CODA-4582 - Open Issues for Investigation

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RyzenFX
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Re: CODA-4582 - Open Issues for Investigation

@KyleW1988 The public won't be getting firmware .27 on Monday, only the rest of the participants in the firmware trial will be getting it if all goes well Smiley Happy

kibosh
I Plan to Stick Around

On .27 I am finding the latency seems way lower according to pingplotter . . . especially to google.ca on ipv6 (last time I checked it was horrible).  I also notice that on the speed test on DSLreports that my upload speed doesnt fluctuate wildly like it used to, once it gets up to 22 Mbps it says around there without any bufferbloat . . . not sure how this translates to real world use but it definately behaves differently.

RyzenFX
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Hi community I have some feedback on .27 that I'm sure many of you gamers will be happy to hear,

I have been doing some testing on firmware .27 and I'm happy to say that the bufferbloat performance on this firmware has SIGNIFICANTLY improved Smiley Happy This means that the responsivess of the  gameplay in multiplayer games has significantly improved as well. 

Bufferbloat is the undesirable latency that occurs when too much data is being buffered, and in previous firmwares (.26T2) and below, the problem was present because the transmission, queuing, and sequencing of uplink packets was not properly optimized. This is why some of us noticed how the gameplay in multiplayer matches was not responsive as seen in the CGN modems. 

From my testing on League of Legends (a latency sensitive game), I immediately noticed how more responsive it was in comparison to .26T2. I also noticed that my ping went down my 10-15ms (from 45ms to 25-29ms). 

This improvement in responsivenes and ping also transferred to Battlefield 1. I would expect this improvement to help with any other game aswell. 

Firmware .27 has significantly imrpoved the bufferbloat, and I can't wait for you guys to try it out. For those gamers in here, please let me know what a difference this firmware makes. 

JohnBeaudin
I'm a Senior Contributor

@RyzenFX @RogersDave

Firmware .27

The firmware is very solid for gaming, var 0.010 to 0.020ms.

The difference is not that huge for me because my node is not congested.

Overall I can feel the ping is more stable and even when my network is on heavy load my ping will not fluctuate or spike.

There is no reduction in ping for me, ping is the same as .26T2, however I am in N-B, I am almost certain people from Ontario will mostly see the same ping reduction that RyzenFX noticed. Here in NB we have a different issue with the routing, basically the routing is killing us, but that's someting Dave is already aware and plan to fix when he's less busy with all these firmwares fix.

Anyhow that's a huge step in the right direction, and I am sure gamers, especially from Ontario will love it!

4kgigabitguy
Rogers Employee
Rogers Employee

@RyzenFX wrote:

Hi community I have some feedback on .27 that I'm sure many of you gamers will be happy to hear,

I have been doing some testing on firmware .27 and I'm happy to say that the bufferbloat performance on this firmware has SIGNIFICANTLY improved Smiley Happy This means that the responsivess of the  gameplay in multiplayer games has significantly improved as well. 

Bufferbloat is the undesirable latency that occurs when too much data is being buffered, and in previous firmwares (.26T2) and below, the problem was present because the transmission, queuing, and sequencing of uplink packets was not properly optimized. This is why some of us noticed how the gameplay in multiplayer matches was not responsive as seen in the CGN modems. 

From my testing on League of Legends (a latency sensitive game), I immediately noticed how more responsive it was in comparison to .26T2. I also noticed that my ping went down my 10-15ms (from 45ms to 25-29ms). 

This improvement in responsivenes and ping also transferred to Battlefield 1. I would expect this improvement to help with any other game aswell. 

Firmware .27 has significantly imrpoved the bufferbloat, and I can't wait for you guys to try it out. For those gamers in here, please let me know what a difference this firmware makes. 

Thanks for sharing @RyzenFX @JohnBeaudin Happy to hear about the improvements with your gaming experience. 

I have noticed a reduction in ping with .27 already as well. Ping as low as 22ms on League of Legends. See below for the game I just played. I am in Ontario & tested CSGO as well, have noticed a drop in ping. 

Logs of Lag

Saturday 2017-04-22 15:12
an hour ago
Your network was good
0.1 packets lost/min
4 packets lost total
22 best ping
24 median ping
5970 bytes/s in
1071 bytes/s out
57 minutes
KyleW1988
I Plan to Stick Around

Has any noticed any improvements with .27 in regards to actually being able to connect to someone in P2P games like NHL?
4kgigabitguy
Rogers Employee
Rogers Employee

KyleW1988 wrote:
Has any noticed any improvements with .27 in regards to actually being able to connect to someone in P2P games like NHL?

.27 will provide an option to disable to IPV6 and use IPV4 only. When only using IPV4 was I was able to find matches on FIFA 17 for Xbox One. With the dual stack option on, I was still unable to locate matches. Over the last month the game I have been playing on Xbox one has been Madden 17. What's also odd is that I havent had any matching making issues with that game and if I recall correctly I probably played madden 2-3 weeks ago. Didn't play today yet just tested Fifa with IPv6 off.

4kgigabitguy
Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

To me, that indicates that there is a problem with the Microsoft servers, or game match system when the XBox is using IPV6, although, you can't rule out possible modem issues.  Is the modem not doing something that it should be doing when IPV6 is in use when it comes to running an XBox?  This should be a huge issue for Microsoft, especially since they push for using IPV6 at the various conferences and industry briefings where there staff give presentations on issues which include XBox IPV6 usage.  Perhaps that is an issue that @RogersDave can ping Microsoft on, not that he's not busy enough already.  Perhaps another staff member can do the honours?

Triple_Helix
I Plan to Stick Around

.27 working well here!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
4kgigabitguy
Rogers Employee
Rogers Employee

Looks likes only with some games as when I played Halo 5 & madden it was ok and IPv6 was on. Gunna test some other games and report back.