CODA-4582 - Open Issues for Investigation

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Re: CODA-4582 - Open Issues for Investigation

@Jeffj

True but I have since replaced that device port with a 100 Mbit Jetdirect card. In all honesty, a 2.4 Ghz g wifi device would be pretty miserable performance wise compared to a laser printer.
I Plan to Stick Around

@mahomed wrote:
@Jeffj

True but I have since replaced that device port with a 100 Mbit Jetdirect card. In all honesty, a 2.4 Ghz g wifi device would be pretty miserable performance wise compared to a laser printer.

@mahomed I can agree if the G device is moving a lot of data consistently, an old printer that does nothing 99% of the time would not cause issues that are typically detectable though.  I run N/G mixed stil lfor my old Workforce 600 printer and do not notice any issues since it does nothing 99% of the time.  

Only whenthe AP is forced to switch to G will the network suffer, and only if its because the G device causes it to happen a lot because its being used. IE: laptop with G. 

In your case with the Jet card at 10 base T, they had a nasty habbit of broadcasting its presens constantly. So you suffered. 

I Plan to Stick Around

Hi @RogersDave

When my modem was updated to .20 last week, all devices connecting to 5Ghz cannot connect to the modem. I had to factory reset the modem through the back of the modem to fix it and manually input settings. The devices were stuck to obtaining IP.

Today, I had the same issue again probably due DHCP Lease Time was expired (1 week). I had to reset it again but this time I just restored a backup before I reset the modem. 

I did not encounter this issue with .19

I Plan to Stick Around

@RogersDaveNow speed dropped to 24mbps/1mbps.

I called Rogers. I could do better job than those at the first level. Wasted one hour asking what browsers I was using, try internet explorer, plug and unplug, run speedtest. I hung up getting tired.

Worst tech support ever. I wish I had such an easy job. They don't even know basic network terminologies. Why are they even asigned to tech support?

I Plan to Stick Around

@prateeck7 wrote:

@RogersDaveNow speed dropped to 24mbps/1mbps.

I called Rogers. I could do better job than those at the first level. Wasted one hour asking what browsers I was using, try internet explorer, plug and unplug, run speedtest. I hung up getting tired.

Worst tech support ever. I wish I had such an easy job. They don't even know basic network terminologies. Why are they even asigned to tech support?

One thing i will point out, The first tier of support reads from a script and are trying to help you, If you're more educated then them in the area of issue then this seems frusterating, that does not mean they are bad people, they are doing their job. Being gainfully employed in this country or any country for that matter is no joke, its a god send to people. That said, I dont think thir job is easy because they probably get lambasted by irate customers all day. 

If you find first level to be frusterationg or covering stuff you already have, you can ask for second level support and they will transfer you if you explain to them that this is not your first call in or that you have taken said steps already. 

Tech support is pretty darn hard, I know this being in the IT industry with an actual education in the field for the past 12 years.  It's even harder when either you have customers who know less then you and get upset at you because they dont understand or you have customers who may know or think they know more then you and then again get upset at you too. 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@14N wrote:

Hi @RogersDave

When my modem was updated to .20 last week, all devices connecting to 5Ghz cannot connect to the modem. I had to factory reset the modem through the back of the modem to fix it and manually input settings. The devices were stuck to obtaining IP.

Today, I had the same issue again probably due DHCP Lease Time was expired (1 week). I had to reset it again but this time I just restored a backup before I reset the modem. 

I did not encounter this issue with .19

I'm on .19 and noticed the same issue here, my Ecobee thermostat (2.4Ghz) wouldn't get an ip address today. I had to reset the CODA, I noticed it was also about a week ago I had the same issue. The CODA has some DHCP issues, as my work laptop at random wont get an ip address using the LAN cable, also SMB doesn't work on wireless. 

I Plan to Stick Around

@JeffjI am never rude to person in the support in real time. I am just venting my frustration here. I was once a university graduate and I know how being unemployed for a long time and being employed must feel. I asked for 2nd level suport, asked for the senior tech and they are ignoring me and resorting back to 'reset the modem' steps. I tried this twice already. 1st girl took over 1 hour while the 2nd guy was a little more knowledgeble.

I know tech support is hard. But those at the first level is not prepared for this at Rogers. I was a Bell customer not long ago. So I am speaking from my experience here.

Oh believe me, I wouldn't get upset on any real techs out there. I will just let them do there work and follow their instructions if they are competent. Heck, I even followed exactly what I was told by 1st level support even though I knew the outcome would be fruitless. And I waved goodbye for there 'kind' effort which I always do even when I am not satisfied.

I Plan to Stick Around

@prateeck7 wrote:

@JeffjI am never rude to person in the support in real time. I am just venting my frustration here. I was once a university graduate and I know how being unemployed for a long time and being employed must feel. I asked for 2nd level suport, asked for the senior tech and they are ignoring me and resorting back to 'reset the modem' steps. I tried this twice already. 1st girl took over 1 hour while the 2nd guy was a little more knowledgeble.

I know tech support is hard. But those at the first level is not prepared for this at Rogers. I was a Bell customer not long ago. So I am speaking from my experience here.

Oh believe me, I wouldn't . any real techs out there. I will just let them do there work and follow their instructions if they are competent. Heck, I even followed exactly what I was told by 1st level support even though I knew the outcome would be fruitless. And I waved goodbye for there 'kind' effort which I always do even when I am not satisfied.

THe biggest issue here with what you described, is the tier 1 support being reluctant to pass it on. I know from experience before I got employed where i am now, each support agent has a timer, a quota and an escalation summary. The more you exceetd the timer or pass the buck by escalation the worse your review of performance was and this is why so many first tier support reps resist or ignore the request to be passed along to a manager or tier two. ITs a combination of a poor system and self preservation. 

I'm a Reliable Contributor

@Jeffj @prateeck7

Back in the 90's, I used to call monitor and coach support teams for a large software company.  The things they were scored on was time to resolve and following the list of things to eliminate.  If they didn't do the checklist, they would get points shaved.  I am not saying Rogers is doing that, but @Jeffj comment about following a script is valid.  This is why I just prefer to interact with people on here or online support as they are more aware of the issues.  First line support (when I was the supervisor) were generally told to follow orders and not do advanced troubleshooting.

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

I can isolate my problem to a very simple reproducable scenario:

1. CODA-4582 in gateway mode with nothing plugged in to Ethernet. Connect via Wi-Fi from MacBook Pro via Wi-Fi. Internet speed is great

2. Plug Ethernet cable from a TP-LINK GB switch to CODA-4582 port 4. Internet speed from the same laptop first degrades and a few minutes later is lost completely

3. disconnect Ethernet switch. Great internet connectivity returns