CODA-4582 - Open Issues for Investigation

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: CODA-4582 - Open Issues for Investigation

https://video-edge-8356a8.ord02.hls.ttvnw.net

that is the twitch server I hit 

I Plan to Stick Around

|------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
| WinMTR statistics |
| Host - % | Sent | Recv | Best | Avrg | Wrst | Last |
|------------------------------------------------|------|------|------|------|------|------|
| hitronhub.home - 9 | 132 | 121 | 0 | 0 | 12 | 0 |
 - 0 | 175 | 175 | 7 | 13 | 73 | 11 |
| 67.231.222.249 - 1 | 172 | 171 | 7 | 15 | 139 | 12 |
| 69.63.250.197 - 0 | 175 | 175 | 34 | 43 | 66 | 42 |
| 209.148.229.245 - 0 | 175 | 175 | 49 | 58 | 238 | 62 |
| 209.148.229.229 - 0 | 175 | 175 | 54 | 63 | 103 | 56 |
| 209.148.230.10 - 2 | 167 | 165 | 55 | 61 | 95 | 62 |
| No response from host - 100 | 35 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 |
|a104-93-188-110.deploy.static.akamaitechnologies.com - 1 | 171 | 170 | 53 | 60 | 174 | 56 |
|________________________________________________|______|______|______|______|______|______|
WinMTR v0.92 GPL V2 by Appnor MSP - Fully Managed Hosting & Cloud Provider

with google DNS

I Plan to Stick Around

@Telek wrote:

@Jeffj wrote:

Be sure to flush your dns cache when you switch DNS server or it wont even make a request ot the new dns when you switch them if the cache hit on the computer is valid (which it will be).

With these results it appears its still using googles cached dns results 

ipconfig /flushdns

Changing the DNS servers will automatically do that.

You can verify that you're getting the correct results by using nslookup instead, and manually specifying which server to query.

The results are actually the same:

> video-edge-83437c.ord02.hls.ttvnw.net
Server:  google-public-dns-a.google.com
Address:  8.8.8.8

Non-authoritative answer:
Name:    video-edge-83437c.ord02.hls.ttvnw.net
Address:  192.16.66.49

> twitch.tv
Server:  google-public-dns-a.google.com
Address:  8.8.8.8

Name:    twitch.tv
Addresses:  52.36.196.57
> video-edge-83437c.ord02.hls.ttvnw.net
Server: dns.cs.net.rogers.com
Address: 64.71.255.198

Name: video-edge-83437c.ord02.hls.ttvnw.net
Address: 192.16.66.49

> twitch.tv
Server: dns.cs.net.rogers.com
Address: 64.71.255.198

Name: twitch.tv
Addresses: 50.112.196.159

If you change it in windows correct, I was assuming he was changing it in the routing equipment. 

I'm an Advisor

@Telek wrote:

Very interesting, and yes, that makes perfect sense!

VivienM wrote: 

The key thing to remember with this is that the IP you get is based on your DNS server, not your own IP... (and btw, this is why I would be hesitant to use something like OpenDNS/Google Public DNS because I would expect you'd get CDN results further away) 

Right, but I would assume that companies like Google and OpenDNS probably are smart enough to be able to figure out proper geographic DNS lookup to support the most efficient routing.

But this isn't done on Google/OpenDNS's end. It's done on the CDN provider's DNS server.

The way it works is this: a DNS server (whether run by Rogers, me, or Google/OpenDNS) makes a DNS query to the CDN provider's DNS server. The CDN provider's DNS server runs magical software that looks up the IP that it received the DNS query from (i.e. outbound the IP of Rogers, Google/OpenDNS, etc's DNS server) in some kind of routing table/database, and returns a DNS record pointing to what it thinks is the 'closest' CDN location's IP. But I believe closest is defined... based on the DNS server's IP. Unless DNS has been extended in some way that I don't know about (my knowledge of this stuff is fairly rusty), they have no way of knowing the IP of the person who made that DNS query to that DNS server in the first place.

Now, Google uses anycast, so I'm sure their server is likely in Toronto and would be identified as such, so it's unlikely to have majorly dramatic impact the way using a non-anycast DNS server in Asia, say, would.

I'm an Advisor

@Telek wrote:

@Mythen unfortunately the twitch.tv traceroute itself doesn't help -- we need the servers that are actually providing the streaming.

If you press F12 in your browser, you can head over to the network tab and see the actual requests (including server names) that are used to provide the streams.

For example, I just tried now and it is video-edge-83437c.ord02.hls.ttvnw.net

I wonder if they might be doing some kind of load balancing whereby their web pages are dynamically generated to refer to different hostnames based on... some algorithm. It would, if it works right, be infinitely more accurate than DNS-based load balancing.

(i.e. it looks up your IP, then if it determines that the best server is whatever.ttvnw.net, the web pages you get have references to whatever.ttvnw.net. But a different person with a different IP might get somethingelse.ttvnw.net)

I Plan to Stick Around

@VivienM wrote:
I wonder if they might be doing some kind of load balancing whereby their web pages are dynamically generated to refer to different hostnames based on... some algorithm. It would, if it works right, be infinitely more accurate than DNS-based load balancing.

(i.e. it looks up your IP, then if it determines that the best server is whatever.ttvnw.net, the web pages you get have references to whatever.ttvnw.net. But a different person with a different IP might get somethingelse.ttvnw.net)

I would think that the algorithm would be more client-side. I.e. the web server provides a list of content servers that are available, potentially with their current load levels. The client "pings" them, determines which one is best (including current load levels), and uses that one.  This way it takes into account real client-side performance which may or may not have anything to do with location.

I Plan to Stick Around

Hi @RogersDave

My modem was .27 but when I did a hard reset, it rolled back to 26T2. Could you update it back to .27?

2.4 Ghz speed seems to be better in .27

Isn't the special character in password already resolved with 26T2? It won't still accept special character

Thanks

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

@14N wrote:

Hi @RogersDave

My modem was .27 but when I did a hard reset, it rolled back to 26T2. Could you update it back to .27?

2.4 Ghz speed seems to be better in .27

Isn't the special character in password already resolved with 26T2? It won't still accept special character

Thanks

was already updated to .27 this morning

I've Been Here Awhile

Hi All,

Is there any way to get enrolled to beta program with Coda-4582 and get installed 2.0.10.27? I have an issue with Guest WiFi plus some of my wireless IP cameras cannot get connected and get an IP

Please suggest,

Thanks

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@gennadiv

@gennadiv wrote:

Hi All,

Is there any way to get enrolled to beta program with Coda-4582 and get installed 2.0.10.27? I have an issue with Guest WiFi plus some of my wireless IP cameras cannot get connected and get an IP

Please suggest,

Thanks

Send a PM to @CommunityHelps with teh subject: CODA Firmware Trial

include your account number, modem MAC address, and modem serial number, the last two can be found by logging into the modem.