Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CODA-4582 - Open Issues for Investigation

RogersDave
Retired Support
Retired Support

*** This post was last edited May 2, 2017 ***

Good morning Community,

As I mentioned in a post two days ago, we have received the next firmware 2.0.10.20 from Hitron. We are currently running initial testing on this version and will push it out to participants in the firmware trial program as soon as it passes initial testing.

However, while running these tests, we discovered abnormal behavior with ICMP and are awaiting feedback from Hitron today to asses how this will be addressed. As soon as I this is confirmed, I’ll update the change log with the correct version information and start pushing it out.

In parallel, we are still working on the following high priority items. In some cases below, I requested affected customers to reach out to me via private message. If you do so, please include your modem MAC address in the subject line (even if we exchange messages daily) as there are a lot of you reaching out to me daily 🙂

UDP Packet Loss

The investigation for what has been reported as UDP packet loss is still ongoing. We have deployed a probe at one fellow forum member on both a CODA-4582 and a CGNM-3552 to collect additional data. We are actively working with Hitron and Intel on the results observed.

Based on what we know so far, in most instances UDP packet loss is coupled with higher uplink usage in the area. Although the impact is noticeable in specific logs (League of Legends), the root cause for the perceivable impact (while playing) is likely related to bufferbloat (see next issue).

Bufferbloat

When comparing the performance of a CODA-4582 to a CGNM-3552 in the same network conditions, the CODA-4582 consistently reports higher bufferbloat when tested on DSLReports.

Update April 12: The solution for this problem will come in two folds. It will require a change in software which will possibly be included in 2.0.10.27 but more likely in 2.0.10.28 and a change in network configuration.

The network configuration change is not compatible with the current firmware so this change will only come after a vast majority of the modems are running the new code. We are however looking at a way to make the change only for specific modems to support testing in the community.

Update April 22: This problem seems resolved in firmware 2.0.10.27

5 GHz WiFi Low range for channels 36 to 48

Lower WiFi channels on the modem have a much smaller range. This is due in part to the limit imposed by Industry Canada to maximum transmit power.

Furthermore, the current automatic channel selection (auto mode) tends to select the lower channels when in similar load conditions.

Workaround: manually select higher channels (149-153-157-161)

Update April 22: The channel selection algorithm has been improved in firmware 2.0.10.27

Loss of OFDM Channel Lock

Under some RF conditions, the modem fails to lock properly on the OFDM channel. This typically result in variable performance.

Update April 12: This problem is resolved in 2.0.10.26T2

List of connected device does not get fully populated

This is a known issue that has been tracked since firmware 2.0.10.13. We are making improvements at every firmware but it is not a perfect system.

The situation is worst after a reboot or firmware upgrade as the list gets reset and must be repopulated as devices renew their DHCP lease.

NAT Loopback not working for wired clients

When setting up port forwarding to an internal server, it is possible for a client on WiFi to reach the server using the external IP/port. If the client is on a wired interface, it doesn't work.

Update April 12: This problem is resolved in 2.0.10.26T2 (not confirmed)

LAN Counters not working

Some customers reported that LAN counters (especially in bridge mode) are reporting inaccurate values.

This problem has been reported to Hitron for investigation.

Unexpected modem reboot

Some customers reported their modem reboots unexpectedly. We have also seen this behavior in our lab.

Update April 12: This problem is resolved in 2.0.10.26T2

Missing SC-QAM Channels

After a reboot, some modems are missing SC-QAM channels. A fix has been implemented in 2.0.10.26T2 to address this behavior but it has not corrected all scenarios.

Investigation continues with Hitron.

WiFi Survey

The WiFi Survey functionality in firmware 2.0.10.26T2 (and possibly before) reports incorrect SSID names.

Guest Network

When connecting to the Guest Network, an error message is displayed "only allow DHCP client to use this wireless".  This has been reported in firmware 2.0.10.26T2.

Update April 22: This issue has been resolved in firmware 2.0.10.27

Update May 2: It seems this issue is not fully resolved and still experienced by some users

Future Planned Improvements

The following are items that we are working on in parallel of the above.

• Improvement in WiFi speeds
  • Improvement in latency / bufferbloat

Dave

*Edited Labels*

2,620 REPLIES 2,620

Re: CODA-4582 - Open Issues for Investigation

crazyshot
I plan to stick around

RogersDave sent me a PM saying my packet loss is a cosmetic issue? HOW AM I LAGGING THEN?

prateeck7
I plan to stick around

4 days gone by after swapping for black dot modem. I am still in .13.

It's supposed to be updated to .19 within 48 hours.

Rogers, that is.

crazyshot
I plan to stick around
Same here actually.

RyzenFX
I'm a reliable contributor
My modem is acting strange. When I run a speedtest over both WiFi bands, I hear a electromagnetic noise/ whine coming from the DOCSIS tuner of the modem.

For instance, when a speed test is run on the 5G band, the whine would be a bit louder than on the 2.4 band b/c more data is being transmitted. On 5G, the whine would be much louder at 200Mbps than on 2.4 which averages 100Mbps. When a speedtest is being run, you would hear the consistency of the whine as data is being transmitted.

The noise is also synchronized with the blinking of the 2.4/5G leds.

Should I exchange the modem or are others having this problem?

soupy
I plan to stick around

I'm still experiencing signal degradation over time.  My Downstream Signal strength (dBmV) values are all well above zero after a reboot, but some are dropping below zero over time. This is with the black dot modem and after a home visit by a tech to check for internal line issues.

timfolkins
I plan to stick around
So here's a question and maybe another datapoint.

I'm .23. Gigabit service. No 3.1. Bridge mode. Black dot. I've been experiencing speed degradation over time.

For whatever reason I have always been missing channel 24. On a lark I spread the modem apart from the router as far as I could. Magically I got all 32 channels including the long lost 24. I've been relatively stable for over 24h.

Now I will have jinxed myself after having written this but 😊

Could increasing the distance make this better?

Lumute
I plan to stick around

@timfolkins wrote:
So here's a question and maybe another datapoint.

I'm .23. Gigabit service. No 3.1. Bridge mode. Black dot. I've been experiencing speed degradation over time.

For whatever reason I have always been missing channel 24. On a lark I spread the modem apart from the router as far as I could. Magically I got all 32 channels including the long lost 24. I've been relatively stable for over 24h.

Now I will have jinxed myself after having written this but 😊

Could increasing the distance make this better?

Maybe even with the extra shielding the modem part is still susceptible to interference from yur Wi-Fi router, maybe you have a high power one?

I think this whole black dot thing is a last minute piece of shield that Hitron haked into the modems, not really something properly engineered... sure it helps but I think its still better to be safe, use a separate roter and put them far appart...

@timfolkins that sounds like your Router is causing interference with the Modem. I'm curious if the random issues disapear after moving the Router away. Is this a 1st gen black dot, or 2nd gen black dot?

timfolkins
I plan to stick around
How do I tell the difference between the dotted modems?

@timfolkins How long ago did you get the black dot modem, my understanding is anything within the last two weeks should be a 2nd gen black dot modem

Hwaiting
I plan to stick around

My 1st gen CODA with no black dot has from the start been 1 cm away from my R7000 router and I've never seen any kind of missing channel interference issues.  It's weird how some modems are affected and some are not.  It's my understanding that the R7000 router does have shielding for the USB ports to lessen the interference on wifi while some other routers don't (I recall the similiar line Asus' didn't).  Do you have anything connected the USB ports of your router?

@Hwaiting wrote:

My 1st gen CODA with no black dot has from the start been 1 cm away from my R7000 router and I've never seen any kind of missing channel interference issues.  It's weird how some modems are affected and some are not.  It's my understanding that the R7000 router does have shielding for the USB ports to lessen the interference on wifi while some other routers don't (I recall the similiar line Asus' didn't).  Do you have anything connected the USB ports of your router?

Are you on D3.1?

My no black dot gateway had no obvious visible missing channel issues back when there were way more D3.0 channels to choose from, but ever since they deployed D3.1 and shut down some of the D3.0 channels, it's only gotten about 24 D3.0 channels (which doesn't seem to affect anything).

timfolkins
I plan to stick around

I got it about 1 month ago - so I would say 1st gen black dot based on your data.

toolcubed
I'm a senior contributor
I don't think there are any differences between "1st gen" and "2nd gen" dotted modems. They should be identical with the only real difference being that the latest batch has been tested by Rogers. Hardware versions, internals, etc. should be exactly the same.

RyzenFX
I'm a reliable contributor

@toolcubed You are correct. All the logical hardware is the same, the only difference is that the newer black-dot batches are tested before hitting the stores.

prateeck7
I plan to stick around

Terrible. Terrible.

Just couldn't connect to google at all this morning. I tried rebooting and all and still couldn't.

But but...I need to be patient, right? I am not in a position to be patient. Frustrating.

And, I thought this community trial program would help me get the latest beta ASAP. May be .23 will fix my problem. But it will take them 7 days at least to push the latest beta my modem.

prateeck7
I plan to stick around

So called Rogers supervisor. He was straight to the point. Blunt but honest and no lying. I like that.

He said current model modem is running into some problems, which I was expecting to hear obviously.

I asked him when they would fix the issue in these modems.

He, outright, said that they STILL haven't found the problem yet.

I am sorry folks. I don't see any lights at the end of tunnel. These issues won't get fixed any time soon.

Next stop: President's office and then Ombudsman office if things still don't work out. Hopefully, I can get out of the contract for free.

traghipp
I plan to stick around

I'm on the gigabit package with a computer connected by Cat6 ethernet cable directly into the CODA modem. 

Since swaping to the newest model CODA modem with the black dot, my speeds increased to the 400-500mbs range. Still not acceptable but much better than the sub 100mbs speeds I was getting with the first CODA modem.

Yesterday, frustrated with the wifi performance, I attempted to bridge the CODA and use a Linksys AC1600 as my main router. 

This made things worse. The wired speeds are now in the 150-170mbs range. I've tried rebooting a number of times but it doesn't resolve the issue. I called Rogers tech support and they said, of course, that everything looked normal. I was told to unplug the linksys router and plug my computer into the CODA modem's WAN port while still in bridge mode. This technician explained that this is the fastest possible connection. After doing this I was still getting download speeds in the 150-170mbs range. I rebooted and CODA and tried again and my speed increased to the 400-500mbs range. So, I tried connecting the linksys router again. Once again the speeds decreased to the 150-170mbs range.

I'm losing my mind with this gigabit package. 

Any suggestions on why this is happening?

On a side note, Time Warner in New York was sued by the state of New York for advertising and for providing false internet speeds to their clients. How long before a class action lawsuit is launched here in Ontario?

Jeffj
I plan to stick around
IF you want out of the contract, Canadian law dictates that if they are unable to provide you with the service you pay for there are no cancellation fees.

I had to use this part of contract law when I moved as my Cellular provider could not offer me consistent working service.

JohnBeaudin
I'm a senior contributor

@RogersDave

I am quite surprised, since the .23 push on my CODA.

I am getting slightly better ping in online game.

For the first time I was pinging 55ms the whole match during a match of Dota2 ( mach lasted about 1 hour). the average is usually 65-70 ms.

so Today I decided to try CSGO, and I was getting 48-52 ms in 2 differents server, on these official servers my ping used to be 64-72ms.

I am still on D3.0 , so I wonder why I have seen a small improvement, anyhow I welcome the improvement and hopefully it will get even better as soon as D3.1 hit.

looks like my mode has rebooted 3 hrs ago and now i,m missing channels 2-9 @RogersDave