CODA-4582 - Open Issues for Investigation

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Here Awhile

Re: CODA-4582 - Open Issues for Investigation

Thanks for the reply. It seems this issue has been around for a few months now with the current network-wide firmware.

Do you know any ballpark time frame when firmware 2.0.10.31 is planned to be released network-wide? Are they nearing the end of the testing cycle?

I Plan to Stick Around

I have a new Coda-4582 after swapping out an earlier one, and before that a CGN3.  The new box worked well for a week or two, but gradually i found that it was losing DL speed which would recover after a reboot.  UL speeds are unaffected.  Reboots to restore DL speeds were at first required only a few days apart, then daily, now it is hourly.  The problem occurs even with everything disconnected and wifi disabled.  Using only an old laptop plugged into the box's LAN port with a cat-5 cable and you get the same problem.  On the DOCSIS WAN status my signal strength is within spec on all 32 channels, but the OFDM Downstream Overview will show receiver 1 locked at 4K with power of approx. 2 dbMv (receiver 0 is NA) and after an hour or so, when speeds die off, the receiver 1 drops to NA like receiver 0.  If I swap out this box, I expect to see the same thing from the next one, since this is exactly the same story with the previous one.  Firmware is 2.0.10.28T2 which I am told is most recent.

Very frustrated here.  Front line support knows nothing about OFDM.  Its above their pay grade.  Finally convinced on to send out a "senior" tech on Sunday, but I doubt he'll understand this either because those guys are normally cable installers and not network engineers and clearly this is a complex issue since it has been ongoing for months.

I Plan to Stick Around

I should clarify that the issue described in my recent post would appear to be the condition identified in the original thread, pasted below, but occurring with a more recent firmware version than 26T2...

Loss of OFDM Channel Lock

Under some RF conditions, the modem fails to lock properly on the OFDM channel. This typically result in variable performance.

Update April 12: This problem is resolved in 2.0.10.26T2

I Plan to Stick Around

I posted earlier about a loss of OFDM channel lock on Firmware 2.0.10.28T2

I discovered something further about this issue.  After a reboot, the box will authenticate, establish an OFDM channel lock (which i now suspect is what causes it displays the light blue download light), and run smoothly for a while.   After a short while, it loses its OFDM channel lock, and downloads run super slowly (but the box still displays the light blue download light).  Instead of rebooting again, I just disconnected it from the cable network, waited a few minutes, then reconnected it.  The box registers itself with Rogers again at that point, but now it only shows the dark blue download light, and runs without either OFDM receiver locked.    DL speeds are much higher than before the cable was pulled and reconnected and it appears to last, at least longer than after a reboot (so far).  It seems to me this suggests a problem with the modem on the Rogers side being unable to adapt to a customer modem losing its OFDM lock.  Perhaps the Rogers side modem is continuing to try to multiplex when the customer side modem lost its lock, after it registered with the network having locked multiplex.  Not a fix really, just a possible explanation?

Network Architect
Network Architect

@wes162,

The issue with loss of OFDM locks affects a very small number of modems but it is something we are investigating.

We may have a fix that I'd like to try on your modem.

Would you be able to send me a private message @RogersDave including your modem MAC address and serial number? I will run some checks and deploy the fix to you to see if it helps your situation.

--Dave

I'm a Reliable Contributor

@RogersDave

One of my PC's seems to have issues getting an IP Address from the CODA modem.  From the logs, it looks like there were 2 firmware updates sent to my modem in the same day.

I was just wondering if this is a coincidence that I am having this issue after the firmware update.  Has anyone else noticed something weird getting connected to the CODA modem? 

Thanks

I've Been Around

Dave, 

I am am late to the party and wanted some updated advice on a problem I am having with 

Xbox One and EA NHL18.

It seems this is common, but I can connect to Multiplayer on EASHL but not on HUT .

i have Gigabit service with the white modem.

Thanks 

I Plan to Stick Around

@RogersDave, one additional observation I should probably mention is that I had similar symptoms with the previous Coda, i.e. High DL speeds after reboot which degraded later on.  I cannot be certain it was a loss of OFDM channel lock on that earlier modem because I was unaware of this and wasn't looking for it at the time, but it sure seems likely it was the same issue.  The support line had me swap it out and the problem went away with the new one.  Additionally, this box seemed to work flawlessly for a couple weeks before the issue arose.  In fact, it only started after I returned from a vacation and powered up the box which had been unplugged while I was away.  Given that two coda's now appear to have the same problem at my location it likely isn't limited to a small number of them. It may have something to do with conditions on my line or with the CMTS at the other end.

I'm a Regular

U need to disable ipv6
I've Been Here Awhile

openvpn results in 92% download speed reduction (40 Mbps vs 500 Mbps) 

Today is the first day I've had Rogers service and noticed that any of my devices connected via openvpn would drop in speed down to a max of 40 Mbps after a few minutes of usage. I'm on a CODA-4582 and without any VPN I tested getting downloads up to ~60 MB/s which is expected. 

Once connected to any openvpn server, the ones I use for work, personal ones on dedicated servers (1 Gbps uplink), speed tests show around 400 Mbps download which is to be expected with VPN overhead + encryption. Gradually download speeds dwindle to a maximum of 5 MB/s. These same servers on connected to from other networks do not have any extreme slow downs and the likelihood of multiple VPN servers at different data centres experiencing the same capacity issue would be a highly unlikely coincidence. Earlier in the day these servers were being utilized from a Teksavvy connection, with only your typical slowdown from VPN overhead.

This occurs regardless of device (desktop, laptop, phone), wired or wireless with any OS (Linux, macOS, Windows, Android) as well.

The same issue occurs when the modem is in bridged or residential gateway mode. Is there a problem with the CODA-4582 handling openvpn traffic? Is Rogers throttling openvpn connections?