Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FEEDBACK - Rogers Rocket Wi-Fi Modem Firmware Trial

RogersMargaret
Community Manager (Retired)
Community Manager (Retired)

Hello Community,

We are currently offering our users an exclusive opportunity to participate in an upcoming trial of the new firmware for our Rocket Wi-Fi Modem (CGN3ACR, CGN3AMR and CGN3ACSMR) and Rocket Gigabit Wi-Fi Modem (CGN3552 and CODA-4582). For details of this program, please see this thread.

This thread will be used for feedback regarding the firmware.  We've invited @RogersSergio@RogersSyd & @RogersBob from our Networking team to participate in this thread.  Your feedback is very valuable and will be used to enhance the firmware before it is released publicly.

Thank you for your continued feedback and support.

4,921 REPLIES 4,921

Re: FEEDBACK - Rogers Rocket Wi-Fi Modem Firmware Trial

Makaveli99
I plan to stick around

lol lucky you.

I couldn't get back online after numerous reboots and it was down all day today until I got home from work and call rogers. I was told there was signal issues in my area.

804/12/2018 05:09:3469010100noticeSW Download INIT - Via NMS
904/12/2018 05:09:5969011100noticeSW download Successful - Via NMS

Now i'm back up and running on the T5.

WestPoint
I plan to stick around

@User1445713 thanks for confirming what I already knew about the DHCP not working. I wouldnt have wasted my time here if it was working correctly. And old Info and old reservations dont work on my network either, its COMPLETELY RANDOM after ever reboot, only my printer which I set within itself gets the correct IP becuase I set it too 192.168.0.33 so I can find it quick and check it. And yes, changes to the DHCP reservation list should cause a soft reboot of the modem. A hard reboot is you having to unplug it to reboot. If it doesnt reset, it may not assign any new reservations to the correct items.

As for the person who told me to use DHCP IPs from 10-50... I have MORE THAN 40 devices total, between wired and wireless connections. Almost 25 wired devices alone. I cannot and will not limit the IP range nor am I willing to enter the MAC for every device to get a DHCP reservation. I have setup the first IP ranges, 192.168.0.10 - 192.168.0.65 with my devices and some MACs that are acctually fake place holders to stop the IP from being given out period, so I can add a future device to that IP without disrupption. But every IP is random and not given its reservation, inculding giving DHCP reserved IPs to the wrong DHCP device that already has its own reservation, not to mention the CODA seems to like to hand out 192.168.0.10 too multiple devices and they all go nutz. My smart home Hubs, Smasung, Lutron, Philips Hue, ect. all get 192.168.0.10 every once in a while, all of them at the same time, and then none of them will work. I cant turn on and off lights, nothing, but Ill run WireShark on my PC and sure enough they keep trying to refresh their IPs only to be given 192.168.0.10 from the DHCP even tho there reservations are set for much higher IPs and to not be the same.

I cant come up with an explenation for this. Only that MAYBE the power save feature as someone mentioned, is causing the CODA to drop the devices and not reconeect them correctly. But that cant be disabled in most devices, so there needs to be a change to the CODA to keep it from dropping clients in low power mode, or stand by, like my Xbox One S and smart hubs. If thats not the issue, as I mentioned, I can only keep guessing, and my next guess would be the IPv6 addresses are interfearing with the IPv4 addresses and making the issues. Which I think may be just as likely since people have been posting on ALOT of forums online about this CODA modems speed test results, not just here, but even here on Rogers, people have shown the IPv4 links are getting almost no connection, sometimes less than 100Mbps on gigabit plan, yet it should be MUCH MORE. Esspecially since ALOT of BIG companines still do not support IPv6 to their servers yet, and some, inculding Netflix, have BLOCKED IPv6 too IPv4 tunneling, so you MUST have a vaild, quick, and stable IPv4 still to do most things online until the world completely upgrades to IPv6. If they are just trying to focus on IPv6, they may have unintentionally caused IPv4 issues now that need to be looked into

WestPoint
I plan to stick around

@coder_1990 yes Ive noticed MASSIVE degredation online with the last few updates, facebook chat goes offline randomly, basic websites load in mobile view becuase the data rate is so low it thinks im on a cell phone, heck, I have had ScotiaBanks website load and not have a single red mark load on the page, just blue, old fashioned links, which is crazy because their entire site is red everywhere. But for some reason, the networks are really lagging out on basic tasks. I had to refresh the Rogers log in page twice today alone just to sign in. and I have Gigabit! With a 10ft Cat6e cable into my computer and a 1.0 Gbps network card, dual core i5 processors, 64bit OS, and 16GB RAM. there is NO REASON I should not have the fastest internet around and deff no reason I should EVER have to refresh a page because it only half loaded.

Yet my Xbox took 1.5hrs to download an 850MB update yesterday. that should have been MIN not HRS. Gigabit plan works out to approx. 125 MBps, or 1000 Mbps. which means I should have had that file in less than 10min FOR SURE, if not within 5min, jeeze at 125 MBps I should have had it in under 1 min.... NOT 1.5HRS, thru again, a cat6 cable direct to the CODA.

Shafeen
I plan to stick around

I have 500u and I agree that the speeds are garbage. Everything runs so slow even when directly connected with a cat 6 cable to the modem. I had faster and more reliable internet when I was on the 30Mbps plan!

blues_clues
I plan to stick around

@WestPointwrote:

@User1445713 thanks for confirming what I already knew about the DHCP not working. I wouldnt have wasted my time here if it was working correctly. And old Info and old reservations dont work on my network either, its COMPLETELY RANDOM after ever reboot, only my printer which I set within itself gets the correct IP becuase I set it too 192.168.0.33 so I can find it quick and check it. And yes, changes to the DHCP reservation list should cause a soft reboot of the modem. A hard reboot is you having to unplug it to reboot. If it doesnt reset, it may not assign any new reservations to the correct items.

@WestPointI've had this issue before.  My solution was to go to each device that was in the reservation table and release the DHCP lease, then remove each entry from the CODA DHCP  reservation table, reboot the CODA, add all addresses back and do one reboot.  If you add each one individually and save the config, you will have to reboot each time.  I only have 3 devices under reservation so it's not too much a chore for me to repeat my procedure.  Hitron should really fix their implementation of this feature as it is cumbersome.

Hi @tombgoodu

Could you provide additional information on the legacy laptop?

This could be an interop issue but would need to understand what wifi card your computer is running.

Also you may want to look into whether your laptop adapter supports WPA2/AES which is the default mode supported by the gateway

Cheers,

RogersSergio

@wpak

Can you provide additional info on when you see this error message?

What device are you using, is there a specific application, does it happen on more than one device, etc.
Any additional information you can share will help us ensure we can properly respond to your concern.

Thank you,

RogersSergio

RogersSergio
Product Manager
Product Manager

We are continuing to work on the issues you've been flagging and although I haven't been able to respond to every item I am raising them internally and to the vendor to be investigated and fixed.

In the meantime I am rolling out a new CODA firmware 2.0.10.34T6 which has a small update over the T5 code. Not sure anyone will notice any differences in the code but wanted to know if there was any changes.

I also wanted to provide an update that a more significant update to the CODA firmware is coming shortly which should improve traffic handling.

Once again thank you all for your support in testing

Regards,

RogersSergio

@RogersSergio is the improvement in traffic handling arriving in the form of improvements to the OFDM processing, or something else such as better ethernet traffic management after the OFDM data is converted to ethernet packets?  Just wondering what side of the modem will improve, the external Docsis side or internal ethernet side? 

Shafeen
I plan to stick around

Can someone please help me with this error I keep getting in the logs?

04/11/2018 17:56:4682000200criticalNo Ranging Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=xxxx;CMTS-MAC=xx;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;

@Shafeen the modem has sent a number of Ranging Requests to the CMTS and has not received a response.  Essentially its a request for a maintenance period where the modem receives a number of variables from the CMTS which are necessary to keep the modem in operation and in sync.  So, the modem times out as that maintenance period is not available and logs the event.  After that it carries on, and will go thru the same Ranging Request fairly soon.  This is a repetitive event, so, missing a maintenance period every so often shouldn't disrupt the modem's operations. 

JohnBeaudin
I'm a senior contributor

Thanks for the update @RogersSergio

@Datalink has a really good question that I am sure many of us would like to know the answer.

Shafeen
I plan to stick around

Just got T6 sent to my modem just now - why would you do this during the day?? 

04/13/2018 15:49:2969010100noticeSW Download INIT - Via NMS
1004/13/2018 15:49:5669011100noticeSW download Successful - Via NMS

zardoz99
I plan to stick around

Just received :

Software Version

2.0.10.34T6

It looks like the USB/SMB protocol issues are resolved. Once again I can see the connected USB HDD.

$ nmap -sT 192.168.0.1

Starting Nmap 7.40 ( https://nmap.org ) at 2018-04-13 16:04 EDT
Nmap scan report for hitron1 (192.168.0.1)
Host is up (0.0056s latency).
Not shown: 994 filtered ports
PORT STATE SERVICE
53/tcp open domain
80/tcp open http
139/tcp open netbios-ssn
443/tcp open https
445/tcp open microsoft-ds
668/tcp open mecomm

Nmap done: 1 IP address (1 host up) scanned in 4.88 seconds

$ nmap -sT -P0 192.168.0.254

Starting Nmap 7.40 ( https://nmap.org ) at 2018-04-13 16:07 EDT
Nmap scan report for CODA4582 (192.168.0.254)
Host is up (0.0085s latency).
Not shown: 997 filtered ports
PORT STATE SERVICE
111/tcp open rpcbind
139/tcp open netbios-ssn
445/tcp open microsoft-ds

Nmap done: 1 IP address (1 host up) scanned in 5.02 seconds

Thanks!

WestPoint
I plan to stick around
@zardoz99 yea me too, USB SMB is back and working now, awsome eh!

But yes I would like to mention too, any particular reason it was flashed during the day, and during business hours no less? Normally Rogers waits until 1 am or so... @RogersSergio was there a reason to force flash it durning the day? Security flaw that needed fixing or ?
I havnt checked my DHCP reservations just yet, abit busy, but assuming that the issue is still being looked into by the post above

RogersSergio
Product Manager
Product Manager

For those with one of our AC devices i am rolling out the latest test code 4.5.8.38T5 which adds a small update over the .38T4 code to improve performance/stability of the client we use to communicate with the device. This change is not expected to be customer impacting but we are looking to increase our test pool to make sure 🙂

With the recent challenges we encountered and have resolved with the CODA we are really interested in your feedback on your overall experience with extra attention to the WiFi experience.

Thank you

RogersSergio

DavidPC
I plan to stick around

@Shafeenwrote:

Just got T6 sent to my modem just now - why would you do this during the day?? 

04/13/2018 15:49:2969010100noticeSW Download INIT - Via NMS
1004/13/2018 15:49:5669011100noticeSW download Successful - Via NMS

IIRC, @RogersDave mentioned that firmware flashes for trial participants are during the day so that any issues identified can be immediately addressed by the network team, so that if a rollback needs to occur it can be done so promptly.

Shafeen
I plan to stick around

Question - I was on 30Mbps and upgraded to 500u. Modem was changed.

Pages would load much faster and the experience for browsing at home was awesome when I was on 30Mbps.

You would expect that moving to 500u, I would get a better experience. I get the speeds (can get 400Mbps on WiFi and 500Mbps on wired), but experience is very poor. Can't load pages, can't search gamil, can't download images on whatsapp , etc...

What is going on here???

I suspect that there is never a "good time" for a firmware update.  At this point in time, with trial firmware, although I've never seen any rollout issues throughout all of the various versions that I've run for trial purposes, there is always the possibility.  All the more reason to do this during the day when the network and engineering staff are around to resolve any issues.  In a worst case scenario, if something does go wrong, you can always run a factory reset which would result in loading the current network wide version (.28??) I believe.  

@Shafeen can you log into the modem, navigate to the STATUS .... DOCSIS WAN page, copy the downstream and upstream table, all in one go top to bottom, and paste that into a post.  Ignore the data that sits above the Downstream table as that is modem specific and shouldn't be posted in an open forum.  The copy and paste process will paste in the text contents of the table. 

WestPoint
I plan to stick around

@Datalink @RogersSergio

Thank you!! I never really considered that you would want the team available incase of mayjor issues and a rollback needed.

But now I will never complain of day time updates again! They are a pain, I lost my Quickbooks Network and a bunch of changes that were being made at the time, but to know it was done with protection and fore thought in mind makes it ok, I guess, lol, at least makes redoing the work not upsetting as much