Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FEEDBACK - Rogers Rocket Wi-Fi Modem Firmware Trial

RogersMargaret
Community Manager (Retired)
Community Manager (Retired)

Hello Community,

We are currently offering our users an exclusive opportunity to participate in an upcoming trial of the new firmware for our Rocket Wi-Fi Modem (CGN3ACR, CGN3AMR and CGN3ACSMR) and Rocket Gigabit Wi-Fi Modem (CGN3552 and CODA-4582). For details of this program, please see this thread.

This thread will be used for feedback regarding the firmware.  We've invited @RogersSergio@RogersSyd & @RogersBob from our Networking team to participate in this thread.  Your feedback is very valuable and will be used to enhance the firmware before it is released publicly.

Thank you for your continued feedback and support.

4,921 REPLIES 4,921

Re: FEEDBACK - Rogers Rocket Wi-Fi Modem Firmware Trial

Mythen
I plan to stick around

@Datalink 

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/5712567021

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/5712577392

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/5712580330

The above are the same speedtests with the .22 firmware

I also notice that the range on my wifi is not as good as with the .21 firmware.

Mythen

@Mythen thanks very much.  It looks like there is a very slight drop on the upload side, but its hardly noticable.  I have asked that the problem with the 2.4 Ghz hidden SSID beacon be addressed.  Hopefully that will resolve the 2.4 Ghz wifi issue.

moved to questions post 

JohnBeaudin
I'm a senior contributor

@RogersDave

I have been updated on .27 , thanks for the firmware push!

Now may I ask what is next in terms of improving Latency/Jitter?

Looking forward to hear back from you, Amazing to see we have such a hard working team for us Rogers cx.

Hi there, 

I'm hoping to have my modem pushed to .27 as well, if I could.  Thanks!

dmbcanda
I plan to stick around

I was upgraded to .22 using Rocket Gigabit Wi-Fi Modem (CGN3552), and am still seeing the phantom SSID on 2.4Ghz wifi.   No issues with upload or download when hardwired.

RyzenFX
I'm a reliable contributor

@RogersDave

When are all the beta testers going to receive the .27 firmware? An update to the situation would be helpful 🙂 

nigelncwong
I plan to stick around

Hi,

Since this morning I have been getting very slow connection on my Note 4.  Every other devices seems fine.

I am on .22 firmware.

Only had the issue since this morning very very strange.

nigelncwong
I plan to stick around
I'll add more symptoms:

Only the initial connection to a site is slow. once connected the speed is ok. But if open up an app like sportsnet it takes forever to load all images. very very slow.

@Slipstream1982 wrote:

Hi there, 

I'm hoping to have my modem pushed to .27 as well, if I could.  Thanks!

Slipstream1982,

The firmware build 4.5.8.27 that I currently have has an issue with upload speed. Although we offer beta firmware trial to the community, we try as much as possible not to impact negatively the service as part of this program.

We are working with Hitron on resolving this issue at the moment which is why I haven't deployed firmware 4.5.8.27 to all participants of the trial. I only deployed to a few modems and rolled back to most because of this problem.

Despite this issue, if you wish to receive firmware 4.5.8.27, send me a private message and I'll push it to your modem but in my opinion the gain in ICMP latency is outweighed by the upload speed issues.

Dave

@nigelncwong wrote:
I'll add more symptoms:

Only the initial connection to a site is slow. once connected the speed is ok. But if open up an app like sportsnet it takes forever to load all images. very very slow.

Nigelncwong,

We have identified an issue in your area yesterday that will cause what you are experiencing. The issue is currently scheduled to be rectified tonight but I am working with our Network Operations team to evaluate the possibility of deploying a correction earlier today.

Dave

nigelncwong
I plan to stick around
Thank you so so so much!

JohnBeaudin
I'm a senior contributor

@RogersDave

Hello, you might missed my post #844

I want to keep .27 no need for rollback, the upload issue is barely noticeable. 

Feel free to look at post 844 , I'd love to get answers.

Thanks for the update Dave.

@JohnBeaudin wrote:

@RogersDave

Hello, you might missed my post #844

I want to keep .27 no need for rollback, the upload issue is barely noticeable. 

Feel free to look at post 844 , I'd love to get answers.

Thanks for the update Dave.

The upload speed issue is mostly noticeable above 15 Mbps. Therefore, it mostly affects Gigabit customers.

For latency/jitter, I am waiting for further feedback from Hitron. The priority is to work on TCP latency first and this is what is currently being looked at.

JohnBeaudin
I'm a senior contributor

I am on 250/20 .. I am thinking of upgrading to Gigabit after all issues are sorted out and the speed is stable.. so far from what I hear people are getting around 800 mbs. I wonder if DOCIS 3.0 can really push  1 GB , might wait until DOCSIS 3.1 then upgrading would be worth.

Anyhow, Thanks the Update as usual Roger!

@RogersDave wrote:

Nigelncwong,

We have identified an issue in your area yesterday that will cause what you are experiencing. The issue is currently scheduled to be rectified tonight but I am working with our Network Operations team to evaluate the possibility of deploying a correction earlier today.

Dave

Nigelncwong,

The problem identified has been corrected last night. Let us know if you still experience an issue.

Dave 

nigelncwong
I plan to stick around
I can confirm the issue has been revolved. Thank you so much!

Just curious why this only affect certain devices?

@nigelncwong wrote:
I can confirm the issue has been revolved. Thank you so much!

Just curious why this only affect certain devices?

The issue was related to IPv6 routing in your area. IPv6 traffic was getting discarded in our aggregation point.

Pretty much all recent devices (with IPv6 support) would have been affected in the sense that browsing, loading webpages would have been much slower. Device would attempt to connect to IPv6 resources and eventually fall back to IPv4. The speed at which the fallback occurs is where there is a difference between devices.

It is possible that your Note 4 is really slow at falling back to IPv4 which made it look like nothing was working.

Dave

nigelncwong
I plan to stick around
Thank you for your detailed explanation!

ComFox
I've been here awhile

I am experiencing an issue where the modem network interface is locking up casuing the internet to go down.  The only remedy is to reboot the modem.  I thought this was one of the things that this firmware fixed.

RogersDave
Retired Support
Retired Support

Good morning Community,

We have made some progress in performing internal testing for the next firmware and are now ready to deploy firmware 4.5.8.27 on CGN3ACSMR modems only. Once the deployment is completed on this modem, I will proceed with the deployment on CGN3ACR and CGN3AMR.

At this point, this firmware is not compatible is CGNM-3552 modems and therefore these modems will remain at the 4.5.8.22T3 version until a new compatible release is made available to me.

The process to update all participants to the newest firmware version is a manual process and because there are a very large number of CGN3ACSMR in the program, it can take upwards of 2 weeks to complete the process.

From version 4.5.8.22T3, this firmware contains multiple improvements for IGMP handling and for ICMP stability (ping time is far more stable with this release), password restrictions in EasyConnect and WiFi and the availability of SIP ALG setting. We are still working on improving TCP latency (the delay between a SYN and the associated SYN-ACK message) but that will come in a future release. I have updated the first post of this thread with the new information.

Dave