FEEDBACK - Rogers Rocket Wi-Fi Modem Firmware Trial

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: FEEDBACK - Rogers Rocket Wi-Fi Modem Firmware Trial

A number of observations for  morning of August 26 2016 [9 AM]

1.. In Bridge Mode this morning I can no longer access 192.168.100.1

2.. I initiated a hard reset and after 5 minutes I was in Gateway mode and the standard setup screen

3.. In gateway mode the gateway received a ipv6 address BUT i was not able to pass any ipv6 test regardless of which test site I used.

4.  I placed the gateway in Bridge mode and after 7 minutes my Router picked up its IPv6 addresses but I was still not able to pass any ipv6 tests

5. in Bridge mode I was still not able to access 192.168.100.1

I hope that access to the Hitron Admin GUI via 192.168.100.1 and ipv6 will be restored soon. I have not been able to pass any ipv6 test since August 11, 2016 with a very small exception that occured on August 22 at 9:55 AM but subsequently another test failed at 10:05 AM.

David Mozer
IT-Expert on Call
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

@mozerd wrote:

A number of observations for  morning of August 26 2016 [9 AM]

1.. In Bridge Mode this morning I can no longer access 192.168.100.1

5. in Bridge mode I was still not able to access 192.168.100.1

I can access the Hitron GUI Admin page at 192.168.100.1 ..... I changed one of my firewall rules that locked me out and I forgot about that change... OOPS sorry about that.

David Mozer
IT-Expert on Call
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

This may or may not be related. Since I am on the trial (22T) I figure should mention. 

Also if it is a known thing, keep in mind that my handle has the word noob in it Smiley Wink.

Doing a wifi scan using android app, I see a network without SSID that tracks mine like a ghost. It has the same mac address as my modem wifi except the last hex (2 characters), which is different. It only shows up on 2.4G which I have to keep enabled due to legacy devices. 

No ghost is seen on 5G. On 2.4G, the height (signal strenght) of the ghost is similar (not always the same). I started to investigate due to speed issues. 

Guest mode is disabled. No other devices in my house are serving WiFi or in WiFi direct mode. Given that the mac is same for 5/6 of the address pairs, I suspect it is my own modem that is doing this.

So if mine is: 01:02:03:04:05:08

Ghost is: 01:02:03:04:05:0a

Or maybe someone is spying??? But the device would have to be in the house to get the same SNR. 

Ideas?

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@mansa_noob, yup, that problem has been reported to the engineering staff.  I haven't heard anything back on it yet.

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Thank you very much for a quick reply. I will put away my tin foil hat :D.
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Tin foil hats are very fashionable these days !!  🙂

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Well, after a run of 2 days with uninterrupted internet (after upgrading to firmware .21 and doing a factory reset), the LAN port on the back of my hitron modem / router is turning off and not coming back on again.

What is the next step in diagnosing what's going on?  

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

I am assuming you have done the basic drill (change port, power cycle, etc.). Please confirm. 

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@JayEff, can you:

1.  Log into the modem and confirm that you have two IP addresses showing on the STATUS page in the upper right hand WAN IP ADDRESS fields.  You should have one IPV4 address followed by a much longer IPV6 address.  I don't want to know the address, just if you have both present.  If both are present, can you run a connectivity test at:  ipv6-test.com.  Please let me know what the pass / fail number is.  It will show in the upper right hand corner as come number out of 20.

2.  Navigate to the STATUS .... DOCSIS WAN page, copy the Downstream and Upstream tables and paste them into the thread.  The copy and paste process will paste in the text component of the tables, so you don't have to use a screen capture and post that.  The copy and paste keep this fairly simple.  I'd like to see the signal levels and signal to noise ratios, just to know where their at.

3.  You indicated something interesting in a previous post: that looking at the back of the modem, the LAN port LED dies and doesn't flash green.  I believe you have a CGN3AMR if I remember this correctly.  With your router and every other CGN3 variation, that modem port LED would or should be flashing amber in colour, indicating that the modem to router connection is running at 1 Gb/s.  Green would indicate a 10/100 Mb/s connection.  Unless Hitron has finally changed the LED colours for this particular model, the modem port LED should be flashing amber.  If not, that would tell you that:

1.  there is an issue with either the modem or router port;  or

2.  the ethenet cable is not connecting properly at either end;  or

3.  the ethernet cable does not support 1 Gb/s data rates;  or

4.  there is a problem with the cable.  Perhaps it has been damaged in some fashion and as a result the ports negotiate to a lower data rate in order to connect:  or

5.  the TP-Link router is set to operate the WAN port at 10/100 Mb/s which would be rather strange. 

If it is the case that the port LED is green, try this:  connect a pc or laptop directly to another port on the modem and watch for the modem port LED to indicate traffic between the modem and pc / laptop.  If the pc / laptop has a gigabit port on it, the modem LED port should flash amber in colour.  You don't have to wait for the modem to assign a 2nd IP address to the pc/laptop.  After a few seconds you can disconnect the two as all that you checking for is the port LED colour on the modem. 

If you did wait and the pc/laptop picks up the IP address, navigate to Start .... Control Panel .... Network and Sharing Center.  Select the Ethernet link in the middle of the right hand side to bring up the Ethernet Status panel.  The speed that is shown on the panel is the port to port connection rate which should show 1 Gb/s.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

I do not have the know how to be able to do what you are requesting me to do. I am not a technology expert, I am just an end user. Sorry about that
Brian Blanf