Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CODA-4582 - Open Issues for Investigation

RogersDave
Retired Support
Retired Support

*** This post was last edited May 2, 2017 ***

Good morning Community,

As I mentioned in a post two days ago, we have received the next firmware 2.0.10.20 from Hitron. We are currently running initial testing on this version and will push it out to participants in the firmware trial program as soon as it passes initial testing.

However, while running these tests, we discovered abnormal behavior with ICMP and are awaiting feedback from Hitron today to asses how this will be addressed. As soon as I this is confirmed, I’ll update the change log with the correct version information and start pushing it out.

In parallel, we are still working on the following high priority items. In some cases below, I requested affected customers to reach out to me via private message. If you do so, please include your modem MAC address in the subject line (even if we exchange messages daily) as there are a lot of you reaching out to me daily 🙂

UDP Packet Loss

The investigation for what has been reported as UDP packet loss is still ongoing. We have deployed a probe at one fellow forum member on both a CODA-4582 and a CGNM-3552 to collect additional data. We are actively working with Hitron and Intel on the results observed.

Based on what we know so far, in most instances UDP packet loss is coupled with higher uplink usage in the area. Although the impact is noticeable in specific logs (League of Legends), the root cause for the perceivable impact (while playing) is likely related to bufferbloat (see next issue).

Bufferbloat

When comparing the performance of a CODA-4582 to a CGNM-3552 in the same network conditions, the CODA-4582 consistently reports higher bufferbloat when tested on DSLReports.

Update April 12: The solution for this problem will come in two folds. It will require a change in software which will possibly be included in 2.0.10.27 but more likely in 2.0.10.28 and a change in network configuration.

The network configuration change is not compatible with the current firmware so this change will only come after a vast majority of the modems are running the new code. We are however looking at a way to make the change only for specific modems to support testing in the community.

Update April 22: This problem seems resolved in firmware 2.0.10.27

5 GHz WiFi Low range for channels 36 to 48

Lower WiFi channels on the modem have a much smaller range. This is due in part to the limit imposed by Industry Canada to maximum transmit power.

Furthermore, the current automatic channel selection (auto mode) tends to select the lower channels when in similar load conditions.

Workaround: manually select higher channels (149-153-157-161)

Update April 22: The channel selection algorithm has been improved in firmware 2.0.10.27

Loss of OFDM Channel Lock

Under some RF conditions, the modem fails to lock properly on the OFDM channel. This typically result in variable performance.

Update April 12: This problem is resolved in 2.0.10.26T2

List of connected device does not get fully populated

This is a known issue that has been tracked since firmware 2.0.10.13. We are making improvements at every firmware but it is not a perfect system.

The situation is worst after a reboot or firmware upgrade as the list gets reset and must be repopulated as devices renew their DHCP lease.

NAT Loopback not working for wired clients

When setting up port forwarding to an internal server, it is possible for a client on WiFi to reach the server using the external IP/port. If the client is on a wired interface, it doesn't work.

Update April 12: This problem is resolved in 2.0.10.26T2 (not confirmed)

LAN Counters not working

Some customers reported that LAN counters (especially in bridge mode) are reporting inaccurate values.

This problem has been reported to Hitron for investigation.

Unexpected modem reboot

Some customers reported their modem reboots unexpectedly. We have also seen this behavior in our lab.

Update April 12: This problem is resolved in 2.0.10.26T2

Missing SC-QAM Channels

After a reboot, some modems are missing SC-QAM channels. A fix has been implemented in 2.0.10.26T2 to address this behavior but it has not corrected all scenarios.

Investigation continues with Hitron.

WiFi Survey

The WiFi Survey functionality in firmware 2.0.10.26T2 (and possibly before) reports incorrect SSID names.

Guest Network

When connecting to the Guest Network, an error message is displayed "only allow DHCP client to use this wireless".  This has been reported in firmware 2.0.10.26T2.

Update April 22: This issue has been resolved in firmware 2.0.10.27

Update May 2: It seems this issue is not fully resolved and still experienced by some users

Future Planned Improvements

The following are items that we are working on in parallel of the above.

• Improvement in WiFi speeds
  • Improvement in latency / bufferbloat

Dave

*Edited Labels*

2,620 REPLIES 2,620

Re: CODA-4582 - Open Issues for Investigation

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

As indicated in the following link:

If you are interested in participating, please send a private message to @CommunityHelps with the subject line “Rogers Rocket Wi-Fi Modem Firmware Trial”.  A member of our team will be in contact with you and provide you with further instructions.

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/Getting_connected/thread-id/3315...

Follow this link to the @CommunityHelps public page.  On the right is another link to "Send this user a private message".  Follow that link to the message composition page.  Its already addressed.  Add in the title Rogers Rocket Wi-Fi Modem Firmware Trial.

In the text of the message, include your modems MAC address and serial number which can be found on the modem's STATUS page when you log into the modem.  When done, hit SEND.

Watch for a number overlaid on your avatar in the upper right hand corner when you are logged into the forum.  That will indicate a message is waiting for you in the message inbox.  Click on the avatar of follow the procedding links to the inbox to acknowledge the required waiver.  

roy86
I plan to stick around

hey @toolcubed i followed the instructions of @Datalink in the previous posts by plugging the modems coax line into the VOIP port and am finding much better reliability of the modem in bridge mode. 

I am also getting all 32 channels now, before was missing a few. Would reccomend people having amplifiers to plug it into the VOIP modem if they can.

toolcubed
I'm a senior contributor

Good to know.  Unfortunately I can't plug my CODA into the VoIP port since that port is being taken up by my home phone.  I guess I could split the cable coming into the house on a 2-way splitter - one port going to the CODA and the other port going into the Antronix amp for my home phone and TVs.  But I haven't really had any issues with my Internet except for some packet loss (with IPv6 only) and the occassional ping spike & slow speed during peak hours from time to time.

QueJoder
I plan to stick around

What do any of you think of these details about the CODA 4582 modem?

Are these modem failures? If that is the case what would that indicate. How to fix them to prevent future repetition?

DOCSIS Logs

The DOCSIS event logs is shown here

Log was removed for privacy reasons - RogersMoin

Telek
I plan to stick around

@ololo wrote:

Some of my device get wrong IP address from the modem, that cause my device can not using internet, the ip like 169.254.20.189. Some device is working fine, IP address like 192.168.0.X.

So 169.254 is IPV4's autoconfiguration. What it means is that it asked for a DHCP address and nobody responded, so it randomly assigns you an address in the 169.254.x.x range.

I'm not sure if the modem refuses to give out a local IP address if it does not have an external network connection.  If so, then your external connection could be the problem.  This would be strange though, as it should always hand out local IP addresses.

I have suspected for a while, based on other people's complaints, that the built in DHCP server in the modem is flaky. 

Easiest way to fix it is to just assign your IP addresses yourself (at least on your critical nodes), or run your own DHCP server.

RyzenFX
I'm a reliable contributor

@QueJoder If you ever do notice DHCP RENEW WARNING or MIMO Event MIMO, these are just normal tasks the modem carries out so you don't need to worry about this. The only thing I would worry about is if I see excessive amounts of No Ranging Response received - T3. For instance, if you saw 4-10 all under 1 date then that would be an obvious sign that something is wrong.

From the looks of everything, it looks good. If I were you I wouldn't need to worry about anything. Smiley Happy

QueJoder
I plan to stick around
Thank you RyzenFX

JohnBeaudin
I'm a senior contributor

''Progress''

QueJoder
I plan to stick around

I do not understand what info in there is "private"? no IP numbers or names were exposed. Please illuminate me for future posts

Double_K
I'm a reliable contributor

@Queoder wrote:

I do not understand what info in there is "private"? no IP numbers or names were exposed. Please illuminate me for future posts

@QueJoder, more than likely it was the MAC addresses of your modem & your CMTS, which forms part of the hostname for your router.

Hostname: CPEroutermac-CMcmmac.cpe.net.cable.rogers.com

Here's mine (notice how I change the last 3 octets to xx:yy:zz for privacy)

No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=a8:4e:3f:xx:yy:zz;CMTS-MAC=00:17:10:xx:yy:zz;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;

The first 3 octets represent the manufacturer (so it's the same for lots of people), the last 3 represent the individual device.

Thus, when posting your logs in the future, either remove the last 3 octets of the MAC address, or change them to non-standard hex characters (from g to z).  If posting a picture, block out those parts of the address in your local paint program, then save & upload.

NBomb
I plan to stick around

So, when is .26 supposed to be going live to everyone? AFAIK I'm not on it yet, but everyone seems happy with it.

belowme
I plan to stick around

Can someone post and pin a TL;DR on the issues and fix from this thread, I don't have time to go through 168+ pages of discussions.

Since the time change, my devices have been loosing connection to the internet either partially or completely.  In the morning, some devices can't browse the internet, while others can only access YoutTube, but not Netflix for example.  ALL devices are connected through wifi or hardwire though to the CODA modem.

I've gone through each device that connects to the internet and found a few that had an incorrect date and fixed them hopeing those were the issue, but it didn't fix the problem.

Tonight when I go home and connect to the modem with my phone, it'll connect to my wifi (either 2.4 or 5G) but won't be able to browse on my browser, yet still receive emails using the email app.  When browsing I'll get the DNS_Connection issue or ERR_NETWORK_Timeout... 

A reboot of the coda and everything works fine again for a few hours until I notice something else not doing what it should be able to do.

I'm on my 4th CODA in the past 2 weeks.  2 Techs came and confirmed wires are all fine coming into the house to the modem.  Techs also confirmed the area was working properly too.

@RogersDave@Datalink  Any thoughts?  I'm on the last string before jumping ship.

@NBomb wrote:

So, when is .26 supposed to be going live to everyone? AFAIK I'm not on it yet, but everyone seems happy with it.

Firmware 2.0.10.26T1 and 2.0.10.26T2 have been quite successful but they are interim test builds that will likely not be distributed outside of the trial program.

We are currently working on firmware 2.0.10.27 which additional performance improvements. That firmware should be available for general release after completing our internal validation and testing with the community. Before someone asks, I do not have the date or release notes yet but I expect this firmware in the next 2 weeks.

Dave

JohnBeaudin
I'm a senior contributor

@RogersDave

That's great, I assume teh additional performance improvements are going to help with gaming (latency/packet loss on upstream).

Firmware will be ready in 2 weeks, but do you know when trial participants will be able to beta test .27? I can't wait to give that a shot.

belowme
I plan to stick around

@RogersDave

I really hope this fixes the issues.  Since the time change my devices would lose the ability to access the web either partially or all together.  All of my devices will connect to the CODA properly either via wifi or ethernet, but some of them won't be able to access the web at all; others are able to access youtube but not netflix for example.

My phone will connect to either 2.4 or 5g wifi connections no problem, but won't be able to browse to any website, getting the DNS NETWORK or ERR NETWORK errors.  Although using apps to access content works.

Other devices will have no access at all.

The only fix is a reboot of the modem.  

I'm on the 4th modem in 2 weeks, with the latest one being on the "latest version" of firmware.  I've also had 2 techs come to the house to only confirm that things are working then and there, but by the end of the day some devices are rendered useless.

I've found a few devices on my network with an incorrect date, but fixed them hoping this would solve the issues... it didn't.

I'm tired of rebooting my modem at least once a day.

NBomb
I plan to stick around

@RogersDave wrote:

@NBomb wrote:

Firmware 2.0.10.26T1 and 2.0.10.26T2 have been quite successful but they are interim test builds that will likely not be distributed outside of the trial program.

We are currently working on firmware 2.0.10.27 which additional performance improvements. That firmware should be available for general release after completing our internal validation and testing with the community. Before someone asks, I do not have the date or release notes yet but I expect this firmware in the next 2 weeks.

Dave

Woo! Great news, thanks!

belowme
I plan to stick around

I'm getting a bunch of these errors.

No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=64:77:7d:ff:ff:ff;CMTS-;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;

B-INIT-RNG Failure - Retries exceeded;.......

Lost MDD Timeout;CM-MAC.......

Where the MAC Address is the same as the CODA box.

Obviously this isn't normal.

Telek
I plan to stick around

What are your signal levels like?

gp-se
I'm an advisor

log in to the modem and go to "DOCSIS WAN" post the signal levels here please. Also go to the DNS settings page on the modem and set it to manual, then enter these values:

DNS 1: 8.8.8.8

DNS 2: 8.8.4.4

belowme
I plan to stick around

Downstream Overview
Port ID Frequency (MHz) Modulation Signal strength (dBmV) Channel ID Signal noise ratio (dB)
1 657000000 256QAM -2.900 17 38.605
2 561000000 256QAM -0.600 2 40.366
3 567000000 256QAM -1.000 3 38.983
4 573000000 256QAM -1.400 4 40.366
5 579000000 256QAM -1.700 5 40.366
6 585000000 256QAM -1.300 6 40.366
7 591000000 256QAM -1.500 7 38.983
8 597000000 256QAM -2.100 8 40.366

OFDM Downstream Overview
Receiver FFT type Subcarr 0 Frequency(MHz) PLC locked NCP locked MDC1 locked PLC power(dBmv)
0 NA NA NO NO NO NA
1 4K 275600000 YES YES YES -1.000000
Upstream Overview
Port ID Frequency (MHz) Modulation Signal strength (dBmV) Channel ID Bandwidth
1 30596000 ATDMA - 64QAM 34.000 1 6400000
2 38595629 ATDMA - 64QAM 36.000 3 3200000
3 23700000 ATDMA - 64QAM 32.250 2 6400000
OFDM/OFDMA Overview
Channel Index State lin Digital Att Digital Att BW (sc's*fft) Report Power Report Power1_6 FFT Size
0 DISABLED 0.5000 0.0000 0.0000 -inf -1.0000 4K
1 DISABLED 0.5000 0.0000 0.0000 -inf -1.0000 4K

DNS Settings were changed to the Manual IPs you provided.  Once the change was applied I couldn't browse the web anymore and instead on my browser got: DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN

Same error when I'm experiencing the issue on a regular basis.

Had to remove the DNS settings and reboot the modem in order to browse again properly.

@belowme you're missing the DOCSIS 3.0 Downstream channels from 9 to 32.  Are  you running an original CODA-4582 or one that has a single or double black dot (round black sticker) near the power cord of the modem?  In either case, the missing channels would suggest severe cable signal issues.  Two things need to happen.  

1.  If you have an original CODA-4582, you should swap that for one that has a single or double black sticker which indicates that there is additional shielding above the DOCSIS cable tuner.  That is designed to prevent 2.4 Ghz wifi interference with the DOCSIS tuner which results in missing cable channels.

2.  Call tech support and ask the CSR to run a signal check on the modem.  With your current DOCSIS 3.0 channels, that should fail automatically, leading to a tech visit at your convenience.  When all is said and done, can you repost the signal levels, just to see how they turned out.