Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FEEDBACK - Rogers Rocket Wi-Fi Modem Firmware Trial

RogersMargaret
Community Manager (Retired)
Community Manager (Retired)

Hello Community,

We are currently offering our users an exclusive opportunity to participate in an upcoming trial of the new firmware for our Rocket Wi-Fi Modem (CGN3ACR, CGN3AMR and CGN3ACSMR) and Rocket Gigabit Wi-Fi Modem (CGN3552 and CODA-4582). For details of this program, please see this thread.

This thread will be used for feedback regarding the firmware.  We've invited @RogersSergio@RogersSyd & @RogersBob from our Networking team to participate in this thread.  Your feedback is very valuable and will be used to enhance the firmware before it is released publicly.

Thank you for your continued feedback and support.

4,921 REPLIES 4,921

Re: FEEDBACK - Rogers Rocket Wi-Fi Modem Firmware Trial

JohnBeaudin
I'm a senior contributor

same here another reboot today.

User1445713
I plan to stick around

Daily reboots and slow logging into the WiFi when laptop is coming out of sleep mode.

Running Windows 10?  I remember reading of some issue with Windows 10 and sleep mode.

Have a look at the top info:

https://www.google.ca/search?q=windows+10+sleep+mode+wifi+problem&oq=windows+10+sleep+mode+wifi&aqs=...

The reboots are another issue.  Are you running a white CODA-4582 modem with firmware version V2.0.10.33 loaded?

WBarras
I plan to stick around

Evening,

I recently just got upgraded to the 150u plan (from 100u) and in conjunction with a new TV package (that gave me a new NextBox 4K PVR)

What I find weird was they didn't ask me to bring in my CGN3ACSMR as they did my very old NextBox 1.0. Should they have? Or am I okay to keep my current modem with no complications in the future?

I've tried looking here for answers and I've found maybe one repeating mention: DOSCIS 3.1 and lower noise levels on Roger's current modems. My son and daughter come back from university every couple weekends, and they'll be here for Christmas break and summer, does any of this help with the many electronic devices traffic in my house? The CGN is perfectly fine for my wife and I and running a speedtest actually gets us past 150MB/s.

My son also outfitted our setup by bridging a Netgear nighthawk or similar name to the modem. Does this in any way effect our wifi if we keep this modem vs. the new one? Also is it the same price to rent? Thanks in advance for your help! 

sputnik62
I'm here a lot

Has anyone called in the problem of modem rebooting 4-5 times a day? This modem has been such a disaster from day one.

arnym21
I plan to stick around

If CODA-4582 reverted from latest trial to production FW on reset, will it download back the trial FW on its own and when? Also, is there a way to switch back from Bridge to Gateway mode without resetting the modem by its reset button? Does it have WebUI IP in Bridge mode allowing to change its settings?

The problem I got after switching to Bridge mode with .33 FW was my 3rd party router got a WAN IP from a different range compare to modem's router IP in gateway mode, and its max WAN speed on a G-sub dropped to twice slower speed as measured by Rogers Speed Test. No other changes were made, with all connections wired and IPV6 off, the router in Router mode with WiFi off. Is that FW problem, or Rogers network assigns fast IPs only to Rogers MACs?

To access the modem's login page when the modem is in Bridge mode, either thru a router or with a direct connection, use 192.168.100.1   That will allow you to log into the modem and flip it back into Gateway mode.  When you do it that way, the modem will reboot back into Gateway mode with its previous Gateway mode settings intact.  

In terms of the speeds that you see from Gateway mode to Bridge mode, they should be identical, either thru a direct connection to the modem or connected thru the follow on router. 

The difference that might occur is if the modem is set for IPV4 mode only in Gateway mode and you are running an Asus router with IPV6 and AI Protection enabled.  With the modem in IPV4 Gateway mode, the router won't have an IPV6 address and the AI Protection won't kill your throughput rates. 

With the modem in Bridge mode and the router in full router mode, if its an Asus router with IPV6 and AI Protection enabled, the pc will default to IPV6 addressing and the AI protection will kill the throughput rate due to packet scans for IPV6 data or sites. 

The same situation might exist for other routers.  That would take a careful examination of what the router does with the data, IPV4 or IPV6 dependent. 

Edit:  When you refer to a "G-sub", is that to imply an 802.11g wifi network?  What does "G-sub" mean exactly?

If you run a factory reset on a modem that has a trial firmware version loaded, it will downgrade to the network wide version at the start of the factory reset as there is a firmware version check included in the reset.  Once that downgrade is done, its permanent unless you pm @CommunityHelps to have the trial version reloaded.

arnym21
I plan to stick around

Thanks for the heads on. Not applicable in my case router wise, so the 2 times WAN speed drop might still be modem trial FW issue?

On a separate note, my PC LAN card is maxed out at 650Mbps at present on a G-sub (i.e. Ignite Gigabit subscription plan) , while the tech's laptop shows 850Mbps with Rogers Speed Test. My Gig Ethernet server card was originally stack at 150Mbps, but I managed to get it to 650 by various optimizations. Still it feels slow for G-sub, so the Q is: what pro software I can use to find out which peace of software or hardware in my PC causes this limitation? What techniques like using Process Monitor, Windows 10 Pro Performance tools, etc would reveal that? Setting the router aside for now, with direct wired to the bridged modem?

First thing I would look at is the antivirus.  There is a post in here somewhere by one of the other users with Avast Antivirus.  Turns out it was killing the throughput rates.  So, disable the antivirus for a couple of minutes and see what you end up with. 

In terms of pc performance, there's a lot to consider, everything from cpu to memory speed and amount to hard drive transfer rates if you aren't using an SSD.  If your pc wasn't native Windows 10, as in it was built for Windows 7 or 8, look at the ethernet drivers.  Intel has windows 10 drivers for some but not all ethernet adapaters, can't say the same for other manufacturers.  Microsoft cooked Windows 10 to accept previous drivers, but, that doesn't necessarily produce great results.

If you connect directly to the modem, and run a speedtest with the modem in Gateway mode and then Bridge mode, you should see exactly the same data rates.  One work of caution however, restart the pc after you shift the modem from one mode to another as the pc might not pick up the correct address after changing the modem modes.  If you run a config/all command, you should see the change in IP addresses after the modem change over.  You can also run a quick check at ipv6-test.com   With IPV6 enabled in the pc, you should see a max score of 19/20.  The final 1/20 won't be attained as Rogers does not supply an IPV6 host address to the user. 

arnym21
I plan to stick around

Thanks for your feedback. A/V with Firewall test very efficient in my case. Will definitely look at old drivers challenge. No, the PC Ethernet card also shown twice lower speeds direct in modem bridge mode, not only through router, and both the card and router were seemingly having initial handshake issues with the modem in bridge mode. As to specific Windows network performance analysis tools in terms of what exactly limiting the speed - any suggestions? Would CPU raising to 75% during Rogers Speed Test (probably due to flash or HTML5 GPU unsupported decoding) be considered a limiting factor for speed, or Windows won't drop it till CPU reaches 100%?

Would enabling IPV6 everywhere give any real advantages speed wise? How about IPV6 security along the home equipment chain?

arnym21
I plan to stick around

@Datalink wrote:
Once that downgrade is done, its permanent unless you pm @CommunityHelps to have the trial version reloaded.

That sounds unusual. Once a modem serial number is included in the trial, its suppose to automatically receive all subsequent trial FW updates, which presumably means the trial FW server periodically checks current FW version on that modem? Why then it won't re-download the trial FW after reset? Or its works the other way around, where the modem with trial FW keeps checking for new versions, while modem with production FW doesn't?

The trial builds are pushed out via manual process. Maybe not individually, but through a manually controlled batch process.  The trial modems are protected from network wide updates where the trial build is still at a higher revision number when compared to the version that is released as a network wide version. 

Edit:  how old is the pc, and, does it happen to have a Realtek network adapter?

@WBarras, my personal opinion is to keep the CGN3ACSMR that you currently have.  If you're a gamer, then its worth considering a move to the CODA-4582.  There are some ongoing issues with the 4582, slow data rates for some users and reboots for some users.  I haven't seen any of those problems, ever.  Then there is also the problem with provisioning of modems these days taking more than a day to accomplish when it should be done when you pick up the modem.  Fwiw, you might want to wait out those issues.  You could potentially pick up a 4582 and experience absolutely no issues, or you might see all three of those at the present time.  Not trying to give you a nebulous answer, just pointing out the current issues 😞

Alex4161
I'm a senior contributor
@Datalink @arnym21

Here is the post I listed talking about speed issues and AV:

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Internet/Slow-Internet-Speeds-Check-your-Security-Software/td-p...

My suggestion is to uninstall other AV and just use Windows Defender along with Malwarebytes and that should give you decent protection. Having good web surfing habits is also critical. Last, make sure you don't have any Stateful Packet Inspection running on any devices and that will rob you of speed.

arnym21
I plan to stick around

Malwarebytes slows down traffic too quite a bit, especially on older PCs, even if CPU load increase is not noticeable. I updated your linked thread.

User1445713
I plan to stick around

I had reboot this morning CODA .33

First I lost wireless connection and probably 30s later my wife lost phone connection from VoIP wired adapter. It looks like wireless WiFi initiated reboot or was somehow involved in it this time.

Laptop takes a lot longer to log in to WiFi from sleep mode compared to previous .32. It is not Windows 10 issue with loosing WiFi after sleep mode. Laptop find the connection eventually but it is not visible at the beginning.

RyzenFX
I'm a reliable contributor

.33 and modem is still rebooting about once daily. Sucks to have it reboot on you while playing a game of League.

Mythen
I plan to stick around

I finally had to break down and factory reset my Coda to get rid of the .33 firmware.  the constant reboots were insane.    I really didn't want to as the ping spikes had really settled down with .33 firmware.  I work from home so I can't have these reboots happening.  

Mythen

tester2013
I plan to stick around

I hope @RogersDave has looked at the issue and working with the team to resolve this. I am also tempted to hit the reset button and go back to stock firmware on my CODA 4582.

arnym21
I plan to stick around

With 0.33 I had CODA running somewhat slower download speed in Gateway mode on Gigabit plan compare to stock FW. After switching to Bridge mode, the modem dropped download speed to twice slower on wired LAN, and I get Rogers WAN IP on a 3rd party router from a different range. Reverted to stock FW and Gateway mode, and the speed and WAN IP range get restored to original.

Good morning Community,

I'm sorry for the delay on responding to the CODA-4582 modem reboot issue, I was away for a week (I am apparently authorized to go on vacations once in a while Smiley Happy )

That being said, I'm not sure if it impacts everybody running in gateway mode or not but if you are impacted, the best course of action is to perform a factory reset which will bring you back to the production firmware (28T2 or 32 at the moment). Knowing that there is an issue for some of you on 2.0.10.33, I will not re-upgrade your modem until I discuss the matter with Hitron and receive an updated build.

Will be going through the forums and private messages over the next few days but I wanted to address this urgent issue right away.

Dave