Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FEEDBACK - Rogers Rocket Wi-Fi Modem Firmware Trial

RogersMargaret
Community Manager (Retired)
Community Manager (Retired)

Hello Community,

We are currently offering our users an exclusive opportunity to participate in an upcoming trial of the new firmware for our Rocket Wi-Fi Modem (CGN3ACR, CGN3AMR and CGN3ACSMR) and Rocket Gigabit Wi-Fi Modem (CGN3552 and CODA-4582). For details of this program, please see this thread.

This thread will be used for feedback regarding the firmware.  We've invited @RogersSergio@RogersSyd & @RogersBob from our Networking team to participate in this thread.  Your feedback is very valuable and will be used to enhance the firmware before it is released publicly.

Thank you for your continued feedback and support.

4,921 REPLIES 4,921

Re: FEEDBACK - Rogers Rocket Wi-Fi Modem Firmware Trial

rjmaxim
I plan to stick around

@RyzenFX wrote:

@rjmaxim 

OP was mistaken and thought it was FTTC, but instead they replaced the existing coax with new coax. They also relieved any sort of congestion experienced by adding 4-5 new nodes, as well as another 4-5 new nodes in the other end of OP's neighbourhood. 

I agree with you that internet prices are too expensive, and we do need competition to lower prices but with so little competition there's not really much we can do than bargain for better deals like the $35 500u going around right now.

Have you ever talked to customer support about congestion in your neighborhood? Maybe they could give you some insight if your neighbourhood is slated to be upgraded like the one above.

@RyzenFX 

Thx.....I was being factious.

I have spoken with CS but led to nothing..... will also look into OP's comments. Pricing and Performance are just but a few things. My other point was about clarity....Rogers should clarify their Ultimate Fibre/Hybrid Fibre vs Ignite Internet offerings. It's unclear to me.....Where an Ultimate Fibre 350Dwn/350Up and Hybrid Fibre 250, 150, 60  fit in their Ignite Internet line of 1Gb/500Mb/150Mb. If you add pricing...it really gets confusing and weird (without even considering performance). Add Ignite IPTV....and it gets blurry, when bandwidth, latency and consistency are paramount. 

Has anyone dealt with the OoP (office of the president) and received favorable results? Smiley Wink  

RyzenFX
I'm a reliable contributor

@RogersIan

Thanks for the update.

When you refer to Band Steering, do you mean that it is coming to the CGN models?

RyzenFX

@rjmaxim

To clarify, I believe that Rogers only offers "true" Fibre internet to its business customers, and Ignite Internet is only available for residential customers. If you're still not getting anywhere close to the speeds you are paying for, try contacting @CommunityHelps or if that doesn't help you can always raise your issue to the OOTP. 

@rjmaxim wrote:

My other point was about clarity....Rogers should clarify their Ultimate Fibre/Hybrid Fibre vs Ignite Internet offerings. It's unclear to me.....Where an Ultimate Fibre 350Dwn/350Up and Hybrid Fibre 250, 150, 60  fit in their Ignite Internet line of 1Gb/500Mb/150Mb. If you add pricing...it really gets confusing and weird (without even considering performance). Add Ignite IPTV....and it gets blurry, when bandwidth, latency and consistency are paramount.

I'm not sure about "Ultimate Fibre" (is this different from Hi-Speed Internet Ultimate which IIRC was 250 megabits? At one point there was a faster tier for customers on FTTH so maybe that's where that came from...), but "Hybrid Fibre" is just an old marketing name for Rogers Internet.

Once upon a time, they had named Internet plans, e.g. Rogers Hi-Speed Internet Express/Extreme/Ultimate/etc. (I forget the name of the others - there were a couple slower tiers than 'Express' which was the mainstream option) These had inconsistent speeds, too, depending on which flavour of the plan you had - e.g. the DOCSIS 3 variant of Extreme was significantly faster than the grandfathered DOCSIS 2 variant.

Then, perhaps in response to Bell's 'Fibe' branding, they renamed all the plans Hybrid Fiber X, where X is the download speed. Also started including modem rental price in the advertised price on the web site, though the invoice continued to have it as a separate line item. (It's worth noting Videotron in Quebec continues to brand its Internet plans "hybrid fiber")

Then they again rebranded the plans, maybe a little over 3 years ago, to Rogers Ignite Internet and rebalanced the speed tiers, e.g. the Hybrid Fiber 150 I used to have was... replaced with Ignite 100u and 250u, IIRC. I think that's also when they added gigabit as the top tier (the top Hybrid Fiber was 500 IIRC).

But all of these names are fundamentally describing the same thing, i.e. some newer DOCSIS generation over RF, either on coax or RFoG.

ffdhfhf
I plan to stick around
Bug in Firmware 2.0.10.36T6? for CODA-4582U (HW revision 1A)

Hello,

I have noticed some issues with this firmware version, today I was getting 10-20% packet loss until I rebooted modem.

I don't know when I/or it was rebooted last. I do use a lot of bandwidth for games, work use. So something destabilized over time with this build.

Thanks,

Shawn.

@ffdhfhf there is a good chance that you have a cable or connector issue on the go.  That problem can be temporarily resolved by a modem reboot, but, the reboot doesn't solve the underlying problem.  No doubt there is the possibility that there might be a modem bug which takes a considerable amount of time to manifest itself, but, a cable and/or connector issues comes to mind when I see a packet loss indication such as yours.  

To determine if there is a packet loss problem with the external cabling or connectors:

1.  Run a trace to anywhere:  tracert www.google.com

2.  Take the second IP address in that trace which should be the Cable Modem Termination System address, and ping that address:  ping -t xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

3.  Let that ping test run for a considerable amount of time.  I'm assuming that you have an unlimited account.  If so let that run overnight. 

4. Check the final results when you terminate the test.  Use Crtl + C to terminate the test.  If you have a packet loss situation still on the go, you should see that in the results of the ping test.  If you watch the test while its running, you might see the lost packets as they occur.  

5.  If you do confirm that there is a packet loss situation on the go, call tech support and advise the Customer Service Rep that your seeing packet loss between the modem and the CMTS.  Ask him or her to run a signal check on the modem.  That may or may not indicate a problem with the signal levels.  Its a one shot check, running only when requested by the CSR.  So, it may or may not catch a signal issue.  The ongoing ping test will pick up on packet loss issues.  The CSR can also run a ping test, either by pinging the modem, or by pinging the CMTS from the modem. 

JohnBeaudin
I'm a senior contributor

Good Afternoon Community,

I had to swap to a new CODA modem today(I believe it's my 6th CODA modem).

Who do I need to contact to register for the BETA program again?

Also, the tech told me the CODA modem was not the greatest but thankfully a new modem will be available this summer and should be much better.

What modem is he referring to? and what are the specs of this new modem?

@Datalink @RyzenFX @RogersIan

RyzenFX

@JohnBeaudin wrote:

Good Afternoon Community,

I had to swap to a new CODA modem today(I believe it's my 6th CODA modem).

Who do I need to contact to register for the BETA program again?

Also, the tech told me the CODA modem was not the greatest but thankfully a new modem will be available this summer and should be much better.

What modem is he referring to? and what are the specs of this new modem?

@Datalink @RyzenFX @RogersIan

@JohnBeaudin

I'm not really sure what modem it could be, but looking at the recent Hitron gateways approved by Industry Canada, it is definitely possible that  it could be the CODA-4589 or CODA-4680. I know for a fact that Rogers has/had plans in the past to introduce a second gateway, and I was hinted a while back that it could possibly be another Hitron modem.

However, I really hope Rogers plans to introduce a new modem with a Broadcom SoC. I also know for a fact that Intel has been struggling with DOCSIS 3.1 uplink, and that is why the launch has been pushed back multiple times and is also why our modems will require a firmware update for OFDMA to work correctly. Broadcom, on the other hand doesn't have these issue as their SoCs run very well.  

On another note, I was looking around and found that Bell is testing their new IPTV box, produced by Arris.

JohnBeaudin
I'm a senior contributor

Can @RogersIan confirm about the new modem?

RyzenFX

@JohnBeaudin 

Not so fast. He's most likely under NDA Smiley Happy

RyzenFX

@RogersIan 

The new DOCSIS 3.1 spec (CM-SP-MULPIv3.1) has been updated with support with Low Latency DOCSIS, and aims to take the latency improvement found in active queue management, and bring the latency even lower. They say that low latency DOCSIS can be applied via software update through the modem and the CMTS. 

Is Rogers aware of this and are working with Casa/Hitron/Intel to implement this on the network? Theoretically, it sounds like a great QoS improvement and is easy to implement.

Low Latency DOCSIS info webpage: https://www.cablelabs.com/low-latency-docsis

JohnBeaudin
I'm a senior contributor

I am wondering the same thing, hopefully @RogersIan will come online soon..

Hi there - wondering if you can help me out.

I recently moved and am having the same issue which you posted this as a solution. After pinging the IP for an hour, I didn't have any packet loss however my average ping was 50ms with a high of 900ms. I would guess this result isn't great however looking to confirm. Thanks! (I'm using the T6 firmware as well).

@ASimkins , can you let me know:

1.  what your ping target is; and

2.  what type of ping your're using, ICMP, TCP/IP, or UDP? and

3.  What you're using to run the ping test, Command line ping with text data, Command line ping using Wireshark to plot the data, or Pingplotter to run and plot the test?

ablatt
I plan to stick around

How's the progress with the .37T2 firmware going?

hoopdogg
I plan to stick around

@RogersIan3 weeks ago you mentioned a firmware build following failed 37T2 that was being tested.  Is there any status update on that build and eta on it or next build being deployed to the trial users?

hoek
I plan to stick around

I don't know if this is 36T6 but the last week I've lost sync 4 times and speeds have been all over map.

After a modem reboot speeds are better then back to being up and down.   Access to 192.168.100.1 eventually disappears so I can't even reboot the modem remotely.  Running bridged.

ablatt
I plan to stick around
The exact same thing is happening to me. Midtown Toronto.

hoek
I plan to stick around

Just lost sync now.  Ottawa, Barrhaven.  Been a few minutes and hasn't come back.  I'm remote so I can't physically unplug the modem.  I guess now I need a cheap but reliable backup isp and a smart outlet so i can hard boot the rogers modem.  Yea that's gigabit service...

mcsandy
I plan to stick around

Are you using bridge mode? I currently have over 100 days up time running in gateway mode. 

hoek
I plan to stick around

Bridged since I started the service almost a year ago. 

There was a period where it was pretty stable.  I think before I asked to be part of the trials about 4-5 months ago 🙂

It came back after a few minutes then choppy, then dropped again.

I'll try gateway mode when I get home tonight though I have zero need for the wireless and gateway functionality on this modem.