Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FEEDBACK - Rogers Rocket Wi-Fi Modem Firmware Trial

RogersMargaret
Community Manager (Retired)
Community Manager (Retired)

Hello Community,

We are currently offering our users an exclusive opportunity to participate in an upcoming trial of the new firmware for our Rocket Wi-Fi Modem (CGN3ACR, CGN3AMR and CGN3ACSMR) and Rocket Gigabit Wi-Fi Modem (CGN3552 and CODA-4582). For details of this program, please see this thread.

This thread will be used for feedback regarding the firmware.  We've invited @RogersSergio@RogersSyd & @RogersBob from our Networking team to participate in this thread.  Your feedback is very valuable and will be used to enhance the firmware before it is released publicly.

Thank you for your continued feedback and support.

4,921 REPLIES 4,921

Re: FEEDBACK - Rogers Rocket Wi-Fi Modem Firmware Trial

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Keep an eye out for updates to the second post in the following thread to see what has changed in the newly released firmware versions:

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/Getting_connected/thread-id/3315...

mES19
I plan to stick around

@RogersDaveHi there I have zero speed issues with wired ethernet it's great in fact. My NEXUS 6 phone still only sporadically connects to WIFI then to get it to reconnect I need to turn airplane mode on and off. 5 GHZ channel is still abysmally slow BUT has doubled since I was pushed the .14 update. Limits at about 125 mbs

Jeffj
I plan to stick around

@NBomb wrote:

Just got a reboot and 2.0.10.14 pushed to my CODA. Eager to hear what's new, but I don't seem to notice any change in performance.

Oh boy! I hope it has some form of Xbox CDN server fixes. I will have by estimation about 300-600 GB of game data to download  this weekend 😄

At 1.5mbps - 800 kbps that i have been sporratically getting since the new modem you guys could imagine the issue I fear... dieing of old age waiting for that amount of data to download and having to will my new holiday games to my children to finish in my honor.

@Killacammy wrote:

@RogersDave wrote:

@Killacammy wrote:

@RogersDave have you noticed anything with mine?  The fact that I can only get 11mbps while wired vs 30 mbps via 5g makes absolutely  no sense to me and the speeds have yet to improve at all.  I have switched wires and still nothing.

In both cases, these are very slow speeds and I suspect you are impacted by the 2.4 GHz issue.

I can have a look and suggest further action if you send me your MAC address via private message.

Dave

Hey Dave,

I sent it a week or so ago.  Did you not get it?

No unfortunately I couldn't locate it.

@Jeffj wrote:

@NBomb wrote:

Just got a reboot and 2.0.10.14 pushed to my CODA. Eager to hear what's new, but I don't seem to notice any change in performance.

Oh boy! I hope it has some form of Xbox CDN server fixes. I will have by estimation about 300-600 GB of game data to download  this weekend 😄

At 1.5mbps - 800 kbps that i have been sporratically getting since the new modem you guys could imagine the issue I fear... dieing of old age waiting for that amount of data to download and having to will my new holiday games to my children to finish in my honor.

Hi Jeffj,

This one is still under investigation with Microsoft and Akamai. This is more than an CODA-4582 issue as I get similar extremelly slow download speeds for Microsoft XBOX assets using any modem at the moment.

Akamai just asked me for further traces this morning to assist them in the investigation.

Dave

RogersDave
Retired Support
Retired Support

@14N wrote:

Hi @RogersDave 

Also, do I automatically get the beta firmware upgrade for the CODA since I signed up for the previous one?

Thanks

Everybody that was on the trial firmware program before will be migrated automatically once we resume it in January.

At the moment, we are performing targetted firmware deployments. Version 2.0.10.14 was pushed to some customers last night and the remainder will occur tonight (I've updated the 2nd post of this thread with the changes).

After that, we are likely to push another version to specific customers affected by the interference issue. Once I have the version details, I will also update the 2nd post.

Dave

B-a-n-e
I plan to stick around

Hi. I am having an issue accessing NAS from Android devices.  I posted this in the hardware forum earlier but haven't gotten any responses so far.

There are 3 NAS devices, all Drobos.  The first is attached to my main computer with USB, the second is connected to my main computer with ISCSI and the third is connected directly to the router.

I am trying to connect with 2 Android devices.  The first is a Asus Zenpad and the second a Nexus 9.  I am using the 2.4 ghz wireless connection for the Zenpad and the 5 ghz connection for the Nexus. 

I am using ES file explorer pro and also Solid explorer.  

I can initially login to all 3 NAS drives from both Androids and see my shared directories.  However, the login fails if I try to access a subdirectory with a lot of content (say over 100 files) or if I try to open a file from a directory that I can access (with say a dozen files).  

Trying to access a larger directory gives me the standard login fails message:

"Login fails

This may be caused by:

WLAN is off

SMB server is out of network scope

The IP is invalid

Blocked by the firewall

SMB service is off"

Trying to access a file results in it just hanging (video) or a failure to copy the file (books).  I've tried multiple files and directories.  

So I can login (I was having some problems with the 2 drobos attached to the main computer but that's a know Windows 10 glitch that I've gotten around by logging in with my local account name) to all 3 drobos from both Androids and see all the various directories and access most directories but trying to access directories to a larger volume of files then gives me a login error and any files I can access won't play or copy.  

Before upgrading the modem I could consistently access the networked drobo (I hadn't figured out the Windows 10 glitch yet for the 2 drobos attached to the computer so I couldn't access those but that was a separate problem that is now resolved).

I have a second networked computer that connects to all 3 drobos fine, including all directories and plays all files.

On an unrelated note, my ports seem to be fine (one is at 100 but I think that is b/c the home phone adapted connected to that port is only 100).  My speed is about 575 download right now (I can get around 900 depending on the time) and 23 upload (doesn't change much based on time).  

Any advice would be appreciated.  Thanks,

Patrick9591
I plan to stick around

Hello @RogersDave,

I am still experiencing very high latency/jitter rates with the CODA 4582 as well as low uploads in the night. I have spoke with several techs and they have tested my signal and did not find anything on their side. I have gone through the basic steps instructed by rogers. Is there something you can recommend to me that i could relay to them or something i can alter on my side. Any help would be much appreciated.

Setup:

Coda-4582 (Bridged) ---> Asus RT-66U ---> Asus Gigabit Switch ---> PC

Pinging Asus router <1ms

Pinging Coda-4582 1-8ms 

Thanks,
Patrick

Jeffj
I plan to stick around

@RogersDave wrote:

@Jeffj wrote:

@NBomb wrote:

Hi Jeffj,

This one is still under investigation with Microsoft and Akamai. This is more than an CODA-4582 issue as I get similar extremelly slow download speeds for Microsoft XBOX assets using any modem at the moment.

Akamai just asked me for further traces this morning to assist them in the investigation.

Dave

Thanks for the update @RogersDave

Hybrid_Noodle
I plan to stick around
@Patrick9591 what are you seeing as high latency/jitter and what are you testing out to?

Patrick9591
I plan to stick around

Hello @Hybrid_Noodle,

I am using http://speedcheck.rogers.com/en.html to test. I am getting 16+ms latency and 30+ jitter in the night time only. Right now I am getting 6ms latency and 7 ms jitter.

Thanks,
Patrick

Double_K
I'm a reliable contributor

@RogersDave wrote:

At the moment, we are performing targetted firmware deployments. Version 2.0.10.14 was pushed to some customers last night and the remainder will occur tonight (I've updated the 2nd post of this thread with the changes).

Thanks Dave!  Could you please share with us what the improvement & fix were?

Was the output transmit power increased to the max dBm for the applicable frequency range?

Mythen
I plan to stick around
@RogersDave

Sorry I never posted sooner I have been busy. No word from rogers yet. I still have the 3552. I just may go and exchange myself this evening

Hybrid_Noodle
I plan to stick around
@Patrick9591 realistically those results are not poor and it could just be congestion either within your local network or to the test servers causing it to alter like that. Issues that were seen previously with the CGN modems you would see latency and jitter results at a much higher range.

A standard ping to google could be in the 20ms range.

prateeck7
I plan to stick around

Hello, my speed is really inconsistent. With previous modem I would get 800mbps with ease.

Now its ranges from 50mbps to 500mbps. Ping is inconsistent as well.

What bothers me the most is the bufferbloat. I have been running bufferbloat test at DSLreports.

Everytime, I run the test I get 'Failed' result.

My buffer bloat is constantly above 600ms.

Even during my speed test in various sites, I can clearly notice that my speed test gets stuck 4 or 5 times for couple of seconds before giving me the final results. Also, any site I visit it takes time to connect then all of a sudden its loaded.

I am not a tech guy. But that surely means something is wrong here. Anybody know what is going on here?

@prateeck7 wrote:

Hello, my speed is really inconsistent. With previous modem I would get 800mbps with ease.

Now its ranges from 50mbps to 500mbps. Ping is inconsistent as well.

What bothers me the most is the bufferbloat. I have been running bufferbloat test at DSLreports.

Everytime, I run the test I get 'Failed' result.

My buffer bloat is constantly above 600ms.

Even during my speed test in various sites, I can clearly notice that my speed test gets stuck 4 or 5 times for couple of seconds before giving me the final results. Also, any site I visit it takes time to connect then all of a sudden its loaded.

I am not a tech guy. But that surely means something is wrong here. Anybody know what is going on here?

@prateeck7,

Can you send me a private message with your modem MAC address. I will have a look at your modem.

Also, are you at home right now to run some tests?

Dave

@prateeck7, what modem do you have.  If its any of the CNG3xxx series or a CGNM-3552, please have a look at the following post.  If you have one of those modems, you are not seeing bufferbloat.   The problem is the latency due to the firmware design for the Puma 6MG chipset.  That is being addressed, but there isn't a final firmware version available to any ISP anywhere that uses a Puma 6/6MG modem.  

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/Getting_connected/message-id/369...

If you have the new CODA-4582 gigabit modem, there are issues noted with poor performance for some users. Those are being addressed.  

Please have a look at the back of the modem to determine the modem model as indicated on the product sticker.  Please post the modem model as well.  If there is any additional info that I can offer, it will depend on the modem model.

prateeck7
I plan to stick around

@DatalinkIt is CODA. The white one I replaced just this saturday.

And thank you for offering help. I need it. Tech visited me yesterday and yet he couldn't fix the issue. Just kept on saying 'you are perfect, very good, every thing is fine' despite me showing him dslreports and other speed test 4 or 5 times.

Patrick9591
I plan to stick around

Hello @Hybrid_Noodle,

I may be getting better performance with the CODA vs CGN3 series. However, it is no way in spec to be gaming on. The inconsistency with the latency/jitter results in packets being sent in different times which is why it is poor for gaming. I have done multiple tests on serveral servers in the GTA with speedtest.net as well and rogers speedcheck.   I can assure you that there is no conflict within my local network.  Results can vary, however, while gaming I am teleporting everywhere. Ports are forwarded and NAT is open. I am usually the only one lagging in the games while my peers are playing fine. I agree there is most likely a congestion within the local node but it has not yet been addressed/fixed.  I am definitely slightly better now than where I was, but playing games are intolerable.

@prateeck7, as @RogersDave indicated, please send him the modem MAC address.  He is best suited at the moment to determine what the problem might be. 

Click on his name to bring up his public page.  On the right hand side is a link to "Send this user a private message".  Select that link to navigate to the message composition page.  Its already addressed.  All you have to do is add a title and necessary details and hit send at the bottom.  

Open another tab in your browser and use 192.168.100.1 to navigate to the modem's log in page.  Log in, copy the modem MAC address from the STATUS page that comes up when you log into the modem and paste that in the message to @RogersDave.  With that MAC address, Dave can have a look at your modem and determine if it falls into one of two categories of known issues.  

prateeck7
I plan to stick around

Thankyou @Datalink.

I sent @RogersDave the mac address I copied from the back of the modem already. Your method seems easier for future purposes as I don't have to get out of my seat 🙂