Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FEEDBACK - Rogers Rocket Wi-Fi Modem Firmware Trial

RogersMargaret
Community Manager (Retired)
Community Manager (Retired)

Hello Community,

We are currently offering our users an exclusive opportunity to participate in an upcoming trial of the new firmware for our Rocket Wi-Fi Modem (CGN3ACR, CGN3AMR and CGN3ACSMR) and Rocket Gigabit Wi-Fi Modem (CGN3552 and CODA-4582). For details of this program, please see this thread.

This thread will be used for feedback regarding the firmware.  We've invited @RogersSergio@RogersSyd & @RogersBob from our Networking team to participate in this thread.  Your feedback is very valuable and will be used to enhance the firmware before it is released publicly.

Thank you for your continued feedback and support.

4,921 REPLIES 4,921

Re: FEEDBACK - Rogers Rocket Wi-Fi Modem Firmware Trial

kara2
I plan to stick around

Hey should I also still keep the settings you recommended? I still have them like that. 

As for higher channels, I have it on 149-153-157-161 instead of auto, is that what you are saying to do for the data bits?

Thanks

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Yes, keep the settings that I recommended.  Using channels 149-153-157-161, which is the higher output power range will or should give you more data bits per wifi packet, resulting in a higher data rate.  Locking the modem to that channel range will prevent it from switching automatically, on its own, to the lower channel range which will drop the usable distance from the modem.  You could run an experiment to confirm this at your location.  Set the modem as recommended, and then walk the laptop over to the furthest point that you would normally use the laptop.  Let the signal levels settle out for two to three minutes and then run a speed test.  Then, change the channels to the lower 5 Ghz channels, which will automatically drop the power output in both directions, let the signal levels settle out for another two to three minutes and run another speedtest.  If you're far enough from the modem, you will probably see a difference in the data rates.  It also depends on whether or not you're competing with anyone else for those channels.  If you are, then you should definitely see a difference between the two channel sets.  

To run the speedtest, use the www.speedtest.net Toronto Rogers or Montreal Rogers servers, which ever is closer to your home. 

Edit:  Fwiw, I do the same, although I'm using a router and competing with both of my immediate neighbors for the upper 5 Ghz channels.  End result, keeping the wifi in the upper channel range produces a faster data rate when compared to operating in the lower channel range.  That's compared at the same location for the test laptop, which is at the other end of the house from where the router sits. 

kara2
I plan to stick around
Thanks so much, I will experiment with it. I have a new problem, it will randomly disconnect my pc internet for a few seconds, im not sure if its a usb issue with the internet adapter, or the adapter, or just a random occurence.

Hopefully my troubles are over!

kara2
I plan to stick around

Oh and this was the error when the internet went out 5 minutes ago i believe:

03/07/2018 13:38:51 90000000 warning MIMO Event MIMO: Stored MIMO=-1 post cfg file MIMO=-1;CM-MAC=xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx;CMTS-MAC=00:17:10:91:8a:22;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;

kara2
I plan to stick around
And lastly, according to acrylic, my neighbour is using the same 5g channels!

kara2
I plan to stick around

For some reason on dslreports and speedtest it wont let me see my upload anymore, in fact on speedtest when it does upload check it actually turns my wifi off, and dsl says it goes or stays at zero - i tried turning off anti virus but nada

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Driver issues??  Are you using a laptop with a USB Wifi dongle,  or a desktop with a USB Wifi dongle?  For the laptop, you would have to disable the onboard wifi adapter.  

For the MIMO events that you mentioned above, I've seen both cases, where the event occurs and disables the modem, and where it has no effect.  

SVNTI
I've been here awhile

It seems my CODA is using the incorrect country code. I ran wireless diagnostics on MacOS and received a couple errors. One was incorrect country code on my Modem, and a LAN connectivity issue. As of now I'm able to connect to Wi-Fi with less than ideal speeds at times but I still get that LAN error. 

How do I go about setting the correct country code on the CODA, and what can I do about the LAN issue?

I'm on 2.0.10.33T03 / Hardware version 1A.

Thanks!

Screen Shot 2018-03-08 at 11.33.35 AM.png

kara2
I plan to stick around
I'm using a desktop with no built in wifi, but a usb dual band adapter, the driver thing is fixed and my speeds are back to normal. the new problem is that when i test uploads online it either turns off wifi temporarily and doesn't give report, or the connection drops .

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

That almost sounds like a bad driver install.  I would roll back the driver just to get it working again, even with lower rates, and then confirm that the updated driver is the correct one.  Just out of curiosity, why use wifi instead of ethernet?  Location of the desktop?  And if so, are you in a newer home where you might have ethernet cabling available but not completely installed?  That will depend on the age of the house.  

gp-se
I'm an advisor

@SVNTI wrote:

It seems my CODA is using the incorrect country code. I ran wireless diagnostics on MacOS and received a couple errors. One was incorrect country code on my Modem, and a LAN connectivity issue. As of now I'm able to connect to Wi-Fi with less than ideal speeds at times but I still get that LAN error. 

How do I go about setting the correct country code on the CODA, and what can I do about the LAN issue?

I'm on 2.0.10.33T03 / Hardware version 1A.

Thanks!

Unplug your CODA modem and run wireless diag again. It's saying a nearby router is causing this issue, it doesn't necessarily mean it's the CODA. 

If the error goes away with the CODA unplugged, and reappears once you connect the CODA then I suggest setting your wifi settings on the Modem like this:

2.4Ghz: Wireless Channel 1, 6, or 11 Channel Width 20Mhz

5Ghz: Wireless Channel 149+ Channel Width 80Mhz If there is an option for DFS Channels turn that off.

If that still doesn't fix the issue then swap the modem, there is no user configurable option for the County Code.

SVNTI
I've been here awhile

I'm certain that the country code from the CODA is US as both my 2.4Ghz, 5Ghz connections are labeled in the list as US. I did go ahead and change my settings as you recommended anyway to see if my connection improves but I guess I have no choice but to swap the CODA for another one?

How would I go about making sure the next one has a CA country code? Is it something I should definitely do or do you think it wouldn't make a huge difference either way? Plenty of other connections around me are US as well.

Thanks for your help btw!

kara2
I plan to stick around
Yeah the desktop isn't close enough to the modem and I don't like running wires along the walls as they look bad. House is from the 1920s!

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@kara2 thats a tough one.  The lattice walls with chicken wire and mortar doesn't help when it comes to wifi reception.  Were you able to figure out the problem with the USB wifi adapter?  

Here's some food for thought.  Although a USB wifi dongle can work, depending on the range to the modem, if its in the budget, consider installing one of the following wifi cards in the desktop, replacing the USB dongle:

https://www.asus.com/ca-en/Networking/PCEAC68/

https://www.asus.com/ca-en/Networking/PCE-AC88/

http://www.canadacomputers.com/search_results.php?search_in=&keywords=PCE-AC88

If I was in a position where the desktop absolutely had to have a wifi connection, my first choice would be the PCE-AC88.  That's a four antenna system, which would give you four data streams to and from the modem.  The 4582 modem has three 2.4 Ghz antenna and four 5 Ghz antenna, so, the PCE-AC88 should work pretty well with the modem.  

Stepping down from there, my next choice would be the PCE-AC68, and lastly, if I was going to use a dongle, I would use a USB-AC68:

https://www.asus.com/ca-en/Networking/USB-AC68/

The one thing to look at is whether your current wifi adapter is plugged into the back of the desktop or if its sitting upright in a cradle.  I recommend using the cradle as that allows the dongle to sit somewhere above or close to the desktop, where its not shielded by the computer case, which in many cases is made out of steel or aluminum. 

Lastly, you could always install a router near the desktop and run the router in Bridge mode,where it acts as a wifi bridge back to the modem.  The router also acts as a local wired access point.  Definitely more money, but, that should solve any problems that users might have in tough environments.  There are also the emerging mesh networks that are now on the market, but, that requires two or more routers to carry that one out. 

kara2
I plan to stick around

Hi Datalink,

The USB Dongle issue is resolved and speeds are back to normal. However, the issue now is the weird one with the upload, whether im on desktop or cell phone, dslreports says that upload falls to zero and stays there and, on speedtest its usually 16mbps which is correct but that test sometimes actually disconnects my internet. 

I will place the dongle on top of the computer instead of plugged into the back of the desktop but I have 100 percent signal luckily 🙂

gp-se
I'm an advisor

@SVNTI wrote:

I'm certain that the country code from the CODA is US as both my 2.4Ghz, 5Ghz connections are labeled in the list as US. I did go ahead and change my settings as you recommended anyway to see if my connection improves but I guess I have no choice but to swap the CODA for another one?

How would I go about making sure the next one has a CA country code? Is it something I should definitely do or do you think it wouldn't make a huge difference either way? Plenty of other connections around me are US as well.

Thanks for your help btw!

The US Country Code is fine, there is no need to worry. In North America WiFi can be either CA or US Country Code and will work without issue. No need to swap the modem because it shows US Country Code.

inker
I plan to stick around

I have CGNM 3552, what should be my firmware version? I think I’m behind a couple.  My version is 4.5.8.33

ab_racc
I've been around

As title says, wont update to current production firmware...

WestPoint
I plan to stick around

Just a note for EVERYONE on 100Mbps or faster speed and experiencing slow or errored testing on speedtest.net

DONT USE SPEEDTEST.NET through your browser, it cant handel a complex testing at that speed....

Open the Microsoft Store on any Windows PC and download the FREE SPEEDTEST.NET APP instead and run your speed tests there. Even says so on SpeedTest website if you have ad blocker off.

MASSIVE difference, I was getting MAX 250 on gigabit plan on speed tests thru my browser, but Im getting closer 750Mbps now testing this way

Huh??  I've never had an issue running speedtest.net through a browser for any level of service.  For gigabit service testing, Microsoft Edge with no extension or blocker equivalents loaded, appears to be the fastest browser available today.  I'll typically see 950/960 Mb/s down, 58 Mb/s up.

Triple_Helix
I plan to stick around

Not bad here: