CODA-4582 - Open Issues for Investigation

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: CODA-4582 - Open Issues for Investigation

My internet connection just died on me about half an hour ago. I contacted Rogers and they told me that it was a whole quadrant that was out.  It's back up now, but it seems my Docsys 3.1 light is no longer light blue, and is now showing just a D3.0 connection.  

What gives?  did they  disable D3.1 tonight or something?

I'm a Reliable Contributor

@gp-se wrote:

I Wish Rogers would give us this:

http://www.technicolor.com/en/solutions-services/connected-home/broadband-devices/cable-modems-gatew...

It uses a Broadcom Chipset. 

@gp-se - source? 

I'm a Regular

getting packet loos on hop 2 and why am i getting mx of 31ms when pinging my modem use to be at 1ms for max @RogersDave 

Ping statistics for 192.168.0.1:
Packets: Sent = 500, Received = 500, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 31ms, Average = 1ms

easo.ea.com.png

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@lethalsniper if you're going to inquire about hop #1, then perhaps you could show the plot for hop #1 instead of the final hop #18.  At the present time I can't fathom why your average time to the modem is 1.2 ms.  I see 0.6 ms or less as an average and I've run enough ping tests to the modem to consider that as being accurate. Perhaps you need to start looking at your own equipment  to determine what the problem is in this regard.  As for the 5 ms max time, perhaps something on your pc fired up and called home when the ping test was running. That would push up the time for one or two pings.  Its very difficult to run a clean ping test these days due to all of the applications that are running on a pc, calling home on a regular looking for updates.  As an example, and I've said this to you before, Microsoft also uses its own ping test to establish whether or not the pc has internet connectivity and present that fact in the form of the icon that you see in the task bar.  Perhaps that was responsible for that 5 ms ping.  Without running a ping application such as Hrping that logs the time and ping response, and examining a log from Wireshark to correlate the event, asking an open ended question of "why is my ping time so high (at 5 ms which is nothing)" is basically useless.  Nobody could begin to guess the cause of what might have been a singular one second event displayed in a 10 min timeframe.  You're going to have to present more information, and perhaps, in the course of doing that, you might just answer your own question.  

I'm a Regular

Ping statistics for 192.168.0.1:
Packets: Sent = 500, Received = 500, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 31ms, Average = 1ms

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Is that 31 ms time the very first ping, which is not abnormal as its the very first ping, or somewhere in the middle which indicates an application issue?  The number alone doesn't mean anything. 

I'm a Regular

its all over i,m getting pings of 7,9,20,12,max 31, no there is no programs working when pinging router and a plus side i would ping the tp-link router when i had thecoda on bridge mode and ran the same test as now with max being 1ms

I Plan to Stick Around

Don't be concerned with jitter when you ping the IP gateway. Just remember that the router's function is to forward packets, not to respond to them. The process to respond to ping requests is low priority for the router so you may see lots of variances in ping response times. If you are getting lots of drops or response time is varying by 100s of ms, then that is cause for concern.

I've worked with Cisco Nexus 7000 switches which can respond to a ping at 10 ms from the PC on the local LAN, yet pinging a the server one hop away is sub 1 ms.  But once again the process on the Cisco switch to respond was not on the main bus and was treated as low priority. 

The ultimate test using ping is always the end node. That ea.com service has avg 80 ms response and no drops, which looks good. If that is the server you are establishing IP session with,  then that is the result you should be monitoring.   

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

There are always programs running in the background.  Windows 10 is by far the worst version of Windows for that as far as I'm concerned.  In order to ping the modem, you would have to disconnect the router, run the modem in gateway mode and then ping 192.168.0.1.  Are those times from a direct connection to the modem with the modem in Gateway mode, or are they with the router connected to the modem, running the test to 192.168.0.1 which pings the router instead of the modem?

Highlighted
I'm a Reliable Contributor

At first I had hopes to fix the latency issue on the CGN3 series.. 6 months later I had hope with a new modem CODA 4582.. and now that what's next?

The new modem  that won't have a PUMA chipset, ( Mid 2017) 

I wonder if Rogers will stay silent until then, would be nice to have some updates.