CODA-4582 - Open Issues for Investigation

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: CODA-4582 - Open Issues for Investigation

@gp-se wrote:

I Wish Rogers would give us this:

http://www.technicolor.com/en/solutions-services/connected-home/broadband-devices/cable-modems-gatew...

It uses a Broadcom Chipset. 

The press release or annual report announcing the Comcast X1 deal said that Rogers was also going to be using some kind of D3.1 gateway with a Comcastic connection, so if Comcast is using this, maybe there's a possibility we'll see it later this year...

I'm a Reliable Contributor

@gp-se Maybe we could see that in the near future because Rogers will be releasing another DOCSIS 3.1 modem by mid 2017. Rogers will be using a modem that is compatible with Comcast's X1 platform- from what I've read online, Technicolor supplies Comcast with D3.1 modems, so there may be a good chance that a technicolor D3.1 could be what we're using next. 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@RyzenFX wrote:

@gp-se Maybe we could see that in the near future because Rogers will be releasing another DOCSIS 3.1 modem by mid 2017. Rogers will be using a modem that is compatible with Comcast's X1 platform- from what I've read online, Technicolor supplies Comcast with D3.1 modems, so there may be a good chance that a technicolor D3.1 could be what we're using next. 

I just thought of something interesting. I was looking at Shaw's Blue Sky forums earlier today (Blue Sky is their X1 product), and someone pointed out that since it's a completely different system including a completely different billing/provisioning system, basically, when you move over, they cancel your account in the old system, create a new account in the new system, and then they replace almost all your hardware, including all cable boxes (sorry, old ones can't work anymore), your eMTA for your phone, and more or less your Internet modem/gateway...

That makes me wonder if people in X1land could end up with the new gateway, whatever it is, while people in legacy land get different hardware...

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I really hope we get the Technicolor Gateway, I've had enough of the Intel Puma and it's baggage. Rogers must realize that the Intel Puma Chipset issues are costing them a lot of tech support hours, engineering hours, and of course costing them customers who are frustrated and leaving. The amount of Modem swaps alone is crazy, just from reading these forums, people are going though like 4-5 modems.

Intel doesn't seem to care to fix all the Puma 6 issues, they teased us with ipv4 ICMP fixes, then disapeared, thinking that would be enough. Now Intel released the Puma 7, which is looking like it suffers from the same issues, just not to the same extent, however the issues are still there. The Cable Companies need to show Intel they can't get away with this, change vendors!

I would really REALLY appreciate it if we can be updated with the progress for the fixes of the modem pleaseee. We haven't heard anything for weeks, and I think we would be happy to hear some progress being made. 

Besides that, Hitron needs to be pushed even harder from Rogers to have these bugs fixed soon. I think I heard alot of the bugs would be fixed by March, but we haven't been updated with any of the progress.. I'm clueless at this point.

@gp-se I agree with you, Rogers should change vendors and move to the Broadcom-based modem, however would they be able to get the modems at the same price as they did for the CODA-4582's? Assuming that the new gateway being released mid-year is broadcom-based would prices go up? 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@RyzenFX wrote:

@gp-se I agree with you, Rogers should change vendors and move to the Broadcom-based modem, however would they be able to get the modems at the same price as they did for the CODA-4582's? Assuming that the new gateway being released mid-year is broadcom-based would prices go up? 

Given the huge support costs that the 4582 has probably entailed, who cares about hardware costs?

If you look at Rogers' history, it looks to me like the main reason they've gone with Hitron is not cost but time to market, i.e. Hitron had a product with the newest thing (e.g. 24-channel D3 back in 2013, this thing in late 2016) shipping before the other manufacturers did. And really, to the extent that most of the code/bugs come from Intel, what good would it have done to add an Arris/Technicolor/whatever Puma 6 product 6-18 months later? (I don't think Broadcom has a 32-channel D3.0 product, not sure about 24-channel...)

I find very interesting, btw, that in the U.S., Puma 6 issues seem to have mostly been discovered in the past 3-6 months (and mostly centered around some Arris standalone modems). Puma 6 CGN3-family gateways have been widely deployed in Rogersland for 3 years!

I think my modem might be faulty or there could be another issue at hand. When data is being transmitted from the 2.4/5G band, I hear a noise coming from the DOCSIS tuner where the Coax goes into the modem.

Can anybody try running a speedtest over wifi and listen closely to their modem? When the speedtest is running you should hear a noise that is synchronized to the data being transferred to the speedtest sever.

Please let me know!
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@RyzenFX wrote:
I think my modem might be faulty or their could be amother issue at hand. When data is being transmitted from the 2.4/5G band, I hear a noise coming from the DOCSIS tuner where the Coax goes into the modem.

Can anybody try running a speedtest over wifi and listen closely to their modem? When the speedtest is running you should hear a noise that is synchronized to the data being transferred to the speedtest sever.

Please let me know!

Do you have a black dot 4582?

Yup, black dot from the second batch that was tested before being shipped to stores.

Do you have a CODA in gateway mode in which you run the test I described?
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@RyzenFX wrote:
Yup, black dot from the second batch that was tested before being shipped to stores.

Do you have a CODA in gateway mode in which you run the test I described?

No, mine is bridged... (and not a black dot model, which is costing me 8-9 D3.0 channels)