Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CODA-4582 - Open Issues for Investigation

RogersDave
Retired Support
Retired Support

*** This post was last edited May 2, 2017 ***

Good morning Community,

As I mentioned in a post two days ago, we have received the next firmware 2.0.10.20 from Hitron. We are currently running initial testing on this version and will push it out to participants in the firmware trial program as soon as it passes initial testing.

However, while running these tests, we discovered abnormal behavior with ICMP and are awaiting feedback from Hitron today to asses how this will be addressed. As soon as I this is confirmed, I’ll update the change log with the correct version information and start pushing it out.

In parallel, we are still working on the following high priority items. In some cases below, I requested affected customers to reach out to me via private message. If you do so, please include your modem MAC address in the subject line (even if we exchange messages daily) as there are a lot of you reaching out to me daily 🙂

UDP Packet Loss

The investigation for what has been reported as UDP packet loss is still ongoing. We have deployed a probe at one fellow forum member on both a CODA-4582 and a CGNM-3552 to collect additional data. We are actively working with Hitron and Intel on the results observed.

Based on what we know so far, in most instances UDP packet loss is coupled with higher uplink usage in the area. Although the impact is noticeable in specific logs (League of Legends), the root cause for the perceivable impact (while playing) is likely related to bufferbloat (see next issue).

Bufferbloat

When comparing the performance of a CODA-4582 to a CGNM-3552 in the same network conditions, the CODA-4582 consistently reports higher bufferbloat when tested on DSLReports.

Update April 12: The solution for this problem will come in two folds. It will require a change in software which will possibly be included in 2.0.10.27 but more likely in 2.0.10.28 and a change in network configuration.

The network configuration change is not compatible with the current firmware so this change will only come after a vast majority of the modems are running the new code. We are however looking at a way to make the change only for specific modems to support testing in the community.

Update April 22: This problem seems resolved in firmware 2.0.10.27

5 GHz WiFi Low range for channels 36 to 48

Lower WiFi channels on the modem have a much smaller range. This is due in part to the limit imposed by Industry Canada to maximum transmit power.

Furthermore, the current automatic channel selection (auto mode) tends to select the lower channels when in similar load conditions.

Workaround: manually select higher channels (149-153-157-161)

Update April 22: The channel selection algorithm has been improved in firmware 2.0.10.27

Loss of OFDM Channel Lock

Under some RF conditions, the modem fails to lock properly on the OFDM channel. This typically result in variable performance.

Update April 12: This problem is resolved in 2.0.10.26T2

List of connected device does not get fully populated

This is a known issue that has been tracked since firmware 2.0.10.13. We are making improvements at every firmware but it is not a perfect system.

The situation is worst after a reboot or firmware upgrade as the list gets reset and must be repopulated as devices renew their DHCP lease.

NAT Loopback not working for wired clients

When setting up port forwarding to an internal server, it is possible for a client on WiFi to reach the server using the external IP/port. If the client is on a wired interface, it doesn't work.

Update April 12: This problem is resolved in 2.0.10.26T2 (not confirmed)

LAN Counters not working

Some customers reported that LAN counters (especially in bridge mode) are reporting inaccurate values.

This problem has been reported to Hitron for investigation.

Unexpected modem reboot

Some customers reported their modem reboots unexpectedly. We have also seen this behavior in our lab.

Update April 12: This problem is resolved in 2.0.10.26T2

Missing SC-QAM Channels

After a reboot, some modems are missing SC-QAM channels. A fix has been implemented in 2.0.10.26T2 to address this behavior but it has not corrected all scenarios.

Investigation continues with Hitron.

WiFi Survey

The WiFi Survey functionality in firmware 2.0.10.26T2 (and possibly before) reports incorrect SSID names.

Guest Network

When connecting to the Guest Network, an error message is displayed "only allow DHCP client to use this wireless".  This has been reported in firmware 2.0.10.26T2.

Update April 22: This issue has been resolved in firmware 2.0.10.27

Update May 2: It seems this issue is not fully resolved and still experienced by some users

Future Planned Improvements

The following are items that we are working on in parallel of the above.

• Improvement in WiFi speeds
  • Improvement in latency / bufferbloat

Dave

*Edited Labels*

2,620 REPLIES 2,620

Re: CODA-4582 - Open Issues for Investigation

gp-se
I'm an advisor

@RV78 wrote:

I've switched my modem 3 times already, spoken to technical support varies times. Even have an interaction number after I've escalated the issue, which I receive a call about every week. Technical Support and even the Hitron Engineer still cannot pin point the root cause. Hopefully you guys can give me some ideas, since this issues is almost at 3 months long.

Has anyone faced issues with not connecting to ipv4 sites (ipv6 sites work perfectly fine) on devices wired or wirelessly connected to the Hitron CODA-4582 Router (FW: 33T3)?

We've tried the following...

1. Technician onsite to check signal
  2. Changed Router 3 times (issue first raised with AC Router) 
  3. Factory Reset several hundred times
  4. Upgraded Firmware to newer version and older version
  5. Disabled IPV6
  6. Re-allocated connected devices between 2.4 vs. 5
  7. Removed all wireless devices and test with wired devices (and vice versa)
  8. Tested with only 1 wired or wireless device

I've ran an ipv6-test.com test and its unable to connect to ipv4 "unsupported" on one device but successful on another device.  For any device that fails it states that the DNS6 + IP4 is unreachable.

Hope you guys have an insight to resolve this issue.

@RV78

What device are you using that is giving you this issue? When the technician comes, does his laptop have the same error? 

The fact that two completely different models of modems, with various different firmwares show this issue leads me to believe it's not a modem issue.

If you are getting this issue with just one computer, I'm inclined to believe the issue is in your computer. However is multiple devices, including the technicians laptop show this issue, then I think it's a CMTS configuration issue in your area. You would need to ask @RogersDave to have a look at the CMTS configuration.

@Sticks84 wrote:
Everything was working fine with 28T2 firmware, never lost connection. Losing connection now at least once a day on 33T3.

@Sticks84

You could perform a factory reset on your modem to go back to production firmware 28T2 if the connection drops are causing your trouble. Keep in mind you will need to set everything back up from scratch (WiFi, Passwords, etc.)

To perform a factory reset: use a pen tip or similar to press and hold the reset button on the back of the modem for 15 seconds then release. The modem will reboot and you'll have to set everything back up from scratch.

RV78
I've been here awhile

Multiple devices are having the same issue, below are the list of devices...

• Android Phones (S8 & Pixel 2 XL)
  • iPhone (6S Plus, 7, 7 Plus)
  • Chromecast
  • Chromecast Audio
  • Home mini
  • Samsumg TV
  • PS4
  • Nest Thermostat
  • PC Laptop
  • Macbook

*not all devices are connected at the same time

These devices fully connect the modem and during use the ipv4 connection drops, may come back automatically or after a modem reboot. (devices are less than 5 years)

Technician never used their own Laptop to conduct any tests.

@RogersDave how would I look at the CMTS configuration to confirm if its correct? Shouldn't a factory reset default this configuration?

gp-se
I'm an advisor

@RV78 wrote:

Technician never used their own Laptop to conduct any tests.

@RogersDave how would I look at the CMTS configuration to confirm if its correct? Shouldn't a factory reset default this configuration?

@RV78

You cannot view the CMTS configuration, only a Rogers network engineer has access to that.

I'm leaning towards that, because you've had multiple modems and multiple devices with this issue.

wjgiles
I've been here awhile

CODA-4582 Not working with Netgear Orbi

So I've done a lot of research, and reading this forum...I have noticed that D-Link routers have had issues with CODA-4582 as far as Internet connections.

Let me say this first....I have been running this Gateway in Bridge Mode for months with my Asus router...No issues....

Today, I decided to try out the Netgear Orbi AC3000.  The reason for the purchase, is I wanted better 5 Ghz coverage over all floors of my home, and to give mesh-WiFi a shot.

Long story short, I could not get the CODA 4582 to send Internet to my Orbi router.  I tried to reset the Gateway numerous times, as well as the Netgear, and same result.  I even put the CODA 4582 into Gateway mode, and then into Bridge mode again...Same result.

Finally, I plugged my Asus router back in, INTERNET NO PROBLEM!!!!!

Can anyone shed some light on what the issue could be?

Thanks in advance!!

Hello @wjgiles,

Thank you for your post and welcome to the Rogers Community Forums! 😃

It's pretty strange that the CODA-4582 modem is having issues sending the Internet to the Orbi Router especially in Bridge mode! Mesh Wi-Fi is supposed to be really great especially if you've got a larger home or if your layout is not ideal for Wi-Fi signal penetration.

Luckily you've reached the right place to get help! We have many Resident Experts like @Datalink@Gdkitty & @gp-se who are well versed in Home Networking technologies.

If there is anyone else in the Community who has experience with the Netgear Orbi AC3000 feel free to chime in!

RogersTony

wjgiles
I've been here awhile

Thanks for the reply.

I have a feeling this is a general issue with the CODA-4582 and connecting anything to it.  Perhaps something to do with a previous router being hooked up to the Gateway?  Maybe it has stored that info, and connecting something new is conflicting with whatever is stored or "cached" for lack of a better term?

Would appreciate some feedback from those who may have connected new routers, not even just the Netgear Orbi AC3000 unit, and were having issue, then rectified them.

Thanks in advance!

wayner92
I'm a reliable contributor

Did you try powering off the CODA and your router to see if that would allow it to connect?  And if it didn't work when you powered on the CODA first then try the opposite and power on the router first.  Just a WAG but you never know?

justink
I'm here a lot

I am experiencing heavy packet loss and unstable latency on the coda 4582 during peak hours. 5pm - 1am During the days it is normal. Playing online games is very hard with the lag.

I've contacted live chat many times and they say nothing is wrong. This has been an ongoing problem for 10 months. I'm on firmware 2.0.10.33T3

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hello @justink,

Thanks for reaching out. As a fellow gamer, I can relate. I know too well how a sudden lag spike can make or break an intense online game. 

Our Resident Experts like @Datalink@Gdkitty & @gp-se might be able to provide some suggestions here, alternatively, you can always PM @CommunityHelps and we can take a closer look.

For more information on our private messaging system check out our blog.

RogersShaun

gp-se
I'm an advisor

@justink wrote:

I am experiencing heavy packet loss and unstable latency on the coda 4582 during peak hours. 5pm - 1am During the days it is normal. Playing online games is very hard with the lag.

I've contacted live chat many times and they say nothing is wrong. This has been an ongoing problem for 10 months. I'm on firmware 2.0.10.33T3

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

@justink

Heavy packet loss during peak hours leads me to believe the issue is congestion on your Node. You can try sending @RogersDave a PM asking him to look at the load of your Node during peak hours.

justink
I'm here a lot
Great thanks for the info. I messaged @RogersDave

@justink you could also call tech support and ask to speak with a Level II tech regarding the load on the Cable Modem Termination System (CMTS) that your modem connects to.  The Level I tech that you normally speak with does not have access to that data for some reason, but, you have to go thru him or her enroute to the Level II tech.  

If you wanted to determine the effects of CMTS loading on the UDP transit times, and if you're slightly technical minded, have a look at the following post:

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r31737637-

If you follow that post, that will enable you to generate a UDP response plot, using the Rogers DNS or any other DNS if you choose to do so.  Running that test to the Rogers DNS first will enable you to determine if there are issues within the Rogers network, or, if the problems are beyond the Rogers network, in which case this is a peering and transit problem. 

I intend to repost that post to another forum with additional instructions for ICMP and TCP/IP.  Its on my list of things to do one of these days. 

Modomio
I've been around

Hi there,

I just had my internet installed, and I noticed some problems that look like software bugs.  Below is my hardware and software version:

Hardware Version 1A
Software Version 2.0.10.28T2

The first problem is that I cannot save my devices for Mac Filtering to the "Allow Listed" in the Wireless Access Control menu.  I can add them to the Managed Devices list, but when I try to save them, it just says saving with a little wheel spinning, and then it just hangs.  Then the modem need to be rebooted.  I called in to Rogers  support and they could not make it work remotely either.  It just hangs.   After playing with it quite a bit, I finally made it work, but that is when I dropped the Allowed List to 10 devices (I had to remove my work Laptop, PlayStation, TV, and a couple of older phones which I rarely use anymore.)  So it appears that their is a limit of about 10 devices?  And if you go over (I think I had about  14 or 15 before.  I did not try 11, or 12, or 13 to see if it works), it just crashes when trying to save.   I was able to add all 15 devices to the Security Device Filter menu.  But I noticed that it is not as effective as blocking WiFi access.  All it did was block the internet access, but I was still able to access my NAS.  Not at all effective in terms of network security. Also, I would like my pc to have bandwidth priority over other devices in the house.  Is that possible with this router?

Another issue is that I have noticed that my cell phones disconnected from the WiFi all the time when not being used and switch to my LTE data connection.  Not good in terms of using up my phones data plan while I'm sleeping.  Is their a known fix for this?  I have never seen such a problem in my years using other modems before (I was with Bell before).

Are these issues known?  Also, is my firmware version the latest out there?  I noticed that many here are using newer "Beta" Software.  Is this soon to be released software to fix these issues I am having?

This modem has been out for over 1 year now.  So many problems still as I have found out, and can read in this forum.  I have had a lot of experiance with software development in systems in the past.  To see these issues still here after 1 year is very concerning.  Is it possible to change to older modems if necessary?  I have the giggabit internet, but I would rather have a slower speed and something that works and is secure.  Or just bail and not get involved any further.

@wjgiles have you been able to resolve the problem connecting to the Orbi AC3000?

arnym21
I plan to stick around

@wjgiles wrote:

I have a feeling this is a general issue with the CODA-4582 and connecting anything to it. 

It was mentioned in another thread, you may try to reboot the modem after connecting new devices to it, and see if the device is now connected, and whether its speed limit was properly identified by the modem.

hoopdogg
I plan to stick around

Looking for a bit of Windows help.  I have Coda-4582 and am able to ping 8.8.8.8 from the Coda, but not from my Windows 10 box.   a tracert shows time outs after it gets to Coda.  I don't see any settings on Coda that restrict Lan to Wan but must be missing something. Coda in gateway mode.

Thanks, Murray

robbyf
I plan to stick around
Hey guys,
Having issues with my network, more specifically DHCP. Devices are showing connected but they're not accessible on the network. If i set the IP to static it works fine.

I can't set my google Chromecast and Google home to static so I'm always rebooting the modem.

Anyone have a fix other than a router
28T firmware. I was in beta channel but I've not got 33 yet

Mythen
I plan to stick around
I have an interesting issue. I recently purchased a Roku premier+ while it's just sitting idle it causes massive lag spikes that are not explained. When I unplug it it seems to get much better. Anyone else experience anything like this?

@Mythen have a look at the following threads:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Roku/comments/68kppm/got_a_roku_premiere_now_im_experiencing_lag/

and, have a look at the comments by @errantbyte in the following thread.  They should read "DLNA":

https://community.shaw.ca/thread/32432

Looks like there might be some issue with Roku.  I can see this happening when its in use, while its idle doesn't make sense, unless its not really idle at all??  I wonder what it does in the background when its not in use?

ayosnato
I plan to stick around
@robbyf I believe that is what most people are encountering (Iknow I am). I have to set my devices to static if I want them to access the Coda network. You may also try DHCP reservation if it works for you (not in my case)