Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FEEDBACK - Rogers Rocket Wi-Fi Modem Firmware Trial

RogersMargaret
Community Manager (Retired)
Community Manager (Retired)

Hello Community,

We are currently offering our users an exclusive opportunity to participate in an upcoming trial of the new firmware for our Rocket Wi-Fi Modem (CGN3ACR, CGN3AMR and CGN3ACSMR) and Rocket Gigabit Wi-Fi Modem (CGN3552 and CODA-4582). For details of this program, please see this thread.

This thread will be used for feedback regarding the firmware.  We've invited @RogersSergio@RogersSyd & @RogersBob from our Networking team to participate in this thread.  Your feedback is very valuable and will be used to enhance the firmware before it is released publicly.

Thank you for your continued feedback and support.

4,921 REPLIES 4,921

Re: FEEDBACK - Rogers Rocket Wi-Fi Modem Firmware Trial

user12343543
I plan to stick around
I've pinged the modem from my pfsense router (traffic was 5mbps at the time) and directly plugged in. Same issue both times.

RyzenFX
I'm a reliable contributor
@RogersDave I can confirm that I am running in gateway mode.

@user12343543, have you tried a test using a modem to pc direct connection, bypassing the router?  Can you also let me know what the answers are for my questions in Post #250 on the previous page?

user12343543
I plan to stick around

1. Yes i'm using monoprice ethernet cables (cat6)

2. Yes for 1 of the tests it was directly plugged in (got it's own public ipv4 address) and yes 1gbps negitation speed

And for last bit modem was not downloading anything intense in any test

nsodn
I've been here awhile

Why is there is no way to disable ipv6? Also, you can't enter any ipv6 dns servers, or am I missing something?

headhoncho
I plan to stick around

FEEDBACK - Rogers Rocket Wi-Fi

I received .22 this morning - so far so good - I don't notice anything different - I was hoping for an improvement in the wifi speed but it's still dreadful, so I will try a separate router

@user12343543, in that case I would swap the modem.  I have seen one other report of high ping times from a CGN3ACSMR. That's unusual to say the least.  Typically you should see 1 ms on average with rare occasional pings in the low 10's of ms.  

@headhoncho I doubt that you will see any improvement in Wifi data rates.  What ever you decide to buy, ensure that it has gigabit WAN and LAN ports and that it has external antenna.

headhoncho
I plan to stick around

I got the RT-AC68U so hopefully it'll give me better wifi speeds

Ok, thats the same router that I and others on the forum use.  Note that if you update the firmware to the latest version, you won't be able to load current third party firmware as Asus has locked out that ability.  Thats due to the US FCC decision to prevent users from changing the frequency and power output rules which can cause interference with weather radar systems.  The AsusWRT-Merlin (third party) firmware, which is very close to the Asus version, but with a few more capabilities will be available in the next few weeks.  The latest, V360.60 is out in Beta2 testing I believe.  So, it shouldn't be too long before its good to go and it will be capable of loading onto the router if the current Asus version has been loaded.  The US FCC decision affects all router manufacturing companies and Asus's approach, at least temporarily has been to lock out previous firmware versions and current third party versions until they can be certified as being compatible with the US FCC philosophy of frequency and power control.

Here's the link to the Asus support page.  For Operating System, select Others and then select Firmware.  For some reason Asus has completely reorganized the downloads and dumped the vast majority of updates into the "Others" selection.  

http://www.asus.com/ca-en/Networking/RTAC68U/HelpDesk_Download/

Here's the link to the Merlin Support page in case you want to keep an eye on the version progess and issues that come up:

http://www.snbforums.com/forums/asuswrt-merlin.42/

Here's the link to the Merlin changelog page with links to the download page:

http://asuswrt.lostrealm.ca/changelog

For the router itself, go thru all of the settings, page by page, item by item and disable anything that you know that you aren't using.  The firewall stays up and I use the AI Protection -- Network Protection. I have all of the options enabled on the Network Protection page.  If you run the scan on that page, I believe it will turn on all of the options.  With a page by page inspection competed, set the following options as well:

IPV6:  You can leave IPV6 disabled altogether at this time if you prefer.  If you are looking to use it, you can set the following parameters:

Connection Type:     Native

DHCP-PD:     Enabled

Auto Configuration Setting:  Stateless      Note that Stateful can be used as well

Connect to DNS Server automatically:  Disable    if you want to use the following IPV6 DNS   OpenDNS and Google.  If this is Enabled, it will use Rogers IPV6 DNS

IPv6 DNS Server 1:     2620:0:ccc::2                                   OpenDNS

IPv6 DNS Server 2:     2620:0:ccd::2                                  OpenDNS

IPv6 DNS Server 3:     2001:4860:4860:0:0:0:0:8888     Google

Enable Router Advertisement:     Enable

Note that OpenDNS does not provide any web filtering service for IPV6 addresses as it does for IPV4.  That is something to keep in mind if you want to use OpenDNS to filter for malware sites, etc, etc.  Note that the AiProtection - Network Protection provided by Trend Micro, within the router will also check for recognized malware sites and present a warning page instead of the expected web address that you are trying to use.

Next, navigate to LAN .... Switch control: 

NAT Acceleration:  Set to Enabled    Note if this is kicked off by some function that requires the CPU to process the data, as in Traffic Monitoring, and others, the data rate throughput will drop.  For the 250/20 service, you will see a drop from ~325 mb/s peak download rates, down to ~240 Mb/s.  For high throughput, this NAT Acceleration (Broadcom's Cut Through Forwarding) must be enabled.  This is a whole other topic for discussion.

Next, navigate to Wireless ... Professional;

Select 2.4 Ghz for Band:

Set the following to Enabled:

Enable TX Bursting
Enable WMM APSD
Reducing USB 3.0 interference 
Optimize AMPDU aggregation
Optimize ack suppression
Turbo QAM
Airtime Fairness
Explicit Beamforming
Universal Beamforming

Set: Tx power adjustment full right to Performance

Select  Apply to save the changes.

Select 5.0 Ghz for Band:

Set the following to Enabled:

Enable TX Bursting
Enable WMM APSD
Optimize AMPDU aggregation
Optimize ack suppression
Airtime Fairness
802.11ac Beamforming
Universal Beamforming

Set: Tx power adjustment full right to Performance

Select  Apply to save the changes.

Reboot the router.

To access the Hitron modem when its running in Bridge mode and the router is in full router mode, use 192.168.100.1 as the web browser address for the Hitron login page.  That can be used by any device connected to the Asus Router, regardless of wired or wifi connection.  By using that address with a device that is connected to the router, you don't have to rip apart your network, or connect a laptop directly to the modem in order access it.

Also note that the RT-AC68U can't keep up with gigabit service, at least not from what I have seen, but that will also be true of a good many other routers as well.  The best I've seen is ~840 Mb/s peak download rates via wired connection, and ~450 Mb/s peak download rates via wifi.

headhoncho
I plan to stick around

thanks for the info!  not sure when I'll get it set up, hopefully in the next few days

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@nsodn, maybe @RogersDave can confirm if Tech Support has the ability to disable IPV6.  You could call tech support to check, but @RogersDave should be able to give you a definitive answer.  

As for the IPV6 servers (DNS servers??) I believe that has been brought up already as an observed bug.

@nsodn wrote:

Why is there is no way to disable ipv6? Also, you can't enter any ipv6 dns servers, or am I missing something?

@Datalink wrote:

@nsodn, maybe @RogersDave can confirm if Tech Support has the ability to disable IPV6.  You could call tech support to check, but @RogersDave should be able to give you a definitive answer.  

As for the IPV6 servers (DNS servers??) I believe that has been brought up already as an observed bug.

The gateway does not have an option to disable IPv6 service (and it is not available either for our Technical Support team).

If you need to disable IPv6, you can always disable it on the client machine. Is there a specific reason however why you want to disable IPv6?

Regarding the manual DNSv6 configuration, this has been raised accordingly and will be addressed in an upcoming release.

moffa
I've been here awhile

Using version 4.5.8.22 on a CGNM-3552-ROG modem and whenever a non-idle amount of traffic is going to an openvpn connection in UDP mode, the system starts to drop packets, not only the VPN connection but all packets out of the system and causes it's websever to go offline.

It's extremely easy to reproduce.

Nothing shows up on the DOCSIS Events tab

nsodn
I've been here awhile

@RogersDave  The reason I would like to disable IPv6 is because the DNS servers I use don't have a IPv6 address. On the Xbox there is no way to disable IPv6 so I would have to do it through the router.

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

But, with IPV6 available, the XBox, assuming that its an Xbox One would have one more path for gaming purposes.  In theory you should see better performance with IPV6 in use and far less NAT issues as there is no NAT for IPV6, at least not at the consumer level.  Are you finding that isn't working as well as it should?

SimplePanda
I plan to stick around

@Datalink wrote:

But, with IPV6 available, the XBox, assuming that its an Xbox One would have one more path for gaming purposes.  In theory you should see better performance with IPV6 in use and far less NAT issues as there is no NAT for IPV6, at least not at the consumer level.  Are you finding that isn't working as well as it should?

No, he's saying he uses some 3rd party DNS that doesn't support IPv6 (or does but with limited features).

Guessing OpenDNS since they support IPv6 but their filtering doesn't work on IPv6 yet.

At any rate, probably a good excuse for the OP to tell his DNSP to get their act together...

Dire
I plan to stick around

after getting the beta firmware the issues that were occuring with my chromecast disappeared. Also no disconnects that seemed to happen every other day. Speed seems to be normal both upload and download.

zardoz99
I plan to stick around

I would like to make a "Feature request" while the possibility of doing so within the trial exists.

Please could we have read-only access to the SNMP metrics within the modem, visible only from the LAN/Wifi side?

There will be a few (admittedly) interested parties that like to monitor their link status/quality as well as traffic patterns using things like MRTG, Cacti or the various commercial equivalents. The lack of monitoring ability is somewhat frustrating to those of us "in the trade".

Thanks.

@zardoz99 wrote:

I would like to make a "Feature request" while the possibility of doing so within the trial exists.

Please could we have read-only access to the SNMP metrics within the modem, visible only from the LAN/Wifi side?

There will be a few (admittedly) interested parties that like to monitor their link status/quality as well as traffic patterns using things like MRTG, Cacti or the various commercial equivalents. The lack of monitoring ability is somewhat frustrating to those of us "in the trade".

Thanks.

@zardoz99, I will add this to the feature request list but there is a caveat.

In gateway mode, the Hitron acts as a CPE + CM. The SNMP could provide CPE metric, for example volume and throughput. Not sure if there is anything else you would like to see.

In router mode, the Hitron acts as a CM only. Because this is L2 bridge (albeight with some added L3 features), I'm not sure if we can run a meaningful SNMP agent. In this case, KPIs should be collected from the CPE (which is the 3rd party router).

Does that make sense?

zardoz99
I plan to stick around

@RogersDave wrote:

@zardoz99 wrote:

Thanks.

@zardoz99, I will add this to the feature request list but there is a caveat.

In gateway mode, the Hitron acts as a CPE + CM. The SNMP could provide CPE metric, for example volume and throughput. Not sure if there is anything else you would like to see.

In router mode, the Hitron acts as a CM only. Because this is L2 bridge (albeight with some added L3 features), I'm not sure if we can run a meaningful SNMP agent. In this case, KPIs should be collected from the CPE (which is the 3rd party router).

Does that make sense?

Perfect sense. For now, I am only running in Gateway mode, so I have no other easy way to gather metrics.  If I was bridging, that would be a different matter completely and I would target the router instead and forgo the link quality metrics.