Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FEEDBACK - Rogers Rocket Wi-Fi Modem Firmware Trial

RogersMargaret
Community Manager (Retired)
Community Manager (Retired)

Hello Community,

We are currently offering our users an exclusive opportunity to participate in an upcoming trial of the new firmware for our Rocket Wi-Fi Modem (CGN3ACR, CGN3AMR and CGN3ACSMR) and Rocket Gigabit Wi-Fi Modem (CGN3552 and CODA-4582). For details of this program, please see this thread.

This thread will be used for feedback regarding the firmware.  We've invited @RogersSergio@RogersSyd & @RogersBob from our Networking team to participate in this thread.  Your feedback is very valuable and will be used to enhance the firmware before it is released publicly.

Thank you for your continued feedback and support.

4,921 REPLIES 4,921

Re: FEEDBACK - Rogers Rocket Wi-Fi Modem Firmware Trial

@RogersDave is there anyway for you to tell me if docs 3.1 is avail in my area ?

@lethalsniper wrote:
@RogersDave is there anyway for you to tell me if docs 3.1 is avail in my area ?

@lethalsniper, DOCSIS 3.1 is not enabled in your area yet. I also don't have a deployment schedule at this point.

Dave

JohnBeaudin
I'm a senior contributor

@RogersDave

My YealinkIp Phone that negociates at 100 MB/s , I can unplug it when I don't need to use it.

However I'd like to know if there will be a firmware that will fix this ( so I can leave it plugged all the time, without impacting my hardwired connection to my pc?)

For anyone who has a CODA-4582 with V2.0.10.19 loaded, running in Gateway mode and experiencing slow download rates or slow web page fills, try this: disconnect all but one ethernet connected pc from the modem and turn off the wifi, both 2.4 and 5 Ghz. Then restart the modem by pulling and reapplying power. Run a speedtest after that to see what your results are. This morning as I was filling the wifi SSID and passphrases with junk after a factory reset, I noticed that the refresh time for GRCs perfect passwords was very slow, until I turned off the 2.4 Ghz wifi, at which point the web site page refresh time noticeably dropped to what I would expect. So, just an observation, but there is definitely something odd going on when the 2.4 Ghz wifi is up and running.  At the point that I was doing this, there was nothing connected via wifi and only one pc was connected via ethernet. I use GRCs perfect passwords to generate the SSIDs and passphrases, which requires a page refresh to generate new alphanumeric sequences:  https://www.grc.com/passwords.htm

I usually run the 4582 in Bridge mode with an Asus RT-AC68U behind it and I haven't come across any issues so far, at least from what I can see. My modem was updated to V2.0.10.19 last night and after running a factory reset late this morning the speedtest results that I see appear normal.  Highest I saw with the modem in Gateway mode and a single pc connected was 923/28, which for a late morning speedtest, is normal. If I run a speedtest prior to 8 am I'll see download speeds in the 940 range and upload speeds in the low 40s.

Head of Line blocking?  We had a very similar problem with the CGN3 a couple of years ago.  Any connection to a 100 Mb/s device would cause all of the modem's ethernet ports to run at 100 Mb/s from what I remember.  The temporary solution was to run a gigabit switch between the modem and any 100 Mb/s devices until the firmware was changed.  Have we run into the same situation again?

JohnBeaudin
I'm a senior contributor

it looks like it.

Temporary fix is I will leave it unplug when I don't need to use it. 

That should do it right @Datalink ?

bonanza
I plan to stick around
@RogersDave after an upgrade to 2.0.10.19, I had no luck to getting any good speeds. A tech came today and said the neighborhood tap is only configured for the older gigabit modem and not the new one and as a result, my speeds are affected. Does this seem plausible?

Alex4161
I'm a senior contributor

@Datalink From the sounds of it the performance only applies to the hardware being used as a modem and not a router as you turning off wifi and only using 1 pc.

@JohnBeaudin run a speedtest after you have unplugged the device from the modem.  If you still see low rates, restart the modem by pulling the power off of the modem and then power it back up again to force a restart.  Run another speedtest after the modem is back up and runnng to see what change has occured.  Running a speedtest before and after will confirm or deny the requirement to run a restart to temporarily fix this.  

Alex4161
I'm a senior contributor
bonanza, did you get an email asking to swap to the new modem or were you advised by Rogers to get the new modem? If what you say is true, then this sounds like a very frustrating experience for us.

JohnBeaudin
I'm a senior contributor

@Datalink

Speedtest is the same 330/22 with or without my yealink negociating at 100 MB/S

however the blufferboat and line quality is better when it's unppluged ( according to DSLReports speedtest).

@Alex4161, results in gateway mode, 923/28 Mb/s (all wifi disabled), which for a late morning speedtest, is normal.  Results in Bridge mode thru my RT-AC68U 747/24 Mb/s.  That result thru the RT-AC68U is also pretty normal for this time of day.  I have seen as high as 940 Mb/s down thru the router.  For gigabit service, the 68U is underpowered.  Time for a standalone router running something like Pfsense or Opensense.

Those results are with Firmware Version 2.0.10.19

Alex4161
I'm a senior contributor

@Datalink

Thanks for the info.  If you turn wifi on for both 2.4 and 5 ghz what speeds do you get?

thanks

As soon as I find an opportunity to kick the modem back into Gateway mode to experiment I'll let you know. Finding time to experiment during the Christmas holidays without starting a family mutiny is a little difficult, but as soon as I can, I'll give that a go.   The slow page loading on a secondary browser tab was something that I didn't anticipate, and I haven't seen that before with previous modems or firmware versions.  So, at this point its only an observation.  Whether or not that translates to a lower data rate is a good question.  

prateeck7
I plan to stick around

@Alex4161Please let me know if swapping modem fixes your issue.

I had a tech visit a week ago as well. My signal was bad (after getting this white CODA modem). Apparently, previous cable guy didn't install the amp properly. When I called Rogers, they sent the techs without asking further questions (they do that if the issue is critical). Tech even showed me their computer. There was an interference traffic and my internet had a red exclamation mark. After he installed the amp properly its all green (didn't replace CODA as he didn't bring one with him).

That said, it still hasn't fixed the issue. I would like to swap the modem today and see what happens. Keep me updated. It gives me some hope.

Alex4161
I'm a senior contributor
@Datalink

Thank you. Can you also test the speed with only 5 Ghz on and then turning on the 2.4 Ghz? I plan on getting a new cell phone and won't be needing 2.4 Ghz so I don't mind turning it off. All my devices run 5 Ghz and I need that to be working on the router.

bonanza
I plan to stick around
I got an email saying to upgrade my router. This is my second CODA router and the rep just further supported the theory that the tap needs to be upgraded. They said that in my neighborhood there is an upgraded tap and the users there are seeing great speeds but for those on the older tap, it's bad news with this new router. They're going to fix this within the upcoming days so I'll update you all on the situation

@Alex4161, yes, will do, when I can find a few minutes to do this 🙂

prateeck7
I plan to stick around

@RogersDaveI. also, would like to know if Docsis 3.1 is enabled in my area, please?

prateeck7
I plan to stick around

So I just talked to the Rogers. Apparently, even after the last techs visit, my modem is still getting a weak signal and, hence, fluctuations in my internet speed and bufferbloat. Tech is scheduled to visit tomorrow again. I will keep you all posted. Fingercrossed, all things are resolved.

Alex4161
I'm a senior contributor
@prateeck7,

can you please post your signal levels so that we can see what is considered bad.

thanks