Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FEEDBACK - Rogers Rocket Wi-Fi Modem Firmware Trial

RogersMargaret
Community Manager (Retired)
Community Manager (Retired)

Hello Community,

We are currently offering our users an exclusive opportunity to participate in an upcoming trial of the new firmware for our Rocket Wi-Fi Modem (CGN3ACR, CGN3AMR and CGN3ACSMR) and Rocket Gigabit Wi-Fi Modem (CGN3552 and CODA-4582). For details of this program, please see this thread.

This thread will be used for feedback regarding the firmware.  We've invited @RogersSergio@RogersSyd & @RogersBob from our Networking team to participate in this thread.  Your feedback is very valuable and will be used to enhance the firmware before it is released publicly.

Thank you for your continued feedback and support.

4,921 REPLIES 4,921

Re: FEEDBACK - Rogers Rocket Wi-Fi Modem Firmware Trial

RyzenFX
I'm a reliable contributor

Since you're on the gigabit plan you're going to need to upgrade to an (AC1750-AC1900) router if you want to use most of the speed over WiFi. The router is only capable 600Mbps (Combination of 300Mbps from both bands), and you could be doing much better with a newer router. 

Your are correct when it comes to bridging the CODA-4582, its should be plug and play, but since you have an older router, it does not support NAT acceleration. NAT Acceleration comes into factor when you want to achieve speeds higher than 100Mbps. It is basically hardware acceleration which allows you to reach 1Gbps through one of the router's ethernet ports. I'm sure @Datalink is more knowledgable on this subject than I am, but you need to get a router that supports NAT ACCELERATION in order to hit speeds up to 1Gbps. The routers that support this have stronger processing power, as @VivienM mentioned above, but this will come at a higher price.

For now it is reccomended to stay wired to the CODA untill you get a router that supports NAT ACCELERATION.

RyzenFX wrote:

Your are correct when it comes to bridging the CODA-4582, its should be plug and play, but since you have an older router, it does not support NAT acceleration. NAT Acceleration comes into factor when you want to achieve speeds higher than 100Mbps. It is basically hardware acceleration which allows you to reach 1Gbps through one of the router's ethernet ports. I'm sure @Datalink is more knowledgable on this subject than I am, but you need to get a router that supports NAT ACCELERATION in order to hit speeds up to 1Gbps. The routers that support this have stronger processing power, as @VivienM mentioned above, but this will come at a higher price.

For now it is reccomended to stay wired to the CODA untill you get a router that support NAT ACCELERATION.

But that router, according to its manufacturer, does do hardware NAT up to 800 megabits/sec. Not gigabit, sure, but a lot better than 80...

I think the issue is the DD-WRT firmware that doesn't support the hardware NAT.

RyzenFX
I'm a reliable contributor

@VivienM

You are correct, I was jut reading up on the specs of the router, but I missed NAT acceleration somehow lol.

DD-WRT doesn't support NAT acceleration, so it's better to revert back to the stock firmware. You could do much better if you by just connecting to the modem though....

@dmbcanda if you have kicked the modem into Bridge mode for the first time, you should run a factory reset on the router and set everything from scratch.  After a factory reset and before you make any changes to the settings, run a speedtest using the www.speedtest.net Toronto Rogers server just to establish a baseline number.  At this time all that you want running is the firewall and DHCP server.  Everything else, in terms of functions, like QOS, traffic monitoring, etc, should be disabled.  What you will find is that functions like that will come with a throughput penalty, there's no getting around it. If the CPU has to do something with or to the data as it progresses from WAN to LAN or vice versa, that processing will slow the throughput.  Without any of the various functions enabled, I would think that the throughput would be in the multi-hundred Mb/s, no where near 900+ Mb/s but much better than what you are seeing now.  This same problem also applies to routers with NAT Acceleration enabled.  If you enable functions that require CPU processing, the NAT Acceleration will kick off and you're back to square one.  So, at the end of the day, the choice with a typical consumer router is speed or functionality.  

With my Asus RT-AC68U, with NAT Acceleration enabled and everything but firewall, AI Protection and wifi disabled, I'll see over 900 Mb/s, which for an 800 Mhz processor isn't bad.  But thats for IPV4.  IPV6 takes a beating due to the packet scans.  With NAT Acceleration disabled, the IPV4 throughput will drop down into the low 200 Mb/s range.  

Fwiw, the NAT Acceleration is actually Broadcoms Cut Through Forwarding.  Think of it as port to port forwarding, WAN to LAN, with very little if any involvement by the CPU.  Its proprietary so no one really knows how it works, its either on or off.  When its on, you'll see near gigabit speeds, kick it off and you're down to low 100 to 200 Mb/s speeds.  Here's a link that provides additional info:

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/broadcoms-hardware-acceleration.18144/

WestPoint
I plan to stick around

@RyzenFX No i havnt done any reboot since @they pushed v .24 to me this moring. However I have been up almost 10hrs now without any complete loss yet.

Got booted off of Xbox live twice today still tho, and I have strict NAT and I cant host anything or invite/join balack ops zombies games because of the strict NAT and slow connection.

But Netflix is working Smiley LOL

ghost1001
I plan to stick around

Quick question, since I couldn't find the answer:

If we were on the beta program before and got a new modem due to issues with the old one, will we be re-added to the program? Or do we need to re-send a PM with the new MAC address and S/N?

@ghost1001, I would send in the MAC address and S/N.

Me and my brother also got disconnected from Xbox live

dallasdinatake
I plan to stick around
I message you it and never replied

kghgk
I've been here awhile

Can anyone provide more information around this fix?

2.0.10.23 (January 25, 2017) *

• Fix: Bridge mode not working on certain 3rd party routers

The specific issue I have:

- Confirmed bridge mode, disabled residential gateway

- Found the modem was running 2.0.10.13 out of the box

- Windows 7 client - receives a DHCP lease on any port

- Fortigate Firewall (multiple) send DHCP discover but are not presented with a DHCP offer

- Browsing from the windows client is fine.

- Requested customer support update but they can only update to 2.0.10.19 (disappointed)

- Confirmed the same behavior is present on 2.0.10.19

- Windows client ok, Fortigate firewal unable to obtain DHCP

If it takes a long time I am going back to get the old black ignite modem which is frustrating. If there is a legit problem with my hardware, I will submit to support but when a potential fix is available with the modem firmware, please oblige and get me back up and running.

Brainbug
I've been here awhile

kghgk,

I had a similar issue to you, with tech details here: https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r31261692-Rogers-CODA-4582-modem-now-available-Puma-7-Chipset

The .24 firmware did fix the Bridge Mode DHCP issue for me.

KepneR
I've been here awhile

@Datalink, CGNM-3552

Exrobbers
I plan to stick around
I'm not an advanced user. Mainly iPads and phones, Smarr TV and a 7 year old desktop. My speeds are stable with update. 24, pings are unchanged but I haven't had to reboot since after the .24 firmware update. Aside from missing IPv6, I'm quite happy with this latest beta. Still on D 3.0. I think (for myself at least), once D 3.1 and IPv6 are finally available, things will be where they should be

gp-se
I'm an advisor

@kghgk send a PM to @CommunityHelps with your account number, modem serial number, and modem mac address. Ask to join the Beta Firmware Program, the latest Beta .24 fixes DHCP issues, as well as other important fixes. If you don't wanna be apart of the Beta then wait a week or two because .24 should be going network wide soon.

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@kghgk,

Send a private message to @CommunityHelps requesting the trial build for the CODA-4582.  The trial version intro is found here:

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/Getting_connected/message-id/331...

I posted a more complete instruction set for a previous trial version here, message # 471 (top post) on the following page.  The instructions to request the update and the post install instructions are still valid with the exception that IPV6 is currently disabled in the CODA-4582.  That will remain, hopefully not much longer, until the firmware for newly delivered modems is sorted out as its not compatible with IPV6 operation.

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/Getting_connected/message-id/348...

When you are sending the private message as indicated in those posts, please indicate;

Message title:  Rogers Rocket Wi-Fi Modem Firmware Trial

Message contents:

1.  Modem model: CODA-4582

2.  Modem MAC address; and

3.  Modem Serial Number

You can log into your modem and copy the HFC MAC address and modem Serial number and paste that into the message. The HFC MAC Address and modem Serial Number can be found on the STATUS page that is displayed when you log into the modem. The Cable Modem MAC Address and S/N can also be found on the back of the modem.

@KepneR one point to keep in mind, with .27 loaded, the CGNM-3552 will be limited to ~20 Mb/s upload instead of the 50 Mbs/ that the modem is capable of running.  That should be corrected in the next firmware release.

RC2002
I'm here a lot

I have been .24 for 2 days and internet keeps disconnected foe every 45-60minutes. I need to power cycle everytime. This is unbearable.

gp-se
I'm an advisor

@RC2002 wrote:

I have been .24 for 2 days and internet keeps disconnected foe every 45-60minutes. I need to power cycle everytime. This is unbearable.

@RC2002 Can you login to the gateways and post the signal levels under the DOCSIS WAN page. Please remove your ip address when you post it. Also have you tried contacting Rogers when you get disconnected so they can run a diagnostics on the modem while it's disconnected?

Mythen
I plan to stick around

@RogersDave @Datalink

Just today I've gotten this error in the modem logs and the modem has rebooted twice 

Started Unicast Maintenance Ranging - No Response received - T3 time-out

Any ideas 

Mythen

SeanMM
I plan to stick around

Been online for over two days without rebooting... since being upgraded to .24. Only seen one warning message.

1 02/19/2017 19:45:23 84020200 warning Lost MDD Timeout;CM-MAC=MYMAC;CMTS-MAC=MYMAC;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;

tester2013
I plan to stick around

Facing the same issues as before....Im on .24 and have to reboot every two hours...I have factory reset the modem and unligged for 30 secs...not using any other router...

Any inputs?