CODA-4582 - Open Issues for Investigation

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Re: CODA-4582 - Open Issues for Investigation

@Lumute

You can just do a test at https://www.grc.com/default.htm to see how solid the UPNP is.  I didn't come across any issues running it on mine.  That is not to say that it is bulletproof, but a no issue result from the scan is a good thing.

That being said, this is an interesting link as well:  https://www.grc.com/unpnp/unpnp.htm

I've Been Here Awhile

I just signed up for the gigabit plan and my modem is Hitron CODA-4582.

I get great speed when connected wired but the wireless is really really weak.

I get about 25 mbps dowload wireless beside the modem. With wired I get about 900+ mbps download.

Does the modem have a bad wifi? Do I need a second router?. 

I'm a Trusted Contributor

It was UPnP which allowed the IoT devices to bring down Dyn. UPnP is a pretty big security risk.

I Plan to Stick Around

So I got a text message last week from rogers stating that in order to continue to get the best from my sevice, I'll need a modem upgrade. At the time I was using the the Hitron CGN3ACR (The one that has AC on the front side panel) it came with it's issues but surely enough after updating to the latest trial firmware most issues have been resolved, that being said I couldn't resist knowing there's a more "advanced" modem out there without trying it in hopes it's everything I currently have and more (better, more predictable/reliable speeds and ping etc) everything was looking great at first. I was getting better download speeds but still not close to what I pay for, upload speeds have gotten worse. less than half what it should be, not sure if this is due to the modem or just plain rogers buffoonery. Pings were improved but sadly the wifi signal is weak compared to my last modem. I can't get any connection to the rooms furthest from the modem on the second floor and this wasn't a problem with my last modem... Does the trial firmware adjust this issue? I was told this new modem (CODA-4582) was suppose to be superior to the last, is there a setting I could change to improve this or is the predecessor really better in terms of wifi signal strength.

I've Been Here Awhile

Ever since switching to CODA-4582 (and maybe after .24), I noticed that while browsing the internet (I usually use Chrome), sometimes a new tab will open (not sure if it is by itself or in response to a link click) with the URL of go.microsoft.com/login.html, but it will instead show the CODA modem login page.  Anyone know why this happens?

It doesn't seem to be occurring in relation to anything in the Event Log because the UTC times in the log don't seem to match up with the occurrences. So on a side note, I've also been getting these errors and critical events:

Error: DHCP RENEW WARNING - Field invalid in response v4 option; 

Critical: No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out; 

They both end with CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;

Thanks

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@ed1234 

@rogrs_da_best wrote:

Ever since switching to CODA-4582 (and maybe after .24), I noticed that while browsing the internet (I usually use Chrome), sometimes a new tab will open (not sure if it is by itself or in response to a link click) with the URL of go.microsoft.com/login.html, but it will instead show the CODA modem login page.  Anyone know why this happens?

It doesn't seem to be occurring in relation to anything in the Event Log because the UTC times in the log don't seem to match up with the occurrences. So on a side note, I've also been getting these errors and critical events:

Error: DHCP RENEW WARNING - Field invalid in response v4 option; 

Critical: No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out; 

They both end with CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;

Thanks

that login page is the setup page for the CODA. I would suggest performing a factory reset on the modem. Use a Pen tip or to press and hold the reset button on the back of the modem for 20 seconds then let go. 

After 2 minutes the modem should be booted up, then open a web browser on your computer and it should automatically take you to that login page. setup the modem through that page and you should be good.

@Kdurantulla

It would be helpful if you can give us some more information like:

What is the make/model of the computer you have

What type of wireless network card do you have

Are you using 2.4 Ghz or 5 Ghz?

What settings do you have on the Rogers modem for 2.4 Ghz and 5 Ghz

Did you run a site survey to see if you are using a channel that is already used in your neighbourhood.

Please keep in mind that with wired connections, you will get great speeds (as you have mentioned).  With wireless, the "base" connection will give you Internet access but the speed will not be that good.  To get the most out of wireless with the Rogers Router/Modem (or any device for that matter), you have to spend some time to tweak it.  My suggestions would be as follows:

- Turn of the 2.4 Ghz and use 5 Ghz only (assuming all your wireless devices are using that).  If your wifi on your computer does not have 5 Ghz, I would suggest you upgrade the wifi card.  The Max speed you can get on 2.4 Ghz (properly configured) is about 120 Mbps which is rare if you are on the same channel as your neighbour and have a poor wifi card.

- Turn on 80 Mhz frequency for 5 Ghz and use the higher channels (149+) as they use higher power and better throughput

- Make sure that you are using WPA2 encryption

These settings will give you much better performance.  I have a older laptop with an upgraded wifi (intel AC) and get over 500 Mbps with the above settings. 

The coda-4582 doesn't perform as well as it should on League Of Legends when compared to the CGNM-3552.

So I switched from the CODA-4582 down to the CGNM-3552 today to see if it would make a difference in League of Legends and WOW, I can definitley say that the CODA-4582 has some problems.

• The problems that could be plaguing the CODA-4582 are the UDP packet loss, or could the modem be a bit more sensitive?

Obervations---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. One thing I noticed right away  was that the CGNM-3552's upstream signal strength was stronger than the CODA-4582. On the 3552 I'm getting a signal strength between 35-36 and on the 4582, 31-32.

Speed tests on the CGNM-3552 dramatically improved; the upload graph was constant and perfectly linear. On the 4582 the fluctuations were crazy.

• Speed test (http://speedcheck.rogers.com/en.html) graphs on the CGNM-3552 was much more constant and stable. On the coda-4582, jitter and ping fluctuates- ping and jitter on 3552 is more constant.
  • Does the coda-4582 need more signal strength to achieve a constant upload speed?

2. Playing League of Legends was significantly BETTER ON THE CGNM-3552 than on the CODA-4582. HOW? 

• Ping on the CODA-4582 fluctuates between 24ms-65ms; CGNM-3552 has a STABLE PING of 27-30MS
  • Average packet loss on the CGNM-3552 IS LESS (2.1 packets lost/min compared to 4582's 6 packets lost/min)
  • packet loss numbers above were taken from league of legends network logs and converted to graphs on logsoflag.com
  • Overall, thegame was MUCH MORE RESPONSIVE on the 3552 than on the 4582, given the reasons above.

What is causing the CODA-4582 to perform much worse (higher packet loss & inconsistent ping in league of legends), than the CGNM-3552? I know for sure, and have the evidence that something is wrong with the CODA-4582, but can it be pinpointed down to the Puma 7 chipset or the DOCSIS tuners given that they are new?

I'm confident that improvements still need to be made to reach Broadcom's level.

I Plan to Stick Around

Running the .24 Firmware that everyone's on at the moment. Seems I got some decent packet loss while broadcasting but this seemed to only impact me between 11:50PM and 12:50AM. The first hop shown is the router, second hop is the modem (both the CODA-4582).

https://i.gyazo.com/f3368eb2c892bdd52695de50aea157ae.png

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@MegnaGaming you have occasional packet loss on the first hop to the router, which is a little unusual.  You shouldn't see any packet loss to the router.  I would suggest running an extended test to the router only.  Use the routers address as the target and set the ping interval to 1 second and let that run for a day.  What I would like to see is an extended run to the router without any packet loss.  If the packet loss is still evident, then its time to go hunting for the cause.  After that, target the CMTS, which is the IP address after the modem.  From your plot, there is occasional packet loss, which appears to be minimal, is still present.  Personal opinion, there is a packet loss issue with the CODA-4582.  Its singular occurrences, but its still present throughout the day from what I've seen.  Running an extended all day test to the CMTS will also illustrate the variance in the average ping times between the quiet early morning hours and the busier times in the evening.  When you move up in time scale, up beyond 30 min with the pingplotter display, pingplotter switches to an averaged display instead of the min-max display in the 60 sec, 5 and 10 min displays.  Even with the averaged display, you will probably see a large difference between the quiet and busy times of the day.