CODA-4582 - Open Issues for Investigation

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm Here A Lot

Re: CODA-4582 - Open Issues for Investigation

Great thread :-) 

I'm currently using CODA x.19 with Asus AC-1900P in a bridge mode.  The 1.4ghz dual core router handles 1GB speeds well.  I also use AIProtection for my home network, time schedule to control my kids PCs/Ipads.  

As for fw I had a false with my VOIP yesterday (OBI110 - freephoneline.ca/google voice) where I couldn't hear people talking but they could hear me.   As suggested on DSLReports, powering down the device fixed the issue.   At least it works today.  

Overall the modem has been better than replaced 3552.   It is not perfect, without running diagnostics I can feel sometimes when browsing.   It could be related to peak hours/congestions.  I haven't online game lately, BF1 is waiting for me, but no time.  LOL.   I'm sure most of current major issues will be fixed in the future fw versions.    Also I cannot wait for 3.1 support in my area (Nepean - Fallowfield POI).

I just want to say THANK YOU to RogersDave and Datalink (on various forums) trying to help us :-).  

I Plan to Stick Around

Awesome! I'll be following this thread now as well. I have made some changes to my residence's network infrastructure and will be using the CODA in bridge mode. I will see how that goes in terms of usability and the speeds I am getting.

Thanks for all the insight guys

I Plan to Stick Around

@prateeck7 @RogersDave I have the same issue if I start downloading I get pretty bad lag too. Also my Speeds have been very inconsistant lately.

https://www.dslreports.com/speedtest/8280603

https://www.dslreports.com/speedtest/8034708

I'm a Reliable Contributor

One thing I would suggest to @amd7674 and others is if you find congestion issues on the network, contact Rogers support and report the problem. If you don't tell them, the odds are it won't get fixed.

I did this a few days ago and they determined high latency and packet loss issues that caused upload/download speed concerns. They assigned the ticket to their Network division and I did find improvements in performance a few days later.

I Plan to Stick Around

@RogersDave did some changes this evening and after multiple reboots of modem and router, the Netgear appears to be working properly. May have just been something stuck in the background that got cleared.
Disregard my stated issue.
Network Architect
Network Architect

Hybrid_Noodle wrote:
@RogersDave did some changes this evening and after multiple reboots of modem and router, the Netgear appears to be working properly. May have just been something stuck in the background that got cleared.
Disregard my stated issue.

No problem, I'll remove this from the log.

I Plan to Stick Around

Hey @Datalink or anyone else - do you have any experience w/ Ubiquiti Edgerouters?

I've narrowed down my router as being the bottleneck here, (BTW people, a good speed test for real throughput is to download a DVD img torrent of Knoppix Linux. It's free, legal, and big enough to not finish too quick to see results), and I see a lot of people talking about using one of those as a main router, with something consumer as a wifi AP.

Secondly, how can I reduce the bufferbloat going on? On my DSL, the method would be to enable QoS to limit throughput to like 98% of max, but that's not practical @ gigabit speeds.

I Plan to Stick Around

I've been following these CODA issues as I seem to be affected by the "wifi interference" issue. Right now my modem is running 19 and hasn't been reset in weeks, so I decided to do some reference checks.

All tests are done 10h30-11h00 on Saturday 07JAN, using the Rogers Speed Test page to have a consistent point of relative reference. I am running in Gateway Mode:

Modem running .19, no recent resets or restarts:

* Wifi 5 and 2.4 20/40 MHz: 17D, 19U, 8ms ping, 52ms jitter

* Wifi 5 and 2.4 20 Mhz: 19D, 19U, 4ms ping, 8ms jitter

* Wifi 5 and 2.4 off: 18D, 20U, 9ms ping, 7ms jitter

* Wifi all off: 17D, 20U, 8ms ping, 3ms jitter

Modem running .19 after 5 minutes quiet time unplugged while I cleaned the cat litter box:

* Wifi all off: 349D, 12U, 11ms ping, 7ms jitter 

* Wifi 5 and 2.4 off: 383D, 11U, 10ms ping, 12ms jitter

* Wifi 5 and 2.4 20 Mhz: 283D, 11U, 10ms ping, 7ms jitter

* Wifi 5 and 2.4 20/40 MHz test#1: 506D, 20U, 7ms ping, 417ms jitter

* Wifi 5 and 2.4 20/40 MHz test#2: 499D, 20U, 5ms ping, 2ms jitter

* Wifi 5 and 2.4 20/40 MHz test#3: 459D, 17U, 8ms ping, 5ms jitter

* Wifi 5 and 2.4 20/40 MHz test#4: 338D, 15U, 11ms ping, 14ms jitter

* Wifi 5 and 2.4 20/40 MHz test#5: 353D, 16U, 9ms ping, 6ms jitter

* Wifi 5 and 2.4 20/40 MHz test#6: 341D, 17U, 11ms ping, 6ms jitter

Key observations:

* Download speeds before the reset were very sick, upload speeds were typical

* After the reset, upload speeds took a noticeable drop (from around 20 to around 11)

* After the reset, download speeds increased from 30 to around 300+

* Increased speed by insane inconsistent jitter with 2.4 40/20 enabled

* Speeds with CODA modem are still notedly below what I got with the previous 3552 modem, even with wifi disabled

I Plan to Stick Around

NBomb wrote:

Hey @Datalink or anyone else - do you have any experience w/ Ubiquiti Edgerouters?

I've narrowed down my router as being the bottleneck here, (BTW people, a good speed test for real throughput is to download a DVD img torrent of Knoppix Linux. It's free, legal, and big enough to not finish too quick to see results), and I see a lot of people talking about using one of those as a main router, with something consumer as a wifi AP.

Secondly, how can I reduce the bufferbloat going on? On my DSL, the method would be to enable QoS to limit throughput to like 98% of max, but that's not practical @ gigabit speeds.

Knoppix?  man i thought every one abandoned that for Kali long ago. 

I Plan to Stick Around

..... and...... just like that, doing nothing in particular, 30 minutes later my connection takes a nosedive:

* Wifi 5 and 2.4 20/40 MHz test#7: 21D, 15U, 10ms ping, 3ms jitter

* Wifi 5 and 2.4 20/40 MHz test#8: 19D, 16U, 8ms ping, 8ms jitter

* Wifi 5 and 2.4 20/40 MHz test#9: 19D, 16U, 11ms ping, 9ms jitter

* Wifi 5 and 2.4 20/40 MHz test#10: 18D, 18U, 8ms ping, 657ms jitter

* Wifi 5 and 2.4 20/40 MHz test#11: 19D, 17U, 8ms ping, 9ms jitter

* Wifi 5 and 2.4 20/40 MHz test#12: 18D, 17U, 8ms ping, 86ms jitter

Since this is a dramatic drop off in modem speed after reset, @RogersDave if you are working today and want to take a look before I reset the modem let me know via PM. You have my MAC from a PM weeks ago.

What's New
UFC 231: Holloway vs. Ortega Live
LIVE: Saturday December 8, 2018 10PM ET
Countdown: 9:30 PM ET
Channels: 348 (HD) | 350 (SD) | Ignite TV 499
Price: $64.99 (HD) | $59.99 (SD) | Ignite TV $64.99
Ignite TV customers can order now!
DTV Customers can order as of Dec 6 at 4pm ET.
UFC 231: Countdown Promo

UFC returns to Toronto on December 8th with a championship double-header as undisputed featherweight champion Max Holloway defends his title against unbeaten Brian Ortega. Also, a new UFC women's flyweight champion will be crowned when Valentina Shevchenko takes on former strawweight queen Joanna Jedrzejczyk for the vacant title. Saturday, December 8, live on Sportsnet Pay-Per-View from Scotiabank Arena in Toronto, Canada.