CODA-4582 - Open Issues for Investigation

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Re: CODA-4582 - Open Issues for Investigation

I have noticed that both my PC's have had issues obtaining DHCP IP address when doing a renewal after 1 week.  It would either get an address after some delay, or I would have to reboot the PC again to get it.  

I've Been Around

@lighter wrote:

Yeah don't listen to what they are saying. I switched back to an older modem and my speeds on testmy are consistent.... the COD (WHITE Modem) is trash!!! Rogers just doesn't want to admit it! I had no issues till I went to that modem... I have gone back to the older one... can't stant the packet loss and rogers believes speedtest (flash based trash is true yet when I am connected to my work VPN and I am dropping every 2 - 3 minutes now.. and has nothing to do with my works VPN servers... everything to do with my inconsistent and packet losing internet connection...

I have similar issues. I "upgraded" to the white modem about 2 weeks ago and can't keep a consistent download speed from the usual places. Steam used to max out my 250/10 connection easily, but now with 1000/30, downloads will be all over the place ranging from 0 to around 50MB and stalling at 0 for long periods of time throughout. I spoke with someone at Rogers and they apparently updated the modem from their end including reboot and asked me to use SpeedTest. SpeedTest showed around 950mbit which is complete B.S. considering I can't get over 50mbit from ANY of the other speed test sites, Steam, usenet, linux distro downloads etc. Very disappointed with this so far.

I've Been Around

Hi,

So today my house mate and I have been having this issue where the Ethernet connections to our modem ( CODA -4582U ) the wifi still works but the Ethernet connections will drop and then reconnect and then drop again after awhile. I tried unplugging for awhile and plugging it back in but that only helped for like 30 minutes.

Anybody know what might be causing this?

I Plan to Stick Around

Regarding my wifi issues wherein I lose the ability to connect to the CODA wifi after some time ( I have to reboot the CODA to re-establish the ability to connect to wifi).

This is what I see from my wireless device after a reboot:

Wifi1.JPGWifi1.JPG

And this is after some time:

Wifi2.JPG

Wifi2.JPG

Any idea on why this is happening on the CODA? I did not have any of these issues with the older black modem/router. Thanks in advance.

Edit: Re-attached screenshots

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

I found the CODA modem extreamly problematic including issues like your problem. I ended up going back to the black modem, having Rogers put it in bridge mode and bought a Google wifi mesh router system. ( 2 units to cover a 3 story townhouse). Beyond all the problems with the Coda modem, no modem/router from Rogers would give me adequate coverage and speed. The Google wi-i works, wifi is stable and a solid signal with excellent speed in the hiuse, garage and on the patio
I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks for the reply. In a sort of bad way, it is good to know that I am not alone with my issues.

I'm a Senior Advisor

I think that many of us are in the same boat with the reality of the layout of our homes.  Definitely the description of a 2 story townhouse, is probably similiar to my challenge - a very narrow, long linked home, with a ton of walls.

The solution of the Google WIFI gives you a wireless mesh solution and can be easily expanded on.

Others have used a router in bridge mode in a better location.

In my home, one of the worst spots is right where the cable connection got put for the modem, against a sheet of drywall separating our office/basement rec room from the furnace room.  The signal has to pass up through 3 feet of drywall, a steel support I beam, and a couch, with the furnace and lots of electrical behind that wall all causing interference.  The best location, we now know would have been our living room on the first floor in the middle of the house, away from transmitting through a vertical wall, and no steel beams, and no electrical, but when we installed, we had wired connections throughout the house, no WIFI devices, and ever since we went WIFI, we have been struggling to find the best solution.

Currently my solution is a wired connection to a D-Link 1620 extender which can be a repeater on wireless or wired as I have done, turn off the 2.4 to avoid any further saturation on that frequency, and only unfortunate thing is that we have to switch our connections as we move around the home, but I named the WIFI SSID as west side from the router on 2.4 and 5.0 and from the repeater east side on 5.0 only to make it easier to know which network signal I should be on.

I have gone the bridged router route with improvements before 5.0 came along and before my 2.4 was totally saturated from my neighbours, then I went the router, with another router on the upper floor acting as an access point - basically the same as the 1620 does.

I looked at the Google WIFI solution that was on sale last week on black friday sales, but they were out of stock, and the repeater was also on sale for under 50.00, so I went that route.  I am not fully satisfied, it is a compromise, but the reality of the layout of my home.  I can't blame Rogers or Hitron for the reality of how WIFI signals work, and the architectural layout of my home.  So I work the solutions.

Thanks for telling all of us what you did, it allows us all to become educated on how to work with the reality of the limitations of WIFI, interference, electrical structural walls and so forth.

Good luck with your solution.

Bruce

I Plan to Stick Around

Good luck Bruce. FYI on the Google wifi sale, (if your existing system diesnt work well) a number of retailers have had and may have the sale again. Best Buy, Visions, and Walmart

Good luck,
I've Been Around

Everything was working fine with 28T2 firmware, never lost connection. Losing connection now at least once a day on 33T3.
I Plan to Stick Around

Not sure if this is a CODA issue, but we have a Samsung Camera that in the past we were able to connect to wifi to share pics.    Now all of a sudden we are unable to do so.  Took the camera in for repair and they reset the wifi internally on the camera.   Brought it home and it does not work here.    All other devices connect without issue, camera gives me the error "reconnect to the ap or ensure that the ap is available".    Have rebooted the camera and the Coda and nothing, also tried manually entering SSiD and credentials.     Next step will be trying wifi at friends house or work.