CODA-4582 - Open Issues for Investigation

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: CODA-4582 - Open Issues for Investigation

@Dhshpatel

@Dhshpatel wrote:
All Lan port Dead after modem restart. Modem restart b os it's dead.
It's 2.0.10.26T2

Go to your local Rogers store and exchange the modem, the dead lan ports are a harware issue.

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Hello, wondering if anyone has this problem with the CODA-4582.  I don't operate in bridge mode and let the CODA handle all DHCP.  Ever since I first installed the CODA-4582 (currently on 2.0.10.26T2), rebooting the device (when noticing slowdowns) shuts down DHCP on IP4.  All wired and wireless devices are unable to obtain an IP4 address and end up with 169.x.x.x, only IP6 addresses seem to remain.  Forcing an IP release/renew on connected wired or wireless devices still doesn't obtain an IP4 address.  I haven't made any changes to DHCP, leaving the default range of addresses.  The only way to get DHCP functioning again is a full reset of the CODA.  Is this a known issue?  I've searched on this thread and others but haven't found anything similar.  No other device on my network is running DHCP.  Thanks!

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@DowntownCanada

@DowntownCanada wrote:

Hello, wondering if anyone has this problem with the CODA-4582.  I don't operate in bridge mode and let the CODA handle all DHCP.  Ever since I first installed the CODA-4582 (currently on 2.0.10.26T2), rebooting the device (when noticing slowdowns) shuts down DHCP on IP4.  All wired and wireless devices are unable to obtain an IP4 address and end up with 169.x.x.x, only IP6 addresses seem to remain.  Forcing an IP release/renew on connected wired or wireless devices still doesn't obtain an IP4 address.  I haven't made any changes to DHCP, leaving the default range of addresses.  The only way to get DHCP functioning again is a full reset of the CODA.  Is this a known issue?  I've searched on this thread and others but haven't found anything similar.  No other device on my network is running DHCP.  Thanks!

That is strange, I personally haven't experienced that issue. As for the slow downs and being forced to restart the modem I would suggest you join the beta firmware program. The latest beta firmware (.27) is VERY good compared to previous versions, and has speed/latency improvements. With the latest beta firmware you shouldn't have to reboot your modem anymore because of slow downs. To join the beta program send a PM to @CommunityHelps with the subject "CODA Firmware Trial" in the message include your account number, and modem MAC address and serial number, you can find them when you log in to the modem. 

I'm a Regular

I have a CODA on the latest trial firmware (.27). My download speed is perfect at all times of day but my upload speed is still pretty erratic during peak hours (after 8pm). I reported this problem a while ago and RogersDave indicated my area is flagged for needing work (either by tweaking the CMTS or a physical node split) but he didn't have dates. I did PM him to see if he had any updates on the issue but haven't received a response. I suspect he's super busy so I don't want to bug him again. I'm not going to call in to ask because we all know how that's going to go 😉 I'll try CommunityHelps if necessary but thought I'd check back in here first. Any Rogers employees who can help get some updates on the status of my area (i.e. work required, dates, etc)? Thanks.
I Plan to Stick Around

I just got .27 last night and ran a few UDP tests. Went from a constant 5% packet lost on the UDP side to 4%. it's an improvement but it's still an awful experience. Time of day does not seem to affect it. 

root@Tower:~# iperf3 -c iperf.he.net -u -i 1 -b 1000M
Connecting to host iperf.he.net, port 5201
[ 4] local 192.168.0.3 port 38131 connected to 216.218.227.10 port 5201
[ ID] Interval Transfer Bandwidth Total Datagrams
[ 4] 0.00-1.00 sec 106 MBytes 888 Mbits/sec 76637
[ 4] 1.00-2.00 sec 114 MBytes 955 Mbits/sec 82458
[ 4] 2.00-3.00 sec 114 MBytes 954 Mbits/sec 82343
[ 4] 3.00-4.00 sec 113 MBytes 950 Mbits/sec 82037
[ 4] 4.00-5.00 sec 114 MBytes 953 Mbits/sec 82234
[ 4] 5.00-6.00 sec 113 MBytes 950 Mbits/sec 82024
[ 4] 6.00-7.00 sec 113 MBytes 951 Mbits/sec 82090
[ 4] 7.00-8.00 sec 113 MBytes 950 Mbits/sec 82037
[ 4] 8.00-9.00 sec 113 MBytes 949 Mbits/sec 81951
[ 4] 9.00-10.00 sec 113 MBytes 945 Mbits/sec 81569
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
[ ID] Interval Transfer Bandwidth Jitter Lost/Total Datagrams
[ 4] 0.00-10.00 sec 1.10 GBytes 945 Mbits/sec 0.198 ms 750666/783248 (96%)
[ 4] Sent 783248 datagrams

iperf Done.

I Plan to Stick Around

I have a feeling we will see a firmware update this week
I'm a Reliable Contributor

There's a good chance yes..

I Plan to Stick Around

For anyone else having this issue - How long has it been? I just noticed it a few weeks ago, and finally had time this past week to really dig around and find this thread. Called Rogers on Friday night to request the .27 FW, had it applied last night and noticed a slight (5 to 4%) packet loss improvement, but still 4% packet loss is something i'd expect on a Cogent circuit in Bangladesh, not Rogers in Toronto. 

I Plan to Stick Around

Here's hoping we get a firmware update this week!! That would be awesome!
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@DeeNice you're misreading the Lost/Total datagrams.  The loss that is indicated is 96%, not 4 %.  The one problem here is that iperf 3.13 has a problem reporting losses which are beyond the real losses.  The only thing that version is really good for when testing UDP is to determine when the losses actually start, because any loss figure that it presents is above the real loss number.  The way to test this with V3.13 is to walk down the bandwidth so that you end up with 0% losses. That's for both directions.  Use the -R switch to set iperf to run as a receiver.  The loss levels will be different for up and down tests but you will know when those losses start with v3.13 

Fwiw, iperf 3.17 is out for linux and other systems.  The iperf.fr site still has 3.13 available for the windows version. 

From the github closes issues list #296 comes the following:

"We note that iperf 3.1.5 and newer contain a fix for UDP sending defaults (the old defaults resulted in a too-large packets needing to be fragmented at the IP layer). That can account for some of the problems seen in this thread. Closing for now, please re-open or file a new issue if this problem persists."

It looks like the defaults were changed in V3.14.  So, with V3.13, you should set the buffer length manualy so something like:  -l 1k  (-small L  1k)

Also fwiw, someone has compiled V3.16 to run on windows as indicated here:

https://www.neowin.net/forum/topic/1234695-iperf-316-windows-build/

For whatever reason, it would appear that the link for the download doesn't work.  I've sent an email to determine what the problem is. 

For a little historical background, UDP losses on the Puma chipsets are not new.  It would appear that the UDP loss situation has followed to the Puma 7 which is unfortunate, although, the Puma 7 is better than the Puma 6 chipset in terms of its overall performance including UDP losses.  This is just one of several problems with the Puma 6 and Puma 7 chipsets that Intel is working to resolve.