CODA-4582 - Open Issues for Investigation

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: CODA-4582 - Open Issues for Investigation

I don't wanna take this thread off topic, but you've posted this a few times now. Rogers DOES NOT do any form of traffic shaping, the speedest.net results are accurate. Different providers use different peers/routing, so the private server you used that provides maximum speed may not be peered well with Rogers and that's why you aren't seeing max speeds. Every ISP has certain routing/peering they use, so not every server will connect at full speed, and there can be high latency depending how it's routed/server location. It's always best to use a local speedtest server when testing speed, I use beanfield on the speedtest site.

I Plan to Stick Around

Got 2.0.10.20!

2017-01-10_19-07-11.png

Microsoft® MVP Windows Insider - Windows Security
I Plan to Stick Around

@RogersDave

I got the .20 but now my our phone and TV cannot connect to 5Ghz AC. Stuck in obtaining IP.

I did reset and reboot several times

Anyone encountered the same error?

I Plan to Stick Around

@14N wrote:

@RogersDave

I got the .20 but now my our phone and TV cannot connect to 5Ghz AC. Stuck in obtaining IP.

I haven't reset or rebooted yet, was just about to so I will wait! 250\20

I Plan to Stick Around

I've got the .20 update and so far wifi seems to be improved within the first 2 hours of a modem reboot. Still issues for sure but an improvement at this point in my testing.

I'm almost getting half of what I use to get on 250u. I'm still seeing jitter but thats probably outside modem firmware issues.

Edit: 3 hours after reboot speeds have come to a crawl ie 12mbps/18mbps where I usually see 330/21mbps - wifi connected

I Plan to Stick Around

I've primarily (only) used my modem in bridge mode, @RogersDave but other than that -- yes, it occurred on .13/.14 as I had that before I reached out to you for .18/.19/.20. I've used two separate routers (Google & Ubiquiti) and both experienced the issue. I've also encountered the issue with wi-fi off when using the modem as a gateway, non-bridged. The only scenario I haven't tested is using the modem's own Wi-Fi -- as I fail to see how that would help 🙂
I Plan to Stick Around

@14N wrote:

@RogersDave

I reset it through the pinhole at the back of the modem and I manually set my settings instead of restoring from backup. I can now connect to 5Ghz AC.

Bridge mode with TP-Link C2600 is still not working.

I Plan to Stick Around

I know that Rogers no longer shapes, but I wonder at how realistic the speed tests are sometimes.

Using both speedtest.net and the DSL Reports speed test, I've gotten anywhere between 300mbps and 750mbps down, through my router+bridged modem.

However, using a large Linux ISO torrent, my router's CPU would cap out at only ~39MB/sec (which is around 312 mbps)

I'm not sure which is the more accurate, but the torrent sustained that speed for a decent period of time where the speed tests have never been consistent twice in a row. Could be that the torrent is just stresssing my router and showing its limitations, not getting to the point where my connection might be flaky?

@gp-se wrote:
I don't wanna take this thread off topic, but you've posted this a few times now. Rogers DOES NOT do any form of traffic shaping, the speedest.net results are accurate. Different providers use different peers/routing, so the private server you used that provides maximum speed may not be peered well with Rogers and that's why you aren't seeing max speeds. Every ISP has certain routing/peering they use, so not every server will connect at full speed, and there can be high latency depending how it's routed/server location. It's always best to use a local speedtest server when testing speed, I use beanfield on the speedtest site.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I don't think your connection is bad, the problem with torrents is depending on seeds/peers its not consistant. I think if speedtest.net shows you as getting good speeds then that is your real speed. Also there are a lot of variables: local node congestion, your computers hardware and background tasks it's running when you test speed, etc. If Rogers was "boosting/faking" speed test results then you would see a lot of people complaing about this, but I haven't heard of anyone complain about this issue. From my personal experience I'm getting the speeds I'm paying for when I download from various sources. (I'm on 1000/50) 

I Plan to Stick Around

@Triple_Helix wrote:

@14N wrote:

@RogersDave

I haven't reset or rebooted yet, was just about to so I will wait! 250\20

I did a reset and a reboot and all is working fine:

5GHz wi-fi band!

2017-01-11_10-28-17.png