CODA-4582 - Open Issues for Investigation

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Re: CODA-4582 - Open Issues for Investigation

CODA with .19

250/20 Plan

+Speedtest on .19 similar to previous version .17 and .13 ( also similar to CGN3 ACMR)

-Down 330 / Up 22 ( speedtest,dslreport all, rogers speedtest).

+ Online Gaming: Similar results to .17 and .13 ( also similar to CGN 3 ACMR)

-Ping in CSGO,DOTA2,Overwatch and all similar to before.

DSLreports blufferbloat

PC hard wired with cat6 , D on Blufferbloat

Ipad air 2 on 5 ghz, I got a D and did another test later got an F.

I Plan to Stick Around

@NBomb @gp-se From my experience, I often get a real actual speed from Testmynet. I use NY server. While others are getting 250mbps+on a 250u plan. I am getting 110mbps at max on a Gigabit plan right now in that site with this modem. I suspect it is because of very high lag spikes as reported in DSL reports. I get 5000+Mbps and sometimes even 10,000+Mbps. During downloading files the test gets stuck 3-5 times for 5-7 seconds. I think it is lag spikes that is causing this.

I Plan to Stick Around

So I bought a TP-Link Archer C2600 but have not set it up. Is the issue on the C2600 as a whole or is it selected? I have yet to find time to actually install it on my end so I may just wait it out for the *.21 firmware

Network Architect
Network Architect

@Coccino wrote:

So I bought a TP-Link Archer C2600 but have not set it up. Is the issue on the C2600 as a whole or is it selected? I have yet to find time to actually install it on my end so I may just wait it out for the *.21 firmware

I believe the issue affects the stock firmware of the TP-Link C2600. Running DD-WRT or OpenWRT would likely work.

Dave

I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks @RogersDave. I'll give it a test maybe this weekend just to see how it is with the stock firmware. I am not too keen to flash this with Open-WRT right now. If all things fail, I will wait for the new CODA firmware. What is the timeframe for that anyway?

In other news, since the updated CODA firmware, I am back to getting ~600mbps. While it isn't the full speed, it is what I was getting before the CODA modem swap.

I've Been Here Awhile

Hi RogersDave,

Yesterday I upgraded from ignite 100 to the ignite 250, replacing the rocket modem with the Hitron CODA-4582. We had some initial hiccups with the registration but these were resolved this morning.

We are getting good speeds when we are close to the unit (over 300 Mbps down and over 20 Mbps up) however, compared to the rocket, the 4582 does not work as well at  distance. even moving 20 feet away we see slower speeds than we had before.

I also work out of my basement - 60 feet away - and have poor reception and at times cannot even connect  to the 5G. I have tried using a dlink-1320 booster but that did not improve the speed. The 4582 modem is in the same position as before. Have you seen or heard of the speed dropoff? When/where would you expect this to ba an issue? Is there any way to boost the power output to provide a better range?

I look forward to your response.

Keith

Network Architect
Network Architect

The best suggestions I can give you are

1- Make sure the modem is standing up right (the Rogers logo should be front top)

2- Make sure there is nothing on top of the modem especially and leave some space around it

3- For the 5 GHz band, manually set your channel to 149-153-157-161

Other than that, there are still improvement planned to the WiFi, likely in version 2.0.10.22 of the firmware (and no I have no date yet).

Dave

Network Architect
Network Architect

Community,

I did some further testing regarding bufferbloat and I'm asking for your help for some additional tests.

On the Rogers network, we have had a feature enabled for quite a few years that allows short bursts of much higher data speed. For example, a 100u plan can actually burst in excess of 200 Mbps. This feature is not active on our Gigabit plan but does exist on the lower tiers.

When running a speedtest on DSLReports here, the impact of this feature can often be seen in the download speed where the speed starts high then drop closer to the real plan speed. I am wondering how much impact this feature has on the bufferbloat measurement if the speedtest detects a much higher speed than than the reality.

In the speedtest preferences on DSLReports, it is possible to set "Down megabit/sec" to a target test speed.

My ask is would it be possible for some of you to run a speedtest without this setting and report the speed and bufferbloat then set this parameter to your actual tier speed (60, 70, 100, 250 or 500). I'm really interested in knowing what bufferbloat result you get with and without this setting and also what tier you are on.

Thanks

Dave

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Thanks Dave. I am not too tech savvy but how do I manually set the channel?

Modem is upright and lots of space around it. Does Rogers upload/download the firmware automatically or do I need to activate it when it is available?

Keith

I'm a Reliable Contributor

On CODA .19

250/20 Plan

-Set to max speed 250 MB/S

Here's my result

http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest/8751338

B for blufferbloat the best I ever got so far.

So I think the speedboost might cause some heavy blufferbloat.

Coming on PPV!
Real Madrid vs. Atlético (Athletic) Bilbao Live
LIVE: Saturday April 21, 2019 10AM ET
Countdown: 8:00 PM ET
Channels: 348 (HD) | 350 (SD) | Ignite TV 499 | 391 (beIN English) 392 (beIN Spanish)
Price: $5.99 (HD) | $5.99 (SD) | Ignite TV $5.99 | (beIN subscription $14.99/mo.)
Ignite TV & DTV customers can order now!

Real Madrid faces Athletic Bilbao in a regular la liga league soccer match. Subscribe to beIN Sports for $14.99/mo. to get the game and more La Liga and international Sporting events.

Crawford vs. Khan Live
LIVE: Saturday April 20, 2019 9PM ET
Countdown: 8:00 PM ET
Channels: 348 (HD) | 350 (SD) | Ignite TV 499
Price: $79.99 (HD) | $74.99 (SD) | Ignite TV $79.99
Ignite TV & DTV customers can order now!

Undefeated virtuoso Terence "Bud" Crawford (34-0, 25 KOs) will defend his welterweight world title against British boxing royalty Amir "King" Khan (33-4, 20 KOs) in a collision of superstars.