Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CODA-4582 - Open Issues for Investigation

RogersDave
Retired Support
Retired Support

*** This post was last edited May 2, 2017 ***

Good morning Community,

As I mentioned in a post two days ago, we have received the next firmware 2.0.10.20 from Hitron. We are currently running initial testing on this version and will push it out to participants in the firmware trial program as soon as it passes initial testing.

However, while running these tests, we discovered abnormal behavior with ICMP and are awaiting feedback from Hitron today to asses how this will be addressed. As soon as I this is confirmed, I’ll update the change log with the correct version information and start pushing it out.

In parallel, we are still working on the following high priority items. In some cases below, I requested affected customers to reach out to me via private message. If you do so, please include your modem MAC address in the subject line (even if we exchange messages daily) as there are a lot of you reaching out to me daily 🙂

UDP Packet Loss

The investigation for what has been reported as UDP packet loss is still ongoing. We have deployed a probe at one fellow forum member on both a CODA-4582 and a CGNM-3552 to collect additional data. We are actively working with Hitron and Intel on the results observed.

Based on what we know so far, in most instances UDP packet loss is coupled with higher uplink usage in the area. Although the impact is noticeable in specific logs (League of Legends), the root cause for the perceivable impact (while playing) is likely related to bufferbloat (see next issue).

Bufferbloat

When comparing the performance of a CODA-4582 to a CGNM-3552 in the same network conditions, the CODA-4582 consistently reports higher bufferbloat when tested on DSLReports.

Update April 12: The solution for this problem will come in two folds. It will require a change in software which will possibly be included in 2.0.10.27 but more likely in 2.0.10.28 and a change in network configuration.

The network configuration change is not compatible with the current firmware so this change will only come after a vast majority of the modems are running the new code. We are however looking at a way to make the change only for specific modems to support testing in the community.

Update April 22: This problem seems resolved in firmware 2.0.10.27

5 GHz WiFi Low range for channels 36 to 48

Lower WiFi channels on the modem have a much smaller range. This is due in part to the limit imposed by Industry Canada to maximum transmit power.

Furthermore, the current automatic channel selection (auto mode) tends to select the lower channels when in similar load conditions.

Workaround: manually select higher channels (149-153-157-161)

Update April 22: The channel selection algorithm has been improved in firmware 2.0.10.27

Loss of OFDM Channel Lock

Under some RF conditions, the modem fails to lock properly on the OFDM channel. This typically result in variable performance.

Update April 12: This problem is resolved in 2.0.10.26T2

List of connected device does not get fully populated

This is a known issue that has been tracked since firmware 2.0.10.13. We are making improvements at every firmware but it is not a perfect system.

The situation is worst after a reboot or firmware upgrade as the list gets reset and must be repopulated as devices renew their DHCP lease.

NAT Loopback not working for wired clients

When setting up port forwarding to an internal server, it is possible for a client on WiFi to reach the server using the external IP/port. If the client is on a wired interface, it doesn't work.

Update April 12: This problem is resolved in 2.0.10.26T2 (not confirmed)

LAN Counters not working

Some customers reported that LAN counters (especially in bridge mode) are reporting inaccurate values.

This problem has been reported to Hitron for investigation.

Unexpected modem reboot

Some customers reported their modem reboots unexpectedly. We have also seen this behavior in our lab.

Update April 12: This problem is resolved in 2.0.10.26T2

Missing SC-QAM Channels

After a reboot, some modems are missing SC-QAM channels. A fix has been implemented in 2.0.10.26T2 to address this behavior but it has not corrected all scenarios.

Investigation continues with Hitron.

WiFi Survey

The WiFi Survey functionality in firmware 2.0.10.26T2 (and possibly before) reports incorrect SSID names.

Guest Network

When connecting to the Guest Network, an error message is displayed "only allow DHCP client to use this wireless".  This has been reported in firmware 2.0.10.26T2.

Update April 22: This issue has been resolved in firmware 2.0.10.27

Update May 2: It seems this issue is not fully resolved and still experienced by some users

Future Planned Improvements

The following are items that we are working on in parallel of the above.

• Improvement in WiFi speeds
  • Improvement in latency / bufferbloat

Dave

*Edited Labels*

2,620 REPLIES 2,620

Re: CODA-4582 - Open Issues for Investigation

@RogersDave

My modem keeps dropping connection AT LEAST twice a day.

A reboot fixes it, but this is getting frustrating.

First, the modem didn't work on bridge mode with my TP-Link Archer C2600 router.

Now that I'm on .23, it's working on bridge mode with my router, so thanks for fixing that.

However, I'm still having the connection dropping issues ever since I got it.

Here are the latest entires in the logs:

DOCSIS Logs
The DOCSIS event logs is shown here

No. Time Type Priority Event
1 01/28/2017 18:30:28 84020200 warning Lost MDD Timeout;CM-MAC=a8:4e:3f:XX:XX:XX;CMTS-MAC=00:17:10:XX:XX:XX;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;
2 01/28/2017 18:32:11 82000200 critical No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=a8:4e:3f:XX:XX:XX;CMTS-MAC=00:17:10:XX:XX:XX;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;
3 01/28/2017 21:07:47 84020200 warning Lost MDD Timeout;CM-MAC=a8:4e:3f:XX:XX:XX;CMTS-MAC=00:17:10:XX:XX:XX;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;

Also, I'm on the 1gbit plan but only getting 300mbits. (but upload is reaching max speeds at 50mb).

The connectivity issue is unacceptable. I have 30 days before I commit to the contract, but if the issues remain, i'll be switching back to Bell's 50mbit fiber that stays online for months at a time, much better than a 1gbit connection that drops twice a day, which is basically useless.

Kindly fix your services and modems before making them public...

PS: Are there other options for modems I can use? this CODA is clearly buggy and not ready for release. I gave up on it and I'd like to return it back. I still own a Hitron CDA3, would that work with the 1gbit plan?

Thanks.

I'm having the same issues we loose connection on all devices wired and wireless then after about 1 min we are back on

Hybrid_Noodle
I plan to stick around
@dantheman61 your ping tests will be sub par if you are doing a speed test as you are maxing out your bandwidth doing the speed test and choking out available speed to doing other things.

What were you expecting to see during these tests and why do you think it is a problem?

dantheman61
I plan to stick around

I expect to see minimal increase 5-10ms. This is a problem for online gaming if something maxed out the download during online gaming the game could lag. It also does not do this on Bell 25/10 that I tested on.

This is starting to get Anoying my internet keeps on buffering @RogersDave can you take a look and see what's going on thanks

@dantheman61 the best guess at this point is that the Bell modem has its QOS priority set so that game packets (UDP) are given a much higher priority over any TCP/IP packets.  A speedtest with www.speedtest.net is a TCP/IP speedtest.  I would say from your results that the Rogers modem QOS priority is much different.  End result, TCP/IP and UDP are given the same priority, but thats just a guess.  @RogersDave would be able to provide the specifics on the QOS priority of the Hitron modems.  On top of this, there is a problem with UDP packet loss thru the modem and latency for UDP packets for any of the CGN3 series modem and the CGNM-3552.  

You indicated that you tried this without the R7000.  What happens when you use the R7000 and set the QOS so that UDP game packets have the highest priority and TCP/IP the lowest priority?  If you end up with the same results where the ping time skyrockets, my guess would be that the R7000 isn't differentiating between UDP and TCP/IP packets.  If this is a huge issue for you, possibly the only way to resolve this is to move to Bell, or buy a managed switch were you can assign the priorities as you prefer. 

toolcubed
I'm a senior contributor
You guys likely won't see improved latency and gigabit speed until your areas are upgraded to Docsis 3.1. Firmware updates will have minimal impact as long as you're still on Docsis 3.0. For those of you who mentioned that Bell is better, it's the nature of the technology. Fibre to the home and DSL will always have lower latency and more consistent speeds compared to a shared cable infrastructure...at least until Docsis 3.1 is implemented.

soundwave80
I plan to stick around
@bfanek i would suggest exchanging the coda for a cgnm3552 at the Rogers store. I switched back to it on tuesday and my Internet is much better . Good luck

dantheman61
I plan to stick around

With the tests I showed I do have qos on I have Traditional QoS. Upload bandwidth 20mb\s and download 200mb/s. Not sure what else to set there. I have the R7000 with asuswrt-Merlin. And this might be just how Docsis 3 works. And the best way to fix this might be to switch to bell but the max download with bell I can get is 50 compared to 250mb/s

Also How do I know if my modem is in docsis 3 or 3.1. I know I can get 1gb with rogers but what is it using?  

Doesn't that ported Merlin version have the Adaptive QOS that the baseline Asus firmware has?  Maybe its been removed?  I don't believe that the traditional QOS is compatible with the NAT Acceleration either, so if you have QOS enabled, it will most likely kick off the NAT Acceleration, which then drops the router throughput.  I don't think this is a Docsis issue.  If you're running a speedtest, then you're maxing out the downstream and upstream channels.  It would appear that neither the Rogers modem, or router is differentiating between the TCP/IP stream and the ICMP stream, so, your ICMP ping test appears to suffer when either of those are fitting in the ICMP packets on a best effort basis.  Moral of the story, don't run a ping test when you're already running a speedtest.  Maybe Adaptive QOS will yield better results.  You will probably find the same results across a majority of modems and routers so this should not be a surprise.  If this is really a problem for you, then you need better control over your network with a managed switch that offers port and protocol priority.  With that available, you can set the bandwidth and protocol priority as you prefer. That's going to be a little expensive, but if that's what you're insisting on, I don't see any other way to do it.  Maybe others can chime in here with suggestions.  

As far as Docsis 3.1 on the modem, if it is up and running, the Downstream LED at the front of the modem will be cyan in colour, the Upstream LED will be blue.  In the modem's STATUS .... DOCSIS WAN page, the OFDM Downstream section will indicate one, or two channels up and running.  If both channels indicate "No", then Docsis 3.1 is not running on your modem. 

kchothani
I've been here awhile

Guys I had a ton of issues due to the new CODA Modem. However after several attempts and playing around with the settings I changed the bandwidth to 40GHZ instead of the 80GHZ and then helped to reconnect all my devices back onto the wifi without dropping connection. I also got my speed of 250 down and 20 up. @Datalink @RogersDave. Most of the devices work on the 40GHZ.  Try this setting and it should resolve the issue and one more thing setup the channel setting to the maximum for 2.4ghz and 5ghz.

Looks like my modem has rebooted 2 hrs ago, is there any interference or noice issue with my lines or modem what's going on ? Don't know if the docs 3.1 has been giving me issues or since the newest .23 update both been pushed to modem same day on Friday, since then few times a day internet drops on every devices wired and wireless but the odd thing it still shows the wifi icon and Ethernet on devices. @RogersDave @Datalink @CommunityHelps

timfolkins
I plan to stick around
Speed degradation over time

Since .23 I am experiencing this. Reboot brings it right back. If you'd like to check anything please let me know.

I did not have this before .23

Cheers.

@kchothani wrote:

Guys I had a ton of issues due to the new CODA Modem. However after several attempts and playing around with the settings I changed the bandwidth to 40GHZ instead of the 80GHZ and then helped to reconnect all my devices back onto the wifi without dropping connection. I also got my speed of 250 down and 20 up. @Datalink @RogersDave. Most of the devices work on the 40GHZ.  Try this setting and it should resolve the issue and one more thing setup the channel setting to the maximum for 2.4ghz and 5ghz.

When you changed bandwith to 40mhz, did that make your wired connection get 250 down and 20 up? For troubleshooting you should be doing speed tests using the Wired connection. Wireless has lots of variables, so it's not the best to do testing with. Since you changed it to 40mhz it sounds like one of your wireless devices has compatibility issues. I personally have 5Ghz at 80mhz, and 2.4Ghz at 20mhz, and all my devices connect at full speed and I get good speed test results. I also don't have issues with devices dropping WiFi using these settings.

Keep on getting t3 timeout why ?

timfolkins
I plan to stick around

A follow-up on the speed degredation - this happens now in just under 1 day.

Can I get put back to .19? It was working way better than this.

Help?

Alex4161
I'm a senior contributor

@RogersDave

Last evening, I was trying to browse a number of websites and the I was unable to load any pages.   I checked the logs and there was no activity listed at this time to indicate that there was any issue.  I had a Cat 6 cable plugged into my Laptop and Desktop and none of those PC's could access anything for a good 5 minutes.  I checked the signal levels and all channels were connected with no errors.

It was as if my internet connectivity just vanished but the local network was just fine.  I have the .23 version of the firmware and had my modem replaced with the new tested black dot version.  I am not sure if this is a bug with the firmware/modem and is something others have experienced.  Could it be a DNS issue where the Rogers DNS server just had a "hiccup"?

Thanks

Been getting same issue since 23 firm for no reason at all we all lose connections then websites just load but still shows wifi / Ethernet icon on all devices also notice getting t3 timeouts

traghipp
I plan to stick around

I'm sorry if this has been discussed/mentioned already but I've found significantly different results with different browsers. Consistently, Chrome returns the fastest results that are usually 300mbs faster than Safari, Firefox and/or Kylo. With Crhome I am getting anywhere between 500-700mbs dl speeds. With the other browsers I get between 250-350mbs dl speeds.

All tests have been run on speedtest.net. My computer is connected directly to the Coda Modem using Cat6 cable. I'm on the gigabit/50ul plan.

Alex4161
I'm a senior contributor

@traghipp

Are you sure you are selecting the SAME speedtest server or just loading the page and running a test?  Changing servers can make a HUGE difference depending on the server load and their performance.  

To select the server, just go to http://www.speedtest.net/ and click on the highlighted dots to find a server that is close to you.  In Toronto, I tend to use the Beanfield server. 

StephKitty
I plan to stick around

@RogersDave I'm on firmware 2.0.10.19 and lately i've noticed my speeds deteriorating throughout the day.  For example, i've gone from downloads of 800+Mbps and uploads of 30Mbps to about 30Mbps down and 5+Mbps up in the span of two days.

The only solution is to reboot the modem to get back the speeds.  What's the deal here?  I've spoken to a Rogers rep, and was told that all CODA-4582 modems (original and black dot versions) have been recalled.  This is the first i'm hearing of this.  Also was told that I can't just trade in my modem because there is no availability due to demand and the recall.  The only solution she could provide me was to have the "Rogers Engineers" push a firmware update to 2.0.10.23 which would fix the issues of the recall. I thought we were still testing 2.0.10.20??  Very confused. 

I have the original CODA-4582 non-black dot version on a Rogers Gigabit connection.