Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CODA-4582 - Open Issues for Investigation

RogersDave
Retired Support
Retired Support

*** This post was last edited May 2, 2017 ***

Good morning Community,

As I mentioned in a post two days ago, we have received the next firmware 2.0.10.20 from Hitron. We are currently running initial testing on this version and will push it out to participants in the firmware trial program as soon as it passes initial testing.

However, while running these tests, we discovered abnormal behavior with ICMP and are awaiting feedback from Hitron today to asses how this will be addressed. As soon as I this is confirmed, I’ll update the change log with the correct version information and start pushing it out.

In parallel, we are still working on the following high priority items. In some cases below, I requested affected customers to reach out to me via private message. If you do so, please include your modem MAC address in the subject line (even if we exchange messages daily) as there are a lot of you reaching out to me daily 🙂

UDP Packet Loss

The investigation for what has been reported as UDP packet loss is still ongoing. We have deployed a probe at one fellow forum member on both a CODA-4582 and a CGNM-3552 to collect additional data. We are actively working with Hitron and Intel on the results observed.

Based on what we know so far, in most instances UDP packet loss is coupled with higher uplink usage in the area. Although the impact is noticeable in specific logs (League of Legends), the root cause for the perceivable impact (while playing) is likely related to bufferbloat (see next issue).

Bufferbloat

When comparing the performance of a CODA-4582 to a CGNM-3552 in the same network conditions, the CODA-4582 consistently reports higher bufferbloat when tested on DSLReports.

Update April 12: The solution for this problem will come in two folds. It will require a change in software which will possibly be included in 2.0.10.27 but more likely in 2.0.10.28 and a change in network configuration.

The network configuration change is not compatible with the current firmware so this change will only come after a vast majority of the modems are running the new code. We are however looking at a way to make the change only for specific modems to support testing in the community.

Update April 22: This problem seems resolved in firmware 2.0.10.27

5 GHz WiFi Low range for channels 36 to 48

Lower WiFi channels on the modem have a much smaller range. This is due in part to the limit imposed by Industry Canada to maximum transmit power.

Furthermore, the current automatic channel selection (auto mode) tends to select the lower channels when in similar load conditions.

Workaround: manually select higher channels (149-153-157-161)

Update April 22: The channel selection algorithm has been improved in firmware 2.0.10.27

Loss of OFDM Channel Lock

Under some RF conditions, the modem fails to lock properly on the OFDM channel. This typically result in variable performance.

Update April 12: This problem is resolved in 2.0.10.26T2

List of connected device does not get fully populated

This is a known issue that has been tracked since firmware 2.0.10.13. We are making improvements at every firmware but it is not a perfect system.

The situation is worst after a reboot or firmware upgrade as the list gets reset and must be repopulated as devices renew their DHCP lease.

NAT Loopback not working for wired clients

When setting up port forwarding to an internal server, it is possible for a client on WiFi to reach the server using the external IP/port. If the client is on a wired interface, it doesn't work.

Update April 12: This problem is resolved in 2.0.10.26T2 (not confirmed)

LAN Counters not working

Some customers reported that LAN counters (especially in bridge mode) are reporting inaccurate values.

This problem has been reported to Hitron for investigation.

Unexpected modem reboot

Some customers reported their modem reboots unexpectedly. We have also seen this behavior in our lab.

Update April 12: This problem is resolved in 2.0.10.26T2

Missing SC-QAM Channels

After a reboot, some modems are missing SC-QAM channels. A fix has been implemented in 2.0.10.26T2 to address this behavior but it has not corrected all scenarios.

Investigation continues with Hitron.

WiFi Survey

The WiFi Survey functionality in firmware 2.0.10.26T2 (and possibly before) reports incorrect SSID names.

Guest Network

When connecting to the Guest Network, an error message is displayed "only allow DHCP client to use this wireless".  This has been reported in firmware 2.0.10.26T2.

Update April 22: This issue has been resolved in firmware 2.0.10.27

Update May 2: It seems this issue is not fully resolved and still experienced by some users

Future Planned Improvements

The following are items that we are working on in parallel of the above.

• Improvement in WiFi speeds
  • Improvement in latency / bufferbloat

Dave

*Edited Labels*

2,620 REPLIES 2,620

Re: CODA-4582 - Open Issues for Investigation

lethalsniper
I'm an enthusiast
@RogersDave @Datalink my coda modem is not working wifi even wired just logged in modem docsis even and it looks like my modem has rebooted 2 hours ago getting somethings with B-Init-rng failure there are 10 of those and 10 of no ranging response just got this modem and really getting Anoying ,

arrago
I plan to stick around

since going to the black dot, most of my issues are now resolved. Only issue is the full gigabit speeds and ipv6 I care about.  However at this level it is acceptable. Since knowing IPV6 is very close and gigabit speeds should improve as rogers upgrades the area. (prob area doesn't support full speeds) i'm used to that even bell sucks here. 700megs isnt bad either so can't complain.

LSTA
I plan to stick around

@arrago wrote:

since going to the black dot, most of my issues are now resolved. Only issue is the full gigabit speeds and ipv6 I care about.  However at this level it is acceptable. Since knowing IPV6 is very close and gigabit speeds should improve as rogers upgrades the area. (prob area doesn't support full speeds) i'm used to that even bell sucks here. 700megs isnt bad either so can't complain.

@arrago - To give you a bit of hope, 700 Mbps speed is common on devices that cannot support full gigabit ethernet -- this includes some USB 3 ethernet adapters and some built-in ports on laptops. On some of my computers, the Internet tops out at 700 Mbps when wired, on others I'll hit 920-960 Mbps when directly wired. When wireless, it depends on how close you are to the wifi, on 5 GHz, I regularly get 480-650 Mbps on an OnHub. I would basically assume that when you're seeing 700 Mbps, it's gigabit. 

asharahmed
I plan to stick around

Just got the new black dot modem, running .19. Put it in bridge mode. As soon as I did, I lost all internet access due to my modem not issuing my router an IP. Rogers Tech Support maintains that it is an issue with my router...Dave, will there be an update to fix this (my old modem was on .20)?

Running in gateway mode for now. Router is a NETGEAR R7000.

LSTA
I plan to stick around
@asharahmed - Check the first post in this thread, where @RogersDave writes:

Issues getting an IP in bridge mode
We have been able to reproduce this on D-Link routers. It is an bug in the D-Link firmware (DD-WRT doesn’t have the bug) but we are looking at ways to mitigate it from the modem side.

If this issue occurs routers other than D-Link, let me know as I’ll need to investigate further.

Also reported but not tested on: TPLink C2600 and Netgear WNR2000v5

Update Jan 10: A problem was identified in the way D-Link routers are executing a DHCP request and a workaround is being put in place. The fix will likely address the TP-Link case as well. This fix will be included in firmware 2.0.10.21.

asharahmed
I plan to stick around
huh. ill message dave

RyzenFX
I'm a reliable contributor

Over the past couple of days I noticed that my modem randomly restarted twice. I checked the DOCSIS Event tab to make sure everything was alright and it didn't show anything abnormal.

However, I noticed something unusual that happens repeatedly with the downlink LED. For a second,  I see the LED flash light blue and it goes back to blue. I  also noticed that it occurs intermittently.

The downlink LED flashing light blue doesn't seem to be a big problem, but it's making me eager to have DOCSIS 3.1 pushed to area Smiley Indifferent Regarding the modem restarting randomly, it is a problem that should be looked into and if anybody is experiencing the same problem I'd like to hear about it aswell.

Dragus
I plan to stick around

Time to see how round 3 with the CODA modem goes. Got the black dot and it's on .13 version. It'll probably do it's own firmware update in the next few days.

JJRRN
I plan to stick around

After trying to figure out how to provide more info, and to eliminate various independent factors, I tried all kinds of different CAT cables I have in the house, from old to new, cheap to expensive. I also tried all the different ports in my Asus RT-AC68U (with AsusWRT-MERLIN firmware Stable : 380.64_2), and all four ports in the Hitron CODA-4582 in bridged, gateway WIFI on, gateway WIFI off.

What it comes down is that despite the Hitron CODA-4582 and the Asus both seing each other connected at gigabit, I cannot get faster than 260-265 mbits down. NOTE: It didn't matter in any of the tests if the two devices were close together (1 foot) or farther apart (about 30 feet).

But if I connect to the Hitron CODA directly (in any state: bridged, gateway WIFI on, gateway WIFI off) , I can get 800+ mbits down. Which matches the speed I had before any of the slow downs in the last 3 to 4 weeks on my old bridged modem (Hitron CGN3).

So there's something in the way that they talk to each other. In all cases, I see high buffer bloat (as much as 8,000 ms). Haven't had enough time to run the day or two to see if the speeds fall without a reboot, but at least it shows the the Hitron CODA-4582 is working to speed in the short term, and that the potential problems is how it talks to other networking devices.

http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest/9344802

9344802.png

CODA 4582 Firmware 2.0.10.19 Sunday Jan22.jpg

gp-se
I'm an advisor
hardware NAT acceleration is probably turned off on your ASUS router.

JJRRN
I plan to stick around

@gp-se wrote:
hardware NAT acceleration is probably turned off on your ASUS router.

Actually it was turned on, no changes to the ASUS router's config. That's why I had the near gigabit speeds before the recent problems.

RyzenFX

For anyone who have used the gateway's WPS button, have they noticed that after establishing a connection, the LED stays green for more than 5 minutes? It's not a big problem, but I would like to see an enhancement that forces the LED to stay green for 1 minute, after establishing a connection with a device. At the same time, it does worry me to see the LED stay green for more than 5 minutes. 

I also noticed that the blue downlink LED intermittently flash light blue every 2-3 minutes. I noticed this with the previous CODA-4582's that I have exchanged as well with my current one.

WPS should be removed from all modems and routers.  It has just about zero security and is trivial to crack depending on how badly the firmware is coded.  I'd like to see it removed.  Same goes for TKIP.

@RogersDave sent you a message regarding missing channel on downstream freq 435 MHz ( SNR +13 ) cause by building lobby camera

Triple_Helix
I plan to stick around

Something coming down the pipe! http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/Getting_connected/message-id/331...

2.0.10.21T1 (Preliminary change log - Not deployed yet) *

• Fix: Unable to complete Easy Connect when using emojis in SSID or password
  • Fix: Samba and UPnP not working properly on WiFi
  • Fix: ICMP packet loss and WinMTR / PingPlotter reported packet loss
  • Fix: Bridge mode not working on certain 3rd party routers
  • Fix: DMZ host address can't be modified
  • Fix: WPS "cancel" button not working
  • Improvement: Switch setup menu now visible in GUI
  • Improvement: Connected device list contains more accurate data
  • Improvement: Addition on IPv6 specific firewall configuration (not complete)

JohnBeaudin
I'm a senior contributor

Dave confirmed beta testers should receive .21T sometimes this week!

Patch notes looks promising.

14N
I plan to stick around

@Triple_Helix wrote:

Something coming down the pipe! http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/Getting_connected/message-id/331...

2.0.10.21T1 (Preliminary change log - Not deployed yet) *

• Fix: Unable to complete Easy Connect when using emojis in SSID or password
  • Fix: Samba and UPnP not working properly on WiFi
  • Fix: ICMP packet loss and WinMTR / PingPlotter reported packet loss
  • Fix: Bridge mode not working on certain 3rd party routers
  • Fix: DMZ host address can't be modified
  • Fix: WPS "cancel" button not working
  • Improvement: Switch setup menu now visible in GUI
  • Improvement: Connected device list contains more accurate data
  • Improvement: Addition on IPv6 specific firewall configuration (not complete)

Can't wait to have this. Hopefully, it will fix the bridge mode not working on TP-Link C2600.

Thanks

DMc1
I've been here awhile
I have been having 1gb internet service issues for the past couple of months. I have had 4 swop out modems and still not solution. I know almost all the techs in my service area by name. Unfortunately today I was answered at the customer call in centre technical support for internet by someone who just doesn't get it. She paused during our call to contact her secondary support. I though you should be told about this and even request the recorded call to enlighten yourself as to the knowledge being passed out to loyal Rogers Customers. Apparently the 1 Gbp modem divides the 1 gb into two 500 Mb ... 500 for direct wiring and 500 for Wifi (2.4 and 5) and that is why I will never get over the 300 I am showing on my speed test and my plan says up to 1 Gbps service with no minimum number in the plan. I said then I must have been really lucky when I had the new white modem as I was getting almost 800 Gbps until it degraded down and I lost the 5 g wifi. Then when I call customer service to ask for a refund of some percentage on my monthly bill I get the "Sir, there is nothing wrong with our Gbps plans". Do all the technical support people have their heads in the dirt or are they sticking to the corporate script as no one admits to anything wrong with the 1 Gbps plan except all the blogs and forums.

DMc1
I've been here awhile

I have been having 1gb internet service issues for the past couple of months. I have had 4 swop out modems and still not solution. I know almost all the techs in my service area by name. Unfortunately today I was answered at the customer call in centre technical support for internet by someone who just doesn't get it. She paused during our call to contact her secondary support. I though you should be told about this and even request the recorded call to enlighten yourself as to the knowledge being passed out to loyal Rogers Customers. Apparently the 1 Gbp modem divides the 1 gb into two 500 Mb ... 500 for direct wiring and 500 for Wifi (2.4 and 5) and that is why I will never get over the 300 I am showing on my speed test and my plan says up to 1 Gbps service with no minimum number in the plan. I said then I must have been really lucky when I had the new white modem as I was getting almost 800 Gbps until it degraded down and I lost the 5 g wifi. Then when I call customer service to ask for a refund of some percentage on my monthly bill I get the "Sir, there is nothing wrong with our Gbps plans". Do all the technical support people have their heads in the dirt or are they sticking to the corporate script as no one admits to anything wrong with the 1 Gbps plan except all the blogs and forums.

Double_K

@DMc1 wrote:

OK, I had to chuckle about the 500 + 500.

But, the "no minimum number" is actually correct.  All plans are sold as "Speeds up to...", as no ISP will gaurantee a speed.

This is in their "fine print" details, which ironically, also states that you need a wired connection AND a wireless connection to get Gigabit speeds (which would mean your PC needs to be both plugged into the gateway, and connected wirelessly to the gateway - clearly the wording is incorrect and needs to be updated by their lawyers)

"Speeds may vary with internet traffic, server gateway/router, computer (quality, location in the home, software and applications installed), home wiring, home network or other factors. An Ethernet/wired connection and at least one wireless connection are required to reach maximum download speeds of up to 1 Gbps for Rogers Ignite Gigabit Internet."  (@CommunityHelps can you get this wording on the Internet page at https://www.rogers.com/consumer/internet addressed?  You don't need both to reach 1 Gbps)

Breadwinka
I plan to stick around

@RogersDave This is about the 2nd time in two days i have had my modem randomly restart on me with no changes?