CODA-4582 - Open Issues for Investigation

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: CODA-4582 - Open Issues for Investigation

huh. ill message dave
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Over the past couple of days I noticed that my modem randomly restarted twice. I checked the DOCSIS Event tab to make sure everything was alright and it didn't show anything abnormal.

However, I noticed something unusual that happens repeatedly with the downlink LED. For a second,  I see the LED flash light blue and it goes back to blue. I  also noticed that it occurs intermittently.

The downlink LED flashing light blue doesn't seem to be a big problem, but it's making me eager to have DOCSIS 3.1 pushed to area Smiley Indifferent Regarding the modem restarting randomly, it is a problem that should be looked into and if anybody is experiencing the same problem I'd like to hear about it aswell.

I Plan to Stick Around

Time to see how round 3 with the CODA modem goes. Got the black dot and it's on .13 version. It'll probably do it's own firmware update in the next few days.

I'm Here A Lot

After trying to figure out how to provide more info, and to eliminate various independent factors, I tried all kinds of different CAT cables I have in the house, from old to new, cheap to expensive. I also tried all the different ports in my Asus RT-AC68U (with AsusWRT-MERLIN firmware Stable : 380.64_2), and all four ports in the Hitron CODA-4582 in bridged, gateway WIFI on, gateway WIFI off.

What it comes down is that despite the Hitron CODA-4582 and the Asus both seing each other connected at gigabit, I cannot get faster than 260-265 mbits down. NOTE: It didn't matter in any of the tests if the two devices were close together (1 foot) or farther apart (about 30 feet).

But if I connect to the Hitron CODA directly (in any state: bridged, gateway WIFI on, gateway WIFI off) , I can get 800+ mbits down. Which matches the speed I had before any of the slow downs in the last 3 to 4 weeks on my old bridged modem (Hitron CGN3).

So there's something in the way that they talk to each other. In all cases, I see high buffer bloat (as much as 8,000 ms). Haven't had enough time to run the day or two to see if the speeds fall without a reboot, but at least it shows the the Hitron CODA-4582 is working to speed in the short term, and that the potential problems is how it talks to other networking devices.

http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest/9344802

9344802.png

CODA 4582 Firmware 2.0.10.19 Sunday Jan22.jpg

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

hardware NAT acceleration is probably turned off on your ASUS router.

I'm Here A Lot

@gp-se wrote:
hardware NAT acceleration is probably turned off on your ASUS router.

Actually it was turned on, no changes to the ASUS router's config. That's why I had the near gigabit speeds before the recent problems.

I'm a Reliable Contributor

For anyone who have used the gateway's WPS button, have they noticed that after establishing a connection, the LED stays green for more than 5 minutes? It's not a big problem, but I would like to see an enhancement that forces the LED to stay green for 1 minute, after establishing a connection with a device. At the same time, it does worry me to see the LED stay green for more than 5 minutes. 

I also noticed that the blue downlink LED intermittently flash light blue every 2-3 minutes. I noticed this with the previous CODA-4582's that I have exchanged as well with my current one.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

WPS should be removed from all modems and routers.  It has just about zero security and is trivial to crack depending on how badly the firmware is coded.  I'd like to see it removed.  Same goes for TKIP.

I'm a Regular

@RogersDave sent you a message regarding missing channel on downstream freq 435 MHz ( SNR +13 ) cause by building lobby camera
I Plan to Stick Around

Something coming down the pipe! http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/Getting_connected/message-id/331...

2.0.10.21T1 (Preliminary change log - Not deployed yet) *

• Fix: Unable to complete Easy Connect when using emojis in SSID or password
  • Fix: Samba and UPnP not working properly on WiFi
  • Fix: ICMP packet loss and WinMTR / PingPlotter reported packet loss
  • Fix: Bridge mode not working on certain 3rd party routers
  • Fix: DMZ host address can't be modified
  • Fix: WPS "cancel" button not working
  • Improvement: Switch setup menu now visible in GUI
  • Improvement: Connected device list contains more accurate data
  • Improvement: Addition on IPv6 specific firewall configuration (not complete)
Microsoft® MVP Windows Insider - Windows Security