CODA-4582 - Open Issues for Investigation

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rjmaxim
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: CODA-4582 - Open Issues for Investigation

@AccordXTC wrote:

@JohnBeaudin The speed issues have been effecting Gigabit customers, people on lower speeds always will be the one to say things look great but us Gigabit users have speed issues on every firmware. Its the GTA users with Gigabit for the most part working good.

I am in GTA (Scarborough East) and NOT getting Gig speeds....Still waiting for a FIX on the Node to the CMTS server (where ever that is). Best speed achieved once was 532/32-8 to closest Rogers' Server ....but after that downhill again. Some folks in GTA are getting close to Gig speeds...but not in my area. It's plain and simple Rogers Infrastructure....Docsis 3.0 is capable to handle up to 1Gbps ....and some folks on non Coda 4582 are able to get these speeds. Docsis 3.1 is able to handle up to 10Gbps.....and once Rogers gets the infrastructure and their equipment at the headend upgraded....we can get near Bell Fibe speeds as well (hopefully this year?)

JohnBeaudin
I'm a Senior Contributor

Pretty sure it's their intention to match bell Fibe speed, since it's their competitors, they also need to match the latency or at least make it better. 

But heard it's all in the works.

MarkR1989
I've Been Around

Have there been an updates regarding the AC2600 router compatibility in bridge mode? Still not establishing an IP address. Last update on the first post said it was most likely going to be addressed on .21 in January. I'm still on .19, but seem to see lots of people on .24. Would really like to get my setup working again. I have been waiting for a few weeks for this to be addressed
rjmaxim
I Plan to Stick Around

@MarkR1989 wrote:
Have there been an updates regarding the AC2600 router compatibility in bridge mode? Still not establishing an IP address. Last update on the first post said it was most likely going to be addressed on .21 in January. I'm still on .19, but seem to see lots of people on .24. Would really like to get my setup working again. I have been waiting for a few weeks for this to be addressed

Look at page 1 for updated fixes. Here's the one of interest to you. 

Issues getting an IP in bridge mode

We have been able to reproduce this on D-Link routers. It is an bug in the D-Link firmware (DD-WRT doesn’t have the bug) but we are looking at ways to mitigate it from the modem side.

If this issue occurs routers other than D-Link, let me know as I’ll need to investigate further.

Also reported but not tested on: TPLink C2600 and Netgear WNR2000v5

Update Jan 10: A problem was identified in the way D-Link routers are executing a DHCP request and a workaround is being put in place. The fix will likely address the TP-Link case as well. This fix will be included in firmware 2.0.10.21.

Telek
I Plan to Stick Around

@JohnBeaudin wrote:

Pretty sure it's their intention to match bell Fibe speed, since it's their competitors, they also need to match the latency or at least make it better. 

But heard it's all in the works.

On the speed, yes, they have to compete, but don't forget that Bell's reach for gigabit is tiny in comparison to Rogers' cable network reach.

On the latency, I'd wager than 99% of Rogers' customers don't care if latency is 25ms or 5ms. They won't notice a difference.  90% of users probably wouldn't even notice 75ms vs 25ms latency.  Now gigabit users are a different breed, so I'm not entirely sure what the priorities will be here.

JohnBeaudin
I'm a Senior Contributor

I can see on this forum many people complaints about latency, and with the new generation there will be more gamers and even more people that will care about latency, better fix it now and stay competitive.

rk72
I've Been Here Awhile

Quick question - I am on .24 now and this is by far one of the most stable connections I have had with this modem. Previously I had been unable to use my DLink router in bridge mode. If I try to do this now and it doesnt work for any reason, will a factory reset set me back to .13 or .24? Thank you.

Telek
I Plan to Stick Around

@JohnBeaudin wrote:

I can see on this forum many people complaints about latency, and with the new generation there will be more gamers and even more people that will care about latency, better fix it now and stay competitive.

Except, relative to the total number of subscribers, the couple dozen people here are completely negligable.

Rogers' network reaches 4 million homes. They have about 2 million TV subscribers, and I'd estimate about 1.6 million cable internet subscribers based on what I can find.

Keep in mind that the current latency is already acceptable in most cases, for the vast majority of players. Could it be better? Yes. But there's still a fraction of a percent that this would affect. Cost/benefit may not dictate that it's worth doing anything about.

JohnBeaudin
I'm a Senior Contributor

We're already working on improving the routing so we get a much better latency on us servers, and also fix for udp to come in next firmware versions that will help in there as well.

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@rk72 a factory reset will reload the default settings and reboot back into Gateway mode with .24 running.  To move to any other version, either up or down, takes another firmware load from the CMTS.   You would know if that happened.  If you want to switch the modem from Bridge mode to Gateway mode, you can log into the modem in Bridge mode using 192.168.100.1   Then navigate to the BASIC .... RESIDENTIAL GATEWAY page and enable the Residential Gateway Function.  The modem will reboot back into Gateway mode with its previous settings intact so you don't have to reset everything just because you switched back to Gateway mode. 

If you had .24 loaded onto your modem today, run a modem restart at the very least, that is, pull the power, wait for 30 seconds and plug the modem back in again to force a restart.  If you have any issues, you can always run a factory reset, which should ensure that the modem operates as it is intended with the current firmware load.