CODA-4582 - Open Issues for Investigation

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: CODA-4582 - Open Issues for Investigation

@Datalink @RyzenFX

Regarding the packet loss - during my livestream broadcast tonight I had over 100K dropped frames (the most I've ever experienced) and lots of packet loss (the obvious cause).

https://i.gyazo.com/be9c03109d46ab91fa8be71d65d7df06.png

I'm not sure what to do about this but .24 definitely seems to hate me streaming content a lot more than .19 did.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

@Telek wrote:

Have you tried on multiple devices? Are you plugged directly into the modem in gateway mode? Have you swapped out the modem before?

I have! Most of these things definitely would have been checked by the senior tech that was out at the house many times as well. Thanks for the suggestion though!

@Jeffj I'm worried you're right about the infastructure but I find it odd that even the senior techs haven't been able to track down what's up. Also seems odd that it's fixed with a high enough upload rate via ethernet but still presents itself via wifi.

Highlighted
I'm a Reliable Contributor

@Datalink

I'm highly confident that the Puma 7 is affected by UDP latency from what you said based in your last paragraph.

That is exactly what I've observed with League OF Legends on BOTH the Puma 6 and PUMA 7.

I've been monitoring this closely with the Puma 7, and the UDP latency is fine during the day, however during peak hours, the UDP latency becomes much worse, and during midnight, the packet loss goes down to its normal levels.

From the results from the first engineering code with the Puma 6, there's a lot of room for improvement with the Puma 7.

So basically, UDP latency exists on the Puma 7. This needs to be opened w/ Intel ASAP.

I'll be able to post examples of UDP latency thru league if legends this afternoon.

Datalink, do you think I have a credible lead here?
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

@MegnaGaming wrote:

@Telek wrote:

Have you tried on multiple devices? Are you plugged directly into the modem in gateway mode? Have you swapped out the modem before?

I have! Most of these things definitely would have been checked by the senior tech that was out at the house many times as well. Thanks for the suggestion though!

@Jeffj I'm worried you're right about the infastructure but I find it odd that even the senior techs haven't been able to track down what's up. Also seems odd that it's fixed with a high enough upload rate via ethernet but still presents itself via wifi.

the 2.4GHz band is so over saturated, I can say with confidence you will always see issues streaming on it, let alone wifi. I'm inclined to say that ur issue is localized to your hardware.  Wireless works off first in first out concept. So if you're streamign on it and another device makes a data transaction your packets will have to wait while the transaction that occoured before some of your packets gets handled. 

If streaming on wired yeilds proper results then you have answered your own question right there. 

Wireless iss extreemly susceptible to interference, and packet loss, causing retransmits. Also one thing people dont know is that wireless access point is a dumb hub One talks and everyone has to stop, listen, waits for their turn to talk, so any transactions on your network your streaming device has to go, "wait, is this for me, no ok. wait i need to talk, ok its my turn? go?, ok is this my response? ok good."

If you have a monitored switch (most dont) or you use wireshark to packet sniff your wireless network, i think you will find something on your network is doign something during those lag spikes, or that the wireless is retransmitting the same packets due to loss on those lag spikes.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

@Jeffj wrote:
Wireless iss extreemly susceptible to interference, and packet loss, causing retransmits. Also one thing people dont know is that wireless access point is a dumb hub One talks and everyone has to stop, listen, waits for their turn to talk, so any transactions on your network your streaming device has to go, "wait, is this for me, no ok. wait i need to talk, ok its my turn? go?, ok is this my response? ok good."

Also don't forget that wifi also has to operate at the lowest level based on all devices connected.

Yeah, 2.4GHz (unless you're in an isolated area) should really only be used for low-bandwidth things. Even the stupid 5GHz networks are saturated now in busy areas because of our stupid limitations on channels that we can use.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

@Telek @Jeffj

@Telek wrote:

@Jeffj wrote:

Also don't forget that wifi also has to operate at the lowest level based on all devices connected.

Yeah, 2.4GHz (unless you're in an isolated area) should really only be used for low-bandwidth things. Even the stupid 5GHz networks are saturated now in busy areas because of our stupid limitations on channels that we can use.

You guys misunderstood - my fault for lumping two issues together!

I would never stream wirelessly as that would be insane. The ridiculous packet loss is happening on a wired connection and was not anywhere near this bad when on .19

You can see the packet loss as an example here: https://i.gyazo.com/be9c03109d46ab91fa8be71d65d7df06.png

The issue I'm seeing wirelessly is the following latency spikes while pinging google: 
https://i.gyazo.com/9932f1e48b0e2fc51a37cf5e0c8ae736.png

The latency spikes was also happening while wired when on the 100/10 plan. I had thought the problem was fixed by the plan change but it seems WiFi is reproducing that problem. This shows up on 2.4, 5 and from multiple devices.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Yup, 3.1 activated in Thornhill at around the same time. 

I'm interested in seeing how this holds up in peak hours. I'm hoping this will fix the crazy congestion I've been experiencing over the last 2 years.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Last night came and went,. my white CODA 4582 one black dot is now supportiung the .24 production version.. Additionally i did a reboot for good measure

i am told by Rogers Tech Support that i am on Docsis 3.1 in Toronto West End> My speeds today have not been upgraded. Running between 500/600 download and have degraded to less than 15 Mbts upload.

Nothing in here has changed for the better. What am i to expect now? My system structure has seen before and with previous modems a couple of 930ish download and high 30's upload speedtest .net readings. therefore my hardware here is capable of those speeds.

What would RogersDave do if he was in my shoes knowing what he knows abnout the status of this issue?

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Just wanted to update - last evening I got the .24 firmware upgrade - it's now been 25+ hours and haven't had to reboot the modem.  Internet connectivity has been solid, speed is very good.  On a direct ethernet connection to modem it's on average 905/43, download/upload.

(Knocking on wood while trying to type, so excuse any typos) ...

🙂

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Packet Loss and excessive Ping times

-----------------------------------------------

CODA-4582 Modem in Bridge Mode. -  Commercial Router and computers hardwired

Hardware Version            1A

Software Version             2.0.10.24

Gateway Serial Number 25116A0xxxxx

HFC MAC Address            xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:70xx

System Time                      Sat, 25 Feb 2017 13:35:41

Private LAN IP Address  192.168.100.1/24

LAN Receiving                    159.88M Bytes

LAN Sending                       438 Bytes

LAN Up Time                      000 days 11h:11m:14s

I have ran PingPlotter over night and I can see a consistent / repeatable error

Click on Link to right  -   https://share.pingplotter.com/cxXcWBwez9k

Its during this 8 to 10 sec time frame when Pings go to over 2400ms  - See Link -> https://share.pingplotter.com/JKMsA4AR3ej

This happends 7 x 24 since I replaced my modem.