Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FEEDBACK - Rogers Rocket Wi-Fi Modem Firmware Trial

RogersMargaret
Community Manager (Retired)
Community Manager (Retired)

Hello Community,

We are currently offering our users an exclusive opportunity to participate in an upcoming trial of the new firmware for our Rocket Wi-Fi Modem (CGN3ACR, CGN3AMR and CGN3ACSMR) and Rocket Gigabit Wi-Fi Modem (CGN3552 and CODA-4582). For details of this program, please see this thread.

This thread will be used for feedback regarding the firmware.  We've invited @RogersSergio@RogersSyd & @RogersBob from our Networking team to participate in this thread.  Your feedback is very valuable and will be used to enhance the firmware before it is released publicly.

Thank you for your continued feedback and support.

4,921 REPLIES 4,921

Re: FEEDBACK - Rogers Rocket Wi-Fi Modem Firmware Trial

Rahtol
I've been here awhile

Thanks @Datalink@VivienM 

@VivienM, previously with Teksavvy I ran an ASUS RT-AC66U - with Advanced Tomato.  When I started experiencing issues, I  revived it and used the DMZ setup I described earlier.  I am not sure if Advanced Tomato had anything to do with it but I found that, even when using a wired connection, I was getting a significant drop in performance between plugging into my router and plugging into the cable modem.   It also wasn't powerful enough to broadcast a decent signal to all parts of my house.  Hence the upgrade to the AC5300.   I would prefer to run in Bridged mode, and manage my own stuff anyways so this is perfect - I just didn't realize that that was an option until I started looking through all the threads here.  

Thanks again

@Rahtol here's a link to the CGN3 user manual which should provide some limited use.  The front external LEDS are different but the main user interface is very close:

https://www.midco.com/contentassets/87322b7ed6b04cabb102fe22607bc4d1/hitron-modem-user-guide-cgn3-re...

@Rahtol wrote:

I would prefer to run in Bridged mode, and manage my own stuff anyways so this is perfect - I just didn't realize that that was an option until I started looking through all the threads here.  

Thanks again

Yup, every Rogers gateway ever made that I know of supports bridge mode, configurable by the user. This is one big advantage of Rogers compared to other providers without a properly supported elegant bridge mode... 

Alex4161
I'm a senior contributor

I just wanted to know why people are running seperate routers and the CODA router/modem?  Before I had Rogers I too was with Teksavvy and had their 100/10 service using the Technicolour DCM476 modem and running the Netgear Nighthawk R7000 Router.  With Rogers, I find that I don't need to run the 2 device setup. Performance between the R7000 vs the CODA on wifi largely depends on the wifi adapter on the portable device.  I found that I can get 300 Mbps download on my iPad Air 2 using either one.  

Many people have this misconception of the max wifi speeds and that an AC5200 router will give you super fast speeds of +1 Gigabit.  I think this is a lot of media tomfoolery which is aimed at selling high speed routers to those who don't know any better.  This article by CNET explains just that:

https://www.cnet.com/how-to/your-router-isnt-as-fast-as-you-think-it-is-heres-why/

With regards to the IP reservation, one way I got around it is that I just set the DHCP range to be within a few IP addresses (i.e. 192.168.0.10 to 192.168.0.20) and then set a manual IP to be outside of this range within the same network (i.e. 192.168.0.30) and this way I never have to worry about IP conflicts or reservations.  Many router seem to have difficulty with this.

Another thing is to just turn off the 2.4 Ghz band as for most people this is very congested and won't give you fast speeds.  This method works as long as all your devices support 5 Ghz in some manner (i.e. n, ac, etc.)

Last, to maximize the internet speed for wired devices, use a GOOD QUALITY CAT6 cable as this maximizes the gigabit speeds.  CAT5E can and should do Gigabit but I have found that this is not always the case.  Also, avoid those flat cables as they have less shielding wrapped around the wiring and can cause issues.  We had a few of the flat wires in some of the network racks and these came out to have issues with signal interference.  We replaced them with the "old fashioned" round cables and the problem was solved.  This could be a bad cable but this is an inherit problem in the flat cable design as it lacks the additional sheathing to prevent interference. In fact, many flat cables don't meet the CAT6 spec even though they are marked as such.  A google search online will confirm this.  I have gone as far as used some CAT7 wiring as they have some good shielding compare to others.  They are rated for 10 Gbit so 1 Gbit speed can easily be met.  I have had good succes with this brand from Amazon:  

Ugreen Ultra Durable High Performance Cat7 Double Shielded Ethernet Networking Cord Patch Cable 10Gbps 600Mhz S/STP Molded Network Lan Cable Stranded Copper , 10ft/3m Black

https://www.amazon.ca/Performance-Shielded-Ethernet-Networking-Stranded/dp/B00QV1F0TS/ref=sr_1_7?ie=...  

Hope this helps.

@Alex4161 wrote:

I just wanted to know why people are running seperate routers and the CODA router/modem?  Before I had Rogers I too was with Teksavvy and had their 100/10 service using the Technicolour DCM476 modem and running the Netgear Nighthawk R7000 Router.  With Rogers, I find that I don't need to run the 2 device setup.

Experience.

Rogers has been offering the gateways for many years, and most of us have been burned. e.g. once, I thought the CGN2 would be good enough for my parents (a couple in their 60s); it turned out to have way less range than the mid-range 2.4GHz-only Linksys I was hoping to replace. Completely useless. I had a similar bad experience advising a friend that a CGN3-family gateway was probably good enough for her parents. The only successful use of a Rogers gateway that I know of is another friend who put it in his basement, turned wifi off, and uses a different access point in the middle of his house. So the basic NAT/DHCP functionality seems okay; it's really the wifi where the gateways tend to fall flattest. 

There comes to be a point where you're just unwilling to spend hours determining whether the latest iteration of the Hitron gateway is finally functional for basic needs. My recommendation for someone signing up for one of the normal plans (e.g. the 100u, not craziness like gigabit) would be to just pick up a reasonable Asus router (the 56U isn't bad if you're price conscious...), bridge the Rogers gateway, and move on with life. 

And btw, if you still have the R7000 router, pull it back out of the closet and bridge the 4582.

Jeffj
I plan to stick around

@Alex4161 wrote:

I just wanted to know why people are running seperate routers and the CODA router/modem?  Before I had Rogers I too was with Teksavvy and had their 100/10 service using the Technicolour DCM476 modem and running the Netgear Nighthawk R7000 Router.  With Rogers, I find that I don't need to run the 2 device setup. Performance between the R7000 vs the CODA on wifi largely depends on the wifi adapter on the portable device.  I found that I can get 300 Mbps download on my iPad Air 2 using either one.  

Many people have this misconception of the max wifi speeds and that an AC5200 router will give you super fast speeds of +1 Gigabit.  I think this is a lot of media tomfoolery which is aimed at selling high speed routers to those who don't know any better.  This article by CNET explains just that:

https://www.cnet.com/how-to/your-router-isnt-as-fast-as-you-think-it-is-heres-why/

With regards to the IP reservation, one way I got around it is that I just set the DHCP range to be within a few IP addresses (i.e. 192.168.0.10 to 192.168.0.20) and then set a manual IP to be outside of this range within the same network (i.e. 192.168.0.30) and this way I never have to worry about IP conflicts or reservations.  Many router seem to have difficulty with this.

Another thing is to just turn off the 2.4 Ghz band as for most people this is very congested and won't give you fast speeds.  This method works as long as all your devices support 5 Ghz in some manner (i.e. n, ac, etc.)

Hope this helps.

The Rogers gateway has about a 16th of the options a enterprise gateway or open source based one does. And many users need those options. 

I have no problem achieveing the same level of performance or better with a third party routing and qap system. 

Jeffj
I plan to stick around

@VivienM wrote:

@Alex4161 wrote:

I just wanted to know why people are running seperate routers and the CODA router/modem?  Before I had Rogers I too was with Teksavvy and had their 100/10 service using the Technicolour DCM476 modem and running the Netgear Nighthawk R7000 Router.  With Rogers, I find that I don't need to run the 2 device setup.

Experience.

Rogers has been offering the gateways for many years, and most of us have been burned. e.g. once, I thought the CGN2 would be good enough for my parents (a couple in their 60s); it turned out to have way less range than the mid-range 2.4GHz-only Linksys I was hoping to replace. Completely useless. I had a similar bad experience advising a friend that a CGN3-family gateway was probably good enough for her parents. The only successful use of a Rogers gateway that I know of is another friend who put it in his basement, turned wifi off, and uses a different access point in the middle of his house. So the basic NAT/DHCP functionality seems okay; it's really the wifi where the gateways tend to fall flattest. 

There comes to be a point where you're just unwilling to spend hours determining whether the latest iteration of the Hitron gateway is finally functional for basic needs. My recommendation for someone signing up for one of the normal plans (e.g. the 100u, not craziness like gigabit) would be to just pick up a reasonable Asus router (the 56U isn't bad if you're price conscious...), bridge the Rogers gateway, and move on with life. 

And btw, if you still have the R7000 router, pull it back out of the closet and bridge the 4582.

It's pertinant to note that any one on a of 250U or higher using a third party router, should ensure it supports hardware nat or your wan-lan and lan-lan traffic will be limited to around 220 mbps real world throughput. Ive done extensive testing with hardware NAT turned on and off with Multiple Archer units, all showed the same results when off. Lots of cheap bargan bin routers out there that advertise a gigabit wan port and they are never able to get close to the speed. Just a heads up. 

mozerd
I plan to stick around

@Alex4161 wrote:

I just wanted to know why people are running seperate routers and the CODA router/modem?  Before I had Rogers I too was with Teksavvy and had their 100/10 service using the Technicolour DCM476 modem and running the Netgear Nighthawk R7000 Router.

Most consumer grade mass produced integrated products - like ISP Gateways - do not provide ROBUST seamless integrated capability and functionality. And no matter how good the glowing reports and reviews are for these products, they all continue to have far too many disruptive issues ... and security concerns -- ISP provided Gateway enables  ISP's Technical Support personnel to remotely manage the Gateway device and have direct access to your Home Network with or without your knowledge or explicit permission - an unnecessary risk to your privacy. For Gamers, UPNP is not secure unless its controlled through Access Control mechanisms -- no consumer grade gateway or wireless routers includes ACL controls.

David Mozer
IT-Expert on Call

Alex4161
I'm a senior contributor
@VivienM

I agree with your point as I too have gone through that phase. I wholeheartedly agree that the older gen of modems were reasonable modems but not the best for wifi. The newer crop like the CODA (when all the kinks are out) *should* be able serves the needs of many.

I find the Archer C7 series routers (on sale for $49.99) time to time do a pretty good job for networking. I have used Linksys, and the Netgear and they too are pretty good.

Your Asus N56U router is a solid choice, but these days, I won't suggest anyone get something that is not AC. I just find that AC modulation provides better buffering and interworking. Most recent devices support AC and it would be silly to get a router that does not have AC wave 1. The CODA now supports the WAVE 2 MIMO which is the next generation.

Us early adopters always have the most fun eh? 🙂

Jeffj
I plan to stick around
The Archer C7 is a fantastic choice, the only thing it lacks which i wish it had is beam forming. If that is important for wireless signal in your household bumping to the C8 is a good choice for the money.

Alex4161
I'm a senior contributor

My goto site before getting any routers is http://www.smallnetbuilder.com .  These guys do a good job at testing hardware and rarely lead you astray.  A few other sites are http://www.anandtech.com and http://thewirecutter.com if you just want to find something suitable without going through all the technical mumbo jumbo.

@Alex4161 wrote:
@VivienM

I agree with your point as I too have gone through that phase. I wholeheartedly agree that the older gen of modems were reasonable modems but not the best for wifi. The newer crop like the CODA (when all the kinks are out) *should* be able serves the needs of many.

I find the Archer C7 series routers (on sale for $49.99) time to time do a pretty good job for networking. I have used Linksys, and the Netgear and they too are pretty good.

Your Asus N56U router is a solid choice, but these days, I won't suggest anyone get something that is not AC. I just find that AC modulation provides better buffering and interworking. Most recent devices support AC and it would be silly to get a router that does not have AC wave 1. The CODA now supports the WAVE 2 MIMO which is the next generation.

Us early adopters always have the most fun eh? 🙂

I thought that the CGN2 *should* be able to serve my parents' needs too. Every time there's a new generation of gateways, there's this tendency to think that this time, they *should* be able to meet most needs... and usually, that turns out to be wrong. After a while you just put the things in bridge mode and stop even trying!

And sorry, I meant the AC56U - I guess there's also an 802.11n '56U' router. I only discovered Asus routers in the AC generation, so not too familiar with their earlier lineup. It's the second-genish Broadcom-based 802.11ac platform, which is probably somewhat dinosauric for now. Everybody who has been around here knows my love for the 68U, but that's a LOT more money... and given it's three years old now, there's probably something more modern available.

Alex4161
I'm a senior contributor

The Archer C9 (now called the AC1900) routinely comes on sale for $80 and is a solid choice as well. It has beamforming technology.  This is now my goto router if the delta in price between the C7 and this is not too big.

gbssengo
I plan to stick around

Hi @RogersDave, I just got the modem yesterday, with .13. I feel that while my PC is easily getting the top speeds, the following are underperforming:

- 2.4Ghz WiFi - I get no better than 7Mbps DL / 13Mbps UL (yes, upload is better) on my iPhone 5S

- 5Ghz WiFi (ac) - I get up to 70Mbps DL / 40Mbps UL with a ZTE Axon 7 which is connected with 433Mbps

- XBOX One S (connected via ethernet) - Lots of stuttering and lags, bandwidth test comes around 70Mbps / 40Mbps

Would I benefit from a newer firmware? If so, can I get on the newer firmware as well?

RyzenFX
I'm a reliable contributor

@Alex4161 wrote:

The Archer C9 (now called the AC1900) routinely comes on sale for $80 and is a solid choice as well. It has beamforming technology.  This is now my goto router if the delta in price between the C7 and this is not too big.

If I'm not mistaken, the CODA-4582 also has beamforming technology in it.

Alex4161
I'm a senior contributor

gbssengo,

I would turn off the 2.4 Ghz and reboot the modem and you will get great speeds. There is an issue with the 2.4 Ghz band  that slows down everything and even the latest firmware does not resolve the problem.

Alex4161
I'm a senior contributor
Yes it has AC Wave 2 so it has the whole kit and kaboodle. We just have to wait for some firmware that takes advantage of it all.

@Alex4161 wrote:
Yes it has AC Wave 2 so it has the whole kit and kaboodle. We just have to wait for some firmware that takes advantage of it all.

I feel like we're not going to get that for a good long time. They're likely too busy fixing critical bugs to implement new stuff... 

NorthGraves
I plan to stick around

Dave, I am still on .14, is this normal?

If not, could you kindly push .19?

Thanks.

Alex.

prateeck7
I plan to stick around

@RogersDaveCan you push me to .19 as well?

Tech came in yesterday and he showed me his testing device. My internet would be all fine then all of a sudden signal would drop to 'fail' status. So he replaced the amps and modems. Now the new modem is back to .13. 

When I run HTML speedtest, my speed never cross 60mbps download due to stuttering and lag. Whereas before with CGN I would get 400mbps+. Yesterday night, I was getting speeds of 1200mbps+ due to very very high bufferbloat (9000ms+) on dal reports. At Rogers I get 400 to 600mbps (I am on a gigabit). 

Speed is not the issue for me and not even ping. It's the stuttering and lag since I got this new modem. High bufferbloat. It's very much apparent when playing games, web page loading and movie (or anything) downloading. I called in Rogers again yesterday twice (first one was disconnected from their system). First one told my modem was faulty and advised me to change the modem. Second one told that my modem is receiving excellent signal after the fix. I have 0% packet loss. I don't know what can be done about it now.

Anyway, please push me to .19. 

@Alex4161 wrote:

I just wanted to know why people are running seperate routers and the CODA router/modem? 

I'm assuming that you haven't been around for the introduction of the various Hitron modems to Rogers.  The history is less than stellar, in fact its been rather painful for a good number of customers.  So, rather than fight with NAT, VOIP, Port Forwarding and many other issues, it has been far simpler to run the modem in Bridge mode and let a real router do the work that needs to get done.  That for the most part is why people choose to run separate routers, because they work .....