Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CODA-4582 - Open Issues for Investigation

RogersDave
Retired Support
Retired Support

*** This post was last edited May 2, 2017 ***

Good morning Community,

As I mentioned in a post two days ago, we have received the next firmware 2.0.10.20 from Hitron. We are currently running initial testing on this version and will push it out to participants in the firmware trial program as soon as it passes initial testing.

However, while running these tests, we discovered abnormal behavior with ICMP and are awaiting feedback from Hitron today to asses how this will be addressed. As soon as I this is confirmed, I’ll update the change log with the correct version information and start pushing it out.

In parallel, we are still working on the following high priority items. In some cases below, I requested affected customers to reach out to me via private message. If you do so, please include your modem MAC address in the subject line (even if we exchange messages daily) as there are a lot of you reaching out to me daily 🙂

UDP Packet Loss

The investigation for what has been reported as UDP packet loss is still ongoing. We have deployed a probe at one fellow forum member on both a CODA-4582 and a CGNM-3552 to collect additional data. We are actively working with Hitron and Intel on the results observed.

Based on what we know so far, in most instances UDP packet loss is coupled with higher uplink usage in the area. Although the impact is noticeable in specific logs (League of Legends), the root cause for the perceivable impact (while playing) is likely related to bufferbloat (see next issue).

Bufferbloat

When comparing the performance of a CODA-4582 to a CGNM-3552 in the same network conditions, the CODA-4582 consistently reports higher bufferbloat when tested on DSLReports.

Update April 12: The solution for this problem will come in two folds. It will require a change in software which will possibly be included in 2.0.10.27 but more likely in 2.0.10.28 and a change in network configuration.

The network configuration change is not compatible with the current firmware so this change will only come after a vast majority of the modems are running the new code. We are however looking at a way to make the change only for specific modems to support testing in the community.

Update April 22: This problem seems resolved in firmware 2.0.10.27

5 GHz WiFi Low range for channels 36 to 48

Lower WiFi channels on the modem have a much smaller range. This is due in part to the limit imposed by Industry Canada to maximum transmit power.

Furthermore, the current automatic channel selection (auto mode) tends to select the lower channels when in similar load conditions.

Workaround: manually select higher channels (149-153-157-161)

Update April 22: The channel selection algorithm has been improved in firmware 2.0.10.27

Loss of OFDM Channel Lock

Under some RF conditions, the modem fails to lock properly on the OFDM channel. This typically result in variable performance.

Update April 12: This problem is resolved in 2.0.10.26T2

List of connected device does not get fully populated

This is a known issue that has been tracked since firmware 2.0.10.13. We are making improvements at every firmware but it is not a perfect system.

The situation is worst after a reboot or firmware upgrade as the list gets reset and must be repopulated as devices renew their DHCP lease.

NAT Loopback not working for wired clients

When setting up port forwarding to an internal server, it is possible for a client on WiFi to reach the server using the external IP/port. If the client is on a wired interface, it doesn't work.

Update April 12: This problem is resolved in 2.0.10.26T2 (not confirmed)

LAN Counters not working

Some customers reported that LAN counters (especially in bridge mode) are reporting inaccurate values.

This problem has been reported to Hitron for investigation.

Unexpected modem reboot

Some customers reported their modem reboots unexpectedly. We have also seen this behavior in our lab.

Update April 12: This problem is resolved in 2.0.10.26T2

Missing SC-QAM Channels

After a reboot, some modems are missing SC-QAM channels. A fix has been implemented in 2.0.10.26T2 to address this behavior but it has not corrected all scenarios.

Investigation continues with Hitron.

WiFi Survey

The WiFi Survey functionality in firmware 2.0.10.26T2 (and possibly before) reports incorrect SSID names.

Guest Network

When connecting to the Guest Network, an error message is displayed "only allow DHCP client to use this wireless".  This has been reported in firmware 2.0.10.26T2.

Update April 22: This issue has been resolved in firmware 2.0.10.27

Update May 2: It seems this issue is not fully resolved and still experienced by some users

Future Planned Improvements

The following are items that we are working on in parallel of the above.

• Improvement in WiFi speeds
  • Improvement in latency / bufferbloat

Dave

*Edited Labels*

2,620 REPLIES 2,620

Re: CODA-4582 - Open Issues for Investigation

timfolkins
I plan to stick around
So this is weird. After a week and a half of speeds decreasing after 6-7 hours - the last 25 hours has been... normal. No changes that I can see. Just 24 hours of what it should be.

I don't get it. Not complaining that I don't have to do a reboot every 6 hours. Just thought I'd put my experience out there.

.23 firmware. Black dot. No 3.1.

Jeffj
I plan to stick around

@Jeffj wrote:

Grabbed a black dot modem today, and cut and recrimped the RG6 coming into my flat. 

Wish me luck? lol

Welp, this did nothing for me. Woke up to 10 Mbps down and 4 up.

on .13 firmware still.

It has to be a rogers issue outside somewhere.  The RG6 is not split or anything here. it comes right through the wall from outside to my modem. Nothing in the house to be a problem. 

Alex4161
I'm a senior contributor

@Jeffj

My suggestion would be to call Rogers and ask them to check your signal levels and compare it with the levels of others in your area.  If they feel that the signal levels are out of spec or suspect, they will suggest a technician to come over and check things out.  Make a note of when you experienced the issues and when the problem is resolved afterwards as you can ask for a credit if the issue deals with a signal problem.

I would also suggest that if you have Rogers TV services that you check to see if you have any TV issues.  

Lastly, depending on what firmware you are on the CODA modem, I would turn off the 2.4 Ghz and do a factory reset on the modem.  That should help to ensure that you are getting the fastest speeds.  Prior to doing that, I would suggest you log into the modem and capture the signal levels in the current state, and then after turning off 2.4 Ghz a a factory reset.  Chances are that you might see improvements in the levels which would indicate a modem problem and not a signal issue. 

Jeffj
I plan to stick around

@Alex4161 wrote:

@Jeffj

My suggestion would be to call Rogers and ask them to check your signal levels and compare it with the levels of others in your area.  If they feel that the signal levels are out of spec or suspect, they will suggest a technician to come over and check things out.  Make a note of when you experienced the issues and when the problem is resolved afterwards as you can ask for a credit if the issue deals with a signal problem.

I would also suggest that if you have Rogers TV services that you check to see if you have any TV issues.  

Lastly, depending on what firmware you are on the CODA modem, I would turn off the 2.4 Ghz and do a factory reset on the modem.  That should help to ensure that you are getting the fastest speeds.  Prior to doing that, I would suggest you log into the modem and capture the signal levels in the current state, and then after turning off 2.4 Ghz a a factory reset.  Chances are that you might see improvements in the levels which would indicate a modem problem and not a signal issue. 

I've already spoken to rogers they see the signal issue and suggested a modem change first. 

2.4 is off i never use the gateway function on any rogers hardware, and the modem is in a seperate room from my Accesspoint. 

It's looking like an infrastructure issue outside at this point as there is nothing for a tech to replace in my house aside fro mthe line coming in, which is the outside infrastructure. 

borford
Rogers Employee
Rogers Employee

Just wanted to remind everyone of the following:

A small percentage of modems were subject to an issue that results in the 2.4 GHz Wi-Fi network having a negative impact on the overall speed.

A hardware fix was implemented.

New modems featuring the hardware enhancement to correct this issue will have a small, circular black sticker on the outer box next to the serial number/MAC information. The same black sticker is also place directly above the power connector on the back of the modem.

Make sure your modem has the hardware fix before troubleshooting speed issues.

This issue would not affect bridged modems.

Jeffj
I plan to stick around

Rogers is sending out some one to inspect their equipment on the Pole out behind my Flat today. They suspect my issues are somewhere out there so we will see. 

We did have a large ammount of rain followed by freezing temperatures, and this is about the time it started ot degrade. 

2017RScarb
I've been here awhile

This is exactly at the state I'm at, every 6-12 hours I have to reboot the modem or else my internet is completely unusuable. What's the point of this service if we're going to be stuck with speed issues and reliability of connections in the 90s? 

RyzenFX
I'm a reliable contributor

I agree with you and we haven't gotten any update on what the progress is so far with the modem. We only have @RogersDave who can communicate to us on what is being fixed with the modem. Why can't we have another person who can communicate these same fixes instead of Dave? If he's busy get somebody from the network department to update the community so don't feel like we're left behind.

JohnBeaudin
I'm a senior contributor

all we have is Dave so when he's not here we are in the complete darkness. cant' wait to see him again.

2017RScarb
I've been here awhile

I received the following reply from Dave via PM on January 27, 2017

Go ahead and reboot your modem. We have made a lot of progress this week with Hitron and Intel on this issue. Hopefully, I will have something in the form of a firmware fix

Dave mentioned a timeline that I won't post here, as I do not want to misrepresent anything he has said. Hopefully this gets dealt with soon, and Rogers should initiate some sort of compensation for this poor internet service. 

Just to point out to everyone, there is no obligation on the part of any Rogers staff, beyond the moderators, to be present in the forum.  Dave's presence here is an absolute benefit to all of the internet users here in the forum, but, please don't take that for granted.  As much as it helps us, It also provides a conduit for him to gather information regarding modem and network performance issues that would otherwise take weeks or possibly months to gather.  The downside is the time that it takes from his primary responsibilities within the Network Engineering staff as he voluntarily assists users in the forum.  If you look around other forums you will see that the only staff on the forum are the moderators, so, we're fortunate to have Dave assisting us in more ways that we know of, but, please do not be demanding of his time.  When he can find the time to break away from his primary duties, he'll get back to us.

Jabb
I've been here awhile

Yes absolutely - I'm going to give them a call...can't believe this service was brought ot market without appropriate testing. I've never had issues until going gigabit and it's been relentless since I moved to gigabit.

JohnBeaudin
I'm a senior contributor

I agree that Dave is a blessing, but Rogers should hire another person and make him a focus to work with us on the forums with beta testing, at least until their current product is decent.

Right now there's a lot of issues/bugs that needs to be sorted out, so once their product is final , it won't be necessary, but until then we as users want to have a '' final product''  a product that work well.

Dave has no obligation and I cannot thank him enough, Rogers owe him a lot, he give us hopes, hopes that we never had before he came here.

gp-se
I'm an advisor

@Jeffj

So another modem and different firmware versions, but the same issue. This points to something on Rogers side that is causing your problem. Also keep in mind Rogers is launching DOCSIS 3.1 on the network, this also could be causing issues. 

Jeffj
I plan to stick around

@gp-se wrote:

@Jeffj

So another modem and different firmware versions, but the same issue. This points to something on Rogers side that is causing your problem. Also keep in mind Rogers is launching DOCSIS 3.1 on the network, this also could be causing issues. 

This is correct, I have been keeping a journal of when the speeds bomb out and presented the rogers support with the corralation that every time it rains here and freezes over night i wake up to no internet.

they agreegd its their problem and have set a ticket for some one to inspect the tap on the pole out back of my flat.  

I thought it was the .23 firmware but after i went back and checked the weather from the time my issues started untill now it has rained almost every day and froze over night. 

here is to hoping it's solved soon. i have no idea where the issue is but its external to my indoor wiring and modem at this point. 

Its raining cats and dogs here right now, so i fully expect when i wake up in the morning for work i will have to reboot my modem to have some form of useable internet. 

crashxcc
I've been around

Would it be possible to get a beta of the firmware 2.0.10.21. I am having an issue on the 5Ghz only. Where I can't access any Samba shares. I see that is fixed in the above firmware. I could really use this as not being able to use 5ghz is a huge pain when working from home and transfering huge files. I can't be corded and 2.4Ghz is so slow.

I can access them on the 2.4ghz with no issues. I though it might be QOS causing it but I see I can't disable that either.

I have done days and days of troubleshooting over this... This was a tough one to figure out.

TY.

I.T maniac since 1992

@crashxcc

Send a PM to @CommunityHelps With the Subject "Firmware Trial"

they will give you instructions to get signed up for the BETA firmware, they will need:

Account Number

Modem Serial Number (On back of the modem)

Modem MAC Address 

itsgettinglate
I've been here awhile

My firmware is 2.0.10.13 How do I update? do i have to wait until it is pushed to me? I have to reboot multiple times per day, swapped modems, blah blah blah, this has been a trying month since i switched back to Rogers

@itsgettinglate the modem will update to the latest network wide release (2.0.10.19) within 48 hours.

Zirbengeist
I've been here awhile

Hello,

I am really hoping someone can help me out.  As I was using the old black hitron cable modem router last week and then all of the sudden my download speed went to 20MBS on my xbox.  My package is the 250 down and 20 up.  I had the router hard wired in with an ethernet cable to the modem.  My upload speed was always accurate and was not effected.  I had three different tecs come by and no one could trouble shoot the problem.  Finally the last tec set me up with this new modem.  It uses the same software interface as the old Hitron that I am familiar with when I log on it (192.168.0.1).  With the new modem I have the following happening:

1. Wirelessly I am only getting 80 down. (the tec said to play with the channels since there is lots of interference)

2. When I plug my laptop into the router via ethernet I am getting my 250 down and 20 up.  Sometimes even faters.

3. Xbox one plugged into the router gives me 30 down (at best) with 20 up.  I even went out and bought a cat 6 cable.

I would like to improve my wireless signal and more importantly the download speed for my xbox one.  I did try assigning a static IP to the xbox.  I did port forwarding based on xbox support page.  I tried turning off port forwarding and putting the xbox in a DMZ state.  Nothing seemed to correct the issue.  I have a moderate or Strict NAT and terrible download speed.

I am pretty comfortable playing with the software on the router and my xbox.  The only thing i am not sure of is if I should be someone assigning a different DNS (not familar with DNS) for the router and the xbox.

I would appreciate any help.   Not sure if it matters but geographically I live in London Ontario

***Added labels***

Jeffj
I plan to stick around

I couldnt test/check if i lost channels and speed this morning. The modem rebooted to install .19 at 5AM. So todays testing was a bust for me lol, atleast this mornings.