CODA-4582 - Open Issues for Investigation

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: CODA-4582 - Open Issues for Investigation

So, any news on the new gateway that was supposed to be announced a couple of weeks ago?

Highlighted
I'm a Reliable Contributor

@Telek No news but I'd hold your horses on that one.

For all CODA-4582 users on firmware 2.0.10.27 the new network version is now 2.0.10.28T2. If you manage to reboot your modem, you will now receive this version on boot. I belive that this version only contain minor internal changes (nothing related to improvements) if I can recall what Dave said earlier. 

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

@RyzenFX

Have you noticed that the latest version of the firmware .31 is not nearly as stable as the network wide version. My latency is all over the place
Highlighted
I'm a Reliable Contributor

@Mythen While I was on .31 I didn't really notice the latency problem that was present on .30. From my experience I believe that .31 still has a latency problem but not to the extent that was on .30.

While playing League of Legends there might have been some small hiccups where the ping would increase from 27ms to 31ms but that's all I really noticed on firmware .31. If you want you can reboot the modem to be put on .28T2 and compare the latency between the two versions. 

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

I may do that. There is definitely something wrong with this version. The random lag spikes is back
Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

I have a strange problem to report:

I got CODA-4582 back in Dec 2016. It work reasonably well until June 2017 showing 130 mbps on the ethernet connection, and 185 on WIFI ( using 5GHz wide channel on both iPad Air Pro and LG G5) on my 100u plan. Very respectable.

Around mid-June my area experienced multiple Rogers cable outages, several technician vans became a fixture in the neighborhood. At one point my internet speed fell to below 1mbps. Reboot the modem. Speed back to normal. After 15 minutes down to 1 mbps. Several time.

Enter Rogers technician. Changed modem.   Normal speed. Refuses to wait for 15 minutes. After 15 minutes speed down to 1mbps.

Complaint to Rogers. Second tech came. This one changed a couple of connectors in the basement, plus a modem and left. Same story (1 mbps after 15 minutes)

Complaint to Rogers. Visit scheduled for Senior Tech. 2 vans arrived, one of the guys introduced himself as senior tech. Told me that my signal is too strong, added attenuator to a patch cable and left without waiting. 15 minutes and 1 mbps. I called him and demanded Rogers ID number. That is when he admitted that he is not a senior tech at all.

Complaint to Rogers. This time real live senior tech arrived. Very thorough. Took ownership of the issue. Replaced all the cables in the basement. Threw away the attenuator. Replaced the modem twice. Same picture. He then decided to test the speed at the green box with his PC and new (CODA-4582) modem. Same picture.  I talked him to test the same setup (modem plus his laptop) at the green box across the street. This worked like a charm. The problem was upstream from the box. So far so good. He strung up a temporary line and initiated workordersto bury the cable and for Rogers maintenance to fix the infrastructure problem. Everything worked for 2 to 3 weeks, survived several outages. Then somebody at Rogers removed the temp line, cancelled the burial order and reconnected me to the old green box. Problem reappeared if full force!

This time I went to the store and downgraded my modem (did not want to do it because of future proof and much poorer WIFI performance of the Rocket CGN3AMR modem. Result: stable fast connection. Speed of 130 on the ethernet, WIFI 185 on Android, but only 35 on iPad Air Pro next to the modem. 

If you think my description above is too verbose, here is a brief summary of the puzzle:

CODA-4582 on one green box works fine, on a different one, boots up with  high speed, but "chokes" within 15 minutes and slows down to below 1 mbps. Tested with 4 different CODA-4582 several times.

CGN3AMR works fine on the "problem" green box

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

@igorella1 so we know that, at least in the past, the CODA-4582 had a lot of problems where it would lock onto bad channels and refuse to release. This was a problem for many users with good connections in the past.

It's possible that since there's clearly a physical line issue, the CODA modem isn't switching away from bad channels still, whereas your CGN did. I would still push rogers to repair the line (escalate to the office of the president, you've been through more than enough). Since a senior tech diagnosed, found the problem, provided a patch that worked (which proves the problem), it's ridiculous to cancel that later on.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@igorella1 I've sent a message to the moderators thru the @CommunityHelps address to review your post.  Hopefully that will start the ball rolling to see this thru to the end.  Please have a look at your avatar at the upper right when you're logged into the forum.  A number overlaid on that avatar will indicate a message waiting or other mention of your name in the forum.  Follow the avatar (as a link) to the message and profile services on the following linked pages to drill down to the message inbox. 

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Thanks for your help
Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Thank you for taking the time and for encouragement