CODA-4582 - Open Issues for Investigation

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: CODA-4582 - Open Issues for Investigation

Does anyone know what determines which frequencies the channels run at?

Mine go all the way up to 843Mhz and my last 4 channels actually reside in the 800's which are -3dBs less than the other channels which are between the 500 and 700 range.  I see other people top out in the 600s.

On a side note, anytime I've checked signal strength at my cable boxes, I've always noticed the channels running at higher frequencies take a big hit in signal strength.  (i.e. SNE @ 789Mhz is -8dB but Global @ 165Mhz is +4dB).  I've always just assumed the higher frequency, the less it can penetrate or carry.

I'm a Reliable Contributor

@Hwaiting

Yes the high frequency channels will be slightly weaker than the lower frequency channels. It should not matter as long as they operate within the -10 dBmV to 10 dBmV range.

Have a look at the Coax Cable Signal Loss chart in yellow over here: http://www.w4rp.com/ref/coax.html

Notice that for RG-6 wiring the signal difference within 100 feet for 200 Mhz vs 700 Mhz is about 3 dBmV which is what you are seeing and totally within spec. If your drop between signals is much more then there could be issues with the wiring, connectors, etc. and a call to Rogers Cable Repair might be an option.

I Plan to Stick Around

@mahomed wrote:

Yes the high frequency channels will be slightly weaker than the lower frequency channels.

It's interesting looking at mine. I'm in a condo, so I'm about 80ft from the distro point.  My attenuation is ... interesting.

dB vs Frequecy

Rogers Signal Strengths.png

I Plan to Stick Around

@Hwaiting wrote:

There's basically a negotiation process when the modem starts up: checking which frequencies are currently in use, and utilizing ones which are not. So depending on how many devices are within your network segment, you can get frequencies anywhere in the supported range (which IIRC is 470-890, although technically the spec allows to just over 1000MHz which may be used in some situations).

@Telek

You are close to the Linex so you are experiencing positive slope of some sorts.  Generally the signal tends to drop down a bit and then equalizers are used to balance things out.  

Enjoy having STRONG signals with great s/n ratio 🙂

I Plan to Stick Around

@Telek wrote:

@Hwaiting wrote:

There's basically a negotiation process when the modem starts up: checking which frequencies are currently in use, and utilizing ones which are not. So depending on how many devices are within your network segment, you can get frequencies anywhere in the supported range (which IIRC is 470-890, although technically the spec allows to just over 1000MHz which may be used in some situations).

I stand corrected on the frequency range, but cannot edit that post anymore.

Just saw 357MHz used for downstream in someone's post, so it's gotta be at least that low.

I Plan to Stick Around

@tonytoronto wrote:

@mahomed wrote:

@RogersDave

One issue I have been seeing for some time is that if you dont use any of your wired or wireless devices for several hours you lose network connectivity. I turned my laptop on this morning connected to a cat 6 cable and did not get any internet access. I then tried to access the web on my google pixel and as soon as I did that the cat6 network connectivity was restored on my laptop.

Has anyone else had this issue?

thanks

I have experienced that too, but in my case even after login in to modem webpage, the wireless and wired connections had no internet access. Had to reboot. This as now happened twice, and like you its always been first thing morning, no or litte activity during night.

@RogersDave

Yes. I have seen the exact same thing. Numerous times. CODA-4582 firmware .24 2nd gen black dot. Modem in standard gateway mode. Happens with wired devices, as well as 2.4G tablet, laptop. Randomly, usually after a few hours of inactivity. Service usually resumes within about 10 seconds once device or webpage access is attempted a few times. No entries in DOCSIS Event log (and modem doesn't reboot – has been up for almost 4 days now with no speed degradation!!). Almost like modem having trouble finding the right IP match for the device; so... DHCP issue???

Also, perhaps related to this, saw the following in the event log today:

20 02/21/2017 11:44:30 68010300 error DHCP RENEW WARNING - Field invalid in response v4 option;CM-MAC=xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx;CMTS-MAC=xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;

Looks like .24 is stable and will be a public release.

@RogersDave are you guys working on .25 already? 

I Plan to Stick Around

I am also having DHCP issues. Been running .24 since last week. Seems to happen after 24-48 hours. No errors but I can not get an IP. Settings are default. Have not changed anything in the DHCP area on the modem. 

I Plan to Stick Around

@joker2168 wrote:

I am also having DHCP issues. Been running .24 since last week. Seems to happen after 24-48 hours. No errors but I can not get an IP. Settings are default. Have not changed anything in the DHCP area on the modem. 

DHCP internally or externally? What issues specifically are you seeing?