Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CODA-4582 - Open Issues for Investigation

RogersDave
Retired Support
Retired Support

*** This post was last edited May 2, 2017 ***

Good morning Community,

As I mentioned in a post two days ago, we have received the next firmware 2.0.10.20 from Hitron. We are currently running initial testing on this version and will push it out to participants in the firmware trial program as soon as it passes initial testing.

However, while running these tests, we discovered abnormal behavior with ICMP and are awaiting feedback from Hitron today to asses how this will be addressed. As soon as I this is confirmed, I’ll update the change log with the correct version information and start pushing it out.

In parallel, we are still working on the following high priority items. In some cases below, I requested affected customers to reach out to me via private message. If you do so, please include your modem MAC address in the subject line (even if we exchange messages daily) as there are a lot of you reaching out to me daily 🙂

UDP Packet Loss

The investigation for what has been reported as UDP packet loss is still ongoing. We have deployed a probe at one fellow forum member on both a CODA-4582 and a CGNM-3552 to collect additional data. We are actively working with Hitron and Intel on the results observed.

Based on what we know so far, in most instances UDP packet loss is coupled with higher uplink usage in the area. Although the impact is noticeable in specific logs (League of Legends), the root cause for the perceivable impact (while playing) is likely related to bufferbloat (see next issue).

Bufferbloat

When comparing the performance of a CODA-4582 to a CGNM-3552 in the same network conditions, the CODA-4582 consistently reports higher bufferbloat when tested on DSLReports.

Update April 12: The solution for this problem will come in two folds. It will require a change in software which will possibly be included in 2.0.10.27 but more likely in 2.0.10.28 and a change in network configuration.

The network configuration change is not compatible with the current firmware so this change will only come after a vast majority of the modems are running the new code. We are however looking at a way to make the change only for specific modems to support testing in the community.

Update April 22: This problem seems resolved in firmware 2.0.10.27

5 GHz WiFi Low range for channels 36 to 48

Lower WiFi channels on the modem have a much smaller range. This is due in part to the limit imposed by Industry Canada to maximum transmit power.

Furthermore, the current automatic channel selection (auto mode) tends to select the lower channels when in similar load conditions.

Workaround: manually select higher channels (149-153-157-161)

Update April 22: The channel selection algorithm has been improved in firmware 2.0.10.27

Loss of OFDM Channel Lock

Under some RF conditions, the modem fails to lock properly on the OFDM channel. This typically result in variable performance.

Update April 12: This problem is resolved in 2.0.10.26T2

List of connected device does not get fully populated

This is a known issue that has been tracked since firmware 2.0.10.13. We are making improvements at every firmware but it is not a perfect system.

The situation is worst after a reboot or firmware upgrade as the list gets reset and must be repopulated as devices renew their DHCP lease.

NAT Loopback not working for wired clients

When setting up port forwarding to an internal server, it is possible for a client on WiFi to reach the server using the external IP/port. If the client is on a wired interface, it doesn't work.

Update April 12: This problem is resolved in 2.0.10.26T2 (not confirmed)

LAN Counters not working

Some customers reported that LAN counters (especially in bridge mode) are reporting inaccurate values.

This problem has been reported to Hitron for investigation.

Unexpected modem reboot

Some customers reported their modem reboots unexpectedly. We have also seen this behavior in our lab.

Missing SC-QAM Channels

After a reboot, some modems are missing SC-QAM channels. A fix has been implemented in 2.0.10.26T2 to address this behavior but it has not corrected all scenarios.

Investigation continues with Hitron.

WiFi Survey

The WiFi Survey functionality in firmware 2.0.10.26T2 (and possibly before) reports incorrect SSID names.

Guest Network

When connecting to the Guest Network, an error message is displayed "only allow DHCP client to use this wireless".  This has been reported in firmware 2.0.10.26T2.

Update April 22: This issue has been resolved in firmware 2.0.10.27

Update May 2: It seems this issue is not fully resolved and still experienced by some users

Future Planned Improvements

The following are items that we are working on in parallel of the above.

• Improvement in WiFi speeds
  • Improvement in latency / bufferbloat

Dave

*Edited Labels*

2,620 REPLIES 2,620

Re: CODA-4582 - Open Issues for Investigation

KyleW1988 wrote:
Has any noticed any improvements with .27 in regards to actually being able to connect to someone in P2P games like NHL?

.27 will provide an option to disable to IPV6 and use IPV4 only. When only using IPV4 was I was able to find matches on FIFA 17 for Xbox One. With the dual stack option on, I was still unable to locate matches. Over the last month the game I have been playing on Xbox one has been Madden 17. What's also odd is that I havent had any matching making issues with that game and if I recall correctly I probably played madden 2-3 weeks ago. Didn't play today yet just tested Fifa with IPv6 off.

4kgigabitguy

To me, that indicates that there is a problem with the Microsoft servers, or game match system when the XBox is using IPV6, although, you can't rule out possible modem issues.  Is the modem not doing something that it should be doing when IPV6 is in use when it comes to running an XBox?  This should be a huge issue for Microsoft, especially since they push for using IPV6 at the various conferences and industry briefings where there staff give presentations on issues which include XBox IPV6 usage.  Perhaps that is an issue that @RogersDave can ping Microsoft on, not that he's not busy enough already.  Perhaps another staff member can do the honours?

Triple_Helix
I plan to stick around

.27 working well here!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Looks likes only with some games as when I played Halo 5 & madden it was ok and IPv6 was on. Gunna test some other games and report back.

KyleW1988
I plan to stick around
Well that's awesome if they include an option to disable IPv6 in .27. Its been painful not being able to play any HUT games in NHL.

Ok, so, thats a question for Microsoft, why do some games run with IPV6 and some don't.  How is Joe Consumer going to know when he or she buys a game, that the game will work with IPV6, or not?  The gaming crowd here needs to start a list of which games work, and which don't.

KyleW1988
I plan to stick around
It's the IPv6 not working on P2P games. Server based games like BF1 haven't been a problem.

@KyleW1988 wrote:
It's the IPv6 not working on P2P games. Server based games like BF1 haven't been a problem.

I was able to replicate the same issue @KyleW1988 is having with FIFA 17 on Xbox One....With Madden 17 which also uses a P2P system to my understanding /same game pub etc, I can find players no problem (just played a match, and found another one right after). I haven't had issues at all with Madden even with the older firmware.

I see you are also having the issue with NHL ? I am downloading that right now. Really enjoying my EA Access subscription right now haha  Smiley Happy

KyleW1988
I plan to stick around
Different modes in the same game use different connections. Like for NHL HUT it's P2P but in EASHL it's server based. So I can play EASHL no problem and find a team. I can't however play HUT or online versus which is P2P. Always get that failed to retrieve data message when trying to find a match in HUT

14N
I plan to stick around

got the .27 update but speed went down. If I hard reset will it not rollback to previous version

Alex4161
I'm a senior contributor

@RogersDave

I have the version 27 firmware and there are 2 issues that I notice:

5 GHZ channels going to the lower segment - After the firmware update, the modem defaults to the lower channel range on the 5 Ghz band with weaker wifi signall.  I have to manually set it to the higher version.

Loss of OFDM Channel Lock

Under some RF conditions, the modem fails to lock properly on the OFDM channel. This typically result in variable performance.

This has NOT been fixed and I am not sure why you still say that this is fixed.  It has never worked properly ever since version 24 firmware.

Now with ,27 firmware out for the coda which which modem will have less issues when it comes to udp and latency when it comes to gaming as of right now I have the rocket modem @RogersDave

@KyleW1988 wrote:
Different modes in the same game use different connections. Like for NHL HUT it's P2P but in EASHL it's server based. So I can play EASHL no problem and find a team. I can't however play HUT or online versus which is P2P. Always get that failed to retrieve data message when trying to find a match in HUT

Interesting points, wont hog the thread to much on this (interested in hearing more .27 feedback :P) . I was doing some reading on multiplayer gaming architecture & P2P networking. A good reads is this article which touches on how to create your own P2P game here & a powerpoint deck dating back to 2009 used to pitch multiplayer gaming solutions found here

As we see the current solutions in place are either client server or P2P. From my reading, gaming providers are either using a P2P solution which involves having a matchmaking server in place, so users can find others "peers" . Once you find a peer(s), one player will be marked as the host & a P2P connection is established to "run" the game online.  A client server solution is pretty straight forward as it involves the server basically "hosting" the online match.

What your post has indicated is the EA is using a hybrid approach for different game modes & there is no consistency between sports games. Which would be unique & slightly off standard in regards to picking one solution. @KyleW1988 May I ask how you came about that information? I did a lot browsing on the EA forums and see other are coming to this conclusion as well but have yet to see official schematics / information that EA does this. Would be great for validation purposes. Just curious.

I am unsure why EA would used a client server solution w match making for a game like Madden 17(Football) , for player vs players matches. Then for NHL 17(Hockey) have a P2P solution with a match making server in place, for player to player matches.  

What my testing shows is that when IPV6 is enabled and you try to play a player to player match in FIFA 17 & NHL 17  you are unable to find matches. With IPV6 enabled and trying to play a player to player matches on Madden 17 you can find matches.

Is it simply that Madden has much more players with IPV6 so I able to find matches, opposed to FIFA 17 & NHL 17 which may have a smaller number ? Or is it that the matching making server for NHL/FIFA is failing to link IPV6 players together ? Does the matching making server have the ability to recognize a dual stack network & default to your IPV4 address when not being able to find an IPV6 player ? This question would be part of a larger conversation on the network / server level.

We would need to look at this use case, troubleshoot & do some root cause analysis to determine the problem. 

@Datalink @RogersDave

KyleW1988
I plan to stick around
This is what is on EA support.
If you're having frequent disconnections on a peer-to-peer connection, it's possible that your network is using newer IPv6 IP addresses rather than the more common (and previously standard) IPv4 type.
IPv4 IP addresses are 32-bit numerical strings separated by periods. For example, 192.168.1.1
IPv6 IP addresses are 128-bit hexadecimal strings separated by colons. For example, 2001:0db8:85a3:0000:0000:8a2e:0370:7334
Unfortunately, IPv6 and IPv4 are not yet at the point where they work well together on peer-to-peer connections. If you find that you lose your connection every time you play against a particular friend or whenever you join a match, chances are that you or your opponent are using IPv6.
You may need to speak to your ISP if you suspect this is the case, as they can advise you on any hardware or router firmware changes you might need to make to switch to IPv4 for gaming.
I have read about them using hybrid systems in games. I guess it's just cheaper to not provide a server when you don't need too. Madden may have more players and they provide servers for hosting which would be a P2P game. Also FIfa and NHL are made by EA sports Canada. Madden is made by EA Sports in the U.S. So maybe they set it up differently for hosting matches. Who knows I'm just speculating.

Thanks @KyleW1988

Your information has been very helpful & I have provided Dave with my testing results/assessment from this weekend. Good thing with .27 is you have the option to disable so there is a workaround. The fact that EA Canada runs FIFA/NHL while EA in the US runs Madden is the point that is of great interest as it can mean they are using different matching making systems/server configs.

Check out this Netcode Analysis video done on the game Rocket League here and one on COD here. Watch the beginning info as it will give you an understanding of how P2P networking works with games compared to dedicated servers. As we can see Rocket League is using dedicated servers while COD is using a method that prefer use of the dedicated server but can also fallback to P2P. No videos on the Netcode Analysis for EA Sports games unfortunately .

4kgigabitguy

Mythen
I plan to stick around
Coda on .27

Mythen
I plan to stick around

Not sure how to share the rogers speed test.  What does the community think of the DSL reports one?

StephKitty
I plan to stick around

@RogersDave Would I be able to get a push of the .27 firmware for my CODA?  I've been having some really horrible experiences with my connection for the last month and a half.  

I've called Rogers numerous times and the Techs are pretty helpful, but can't seem to figure out the issues.  It comes and goes, but my gigabit connection only seems to give me speeds between 250-500Mbps down and between 4-10Mbps up.  I'm assuming it's the Firmware updates I got recently (.24 & .26T2) that's been causing my issues.  Before this I seemed to have a pretty solid and steady connection (with the problems being mostly hardware related).  

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks @RogersDave

@StephKitty wrote:

@RogersDave Would I be able to get a push of the .27 firmware for my CODA?  I've been having some really horrible experiences with my connection for the last month and a half. 

@StephKitty, firmware 2.0.10.27 is only available through the Rogers Firmware Trial Program at this point. To register, simply follow the instructions in this post.

Once your registration is completed, you should receive the firmware within a few days.

Dave

Alex4161
I'm a senior contributor
@RogersDave, @Datalink

Can one of you please comment on my post as it would be nice to know if you are aware of these OFDM issues and when they can be resolved. It is pretty annoying to have your modem connection drop off in the middle of things.

jgamm
I'm here a lot
After a day of testing with 0.27 with two online games, I am still experiencing bufferbloat. The latency in games is much more stable but I am still experiencing packet loss and substantial spikes on Rogers nodes, just much less frequently. I can also confirm that I also got a score of D on the bufferbloat test on dslreports. When I connect to a VPN I am able to maintain a stable connection with 0 packet loss. If there's any thing I can do to help, point me in the direction and I'll be happy to provide some info.