Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CODA-4582 - Open Issues for Investigation

RogersDave
Retired Support
Retired Support

*** This post was last edited May 2, 2017 ***

Good morning Community,

As I mentioned in a post two days ago, we have received the next firmware 2.0.10.20 from Hitron. We are currently running initial testing on this version and will push it out to participants in the firmware trial program as soon as it passes initial testing.

However, while running these tests, we discovered abnormal behavior with ICMP and are awaiting feedback from Hitron today to asses how this will be addressed. As soon as I this is confirmed, I’ll update the change log with the correct version information and start pushing it out.

In parallel, we are still working on the following high priority items. In some cases below, I requested affected customers to reach out to me via private message. If you do so, please include your modem MAC address in the subject line (even if we exchange messages daily) as there are a lot of you reaching out to me daily 🙂

UDP Packet Loss

The investigation for what has been reported as UDP packet loss is still ongoing. We have deployed a probe at one fellow forum member on both a CODA-4582 and a CGNM-3552 to collect additional data. We are actively working with Hitron and Intel on the results observed.

Based on what we know so far, in most instances UDP packet loss is coupled with higher uplink usage in the area. Although the impact is noticeable in specific logs (League of Legends), the root cause for the perceivable impact (while playing) is likely related to bufferbloat (see next issue).

Bufferbloat

When comparing the performance of a CODA-4582 to a CGNM-3552 in the same network conditions, the CODA-4582 consistently reports higher bufferbloat when tested on DSLReports.

Update April 12: The solution for this problem will come in two folds. It will require a change in software which will possibly be included in 2.0.10.27 but more likely in 2.0.10.28 and a change in network configuration.

The network configuration change is not compatible with the current firmware so this change will only come after a vast majority of the modems are running the new code. We are however looking at a way to make the change only for specific modems to support testing in the community.

Update April 22: This problem seems resolved in firmware 2.0.10.27

5 GHz WiFi Low range for channels 36 to 48

Lower WiFi channels on the modem have a much smaller range. This is due in part to the limit imposed by Industry Canada to maximum transmit power.

Furthermore, the current automatic channel selection (auto mode) tends to select the lower channels when in similar load conditions.

Workaround: manually select higher channels (149-153-157-161)

Update April 22: The channel selection algorithm has been improved in firmware 2.0.10.27

Loss of OFDM Channel Lock

Under some RF conditions, the modem fails to lock properly on the OFDM channel. This typically result in variable performance.

Update April 12: This problem is resolved in 2.0.10.26T2

List of connected device does not get fully populated

This is a known issue that has been tracked since firmware 2.0.10.13. We are making improvements at every firmware but it is not a perfect system.

The situation is worst after a reboot or firmware upgrade as the list gets reset and must be repopulated as devices renew their DHCP lease.

NAT Loopback not working for wired clients

When setting up port forwarding to an internal server, it is possible for a client on WiFi to reach the server using the external IP/port. If the client is on a wired interface, it doesn't work.

Update April 12: This problem is resolved in 2.0.10.26T2 (not confirmed)

LAN Counters not working

Some customers reported that LAN counters (especially in bridge mode) are reporting inaccurate values.

This problem has been reported to Hitron for investigation.

Unexpected modem reboot

Some customers reported their modem reboots unexpectedly. We have also seen this behavior in our lab.

Update April 12: This problem is resolved in 2.0.10.26T2

Missing SC-QAM Channels

After a reboot, some modems are missing SC-QAM channels. A fix has been implemented in 2.0.10.26T2 to address this behavior but it has not corrected all scenarios.

Investigation continues with Hitron.

WiFi Survey

The WiFi Survey functionality in firmware 2.0.10.26T2 (and possibly before) reports incorrect SSID names.

Guest Network

When connecting to the Guest Network, an error message is displayed "only allow DHCP client to use this wireless".  This has been reported in firmware 2.0.10.26T2.

Update April 22: This issue has been resolved in firmware 2.0.10.27

Update May 2: It seems this issue is not fully resolved and still experienced by some users

Future Planned Improvements

The following are items that we are working on in parallel of the above.

• Improvement in WiFi speeds
  • Improvement in latency / bufferbloat

Dave

*Edited Labels*

2,620 REPLIES 2,620

Re: CODA-4582 - Open Issues for Investigation

RyzenFX
I'm a reliable contributor

@Datalink Unfortunately, the options you have listed are not possible. I will have to explain the situation to their support staff and have them send in another technician to replace the splitter. 

I'm really confident that it is the 2-way splitter causing this problem. From what I can remember, none of these issues occurred when I had the Antronix 2-way splitter.

@RyzenFX did you go from a two way to a three way splitter (or more) by any chance?

RyzenFX

Nope. My modem is connected to the -3.5dB output from the 2-way splitter. The other -3.5 output is connected to a 4-way splitter which connects the 4 televisions in my household. Picture quality is crisp and clear on the televisions.

hmm, ok, guess the only way to figure this out is to replace that two port splitter and see what happens.  Depending on your signal levels, an amplifier might be an idea as well, with the internet modem fed off of the VOIP port which would give you the same (non-amped) -3.5 db drop from amplifier input to VOIP port output.  The amped ports would be used to drive the cable boxes. 

RyzenFX

For my case, an amplifier won't be needed. The signal strength enters the house from the tap at +4dBmV so I should be fine. I'll let you know of the results once it does get fixed. Smiley Happy

Telek
I plan to stick around

@RyzenFX

Is it common for splitters to "die"? I would think that should be nearly impossible. They're solid state devices with almost no power going through them and very limited passive component count. Unless you have transient A/C on your line or something, how could they die over time?

Point being, you may need to look around for another problem.

Have you tried swapping the outputs on the splitter?

It should be possible to just connect your incoming line via a simple F/F joiner to the modem line to at least test (bypassing the splitter).  Keep in mind that if a tech comes out, and determines that the splitter is not at fault, you might be charged for the service call.

RyzenFX

@Datalink @Telek I was able to find an dual f-type connector and I can confirm that it is not a problem with my splitter. Modem lost lock onto OFDM carrier w/ the dual f-type connector so it has to be a problem with my modem. 

I have downgraded the firmware to 2.0.10.27 from .30 and it hasn't made a difference. I will have to replace this modem. 

MegnaGaming
I plan to stick around

Is anyone else getting packet loss over the last little while? Not sure what has changed but it's definitely been an issue for me since things changed over to .29 (so a couple of weeks now).

Just cross posting this link to another section of the board, as I'm not sure yet if this is CODA-4582 related or not...last post on 9 and first on 10 describe my issue and provide PingPlotter graphs of it.

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/v3_1/forumtopicpage/board-id/Getting_connected/page/9/th...

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks.

ishine80
I plan to stick around

Hi Community and @RogersDave 

My issues are still not resolved even after the update to v. 29 on the Coda.  We have a router in the basement connected in bridge mode and all of our cell phone's simultaneously dropping the wifi signal without warning.  I have noticed when this happens that we are still able to stream through programs such as Netflix and Youtub app on our pc devices.  So all cell phones drop the wifi signal though the wifi connected symbol still populates on our cell phones and the bridged router also loses it's wifi.  We are the left to restart the Coda in order to get the signals back.  This forum is my last resort for a solution.  Thank you for any help regarding this matter.

Telek
I plan to stick around

@ishine80 wrote:

We have a router in the basement connected in bridge mode and all of our cell phone's simultaneously dropping the wifi signal without warning.

What are you using for gateway and WiFi then if you're bridging the router? I would assume the problem lies there.

@ishine80 wrote:

Hi Community and @RogersDave 

My issues are still not resolved even after the update to v. 29 on the Coda.  We have a router in the basement connected in bridge mode and all of our cell phone's simultaneously dropping the wifi signal without warning.  I have noticed when this happens that we are still able to stream through programs such as Netflix and Youtub app on our pc devices.  So all cell phones drop the wifi signal though the wifi connected symbol still populates on our cell phones and the bridged router also loses it's wifi.  We are the left to restart the Coda in order to get the signals back.  This forum is my last resort for a solution.  Thank you for any help regarding this matter.

Hi ishine80, 

First to clear up the confusion, if I am correct, the modem is in bridge mode and you are using your own wifi router. So somewhere between your router and the internet there is a loss of connection. This could be caused by your router, the ethernet connection to the modem, the modem or the internet. To narrow things down, you should have the modem unbridged, wifi setup and power off your router for testing. If the issue persists, then we have eliminated your equipment. If this is the case, have you called for troubleshooting with your networking equipment out of the picture?

Brian

ishine80
I plan to stick around
@borford
We have a router in the basement which is in bridge mode I am told but my husband and I connect on our bungalow floor by connecting directly with the coda set up wifi. When the issues begin both the router downstairs and our mobile devices disconnect from wifi or simply get blocked from accessing wifi without notification. This forces our data plans to kick in behind the scene though the cell task bar on the top of the page shows wifi symbol.

When I check the modem DOCSIS events show the following

18 07/13/2017 13:23:13 90000000 warning MIMO Event MIMO: Stored MIMO=-1 post cfg file MIMO=-1;CM-MAC=Address removed;CMTS-MAC=Address removed ;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;

19 07/13/2017 23:44:51 82000200 critical No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=Address removed ;CMTS-MAC=Address removed ;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;

@ishine80 you indicated previously that you were still able to stream through programs such as Netflix and Youtub app on your pc devices.  Can you confirm for me that those devices are connected via ethernet to the CODA-4582?  Just want to be sure I understand your network configuration.

ishine80
I plan to stick around
@Datalink the pc devices are also connected across the wifi 2.4 signal.

@ishine80 wrote:
@Datalink the pc devices are also connected across the wifi 2.4 signal.

ishine80 

The biggest obstacle we will have here is that the situation and terminology is being confused. You need to be absolutely clear about the details as I laid out previously in order to attempt a resolution. Consider the following questions.

1) Is it the modem that is bridged, basically changing it from a router/modem to a modem only?

2) Is it your own router that are using that provides the only wifi source in the home?

3) If the modem is truly bridged, how many ethernet ports are in use at the back of the modem?

4) How many wifi networks (SSIDs) of your own that are visible in your home?

5) Are there any extenders in use?

A side note, please turn off the smart switch (data) on your mobile phone to prevent the automatic switching from wifi to data. It doesn't make sense to allow your mobile phones to do updates unless connected to wifi. Phones will switch for multiple reason. Loss of internet, or low wifi signal being 2 of them. For android phones, I use a "data switch" app that is free that allows one tap to enable data when I'm out and only if I need it.

Please clarify again so that this may be resolved.

Brian

ishine80
I plan to stick around

@borford My apologies.  I'm not too tech savy and didn't know what exactly our tenant was doing.

I've confirmed with him the following.  He is using a linksys extender down in our basement which connects to the wifi.  The house is from 1949 and we were having a hard time trying to run wires / get wifi to him down there.  

To answer your questions now.

1) The rogers gateway is not bridged

2) We are all trying to use the wifi signal coming from the CODA

3) Modem is not bridged

4)In our own home we have our 2.4/ 5 connections from the CODA plus the extender signal

5) yes a linksys extender

I think its fairly clear. The CODA-4582 is running in Gateway mode upstairs, the linksys extender is running downstairs, so, that will take up another channel.  The pc's are connected to the linksys extender via ethernet downstairs. The extender connects to the modem via the 2.4 Ghz network.  @ishine80 do I have that correct?

Are the phones also connected to the 2.4 Ghz network running from the modem?  

Here's my current advice:

Check/set the following 2.4 Ghz wifi parameters:

Wireless Mode: 802.11 n
Channel Bandwidth: 20/40 Mhz, although, for test puposes you could set this to 20 Mhz. In a crowded wifi environment, I would set this for 20 Mhz.
Wireless channel: AUTO or, to an open channel if one existed, or to the channel that offers the least interference from neighboring routers and modems
WPS Enabled: OFF
Security Mode: WPA-Personal
Auth Mode: WPA2-PSK
Encrypt Mode: AES only

Save the setting and ensure that the Encrypt Mode stays on AES only. If it changes on its own to TKIP/AES, change it back to AES only and save the setting again. TKIP is no longer secure and is used will cause the data rate to drop down to 802.11g rates of 54 Mb/s. 

Check/set the following 5 Ghz wifi parameters:

Wireless Mode: 802.11 a/n/ac mixed
Channel Bandwidth: 80 Mhz, although, for test puposes you could set this to 40 Mhz
Wireless channel: 149 to 165
WPS Enabled: OFF
Security Mode: WPA-Personal
Auth Mode: WPA2-PSK
Encrypt Mode: AES only

Once again, save the setting and ensure that the Encrypt Mode stays on AES only. If it changes on its own to TKIP/AES, change it back to AES only and save the setting again.

@toolcubed has just reminded me, you can leave the bandwidth on 20/40/80, or Auto.  If you do set this for 80 Mhz, or 20/40/80 or Auto, the modem will command a clear channel to run at the receiving device to determine if the channels required for 40 or 80 Mhz are already in use.  If not, then the modem or router will use a 40 or 80 Mhz wide channel.  If the extended channels required for 40 or 80 Mhz wide operation are already occupied, as detected by the receiving device, then that device will indicate that fact to the modem / router and the transmit channel will shift down to a 20 or 40 Mhz wide channel, depending on the results of that clear channel check.  

Reboot the modem if you had to make any changes, ADMIN ..... DEVICE RESET .... Reboot.

Look at your wifi environment using one of the following applications running on a (dual band) laptop.  If you can use a dual band laptop, that will show both 2.4 and 5 Ghz bands and it will be easier to determine if you can shift up to the 5 Ghz band, depending of course if your devices can use that band:

http://www.techspot.com/downloads/5936-inssider.html

https://www.acrylicwifi.com/en/wlan-software/wlan-scanner-acrylic-wifi-free/

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html

Or,

For IOS

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/network-analyzer-lite-wifi/id562315041?mt=8

For Android

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.farproc.wifi.analyzer&hl=en

That's the last freebie version of inSSIDer and at this point in time is getting a little old.  Its fine for 2.4 Ghz application and does work for 802.11n 5 Ghz networks.  It does display 802.11ac networks but not as well as it should.  This has become a licenced application now for $20 US and works very well for both frequency bands, 2.4 and 5 Ghz.  For what you need to look at in the 2.4 Ghz band, this is my preference to use. 

The other applications are fine for 802.11ac. Acrylic is graphical, WifiInfoView is text only.

What you want to do is determine what channels in the 2.4 Ghz band and 5 Ghz band, specifically the 149 to 165 channel  range are occupied and if so, which offers the least competition in terms of signal level for any given channel.  If you can find a channel or channel range in both groups that is not occupied, that will be the best choice.

If you take a screen capture of the wifi networks with inSSIDer, paste that into Microsoft Paint or other graphics program, wipe out your network MAC address, save it, and then include it in a post, we can take a look at both 2.4 and 5 Ghz bands if you load inSSIDer on a dual band laptop.  Running on a 2.4 Ghz channel can be difficult if not impossible due to interference from other neighborhood modems and routers, so, inSSIDer will show that. There is also the issue of interference from cordless phones, microwave ovens and other devices in the home that can cause trouble for 2.4 Ghz wifi.  inSSIDer won't show that, neither will any other typical wifi monitor.  That requires spectrum analyzer capability to determine what else is operating in the 2.4 Ghz band that might be interfering with the modem's wifi.

ishine80
I plan to stick around

@Datalink

PC's upstairs are connected to gateway upstairs.  PC downstairs is connected to linksys.  I will try these changes when I get home after 6pm and send you an update.

@ishine80, when the wifi connection drops, do  you lose connection on both sets of ethernet devices, upstairs and downstairs?  I can understand if that happens with the downstairs connected pc's, given the wifi bridge, if it also happens to the upstairs pc's that points to a modem connection issue with the CMTS, not a wifi issue.

ishine80
I plan to stick around

@Datalink

sorry hard to understand what you mean by ethernet devices.  All my devices are trying to connection to the wifi signal coming from the gateway.  

Here are the devices upstairs:

2 active Fido networked iphones, an old iphone that my daughter uses for streaming youtube kids which is not connected to a cellnetwork, plus a laptop for streaming netflix.

Dowstairs:

linksys extender, android cell device with cellular network and a PC that streams youtube and other programs.  

When the wifi connection drops on the extender and the cellular network connected phones I get the following messages when I check the modem DOCSIS events show the following

18 07/13/2017 13:23:13 90000000 warning MIMO Event MIMO: Stored MIMO=-1 post cfg file MIMO=-1;CM-MAC=Address removed;CMTS-MAC=Address removed ;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;

19 07/13/2017 23:44:51 82000200 critical No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=Address removed ;CMTS-MAC=Address removed ;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;

The youtube kids streaming on my daughters phone does not get affected nor does the streaming of netflix.  I cannot discern if this is due to buffering but usually one of these has been running for a long time before i notice that my cell wifi is no longer active.