CODA-4582 - Open Issues for Investigation

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: CODA-4582 - Open Issues for Investigation

@Vikentieff wrote:

For this modem it is not an "emergency bail-out situation" -- it's a necessity, has always been, from the very beginning.  Also I've been in the beta since CGN days (which is like almost 2.5 years by now) and at the beginning you were able to do a reset without reverting to a public release fw. Now it's just silly because the modem's performance degrades rapidly, and after 2 updates it lags so badly it's unusable. 

But this really requires a factory reset? As opposed to just a reboot?  I haven't seen anyone complain here of problems that persist past a reboot.

I'm a Regular

OK, here's an update to my last post above.  Just did a couple more ping plotter tests to Google IPv6.  The first test showed packet loss on hops 1, 2, and 9.  The packet loss gradually went away on hops 1 and 2 but remained there for hop 9.  I then did another speed test from the xfinity site but it was normal on both IPv6 and IPv4 (130 down and 11 up).  I then did another ping plotter test to Google IPv6 and there was consistent packet loss on hop 9 only.  Still zero packet loss on IPv4.  These tests were performed around 10:45am ET.

I Plan to Stick Around

@Datalink wrote:

I haven't checked this with IPV6 but with IPV4 I'm seeing packet loss.  I'm coming to the conclusion that there's something strange going on with .27 when it comes to pingplotter returns from the CMTS.  I was playing with that just now in IPV4, pinging the CMTS and when the modem is in Gateway mode there is packet loss reported from the modem when the ping interval is less than 1 second.  Its also possible to see the occasional packet loss report from the CMTS, but that isn't usual from what I can see.  Remember this is only going as far as the CMTS.  When you go beyond the CMTS, say for example google.ca, at 1 second ping interval I might see the odd packet loss report from the modem.  If I reduce the ping interval below 1 second, something trips at some point and the packet loss becomes a regular occurance from both the modem and the CMTS, ending up around a continual 45% or so.  So that is definitely odd.  That didn't happen on previous modem firmware versions. 

I don't have time at the moment to repeat this in Bridge mode thru the router, but, I played very briefly with that last night and ended up with packet loss indicated from the modem and CMTS with a ping time less than 1 second.  I'd like to have a better look at that to confirm it, but, don't have time until later this evening. 

So, from what I can see, running 1 second intervals should take care of this for now.  The ultimate fix is to fix the modem.

If you ever doubt the pingplotter results, bring up a command prompt and ping the same address or any point along the way:  ping xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx -t    That will confirm or deny the pingplotter packet loss report.

Use Command C to bail out

FWIW I almost always have computers on my network running continual V4 pings to google, and I never see packet loss issues, except for that time before the .24 firmware and we had that really bad performance degradation.  Using standard ping -t www.google.com command.  I'd expect that many of the ping losses here are actually from modem updates/normal reboots.

Also when using the ping -t command you can Control-Break to get current statistics without breaking the ping trace.

Readding the ping results (note to moderators: this does NOT contain private info)

Ping statistics for 172.217.0.164:
    Packets: Sent = 3904471, Received = 3903971, Lost = 500 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 3ms, Maximum = 3004ms, Average = 9ms

Highlighted
I've Been Around

I have been consistently having low speed issues on the 2.4GHz network. I have the 100u package and the most I can get when using the 2.4GHz network is somewhere around 25mbps while sitting right next to the CODA 4582 modem. If I were to move a few feet away, the speed drops to under 10. This has been happening with multiple devices.

I haven't used wired connection much but the few of the times I connected to run speed tests, it seemed fine. 5GHz network also seems fine for the most part.

I have tried rebooting as well factory resetting the modem but it hasn't helped. Channel is currently set to auto and seems to be find as per WiFi analyzing apps on my phone and laptop. I have several devices only capable of 2.4GHz so I need to use it.

Any advise?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

First thing I would do is, check/set the following 2.4 Ghz wifi parameters:

Wireless Mode:  802.11 n
Channel Bandwidth:  20/40 Mhz, although, for test puposes you could set this to 20 Mhz.  In a crowded wifi environment, I would set this for 20 Mhz.  
Wireless channel:  AUTO or, to an open channel if one existed, or to the channel that offers the least interference from neighboring routers and modems
WPS Enabled:  OFF
Security Mode:  WPA-Personal
Auth Mode:  WPA2-PSK
Encrypt Mode:  AES only

Save the setting and ensure that the Encrypt Mode stays on AES only.  If it changes on its own to TKIP/AES, change it back to AES only and save the setting again.  TKIP is no longer secure and from what I remember will cause the wifi data rates to cap at 50 Mb/s.  I'll have to look this up again.

Wireless Mode:  802.11 a/n/ac mixed
Channel Bandwidth:  80 Mhz, although, for test puposes you could set this to 40 Mhz
Wireless channel:  149 to 165
WPS Enabled:  OFF
Security Mode:  WPA-Personal
Auth Mode:  WPA2-PSK
Encrypt Mode:  AES only

Once again, save the setting and ensure that the Encrypt Mode stays on AES only.  If it changes on its own to TKIP/AES, change it back to AES only and save the setting again.  

Reboot the modem if you had to make any changes, ADMIN ..... DEVICE RESET .... Reboot.

Did you use one of the following applications on your laptop to check the 2.4 Ghz wifi environment?

http://www.techspot.com/downloads/5936-inssider.html

https://www.acrylicwifi.com/en/wlan-software/wlan-scanner-acrylic-wifi-free/

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html

Ideally you would have a power separation in the neighborhood of 40 to 45 dBmW between your network and any network that overlaps the channel that you are using.  With inSSIDer, you would see that via the graphical display, and see it on the text data which can be sorted by using the column headers to sort up or down.  When that power separation decreases, you will end up with reduced data rates and possibly get to a point where running your network is almost impossible.  You have to take a critical look at the power levels and determine if there is any channel that offers the least amount of interference in terms of the power levels. 

Just to note the Hitron modems have never been noted for good wifi performance.  Having said that, there is an upcoming firmware version, V2.0.19.29 which will include improvements in wifi performance although I am not aware of the specifics.  That will hopefully be released to the trial group within the next month.  So, that might be enough to solve the issue.  Beyond that, if you are not able to resolve the issue thru a channel change, then perhaps you need to consider a router with external antenna which will give you better wifi performance.  That will also give you access to all of the settings that you typically find within a router but are not necessarily accessible in the modem.   

I Plan to Stick Around

Could the constant ARP request bombardment from the Casa CMTS be causing the UDP packet loss issues? Up until the Casa was installed in my neighbourhood, everything was working great and there were no ARP storms.

On 2.0.10.27 and the UDP packet loss is still there all the time on any UT4 game server. As soon as a higher UDP rate is used (due to removing FPS restriction) there is consistent upstream UDP loss. Limiting the FPS to a lower rate will remove most of the loss - in this game the fps is directly tied to how many UDP messages go out. I can provide more info on the problem-causing rates if needed.

Also tried using a VPN (tunnel bear) and the packet loss goes away completely (since its tunnelled over TCP).

I'm Here A Lot

Does all coda 4582 modem updated to .27 version ? Or only for trial program user?
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@ololo if you don't have V2.0.10.27 loaded, as is seen in the Software (Firmware) Version on the modem's Status page, reboot your 4582.  It will load .27 during the boot process and reboot on its own.  I usually run a second reboot after all is said done.  Version .27 has been released as the latest production firmware version for all 4582s on the network, passing the final approval process after running on the trial modems for a period of time. 

I'm a Reliable Contributor

Other than improvements in wifi, is there anything else in the work with .29?

I Plan to Stick Around

sh-4.2# iperf3 -c iperf.he.net -p 5201 -u -b 1M -i 1

Connecting to host iperf.he.net, port 5201

[  4] local 0000:0000:000:00:0000:0000:0000:0000 port 50133 connected to 2001:470:0:238::2 port 5201

[ ID] Interval           Transfer     Bandwidth       Total Datagrams

[  4]   0.00-1.00   sec   120 KBytes   983 Kbits/sec  15  

[  4]   1.00-2.00   sec   128 KBytes  1.05 Mbits/sec  16  

[  4]   2.00-3.00   sec   128 KBytes  1.05 Mbits/sec  16  

[  4]   3.00-4.00   sec   128 KBytes  1.05 Mbits/sec  16  

[  4]   4.00-5.00   sec   128 KBytes  1.05 Mbits/sec  16  

[  4]   5.00-6.00   sec   128 KBytes  1.05 Mbits/sec  16  

[  4]   6.00-7.00   sec   128 KBytes  1.05 Mbits/sec  16  

[  4]   7.00-8.00   sec   128 KBytes  1.05 Mbits/sec  16  

[  4]   8.00-9.00   sec   128 KBytes  1.05 Mbits/sec  16  

[  4]   9.00-10.00  sec   128 KBytes  1.05 Mbits/sec  16  

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

[ ID] Interval           Transfer     Bandwidth       Jitter    Lost/Total Datagrams

[  4]   0.00-10.00  sec  1.24 MBytes  1.04 Mbits/sec  5.531 ms  60/159 (38%)  

[  4] Sent 159 datagrams

Constant packet loss, both directions.