CODA-4582 - Open Issues for Investigation

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: CODA-4582 - Open Issues for Investigation

There is every reason to bash Rogers. I am not bashing there employee who I have had pleasant experience with and I can't blame them.

I am done being patient and wait. We live in 21st century. It should not take more than 20 secs to send a simple text email or google search something.

Patience is the reason they are taking it slow to solve this issue. They are aware and I am sure they are trying to improve our experience. But they need to push it hard and fast. Not take it easy.

Edit: Took me about 15 secs to post this reply. I could post faster with Dial Up.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@prateeck7 wrote:

Patience is the reason they are taking it slow to solve this issue. They are aware and I am sure they are trying to improve our experience. But they need to push it hard and fast. Not take it easy.

I've said this before, but a big part of the problem is that Rogers likes to push the envelope, unlike U.S. MSOs that are happy selling lower-speed packages with ancient technology.

This CODA-4582, for example - unless @Datalink has heard otherwise, I believe it's the ONLY DOCSIS 3.1 gateway, or at least the only Puma 7 one (I have heard of D3.1 modems, not sure about D3.1 gateways), currently actively deployed by a cable operator in North America.

Meanwhile, U.S. operators are barely running 24-channel bonded D3.0... which Rogers was doing over 3 years ago. Most of their customers are still running 8/16-channel D3 modems. It would not surprise me if Rogers was the only MSO in North America currently running D3.1 in production...

The other problem, too, is Rogers' perpetual optimism. Someone very optimistic decided to have a big campaign to get 3552 gigabit customers to replace their 3552s with the 4582s ASAP so they could reallocate some network capacity from 3.0 and be able to launch 3.1... but then, it turns out the 4582 has more bugs than the 3552. I think they probably wish they had delayed that campaign by 2-3 months now...

(Also, one suggestion to everyone at Rogers who reads this: why not consider having a 'public' hardware beta program like the firmware beta program? the logistics of getting beta hardware to testers might be a bit challenging, but I think you could find a couple dozen people around here, at least, willing to try out the new devices...)

I'm a Reliable Contributor

I'm pretty frustrated as well b/c of how much problems I'm experiencing. I really wish Rogers & Hitron took the time to nail out the bugs before creating this mess.

My problems with the CODA-4582:

• UDP Packet loss (PLEASE get this fixed it's super annoying in latency sensative games)
  • dowlink + uplink LEDs on D3.0 are incredibly bright, especially at night. (please dim it)
  • after reboot/reset of modem LAN port negociates at 0.5-1mbps w/ computer (I would have to restart my computer every time for the modem to negociate at 1Gbps)
  • 2.4Ghz + 5Ghz range performance is bad; needs to be improved greatly

I understand that Hitron and Rogers a using all their resources to fix the speed slowdown bug, but why hasn't Hitron done some extensive testing before shipping the modems out to Rogers?  Also, why not reach out to the community for some beta testers before the modems are shipped to all the consumers??? Comast had done this with before deploying D3.1 along with their technicolor line of modems.

I think it's time to get an official update on the progress with this modem. We've waited a good amount of time, and it would really help to give the community some ETAs on when some of the problems will be adressed.

Don't forget Rogers will be launching a new D3.1 modem by mid-2017 which will be obtained by Comast.... so hopefully things are much better on that modem.

I have to agree with Ryzen here the UDP packet loss really needs to be fixed.

Hopefully it will be on the list for new firmware updates @RogersDave 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

RyzenFX wrote:I understand that Hitron and Rogers a using all their resources to fix the speed slowdown bug, but why hasn't Hitron done some extensive testing before shipping the modems out to Rogers? 

One thing I would love to understand is how much of the code on these things is Intel vs Hitron. If most of these bugs are Intel's bugs, then... that's an additional level of complexity.

But we're back at the fundamental problem here: I think Rogers decided to rush the CODA-4582 into the field because they thought it would be better than the Puma 6 gateways with their latency issues. This may have also been Hitron's opinion if they had no luck getting a fix for Puma 6 problems from Intel (it's worth noting they were on this issue months before Arris). Anyone remember how excited @RogersDave sounded when he announced the 4582?

I remember indeed.

And with the current silence for weeks I think it's becoming more and more clear that they might not be able to fix the latency issue at all, or not any time soon.

@VivienM wrote:

RyzenFX wrote:I understand that Hitron and Rogers a using all their resources to fix the speed slowdown bug, but why hasn't Hitron done some extensive testing before shipping the modems out to Rogers? 

One thing I would love to understand is how much of the code on these things is Intel vs Hitron. If most of these bugs are Intel's bugs, then... that's an additional level of complexity.

But we're back at the fundamental problem here: I think Rogers decided to rush the CODA-4582 into the field because they thought it would be better than the Puma 6 gateways with their latency issues. This may have also been Hitron's opinion if they had no luck getting a fix for Puma 6 problems from Intel (it's worth noting they were on this issue months before Arris). Anyone remember how excited @RogersDave sounded when he announced the 4582?

If I remember correctly, Dave told me that the UDP packet loss is Intel's bug. Intel's IoT devision which is responsible for fixing the problem is located in Israel, so conversations b/w Rogers, Intel, and Hitron are extremely slow... I remember when Dave was excited to announce the 4582. Those were the good days, but now it's back to fixing lots and lots of bugs.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

@JohnBeaudin do the other modems Rogers offers have latency issues? I am down to switch cause at this point I don't even care anymore. 

@crazyshot  Yes, the other modems (CGN3 series, and CGNM) series are all plagued by the Puma 6 latency problem. However, it hasn't affected my gameplay in League of Legends at all. 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@JohnBeaudin wrote:

I remember indeed.

And with the current silence for weeks I think it's becoming more and more clear that they might not be able to fix the latency issue at all, or not any time soon.

Are you talking about the Puma 6 latency issue, or latency issues with the 4582?

I'm not sure about the Puma 6 issue; I'm sure Arris and other manufacturers with lots and lots of Puma 6 inventory in the U.S. must be pushing Intel for a fix on that one.

Coming on PPV!
Real Madrid vs. Atlético (Athletic) Bilbao Live
LIVE: Saturday April 21, 2019 10AM ET
Countdown: 8:00 PM ET
Channels: 348 (HD) | 350 (SD) | Ignite TV 499 | 391 (beIN English) 392 (beIN Spanish)
Price: $5.99 (HD) | $5.99 (SD) | Ignite TV $5.99 | (beIN subscription $14.99/mo.)
Ignite TV & DTV customers can order now!

Real Madrid faces Athletic Bilbao in a regular la liga league soccer match. Subscribe to beIN Sports for $14.99/mo. to get the game and more La Liga and international Sporting events.

Crawford vs. Khan Live
LIVE: Saturday April 20, 2019 9PM ET
Countdown: 8:00 PM ET
Channels: 348 (HD) | 350 (SD) | Ignite TV 499
Price: $79.99 (HD) | $74.99 (SD) | Ignite TV $79.99
Ignite TV & DTV customers can order now!

Undefeated virtuoso Terence "Bud" Crawford (34-0, 25 KOs) will defend his welterweight world title against British boxing royalty Amir "King" Khan (33-4, 20 KOs) in a collision of superstars.