Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FEEDBACK - Rogers Rocket Wi-Fi Modem Firmware Trial

RogersMargaret
Community Manager (Retired)
Community Manager (Retired)

Hello Community,

We are currently offering our users an exclusive opportunity to participate in an upcoming trial of the new firmware for our Rocket Wi-Fi Modem (CGN3ACR, CGN3AMR and CGN3ACSMR) and Rocket Gigabit Wi-Fi Modem (CGN3552 and CODA-4582). For details of this program, please see this thread.

This thread will be used for feedback regarding the firmware.  We've invited @RogersSergio@RogersSyd & @RogersBob from our Networking team to participate in this thread.  Your feedback is very valuable and will be used to enhance the firmware before it is released publicly.

Thank you for your continued feedback and support.

4,921 REPLIES 4,921

Re: FEEDBACK - Rogers Rocket Wi-Fi Modem Firmware Trial

@NorthGraves it looks like your modem wasn't listed on the exclusion list which protects modems running test firmware from being reloaded to a lower version in a general firmware distribution.  If you use a Chromecast device, you should ask for the trial version firmware, even if you have already done so.  Looks like something was missed in your last update.  

Here's the link to the trial firmware post (Post #1):

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/Getting_connected/thread-id/3315...

Now running 4.5.8.22 on my CGNM-3552.  The Wan Uptime on the STATUS page still shows all 0's as was observed in V4.5.8.21. The WAN Uptime appears to be non-functional in both versions.

WAN Up Time 000 days 00h:00m:00s

NorthGraves
I plan to stick around

Thanks, I am not running a Chromecast device, so no issues with the .21.

Alex.

blues_clues
I plan to stick around

@Datalink wrote:

Now running 4.5.8.22 on my CGNM-3552.  The Wan Uptime on the STATUS page still shows all 0's as was observed in V4.5.8.21. The WAN Uptime appears to be non-functional in both versions.

I did not see this on .21 or .22 but I make it a habit to do a pin reset while on the trial program for every upgrade.

I have the 1A hardware version.

RyzenFX
I'm a reliable contributor

I was just updated to 4.5.8.22 and I haven't noticed any problems yet. As Datalink mentioned above, his WAN up time isn't updating, however mine is working just normally. As of now things are running normally.

rooker
I've been here awhile

I am running the CGNM-3552 with firmware 4.5.8.22

I have concluded its a bug with the modem as using two seperate routers the r7000 (friends) and the Archer c7 (mine)_ they both have the issue. In addition when I reboot the Modem it corrects the issue on the router as well without rebooting the router.

Currently I am at 300 mbps and it requires a constant reboot to get the speeds to run near gigabit. Any suggestions?

PS. This is wired.

@NorthGraves wrote:

Curious - did .22 firmware was found unstable or something?

Was running .22 for a few days, and now the modem is back to 4.5.8.21.

Based on LAN Up Time    002 days 11h:04m:01s, 4.5.8.21 was pushed around Thursday midnight.

Hi NorthGraves,

As @Datalink mentionned, the problem is that your modem was missed from our exclusion list and got downgraded by our automated firmware system. I have rectified this and you should be back on 4.5.8.22 in a few minutes (and remain there).

@Datalink wrote:

@eddiethefunnyon wrote:

I was just updated to 4.5.8.22 and I haven't noticed any problems yet. As Datalink mentioned above, his WAN up time isn't updating, however mine is working just normally. As of now things are running normally.

The WAN Up Time should display the correct uptime in gateway mode. In bridge mode, it is normal for the WAN Up Time to display all 0s as the WAN interface is effectively in the external router (that is where the public IP address lands).

@Datalink can you confirm you are in bridge mode and @RyzenFX can you confirm you are in gateway mode?

@rooker wrote:

I am running the CGNM-3552 with firmware 4.5.8.22

I have concluded its a bug with the modem as using two seperate routers the r7000 (friends) and the Archer c7 (mine)_ they both have the issue. In addition when I reboot the Modem it corrects the issue on the router as well without rebooting the router.

Currently I am at 300 mbps and it requires a constant reboot to get the speeds to run near gigabit. Any suggestions?

PS. This is wired.

This is something I would definately like to investigate further. There are however multiple variables in play so it will require a lot of testing of various configuration.

Can you confirm that the problem clears away when you reboot the modem but it also clears away when you reboot the router?

Has any other user of the community experienced such behavior when running in bridge mode? Has anybody been able to successfully maintain high speeds on a software based firewall such as pfSense?

Tbest886
I've been here awhile

How do I get the latest firmware?

If you would like to take part in the test phase, prior to general distribution of 4.5.8.22, take a read thru the first post on this page, and follow the instructions to send a request to @communityhelps for 4.5.8.22.

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/Getting_connected/thread-id/3315...

See post #208 on the following page for info regarding 4.5.8.22:

user12343543
I plan to stick around

Are we still allowed to exchange the modem in retail stores if they have the beta firmware loaded?

Triple_Helix
I plan to stick around

@user12343543 wrote:

Are we still allowed to exchange the modem in retail stores if they have the beta firmware loaded?

If you have a modem with the beta firmware why would you need to exchange it? If you want to go back to the release firmware just let @RogersDave know!

Daniel 

That shouldn't be any problem, however, I would send a pm to @CommunityHelps to have the modem removed from the exclusion list that protects it from downgrading to a previous version.  If you're running a test version and still having problems, then we should probably be looking at other possible causes, such as signal levels and running pingplotter or WinMRT tests to a target such as google.ca to see if there are other problems upstream.

user12343543
I plan to stick around

I'm having an issue where my ping times over gigabit ethernet to the modem are basically made by a random number generator. I just ran a test to 192.168.100.1 and got 10ms, 15ms, 1ms, 2ms. I ran an extended test and got over 150 at some times (again wired) 

I tested a friends modem and he did not have the same issue. I've had this issue since the modem was new, so I'm hoping a hardware swap might fix it? 

Can you look at the back of the modem and confirm which modem model you have:  CGN3, CGN3AC, CGN3ACSMR, or CGNM-3552.

Can you also log into the modem and confirm which firmware is loaded as indicated on the STATUS page that comes up after logging in.  The firmware is indicated on the page next to the "Software Version".

user12343543
I plan to stick around

Of course, the model is CGN3ACSMR 

Hardware Version 2A
Software Version 4.5.8.22 (friends was on the standard .21 Hardware version was 1a)

Tbest886
I've been here awhile
Cgnacsmr

@user12343543,can you confirm the following for me:

1.  That you're using a commercial Cat 5e / 6 cable from the device to the modem, and not house Cat5e ethernet (from room to room)?

2.  Right click on the internet symbol on the lower right hand side of the monitor.  Select "Open Network and Sharing Center" to bring up the Network and Sharing Center panel.  Then select the ethernet link on the middle right hand side of the page to bring up the Ethernet Status panel.  The Speed that is shown should be 1 Gb/s.  I'd just like to confirm that.  When you run a wifi connection, that panel will be a Wifi Status panel and will show the connection rate (raw data rate) with the modem or router.

Conclusion so far is that if you are using a short commercial Cat 5e / 6 cable and see 1 Gb/s connection rate on the Ethernet Status panel, then there is no good reason to see high pings unless you're running a ping test when the modem was engaged in some amount of downloading.  If you have anything else running off the modem, wifi or ethernet, you might want to try the test when everything else has been disconnected and see if you get the same results.  If so, then yes, swap the modem.  If not, then the question is, whats taking up so much bandwidth?

@Tbest886,if you have a Chromecast device, or possibly use Apple's Bonjour service (for printing or other uses), then it would make sense to ask for the next trial version.  If neither of these apply, then it would make sense to stay with the current software version 4.5.8.21.

Tbest886
I've been here awhile
I have a chrome cast device