CODA-4582 - Open Issues for Investigation

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm Here A Lot

Re: CODA-4582 - Open Issues for Investigation

Hello RogersDave.

I've stambled over an issue with  IP address reserved for one specific MAC address.

My environment is as follows:

Hardware Version 1A
Software Version 2.0.10.26T2

Hardware Version 1A

Software version 2.0.10.26T2

CODA-4582 is the only DHCP server operating 2.4 and 4 channels 5 GHz wifi with the same SSID. 

There is an additional router with wifi and DHCP disabled and used as a switch only.

Dynamic IP range set from x.x.x.21 to x.x.x.200

There are several devices with reserved IP addresses from x.x.x.3 to x.x.x.20 (with some free addresses available)

I am trying to assign x.x.x.15 to an iPad Air 2 by reservation to it's MAC address with no luck. 

Incidentally, there is an iPad Pro on the network that picks up a reserved by MAC IP address x.x.x.12 without a problem. 

iPad Air originally had x.x.x.26 address

Over multiple attempts it got xxx.27 , xxx.28 , xxx.29 and xxx.30 assigned

My last tested procedure was: reset iPad Air network configuration

Turn it off

Set IP lease in CODA to 30 minutes and add reservation for iPad's MAC address (tried both adding manually and by clicking Add button and editing to x.x.x.15 and saving).

Should have powered CODA off for clean test, but admittedly did not under pressure from family

Waited for 40 minutes

Turned iPad back on and set up wifi access

iPad got the same x.x.x.30 IP address as before this sequence!

Am I doing something wrong, or is ir a genuine bug?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@igorella1 I believe there is a bug in the current firmware that only allows a certain amount of mac address reservations. perhaps you hit the limit.

I'm Here A Lot

@gp-se wrote:

@igorella1 I believe there is a bug in the current firmware that only allows a certain amount of mac address reservations. perhaps you hit the limit.

@gp-se Thank you, you are right. The limit according to my experiments is 10 MAC addresses. Quite reasonable for a residential modem/router. My list had some old reservations for devices I no longer have. I guess fiddling with DD-WRT and Tomato firmware spoiled me. Deleted an old streamer and bingo. Good to know.

@RogersDave Any plans to increase the MAC reservations limit?

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

@igorella1 wrote:
@RogersDave Any plans to increase the MAC reservations limit?

@igorella1 you need to understand, in today's devices that only have 1KB of RAM, and about 16 KB of storage space, we have to be very restrictive with the number of entries that are held in various tables. I mean, a MAC address reservation would take what, 6 bytes for the MAC, 4 bytes for the IP, and perhaps a few more bytes for the type and interface indexes. Let's say 16 bytes total. 10 addresses is already 160 bytes, that's a lot when you only have a few KB of storage to play with!

Maybe some day in the future we can have devices with megabytes of RAM and tens of megabytes of storage space, in which case such arbitrary limits to tables such as that won't be needed anymore.  But that's a long way off.

Man LOL

Network Architect
Network Architect

Took note and reported the following to Hitron:

• DDNS issue with freedns.afraid.org
  • Guest network is still behaving incorrectly in some cases with 2.0.10.27
  • Request to increase MAC address reservation limit

Dave

I'm a Reliable Contributor

Ty for the Update @RogersDave

I Plan to Stick Around

I need help with this also.

I contacted Rogers last night and the CSR couldn't help me set up the 5G network connection to this modem.

She asked me to contact Microsoft. Good grief!

I was able to connect to the 2.4G side but my network shows as public and not private.

Any help would be immensely appreciated.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Rcam 

@Rcam wrote:
I need help with this also.

I contacted Rogers last night and the CSR couldn't help me set up the 5G network connection to this modem.

She asked me to contact Microsoft. Good grief!

I was able to connect to the 2.4G side but my network shows as public and not private.

Any help would be immensely appreciated.

are you running windows 10? do other devices connect to 5Ghz, or no devices see 5Ghz?

in windows to change from public to private goto network settings -> wifi -> show known wifi networks, then set sharing to on. you can google how to change from private to public, I don't run windows so I'm not sure the exact naming of the setting.

I Plan to Stick Around

I am running Windows 10 and my cell phone connects to the 5G.

I Plan to Stick Around

After the Rogers csr had me change the password, I can't log into the modem.

Lovely