FEEDBACK - Rogers Rocket Wi-Fi Modem Firmware Trial

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: FEEDBACK - Rogers Rocket Wi-Fi Modem Firmware Trial

I'm currently on the gigabit plan although I get about half the speeds I'm suppose to (530-565 mbps download and about 32 mbps upload) using the CGNM-3552 router/modem and I've been randomly discounnected twice now in the span of an hour. It's quite frustrating being in the middle of business or just enjoying some leisure downtime just to have the internet go out on you each hour. I screen cap the DOCSIS WAN Event hopping someone can explain what's going on. Also I'm using the latest firmware as well 4.5.8.22rogers.png

Highlighted
I've Been Around

Had severe issues with my upload and download speeds despite being on a 100u plan. This firmware update resolved all my speed issues, and now has even surpassed my actual internet speed - nearly doubling it.
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Signed up for the trial. Chromecast worked for a day and thank stopped working on all my devices. Checked firmware version and found it is on
4.5.8.21. How do I get it to 4.5.8.22?
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

You can only report it and request they upgrade again. Mine was upgraded to 21 yesterday, it didn't work with Chromecast so I called tekxpert and the technician fixed it in 30 seconds. It appears that a previous technician had been trouble shooting the modem with software that was interfering with finding the DEVICE, it was removed and the problem was fixed. My Chromecast is working at this time but if there is a further modification to the firmware maybe my problem will come back again. It's a real pain. Hope they fix yours soon. Request the upgrade on this media.
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks @Datalink!  Really really appreciate the help you've given me and everyone else ^_^

As for your queries, here goes:

@Datalink wrote:

@JayEff, can you:

1.  Log into the modem and confirm that you have two IP addresses showing on the STATUS page in the upper right hand WAN IP ADDRESS fields.  You should have one IPV4 address followed by a much longer IPV6 address.  I don't want to know the address, just if you have both present.  If both are present, can you run a connectivity test at:  ipv6-test.com.  Please let me know what the pass / fail number is.  It will show in the upper right hand corner as come number out of 20.

-> (FYI that I'm in Bridge mode) I have: WAN IP Address = none, none.

2.  Navigate to the STATUS .... DOCSIS WAN page, copy the Downstream and Upstream tables and paste them into the thread.  The copy and paste process will paste in the text component of the tables, so you don't have to use a screen capture and post that.  The copy and paste keep this fairly simple.  I'd like to see the signal levels and signal to noise ratios, just to know where their at.

Downstream Overview

Port ID     Frequency (MHz)     Modulation     Signal strength (dBmV)     Channel ID     Signal noise ratio (dB)
1    609000000     256QAM     -5.400    34    35.780
2    363000000     256QAM     -7.900    10    35.595
3    369000000     256QAM     -7.700    11    35.595
4    375000000     256QAM     -6.800    12    36.387
5    381000000     256QAM     -6.800    13    36.387
6    387000000     256QAM     -7.600    14    35.780
7    393000000     256QAM     -6.700    15    36.610
8    399000000     256QAM     -6.400    16    36.387
9    405000000     256QAM     -6.000    17    36.387
10    411000000     256QAM     -5.900    18    36.610
11    417000000     256QAM     -6.000    19    36.387
12    423000000     256QAM     -6.200    20    35.780
13    429000000     256QAM     -6.300    21    35.780
14    435000000     256QAM     -6.800    22    35.780
15    441000000     256QAM     -6.400    23    35.780
16    447000000     256QAM     -6.800    24    35.780
17    555000000     256QAM     -6.900    25    35.780
18    561000000     256QAM     -6.200    26    35.780
19    567000000     256QAM     -6.200    27    35.595
20    573000000     256QAM     -5.900    28    35.780
21    603000000     256QAM     -5.000    33    35.780
22    357000000     256QAM     -8.300    9    35.780
23    615000000     256QAM     -5.300    35    35.780
24    621000000     256QAM     -5.500    36    35.780
Upstream Overview
Port ID     Frequency (MHz)     Modulation     Signal strength (dBmV)     Channel ID     BandWidth
1    23700000    ATDMA - 64QAM    43.250     2     6400000
2    38596000    ATDMA - 64QAM    44.750     3     3200000
3    30596000    ATDMA - 64QAM    43.750     1     6400000

3.  You indicated something interesting in a previous post: that looking at the back of the modem, the LAN port LED dies and doesn't flash green.  I believe you have a CGN3AMR if I remember this correctly.  With your router and every other CGN3 variation, that modem port LED would or should be flashing amber in colour, indicating that the modem to router connection is running at 1 Gb/s.  Green would indicate a 10/100 Mb/s connection.  Unless Hitron has finally changed the LED colours for this particular model, the modem port LED should be flashing amber.  If not, that would tell you that:

1.  there is an issue with either the modem or router port;  or

2.  the ethenet cable is not connecting properly at either end;  or

3.  the ethernet cable does not support 1 Gb/s data rates;  or

4.  there is a problem with the cable.  Perhaps it has been damaged in some fashion and as a result the ports negotiate to a lower data rate in order to connect:  or

5.  the TP-Link router is set to operate the WAN port at 10/100 Mb/s which would be rather strange. 

If it is the case that the port LED is green, try this:  connect a pc or laptop directly to another port on the modem and watch for the modem port LED to indicate traffic between the modem and pc / laptop.  If the pc / laptop has a gigabit port on it, the modem LED port should flash amber in colour.  You don't have to wait for the modem to assign a 2nd IP address to the pc/laptop.  After a few seconds you can disconnect the two as all that you checking for is the port LED colour on the modem. 

If you did wait and the pc/laptop picks up the IP address, navigate to Start .... Control Panel .... Network and Sharing Center.  Select the Ethernet link in the middle of the right hand side to bring up the Ethernet Status panel.  The speed that is shown on the panel is the port to port connection rate which should show 1 Gb/s.

-> The light is actually orange. I likely didn't pay enough attention when I mentionned that in my first post. Apologies for that.

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Thanks Brian. I'll give them a call. It's really annoying that this is happening. Especially considering the Chromecast is.one of the few.devices you can run shomi on
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@ngoal, have a look at message # 471 (top post) on the following page for instructions on requesting the trial version, 4.5.8.22.

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/Getting_connected/message-id/348...

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@JayEff.  Ok, copy that you're running the modem in Bridge mode.  Can you confirm for me that you're now running 4.5.8.22.  I believe thats the case, just want to confirm it.  Did you run a factory reset for the modem after the update.  If not, thats one step that I would like you to take.  Remember that when you connect to the modem immediately following the Factory Reset and go thru the setup steps with the new Easy Connect setup, the wifi passphrase that you specify also becomes the modem's password.  You can change that later after logging in as you would normally would using 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.100.1.  Either can be used for a direct connection to the modem.  If you log into the modem thru the router to initiate the Factory reset, you can simply unplug an ethernet connected pc or laptop and plug into the modem while its resetting and rebooting.  That will keep the post reset fairly simple.  Once the reset is complete and your logged back into the modem, you can then kick it back into Bridge mode and reconnect the pc or lapotp back to the router.

Since I don't know how far the modem was moving, in terms of the firmware update, I'd just like to make sure that the update has fully completed so that the modem runs properly. 

Your downstream signal levels are lower than what I would like to see.  They are in spec, but I'd prefer to see them up around 0 dBmV.  This also depends on the number of other modems you have, ie:  cable tv and homephone.  The cutoff point is -10 dBmV.  At that point rogers will send a tech to inspect / replace cables and/or connectors.   The downstream signal to noise levels are at the bottom of their normal range, so I wouldn't want to see them drop any more.  The upstream levels are slightly elevated but where they are now is ok. 

The normal levels are 0 dBmV for the downstream levels, 36 to 40 dB for the signal to noise ratios and 36 to 40 dBmV for the upstream levels.  So, yours are still in spec.  The DOCSIS 3 ranges are +/- 15 dBmV for the downstream and +51 dBmV for the upstream for three channel operation.  Rogers uses +52 dBmV for some reason. 

Given where your levels are, the next question is whether or not there are some transients going on which are too fast to catch via the DOCSIS WAN levels.  With that in mind I'm going to suggest using pingplotter to see if anything is up, in terms of transient dropouts, noise, or latency between the modem and the CMTS.  Can you load pingplotterpro from www.pingplotter.com.  It will run in PRO mode for 14 days before it kicks down to Freebie mode if you don't buy the intermediate or advanced licence.  When you have that loaded, and with an ethernet connected pc or laptop start pingplotter, right click on the top title bar to bring up the column menu.  Select MAX and JTTR to display those columns and drag those columns right so that their sitting beside the MIN column.  In the Focus drop down menu on the upper right, select ALL for now so that it holds and displays the extreme values of the MIN, MAX, Jitter and Packet loss data and averages the ping times from the time that its selected.  This will show if at some point you have packet loss problems, even if that comes and goes.  Then start a test session out to something like google.ca. and hit the green "Go" button.  When that is running, right click on the IP address that is just below the modem's IP address.  Select the 2nd choice to copy the IP and then paste that into the address bar and hit the go button the the right hand side of the address bar.  In that configuration, you're pinging the CMTS and the bottom display will also show if there is any packet loss issues between the modem and the CTMS.  If there is, it can be addressed by tech support.  Drag the bottom area up to the bottom of the data area to expand the scaling for that lower data area.   Right click on the lower area and set the display time for 10 minutes or longer if you prefer.  Let that run for time that you selected, filling the lower display area.  Then, select Edit .... Copy as Image.  Dump the clipboard contents to something like MS paint, wipe out the line 1 address as it will most likely will be an IPV6 address for your modem and then save that image.  Run another test but this time change the Focus time in the upper right to 30 seconds.  To start that, hit the down arrow next to the pause button and select "Reset and Restart".  Let that run for a minute or two.  This will show if you have ongoing packet loss problems as the data lookback for the upper data area is only 30 seconds instead of all of the data.  Then run the same Edit .... Copy as image routine......  If you see any packet loss shown in the packet loss column at any time, copy that image and save it and post that data.  That's what I'm interested at this point.  If you are having problems, the best approach to this is to run it via ethernet connection so that there are no wifi issues mixed up in the data, and, restricting the end target to the CMTS address also ensures that any downstream network issues are left out of the picture as well.

Insert those images into a post and indicate which Focus time is applicable.

If you have an unimited plan, you could just let pingplotter run.  The bottom plot can be adjusted to cover serveral hours, so you can keep an eye on the modem to CMTS connection and hopefully attribute some event such as high packet loss, noise or latency to a time when the LAN port goes offline.  Hopefully the plot will show some build up to the event. 

What you could also consider for a test, is to run the modem in Gateway mode, connect to the modem via ethernet and run pingplotter, pinging 192.168.0.1.  Keep pinging the modem to see if there is some noticable behaviour leading up to when the LAN port goes offline.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Jeff, I am 85 years old, I have no idea what you are asking me to do. So, if you want all that done you will have to send a technician in to do it
Will tekxpert do it? I have their services on my plan. Please advise
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

• Currently running 4.5.8.21 (was at 4.5.8.18) and I also did a factory reset afterwards.

• Rogers has sent a tech to fix up all my connections.  Replaced all of the splitters (in fact got rid of splitters when none were required) and changed all of the coaxial cables he could easily change.

• I've got Ubuntu 16.04 running on my PCs at home, so is there a Linux equivalent to Ping Plotter you could  recommend?  If not, I can setup a Windows partition or borrow a laptop from one of my friends and run pingplotter on it. (Looking at Open Visual TraceRoute, looks like it does something very similar).

What you could also consider for a test, is to run the modem in Gateway mode, connect to the modem via ethernet and run pingplotter, pinging 192.168.0.1. Keep pinging the modem to see if there is some noticable behaviour leading up to when the LAN port goes offline.

Was going to write a quick script to do just that, ping 192.168.100.1 and another PC on my LAN (also ethernet connected) every 10 seconds or so to see what's happening when the Hitron goes offline.