factory reset after the 4.5.8.22 update, I was able to get a test result on the aforementioned website of 17/20. However, after a few minutes, it seems that IPv6 is no longer supported and I only got a test result of 4/20.

I've Been Here Awhile

I would like to be part of the trial

I'm a Reliable Contributor

@RogersDave

Hey it's been very quiet since last post, now that the summer is gone and September is at the door.. I was wondering if you had a chance to test.. and if there was good news or bad, but would be nice to see if things are moving and to see a resoltion to this issue.

Thanks,

J

I've Been Here Awhile

So far so good on the new firmware. Definitely fixed my Chromecast issue.

I Plan to Stick Around

Can someone tell me if this "Chromecast Issue" exists when the modum is in either Gateway or Bridged mode? I have a CGN3 ACSMR connected in bridge mode to my Netgear router. I have version 21 firmware installed. I have a problem casting some  websites to my Chromecasts, sometimes taking several attempts to connect, but always eventually getting a successful connection. I just wonder if downloading version 22 would fix this?

I've Been Here Awhile

Chromecast works but internet is still not efficient
I'm a Reliable Contributor

I forgot to add I was speaking about the CASA CMTS Latency issue.
Highlighted
Network Architect
Network Architect

@JohnBeaudin wrote:

@RogersDave

Hey it's been very quiet since last post, now that the summer is gone and September is at the door.. I was wondering if you had a chance to test.. and if there was good news or bad, but would be nice to see if things are moving and to see a resoltion to this issue.

Thanks,

J

Hi John,

Although it has been quiet in here, there has been a lot of work going on behind the scenes all summer and I am hoping I will have good news to share soon. I can tell you what has been happening behind the scenes.

Some users reported subpar routing, especially going to Canadian destinations (U of T, Fibernetics were the reported examples). We investigated and found out that when traffic was using our transit provider Cogent, most of the traffic was going through our US peering points where we have far more capacity that in Toronto. We are currently working to implement changes that will keep as much of the Canadian traffic in Canada.

Regarding Hitron and Casa observed jitter there was also a lot of work done. I ran a few test with a Arris/Surfboard modem and was getting similar results. Fundamentally, it seems that the more DOCSIS channels the modem has to deal with, the more variation is visible. The reason why this shows up more on Casa vs Cisco is simply because we have far more capacity in terms of channels in areas upgraded to Casa.

Working with Hitron on this, initial investigation is showing that the problem is related to the embedded Intel Puma chipset. ICMP packets are handled in software and subject to a lot more variation than regular traffic which goes through the hardware packet processor. I have been told today that Intel just release a new SDK to force ICMP traffic through the hardware processor and Hitron have been testing it with good results (this is hearsay until I see it myself). Hitron will need to merge the code with the Rogers train but I’m expecting to have a test firmware for trial participants in the coming weeks.

Dave