Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CODA-4582 - Open Issues for Investigation

RogersDave
Retired Support
Retired Support

*** This post was last edited May 2, 2017 ***

Good morning Community,

As I mentioned in a post two days ago, we have received the next firmware 2.0.10.20 from Hitron. We are currently running initial testing on this version and will push it out to participants in the firmware trial program as soon as it passes initial testing.

However, while running these tests, we discovered abnormal behavior with ICMP and are awaiting feedback from Hitron today to asses how this will be addressed. As soon as I this is confirmed, I’ll update the change log with the correct version information and start pushing it out.

In parallel, we are still working on the following high priority items. In some cases below, I requested affected customers to reach out to me via private message. If you do so, please include your modem MAC address in the subject line (even if we exchange messages daily) as there are a lot of you reaching out to me daily 🙂

UDP Packet Loss

The investigation for what has been reported as UDP packet loss is still ongoing. We have deployed a probe at one fellow forum member on both a CODA-4582 and a CGNM-3552 to collect additional data. We are actively working with Hitron and Intel on the results observed.

Based on what we know so far, in most instances UDP packet loss is coupled with higher uplink usage in the area. Although the impact is noticeable in specific logs (League of Legends), the root cause for the perceivable impact (while playing) is likely related to bufferbloat (see next issue).

Bufferbloat

When comparing the performance of a CODA-4582 to a CGNM-3552 in the same network conditions, the CODA-4582 consistently reports higher bufferbloat when tested on DSLReports.

Update April 12: The solution for this problem will come in two folds. It will require a change in software which will possibly be included in 2.0.10.27 but more likely in 2.0.10.28 and a change in network configuration.

The network configuration change is not compatible with the current firmware so this change will only come after a vast majority of the modems are running the new code. We are however looking at a way to make the change only for specific modems to support testing in the community.

Update April 22: This problem seems resolved in firmware 2.0.10.27

5 GHz WiFi Low range for channels 36 to 48

Lower WiFi channels on the modem have a much smaller range. This is due in part to the limit imposed by Industry Canada to maximum transmit power.

Furthermore, the current automatic channel selection (auto mode) tends to select the lower channels when in similar load conditions.

Workaround: manually select higher channels (149-153-157-161)

Update April 22: The channel selection algorithm has been improved in firmware 2.0.10.27

Loss of OFDM Channel Lock

Under some RF conditions, the modem fails to lock properly on the OFDM channel. This typically result in variable performance.

Update April 12: This problem is resolved in 2.0.10.26T2

List of connected device does not get fully populated

This is a known issue that has been tracked since firmware 2.0.10.13. We are making improvements at every firmware but it is not a perfect system.

The situation is worst after a reboot or firmware upgrade as the list gets reset and must be repopulated as devices renew their DHCP lease.

NAT Loopback not working for wired clients

When setting up port forwarding to an internal server, it is possible for a client on WiFi to reach the server using the external IP/port. If the client is on a wired interface, it doesn't work.

Update April 12: This problem is resolved in 2.0.10.26T2 (not confirmed)

LAN Counters not working

Some customers reported that LAN counters (especially in bridge mode) are reporting inaccurate values.

This problem has been reported to Hitron for investigation.

Unexpected modem reboot

Some customers reported their modem reboots unexpectedly. We have also seen this behavior in our lab.

Update April 12: This problem is resolved in 2.0.10.26T2

Missing SC-QAM Channels

After a reboot, some modems are missing SC-QAM channels. A fix has been implemented in 2.0.10.26T2 to address this behavior but it has not corrected all scenarios.

Investigation continues with Hitron.

WiFi Survey

The WiFi Survey functionality in firmware 2.0.10.26T2 (and possibly before) reports incorrect SSID names.

Guest Network

When connecting to the Guest Network, an error message is displayed "only allow DHCP client to use this wireless".  This has been reported in firmware 2.0.10.26T2.

Update April 22: This issue has been resolved in firmware 2.0.10.27

Update May 2: It seems this issue is not fully resolved and still experienced by some users

Future Planned Improvements

The following are items that we are working on in parallel of the above.

• Improvement in WiFi speeds
  • Improvement in latency / bufferbloat

Dave

*Edited Labels*

2,620 REPLIES 2,620

Re: CODA-4582 - Open Issues for Investigation

@Kdurantulla

@Kdurantulla wrote:
Ok. I See.

So lets say I have my CODA router and the 2nd floor and then add another router(connected wired) to the main floor. Would that give me a better range?.

If that works, Would I be able to connect a switch to the basement from the 2nd router?.

So pretty much my connection would look like this wired. MODEM > ROUTER > SWITCH.

And the CODA would cover the 2nd floor wifi and router would cover the main floor wifi.

Does this make sense?.

You can connected a router to the CODA, just run a cat6 wire from the modem to the router, and set the router into 

"Access Point Mode" 

JohnBeaudin
I'm a senior contributor

looks like .24 is final? 

We haven't heard anything and it's been completely dead quiet since the release, anyone can confirm?

Mythen
I plan to stick around
@Datalink @RogersDave

This wireless frequently disconnecting is seriously getting on my nerves. Pixels and also now I noticed our Acer tablets are doing the same thing. I need a resolution to this. Disabling ipv6 on any Android can't be done without rooting the device.

Please help

JohnBeaudin
I'm a senior contributor

@Mythen

I haven't seen Dave post Anything for nearly 2 weeks, not sure if he's on vacation or if he's assigned to other duties and don't have enough time to login to the forums.

I wish there would be more than just 1 employee communicating with us, as soon as Dave is missing we are in the complete darkness without any hope.

Mythen
I plan to stick around
@JohnBeaudin

Yeah we need someone here that's in a position to help us with some of these issues. Calling support is a waist of time

JohnBeaudin
I'm a senior contributor

Calling support or chat, they won't even know what we're talking about. They have no clue what is firmware update let alone have any idea what's going here so yeah.. having another person with Dave's knowledge on the forum would be great.

Triple_Helix
I plan to stick around

Only 2 issues I continue to see.

1. Mobile devices keep dropping the 5G Wi-Fi signal

2. Upload speed is not consistent

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Mythen
I plan to stick around
I did some more testing. Seems it's the 5ghz that's dropping in all devices. 2.4 seems fine. Tested on Acer tablet, 2 pixel XL's and a S4

Triple_Helix
I plan to stick around

@Mythen wrote:
I did some more testing. Seems it's the 5ghz that's dropping in all devices. 2.4 seems fine. Tested on Acer tablet, 2 pixel XL's and a S4

I will try 2.4 but as you say there is still a problem with 5G and mobile devices.

Alex4161
I'm a senior contributor

@Mythen @RogersDave

The IP6 addresses are causing issues on devices where 5 Ghz is used.  The worst part is that you can't turn off this feature on the MODEM or on the devices.

Mythen
I plan to stick around
Yeah I was aware of that. That's when the issues with my wifi started happening. I have no recourse. I am not spending 200 bucks for a router

Jeffj
I plan to stick around

@Alex4161 wrote:

@Mythen @RogersDave

The IP6 addresses are causing issues on devices where 5 Ghz is used.  The worst part is that you can't turn off this feature on the MODEM or on the devices.

Turning off IPV6 on th device should fix this issue,

For android which seems to be the major one. In a root shell do  

“echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv6/conf/wlan0/disable_ipv6” no quotes

Triple_Helix
I plan to stick around

@Triple_Helix wrote:

Only 2 issues I continue to see.

1. Mobile devices keep dropping the 5G Wi-Fi signal

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

AccordXTC
I'm a reliable contributor

@Triple_Helix seeing how Rogers has lowered the upload to 30Mbps on Gigabit package, anything over that is a huge plus.

I'm lucky if I even break 700Mbps download and 30Mbps upload

As for WiFi speeds, you'll find getting your own router will quickly resolve this issue forever. I'm running an Asus RT-AC88U and get between 400-500Mbps on my 5Ghz connection.

@AccordXTC

Well, assuming that the persons wireless card on the device can support the speeds properly as well, etc 🙂

That is one big thing that MANY users dont always take into consideration.

Sure the device may have an N or AC capable card.. but may only be 2.4 and not have 5.  But even with that.. a single antena vs multi, etc.. there are a bunch of different factors.

markopas
I plan to stick around

@Gdkitty wrote:

@AccordXTC

Well, assuming that the persons wireless card on the device can support the speeds properly as well, etc 🙂

That is one big thing that MANY users dont always take into consideration.

Sure the device may have an N or AC capable card.. but may only be 2.4 and not have 5.  But even with that.. a single antena vs multi, etc.. there are a bunch of different factors.

Let's face the facts here, the HITRON is a subpar wireless router at best, as a cable modem it's pretty spiffy.

You can see with all the different results people are having serious issues and all the ones not complaining are the ones who have the HITRON in bridge mode.  Adding a PROPER wireless router fixes all the issues.  

I was doing ok on the HITRON compared to everyone else pre-.23 firmware with the exception that my DLINK router issue would only start working post-.19 firmware and the wireless signals were horrible.  After the transition to the new (beta) firmware I instantly switched to the bridge mode and re-enabled my DLINK DIR-895L to resume it's previous duties prior to the CODA release, once I did that all my troubles went away.  I now have flawless wired and wireless connections.

With me living in a 5-storey town house and the HITRON sitting on the third floor this way there is an even distribution of wireless signal.  Before, the HITRON could not even reach one floor above on the opposite side of the house on the 5Ghz network, most of the time the signal would switch/bounce to the 2.4Ghz network automatically but then I was dealing with excellent signal but horrendous speeds - felt like I was back on dialup and not the 56K baud modem speeds either.

Rogers sent out a press release back in Mid-December about the partnership with COMCAST and their X1 technology.  I could see this being the death of the HITRON and the rise of something great to come.

Mythen
I plan to stick around
No offense to anyone here but I am not going out to buy a 200 dollar router for something that's supposed to work. Right now the 5 GHz band is unusable

JohnBeaudin
I'm a senior contributor

Hilton is garbage, I hope Rogers finally got it , I know they looking for COST EFFECTIVE modems.. but as customers we deserve more than this.

Mythen
I plan to stick around
I just happen to know a nice bit about the x1 platform. It's great as long as your line levels are almost perfect. The modems they use have not great wi-fi service.

JohnBeaudin
I'm a senior contributor

@Mythen

We're already used to not great wifi with Hiltron lol .. so I guess we will keep going in that direction.

Sounds like you rogers peeps are gonna be using the comcast XB6 gateway sometime mid 2017, I have a feeling Shaw is going to be going in this direction too.