CODA-4582 - Open Issues for Investigation

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: CODA-4582 - Open Issues for Investigation

My latency has never been consistently this good, even on speed tests on dsl reports, I also notice speed tests dont cause my ping to go higher then 500ms and no longer drops packets while speed testing in my plot.

Heres to fingers crossed that i dont get the traditional boot from party chat 900 times a night  while on ARK tonight.

I'm a Reliable Contributor

For some reason ARK is the game where I get the lowest ping and by far out of any games I play.. I can get as low as 29 ping.

Dota2: 65 ms

CSGO: 70-75 MS

Overwatch: 45-50 ms

ARK: 29-31 ms

all on US-East servers..

I'm a Regular

@tonytoronto so i picked up the  CGNM-3552 modem and me and brother both played online using the xbox one, and so far so good game feels more responsive and alot less laggy now dont know why but could be the UDP like you said Thanks @tonytoronto was having bad experience and very frustrated when on the coda modem.

hopefully @rogersdave can rollout a udp fix for the coda modem because its  useless for gamers and there are a lot of us out there.

@lethalsniper

if the CGNM-3552 fixed ur latency issue while playing online games, it means that it was not caused by the congestion in the uplink. You should ask @RogersDave to check your stats now VS the one he had while you were on CODA, this might lead us to find a fix for the CODA.

I'm a Regular

i think its caused by both   but so far so good when they fix the congestion issue in my area then i can really tell whats causing poor online but  like i said so far so good

I Plan to Stick Around

@JohnBeaudin wrote:

@MegnaGaming

I think your logs from Twitch could help @RogersDave to reproduce the UDP issue so he could work a firmware fix.

Absolutely - @RogersDave just let me know any and all information you need and I can send it to you in a DM! I can run tests, etc. Would love to get to the bottom of this ASAP so willing to put in some grunt-work.

I Plan to Stick Around

@JohnBeaudin wrote:

For some reason ARK is the game where I get the lowest ping and by far out of any games I play.. I can get as low as 29 ping.

Dota2: 65 ms

CSGO: 70-75 MS

Overwatch: 45-50 ms

ARK: 29-31 ms

all on US-East servers..

I'm about to see if my ping is better i typically get 55-75 to my Private server.  Its the being booted from party chat that was killing me. it would happen all night multiple times, and that was due to latency, parties drop like flies when they get a few seconds of latency/dropped packets, and (possibly UDP?) 

For anybody who is able to do this on their CODA-4582 and has 10 or more devices connected to the modem and is affected by the UDP packet loss issue:

1. Try testing for the issue when you have 10 or more devices connected to it. 

2. Try testing for the issue when you have only 1 device connected to it.

If you can, please post the results of both tests including ping, packet loss, and state responsiveness of the game. I'm on to something and this should give me a good idea what's happening.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Here is some food for thought on this.  For anyone running a pc based game, download and install Wireshark. Then, when you are in a game fire up Wireshark and run a short data capture while you're in game, actually doing some activity within the game.  The more activity on your part while engaging another external party, the better.  The goal is to cause/generate UDP packet transfer in both directions.  You probably only need somewhere between 2 to 5 min to capture enough data. Then stop the capture and save the file.  You don't want to run long captures just yet as the file size can grow pretty fast.  I'm sure there is a way to filter data and save that to a file but I havent' looked at Wireshark closely enough to determine exactly how to do that.  I would suggest starting with small files for now and work our way up if necessary.  

You don't necessarily have to be a Wireshark guru to read the data, although, it does help, and I'm not a Wireshark guru by any means.  But, you should be able to identify inbound and outbound UDP packets from the display and determine if any of the inbound packets indicate packet corruption, fragmentation or anything else.  

You could do a screen capture and send that to Dave via pm as it will contain your IP address and various IP addresses that your pc is communicating with.  Possibly Dave will request the file via pm, don't know at this point.

It would be interesting to see what turns up on the data capture.   

https://www.wireshark.org/

Edit:  Don't post a Wireshark screen capture to this or any other public forum due to the type and amount of IP addresses contained in the capture.  Or, in other words, for your own online security, keep your own data secure. 

I Plan to Stick Around

You welcome.

Kids are finally happy and wife too, no more complaning about internet not working.

I like using my ipad while in the threadmill, usually watching Netflix or from somethig on the server, with CODA was getting disconnects 2-3 times every hour, so freaking annoying, plus trying to "fix" while walking was pain in the b***.  no more disconnects with 3552.

Spent little time last night checking pings and such, to some servers might have gone up couple ms, but nothing that will make diference surfing or playing games. Theres couple little things with this modem too, but no biggie, all things i can leave with for now.

@lethalsniper wrote:

@tonytoronto@ so i picked up the  CGNM-3552 modem and me and brother both played online using the xbox one, and so far so good game feels more responsive and alot less laggy now dont know why but could be the UDP like you said Thanks @tonytoronto was having bad experience and very frustrated when on the coda modem.

@hopefully @RogersDave can rollout a udp fix for the coda modem because its  useless for gamers and there are a lot of us out there.