CODA-4582 - Open Issues for Investigation

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: CODA-4582 - Open Issues for Investigation

@Datalink wrote:

Ah, yes, I am positively, absolutely, 100% sure, after running numerous trial versions preceding .24 and .26.  It wasn't standard procedure to roll back to a previous version if a Factory Reset was run.  If a roll-back to a previous version happens, its due to some technical reason specific to the version in question.  If Dave decides to make that standard procedure, ok, it is what it is.  Until the recent change, my standard procedure was to run a Factory reset after a trial version was loaded, coming out of the reset and reboot with the trial version intact on the modem, so, yes, I'm sure. 

@RogersDave explained this when he came up with the workaround for IPv6 bugs in early CODA-4582 firmwares.

Old way: modems booted up with whatever firmware and connected to the network. A day or two later, a script ran that checked all modems' firmware, and updated modems to the newest release firmware unless the modem was on an exception list. If you join the trial program, Dave puts you on the exception list and manually updates your firmware. If you factory reset, you keep your trial firmware.

New way: modems boot up, and if they have any version other the right one, they get immediately updated to the 'right' one. To avoid this happening with trial participants, Dave sets a setting in the trial participants' modems so that they won't be downgraded back down. When you do a factory reset... whoooooooooops... that setting is removed along with the others, so the modem reboots and promptly updates ('downdates'?) itself to the version that the CMTS mandates.

This whole thing was done so they could reenable IPv6 on the 4582 without the IPv6 bugs affecting new 4582s for a day or two...

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

isn't that what I said?   I'm sure it was, lol ....

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

@Telek wrote:

What is it that you were doing that needed a factory reset as opposed to just a reboot?  I think this is there as an emergency bail-out situation. The last thing we want is to be on a beta firmware, find out that it's not so great, then have to suffer with it.

Keep in mind that you can backup your settings and restore them at any point, which may give you the same benefit that you find with a factory reset.

For this modem it is not an "emergency bail-out situation" -- it's a necessity, has always been, from the very beginning.  Also I've been in the beta since CGN days (which is like almost 2.5 years by now) and at the beginning you were able to do a reset without reverting to a public release fw. Now it's just silly because the modem's performance degrades rapidly, and after 2 updates it lags so badly it's unusable. 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Vikentieff are you running a VPN for extended periods of time by any chance.  Just trying to figure out why you would see a huge drop in performance.  I don't reboot my modem unless its had a very recent update or unless I switch from Bridge to Gateway mode or vice versa for test purposes.

I'm a Regular

Is anyone else experiencing packet loss with IPv6? My CODA is bridged and I'm using an Asus RT-AC68U router. IPv6 is configured properly on the Asus. Using ping plotter, there's no packet loss with IPv4 but with IPv6, there's packet loss across multiple hops including the very first one. I'm using Google to run ping plotter tests on both IPv4 and IPv6. Thanks.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I haven't checked this with IPV6 but with IPV4 I'm seeing packet loss.  I'm coming to the conclusion that there's something strange going on with .27 when it comes to pingplotter returns from the CMTS.  I was playing with that just now in IPV4, pinging the CMTS and when the modem is in Gateway mode there is packet loss reported from the modem when the ping interval is less than 1 second.  Its also possible to see the occasional packet loss report from the CMTS, but that isn't usual from what I can see.  Remember this is only going as far as the CMTS.  When you go beyond the CMTS, say for example google.ca, at 1 second ping interval I might see the odd packet loss report from the modem.  If I reduce the ping interval below 1 second, something trips at some point and the packet loss becomes a regular occurance from both the modem and the CMTS, ending up around a continual 45% or so.  So that is definitely odd.  That didn't happen on previous modem firmware versions. 

I don't have time at the moment to repeat this in Bridge mode thru the router, but, I played very briefly with that last night and ended up with packet loss indicated from the modem and CMTS with a ping time less than 1 second.  I'd like to have a better look at that to confirm it, but, don't have time until later this evening. 

So, from what I can see, running 1 second intervals should take care of this for now.  The ultimate fix is to fix the modem.

If you ever doubt the pingplotter results, bring up a command prompt and ping the same address or any point along the way:  ping xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx -t    That will confirm or deny the pingplotter packet loss report.

Use Command C to bail out

I Plan to Stick Around

@Datalink. I've seen some of this as well. Where. I was testing ping plotter for twitch issues. If I use something like Google.ca that uses ipv6 it's not present. Check some of the ping plotter results I posted on the gaming thread

Mythen
I'm a Regular

I haven't tried using a command prompt yet but I consistently get packet loss with IPv6 regardless of address and regardless of interval. I haven't tried with the CODA in gateway mode. I get zero packet loss with IPv4...all is well. Interestingly enough, I disabled IPv6 on my Asus and not only do sites load quite a bit "snappier" but I also no longer get the occasional timeouts I was getting with IPv6 enabled. I think I'll leave it disabled for now Smiley Happy

Oh, and the IPv6 packet loss isn't new to .27. I was seeing this several firmware versions ago.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@toolcubed what are you using for the IPV6 DNS address in your Asus router?

And, are you using the AI Protection by any chance.  I think that uses site reputation and doesn't necessarily scan any or all IPV4 packets.  From what I've seen using speed tests with all or some of the components of the AI Protection enabled, it looks as though IPV6 packets are scanned, which will drop the throughput rate considerably.  Try running the speedtest at:

http://speedtest.xfinity.com/

With IPV6 enabled that should show both IPV4 and IPV6 results separately.  You have to run through one test before you can access the advance settings which is nothing more than site selection.  You can then choose Detroit as the nearest server.  Using that site, try different components of the AI Protection.  That will give you a pretty good idea of how much of a drop the AI Protection imposes, if in fact you are using it.

I'm a Regular

Thanks Datalink. AIProtection is disabled. I re-enabled IPv6 and ran thru the Xfinity speed test as you suggested. Results are more or less the same for both IPv6 and IPv4. Both are very good (slightly more on both download and upload than what I'm subscribed to...I have 100/10 but tests show 130/11). I then decided to do another IPv6 ping plotter test and there was NO packet loss. So either:

1. Packet loss on IPv6 is tied to peak times and congestion (I never ran a ping plotter test this early...it was before 7am ET).

OR

2. The disabling/enabling of IPv6 on my Asus fixed the problem. I'll keep testing and monitoring to see if/when the packet loss comes back.

IPv6 setting on the Asus:

Connection Type: Native
DHCP-PD: Enable
LAN Prefix Length: 64
Auto Config Setting: Stateless
Connect to DNS Server Automatically: Enable
Enable Router Advertisement: Enable