CODA-4582 - Open Issues for Investigation

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: CODA-4582 - Open Issues for Investigation

DFS opens up more channels which would otherwise be inaccessible in Canada, @mahomed

If you live in an area where there are a lot of 5G network users (like, say, a cluster of 5 condos), then those networks will typically be a lot less congested.

I'm a Reliable Contributor

@RogersDave wrote:

Community,

Quick update for everybody. I just pushed code 2.0.10.31 to some of you. Based on feedback, I will continue deployment in the coming days (and will resume firmware upgrades for new participants as well).

Code 2.0.10.31 on CODA is the same as 2.0.10.29 with the following changes:

• Band steering is visible in GUI (advanced WiFi 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz)
  • DFS is visible in GUI (advanced WiFi 5GHz)
  • Available DFS channel list updated
  • USB function control displayed in gateway function GUI

Dave

@RogersDave I can confirm that all those features are present on 2.0.10.31. I have done some initial testing with this firmware and all the WiFi speeds and Wired speeds are as normal. In terms of WiFi speed complaints on the DFS channels, they have now been resolved with this firmware. 

Be advised that if you do switch to one of the DFS channels, the SSID will take 2-3 minutes longer to appear on your device than if you were on the non-DFS channels. 

The latency problem reported on 2.0.10.30T1 appears to be gone from my initial testing with League of Legends. My ping is averages 24-27ms on this firmware compared to 30-35ms on .30T1. I will see what others have to say about the latency in the firmware, but from what I have tested everything seems to be working nicely so far. 

I Plan to Stick Around

Two disruptions within the last 2 hours?

WAN up made it to 17 hours this morning then THREE disruptions as I write this.

And there goes the VOIP ATA.

Will .31 resolve?

Bell just installed their FTTH access right across the street. Wonder if they're any better?

Highlighted

Hello @RogersDave

I did some speed tests on the 5 Ghz with DFS on and DFS off and here are my results:

Connected to Modem via CAT 6:

speedtest.jpg

5 Ghz DFS On:

5 ghz dfs on2.jpg

5 Ghz DFS Off:

5 ghz dfs off.jpg

I tried multiple speed tests around the same time to rule out sampling differences.  It appears that the extra channels with DFS on are causing some performance issues.  My WiFi card on my laptop is an Intel AC-7260 running the latest drivers (18.00.7.2)

I Plan to Stick Around

@mahomed do you know what channels you were using for your DFS on and off tests?  Keep in mind since you're (probably) using different channels, the results can be different.

Also, clearly, the DigitalOcean speed test isn't reliable based on the wired results being way too high.  Suggest running on speedtest or DSL reports.

Keep in mind that when DFS is enabled, the AP:

• Looks for radar detection before securing a frequency channel.
  • Scans continuously for radar signal patterns during normal operation.

If you're using a DFS enabled channel, there may be some loss in order to accomplish the second.  However, in the event that you are in an area that has congested 5GHz bands, that loss may be less than having to share the non-DFS channel with other users.

@Telek

Thanks for letting me know.  

Using http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html, I scanned 26 WiFi networks in my area and only 1 additional 5 Ghz network in my area on channel 36.  I just turned DFS off as I clearly don't have any issues with congestion on the 5 Ghz band.  🙂

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Telek wrote:

@mahomed do you know what channels you were using for your DFS on and off tests?  Keep in mind since you're (probably) using different channels, the results can be different.

Also, clearly, the DigitalOcean speed test isn't reliable based on the wired results being way too high.  Suggest running on speedtest or DSL reports.

Keep in mind that when DFS is enabled, the AP:

• Looks for radar detection before securing a frequency channel.
  • Scans continuously for radar signal patterns during normal operation.

If you're using a DFS enabled channel, there may be some loss in order to accomplish the second.  However, in the event that you are in an area that has congested 5GHz bands, that loss may be less than having to share the non-DFS channel with other users.

I Agree complexity with this, different channels can make a huge difference in speed. The best thing is to run a WiFi analyzer and see what channels are in use, then choose a channel that isn't in use/low number of users. A good example is when I was using channel 149 and over WiFi it would max out around 600mb/s. Changing to channel 40 and I can speed test at 750-800mb/s over WiFi. I am using a TP-Link Archer C3150 set as an access point going though a PF Sense box with the CODA in bridge mode. 

One more thing about DFS, they are dynamic channels so performance can be all over the place, if you aren't in a congested area I would say keep it turned off. 

I Plan to Stick Around

@Datalink I can confirm I only have IPV4 enabled. So if the issue is modem to CMTS issue how do I fix it? Is really love to have no more issues with the Internet. It's been over a month of us dealing with this. @RogersDave if as @Datalink suggests and the issue is modem to CMTS what do we do next?
I'm Here A Lot

@RogersDave

I've been monitoring my latency issues, as I'm coming up on 5 days left on my PingPlotter trial.

No change in the issue at all, here are a couple quick graphs from this morning.

A 5min run of the regular (and horribly annoying) ping spikes:

99.253.240.1.png

And a 10min run that captured a very fun looking mountain solid  800ms+ spike:

99.253.240.1-2.gif

Both of these were run hardwired to the CODA-4582, with that computer being the only connection to the modem and with wifi disabled. I'm still on .27, and being that .27 was supposed to fix latency issues would this be a larger network issue? I've discussed this with @datalink earlier and would love to have some network input on it. My end-to-end momentary lag is causing a lot of gaming issues, of which I didn't have until the last few months.

Tech support has repeatedly run 'tests' and all is okay. Help, please!

I've Been Here Awhile

CODA-4582 VPN disconnects

Hello fellow Tech-enthuasists , I have started a new Work-From-Home job and have to connect to a VPN to do business, this is a Paid VPN service by the way.

I have talked to at least 3 tech's and have spoken to the online tech support chat countless of times, there seems to be an ongoing problem with Rogers ISP and VPN. 

I have read through the similar threads about other routers problems and VPN and have tried many of the tricks (disable usb storage,ect).

Im almost at my wits end as I'm down 2 days pay now because of this, I have done many networking courses and I work in I.T myself, so you can understand how much its driving me nuts not being able to get it working.

Can anyone shed some light on what else I can try if anything?