CODA-4582 - Open Issues for Investigation

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: CODA-4582 - Open Issues for Investigation

@markopas wrote:

@Triple_Helix wrote:

WoW What a change this morning, why can't it be this way all the time.

Now you're really making me jealous 😞 

But the Upload is all over the place.

Microsoft® MVP Windows Insider - Windows Security
I Plan to Stick Around

UPNP doesn't work. Probably like two firmwares ago it was working but i've came to the conclusion it doesn't work after endless troubleshooting. Xbox one doesn't port map and various computer software as well.

I Plan to Stick Around

I would disable UPNP, its the first thing I do whenever configuring router /gateway / firewall.

I have never understood how manufacturers ever accepted to include such a horrible thing on a device with the main mandate to protect your internal network. How is it that anyone thought this would be a good idea? allowing just about anything inside your network to open ports on your firewal? UPNP is ust a disaster waiting to happen...

Just imagine getting some virus on your PC while cheking your email at Starbucks, then going home and that virus opening your network to the whole world, ports like SMB and suddenly anyone has access to your files, etc.

Not good..

I've Been Here Awhile

I am also experiencing constant wireless connection drops running on .24. Wired seems completely fine. Never had this issue on .19
I Plan to Stick Around

Rebooting by itself again today on .24 firmware.
I'm a Reliable Contributor

@Cannon @RogersDave

The wireless devices connection drops are linked to the IP6 functionality. If you turn off IP6, the wifi issues are resolved.
I'm a Regular

Bridge the darn thing and use a much better 3rd party router. Mine is bridged with an Asus RT-AC68U and I don't have any problems - WiFi, IPv6, etc...all working well.
I Plan to Stick Around

@toolcubed wrote:
Bridge the darn thing and use a much better 3rd party router. Mine is bridged with an Asus RT-AC68U and I don't have any problems - WiFi, IPv6, etc...all working well.

Completely agree - at best the HITRON is a good cable modem but that's about it.  I would be more than happy if I could go back to .19 firmware if you can make my DLINK work on that version since everything worked well except for my router 😞 

I Plan to Stick Around

@Lumute wrote:

I would disable UPNP, its the first thing I do whenever configuring router /gateway / firewall.

I have never understood how manufacturers ever accepted to include such a horrible thing on a device with the main mandate to protect your internal network. How is it that anyone thought this would be a good idea? allowing just about anything inside your network to open ports on your firewal? UPNP is ust a disaster waiting to happen...

Just imagine getting some virus on your PC while cheking your email at Starbucks, then going home and that virus opening your network to the whole world, ports like SMB and suddenly anyone has access to your files, etc.

Not good..

UPnP is absolutly fine as long as the router firmware is current and done well. You example is a pretty fringe case, and viruses liek that just dont do that type of stuff any more in the wild. Its 99% malware that uses commonly opend ports anyways (port 80, 25 and such) and use it to either join you to a bot net or to send out spam.

Ive been working in IT as a tech for the last 13 years, you know how many examples i have seen of what you suggested in the last 5 years? zero. Know how many examples i have seen of what I mentioned above. Hundreds. 

UPnP is also required and the only options for many services such as Xbox Live when you have more then one Xbox live client on the network. UPnP is the ONLY option for proper NAT if you are not wanting to use or cannot use IPV6 public addresses on the Xboxes for example.  Taht why "manufacturers ever accepted to include such a horrible thing" on routing. Even corporate class routers have UPnP still. Proper network setup and proper security measures make UPnP a safe, viable tool to help map ports to comon services. 

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

UPNP is a horrible thing, should be taken behind the barn and shot down after a glass of good red wine (ala Mr Wonderful). Many security experts compare it to putting a fancy lock on your door and leaving the key in the keyhole and all of them agree it should be disabled.

Not only I have seen UPNP exploited by malware, I have exploited it myself to gain access to other peoples resources (with their permission of course) while remotely troubleshooting problems, quite easy...

For example: some versions of flash allow a website to gain control of UPnP on your router/firewall by just visiting such site. Has Flash been found extremely unsecure and crapy and everyone tells you to run from it? absolutelly! yet an insane amount of websites and people still relly on flash...

The main problem? people do not really understand what UPNP does or the security implications of it, of course with proper security measures you culd run a lan without a firewall but would you recommend it?

All that said, I just wanted to give a word of advise based on my experience as I have seem too many people rellying on this without having a clue of what it does. You understand what the protocl and feel you have secured your network enough and still want to use it, go for it...