Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FEEDBACK - Rogers Rocket Wi-Fi Modem Firmware Trial

RogersMargaret
Community Manager (Retired)
Community Manager (Retired)

Hello Community,

We are currently offering our users an exclusive opportunity to participate in an upcoming trial of the new firmware for our Rocket Wi-Fi Modem (CGN3ACR, CGN3AMR and CGN3ACSMR) and Rocket Gigabit Wi-Fi Modem (CGN3552 and CODA-4582). For details of this program, please see this thread.

This thread will be used for feedback regarding the firmware.  We've invited @RogersSergio@RogersSyd & @RogersBob from our Networking team to participate in this thread.  Your feedback is very valuable and will be used to enhance the firmware before it is released publicly.

Thank you for your continued feedback and support.

4,921 REPLIES 4,921

Re: FEEDBACK - Rogers Rocket Wi-Fi Modem Firmware Trial

@soundwave80 wrote:
If i wait for Rogers/Hitron to iron out the bugs and it's longer than 30 days what are the odds Rogers will go ahead and deactivate my rocket modem? I am on gigabite btw

Oh, they won't deactivate your 3552. It's just that your performance will likely drop because you'll be sharing your 32 channels of DOCSIS 3.0 with more people... (on the other hand, once D3.1 goes live, you won't be sharing with the 4582 users)

... and then, eventually, they'll remove even more D3.0 channels, which will make it physically impossible to reach gigabit speeds.

I expect that Rogers will be keeping a reasonable number of D3.0 channels up for a good number of years. But that 'reasonable number' won't be enough for good performance on the 500/gigabit plans, which is why they'd like to move those people to D3.1 hardware ASAP.

bla2342342342
I plan to stick around

So I applied yesterday to join the Firmware Trial on the CODA-4582 and know it'll probably be a few days before the test firmware is pushed to the modem.

In the meantime, I'm just throwing some information out there about why I deicded to try the trial.  Recently upgraded to Gigabit Internet and am getting perfectly fine speeds (930/40).  The uplink could be a little better but I'm not overly worried about that right now.  The one thing that's bugging me is *not* seeing what devices are connected to the router via WiFi.  I've read that this problem gets fixed in .21 so I'm looking forward to that.

My other problem is a little concerning and that's why I'm giving this a shot.  I'm currently on .19 with a black dot modem.  I came from the CGN3ACR which could do network shares perfectly fine between all machines on my network.

Fast forward to the 4582 and, well, not-so-much.  Haven't been able to get network shares to work via WiFi what-so-ever.  Can Remote Desktop between each machine on the network without issue but as soon as I click a networked folder (which is shared to Everyone in Win10), it takes forever to connect to the drive.  If I try to copy a file, it takes about 5 minutes to calculate and then "gives up" saying that the network connection is no longer available.

I've tried everything under the sun.  Creating new network, flushing DNS, sharing with Everyone with full Read/Write permissions, assigning DHCP reserverations, manually assigning IPs via network adapters outside of the DHCP pool and have had ZERO luck.  Can always connect quickly with Remote Desktop but the Mapped Network Drive takes forever to open and is never accessible.  Nor is the network connection via the Network area in Explorer.  I've disabled Firewall on the modem itself, I've disbled Firewalls on Bitdefender, I've added IPs as "trusted" to the modem and Bitdefender and none of this helps. All of this worked perfectly fine with the old modem under 250u and 100u but the new modem seems to be a bit of a pain in the butt.  

Will report back when I get a chance to try the test firmware.

Jeffj
I plan to stick around

@bla2342342342 wrote:

So I applied yesterday to join the Firmware Trial on the CODA-4582 and know it'll probably be a few days before the test firmware is pushed to the modem.

In the meantime, I'm just throwing some information out there about why I deicded to try the trial.  Recently upgraded to Gigabit Internet and am getting perfectly fine speeds (930/40).  The uplink could be a little better but I'm not overly worried about that right now.  The one thing that's bugging me is *not* seeing what devices are connected to the router via WiFi.  I've read that this problem gets fixed in .21 so I'm looking forward to that.

My other problem is a little concerning and that's why I'm giving this a shot.  I'm currently on .19 with a black dot modem.  I came from the CGN3ACR which could do network shares perfectly fine between all machines on my network.

Fast forward to the 4582 and, well, not-so-much.  Haven't been able to get network shares to work via WiFi what-so-ever.  Can Remote Desktop between each machine on the network without issue but as soon as I click a networked folder (which is shared to Everyone in Win10), it takes forever to connect to the drive.  If I try to copy a file, it takes about 5 minutes to calculate and then "gives up" saying that the network connection is no longer available.

I've tried everything under the sun.  Creating new network, flushing DNS, sharing with Everyone with full Read/Write permissions, assigning DHCP reserverations, manually assigning IPs via network adapters outside of the DHCP pool and have had ZERO luck.  Can always connect quickly with Remote Desktop but the Mapped Network Drive takes forever to open and is never accessible.  Nor is the network connection via the Network area in Explorer.  I've disabled Firewall on the modem itself, I've disbled Firewalls on Bitdefender, I've added IPs as "trusted" to the modem and Bitdefender and none of this helps. All of this worked perfectly fine with the old modem under 250u and 100u but the new modem seems to be a bit of a pain in the butt.  

Will report back when I get a chance to try the test firmware.

The beta firmware should resolve the majority of your issues.

As for how long it takes, its liek The Ring. 7 Days or so.

bla2342342342
I plan to stick around
I'm hoping so. Haven't bought a new router yet but was beginning to think that might've been the solution until I read that the TP-Link Archer AC2600 doesn't play well with the official firmware (but should with the trial one).

No worries waiting, I guess. 🙂

@bla2342342342

The beta firmware will solve your network share issues, the latest beta release is .23

BS
I'm a senior advisor

I have to begin to wonder just how many people are dealing with these issues, but are not part of this forum and are fighting away in silence.  I spoke to a rep the other day that didn't even know that there was beta testing going on.

So everybody waits.  "soon and hope" are the magic words of the day.

Bruce

bla2342342342
I plan to stick around

@BS wrote:

I have to begin to wonder just how many people are dealing with these issues, but are not part of this forum and are fighting away in silence.  I spoke to a rep the other day that didn't even know that there was beta testing going on.

So everybody waits.  "soon and hope" are the magic words of the day.

Bruce

That's what truly bothers me.  I've spent countless hours trying to troubleshoot something that's a basic function of a router (and something the older CGN3ACR could do in its sleep).  I don't understand how something so "standard" or basic fails to be caught before a product is mass-released.  And that's what's bothersome.

I'm just looking forward to getting everything up and running again (and am looking forward to the beta firmware).  Thanks to everybody here who has helped us get to this point.

rjmaxim
I plan to stick around

I am on Blackdot  2.0.10.19 Docsis 3.1 enabled and would be happy to get 930/40.....but average only 350/43 and often only 90/30. Personally not clear to me if joining the trial would improve my speeds.... The Beta pgm shows that current production firmware is .19 and trial firmware is .20.....yet, many already have .23 running. Your Network share issue maybe solved in .23 but I think Rogers still has a Docsis 3.1 speed issue which may or may not be related to the trial pgm. So I am confused and not sure if the Beta pgm will help and if the firmware release dates are only for those on the trial pgm(e.g  Jan 25  for .23). Let us know if your speeds change when you get new firmware.

rjmaxim
I plan to stick around

Can someone help me interpret the Event log....don't know if this is an issue and cause for my low speeds. Speed today has been real bad ....average 90/30 but now down to 25/10

The DOCSIS event logs:

No.         Time      Type      Priority Event

1              01/01/1970 00:01:04        82000200             critical   No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx;CMTS-MAC=00:17:10:93:65:89;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;

2              02/09/2017 23:25:33        90000000             warning                MIMO Event MIMO: Stored MIMO=1 post cfg file MIMO=-1;CM-MAC=xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx;CMTS-MAC=00:17:10:93:65:89;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;

3              02/10/2017 19:42:36        84020200             warning                Lost MDD Timeout;CM-MAC=xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx;CMTS-MAC=00:17:10:93:65:89;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;

4              02/11/2017 11:33:38        82000200             critical   No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx;CMTS-MAC=00:17:10:93:65:89;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;

yyzsam
I plan to stick around

You should really get a seperate router/ap/switch and isolate your network from the gateway and put it into bridge mode.

IMHO these combo modem/gateways are deigned for a couple phones, smart tvs and maybe a game console. Like me you are well past that. I perosnaly dislike combo anything...except for my printer.  🙂

blues_clues
I plan to stick around

@rjmaxim wrote:

I am on Blackdot  2.0.10.19 Docsis 3.1 enabled and would be happy to get 930/40.....but average only 350/43 and often only 90/30. Personally not clear to me if joining the trial would improve my speeds.... The Beta pgm shows that current production firmware is .19 and trial firmware is .20.....yet, many already have .23 running. Your Network share issue maybe solved in .23 but I think Rogers still has a Docsis 3.1 speed issue which may or may not be related to the trial pgm. So I am confused and not sure if the Beta pgm will help and if the firmware release dates are only for those on the trial pgm(e.g  Jan 25  for .23). Let us know if your speeds change when you get new firmware.

The SMB issue is fixed in .23.  The workaround until you get it is to access your shares via raw IP.   You cannot browse the workgroup or hosts by name.  eg.  to map a drive from a wireless device: net use * \\192.168.0.x" 

You can check the rolling updates and fixes in the early posts of this thread.

User1445713
I plan to stick around

@blues_clues wrote:

@rjmaxim wrote:

The SMB issue is fixed in .23.  The workaround until you get it is to access your shares via raw IP.   You cannot browse the workgroup or hosts by name.  eg.  to map a drive from a wireless device: net use * \\192.168.0.x" 

You can check the rolling updates and fixes in the early posts of this thread.

Using IP for network mapping helps only when you connect to CODA using LAN cable or other not CODA WiFi access point. This is after attempt to browse files on CODA wireless and without reboot of PC.

In my case Windows 10 and WD MYCloud SMB share is not accessible on CODA wireless at all even using IP ports for mapping. The only difference is that using IP ports for shares I can access them using cable or switching wireless network to other adapter without rebooting of my PC.

gp-se
I'm an advisor

@rjmaxim The firmware shouldn't make a huge difference in speed, however with the CODA I would highly suggest joining the beta program. The CODA needs the fast updates to fix a lot of the issues it's facing. A great example is the SMB issue, and it's only fixed in the BETA firmware. But with that said, if you're on a Gigabit Plan and only getting 300mb/s using a wired connection, then I would be calling tech support.

rjmaxim
I plan to stick around

Agreed....L2 is supposed to be working on it...Friday message said they need a bit more time. So I'll give them until Wednesday before bugging them again. Gigabit plan, Blk dot 1A, .19.....bridged to Linksys WRT3200ACM, using Cat 7. Coda appears stable sofar. Clearly Speed is only issue, which I believe is infrastructure (Headend to street). May decide to join Beta after update from L2. 

Don't know if there is a Netbox forum....But found some interesting behaviour that is different from the old 8300HD. When rogers pushes an overnight reboot....the blue "on" light stays on...from an "off" state.  Also found that brightness at highest setting is still relatively dim (particularly for older eyes). Probably lower energy LED... and Red would be better but Blue seems to the choice for most electronic appliances.      

gp-se
I'm an advisor

@rjmaxim just for testing purposes, have you tried doing a factory reset of the CODA (use a pen tip to push the reset button the back of the modem down for 20 seconds) And then running a speed test with a LAN cable directly connected to the CODA without using your third party Router.

rjmaxim
I plan to stick around

@gp-se wrote:

@rjmaxim just for testing purposes, have you tried doing a factory reset of the CODA (use a pen tip to push the reset button the back of the modem down for 20 seconds) And then running a speed test with a LAN cable directly connected to the CODA without using your third party Router.

Thx for your response. Did factory (hard) reset, actually takes longer than 20sec...more like 60 sec...then did native connect with Lan to Laptop...Speed test no different (My router and other equipement disconnected and off). Subsequently power cycled entire network....even turned-off 2.4Mhz band on my router  (in case of frequence interference with Coda as some suggested).....but average tests from three sources still show same results. e.g Down/Up-Latency

I did the pen tip reset on the Coda....Do you know if this is different from The Admin/Reset page where you can do a Factory reset? Some suggest to do a proper Hard rest...is to hold the pin for 30 sec, wait until power light blinks, keep it pressed and unlug power cable while holding reset button pressed  (now 60 sec), then connect power cord back still holding another 30 sec (90 sec total)....and then let modem start. This should clear all memory and restore full factory setting....Tried it but could not get the power light to blink...so maybe the 4582 has a different process.  

OOKLA Speed Tests / Date - TimeBell/TorontoShaw/WinnipegRogers/Toronto

Feb 6 - 11:15   DOCSIS 3.0 (2.0.10.13)269/45-13329/36-31310/47-8
Feb 6 - 16:4091/28-1192/32-3088/41-5
Feb 7 - 07:40259/45-6350/32-31340/48-8
Feb 7 - 11:30279/45-9350/37-30398/37-5
Feb 7 - 16:45268/35-14334/29-29333/22-10
Feb 8 - 08:10296/47-6347/38-30381/48-8
Feb 8 - 11:30      293/46-10346/37-30438/48-8
Feb 8 - 16:05   DOCSIS 3.1 (2.0.10.19)89/17-1091/19-3291/26-4
Feb 8 - 20:1089/38-1191/34-3090/38-4
Feb 9 - 08:15318/46-7358/34-29328/46-4
Feb 9 - 11:3091/47-691/37-3090/41-7
Feb 9 - 16:4592/41-1792/32-3092/31-10
Feb 9 - 21:3090/20-2089/26-3282/30-9
Feb 10 - 10:00273/46-6352/34-29374/41-7
Feb 10 - 16:30247/19-17334/19-30323/28-8
Feb 11 - 08:15290/47-9346/43-2991/46-4
Feb 12 - 12:10265/30-9345/26-30354/22-5
Feb 12 - 16:45267/30-11329/28-30362/18-4

robck
I plan to stick around

Not sure if anybody else is experiencing this issue, 

but my upload is very unstable ever since the switch to Docsis 3.1.

On Docsis 3.0, I use to get 32mbps consistently, but since the upgrade, it's sporatic and barely gets to 20mbps, most times averaging around 10mbps.

This is a wire connection via a pfSense Router, to a bridged CODA 4582 Modem on Latest firmware .23

I've tried resetting the modem, but didn't help.

The weird thing is that i thought Docsis 3.1 was only a change for the downstream channels, so nothing should have changed on the upstream.

vcasiero80
I plan to stick around

Hello All,

Speeds don't seem to be an issue any longer and I have noticed that the 32 ports are stable and not dropping off.

My major issue is WiFi...devices will drop off and they will not reconnect until the modem is restarted, sometimes a hard power cycle is required.  This affects 2.4 and 5Ghz

Could this be because I do not have a black dot modem?

I am considering putting this modem in bridge mode and going off a separate router, the problem before was I was getting speed issues through the router, but things were stable.

mattmartinolc
I plan to stick around

the version 23 firmware is installed on my modem and now I cannot score higher than 95mbit on my gigabit plan. Before I was scoring around 250. Since Rogers lied about docsis 3.1 being rolled out in my area when I signed up I have been fighting over paying my bill since I have yet to even achieve more than 30% of the speed potential. And now with this new firmware I cannot get over 100mbit it's impossible. So far Rogers and their equipment sucks.

blues_clues
I plan to stick around

CODA-4582      2.0.10.23 (black dot)

Trying to use access control on wireless MAC addresses, the "allow list", failed to save and now the GUI is not responding to http requests.  Will have to unplug to reboot.

soundwave80
I plan to stick around
@VivienM you are right ! My speeds dropped over night im now getting 125 mbps on the gigabit plan .