cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Brutal latency/ping Recently

t27c
I plan to stick around

I am wired, with the gigabit package and all of the sudden have gotten constant ping spikes for over the last few days. I haven't been able to play any games online because the crazy ping spikes and latency make it completely unplayable. My speeds are what they are expected to be, no issues there. I have tried hard wiring straight into the modem but alas, the issue still persists. I have tried switching cables, power cycling my devices, factory resetting my devices. The issue still persists. I have called and contacted Rogers multiple times and they say everything seems fine on their end. But still, the issue persists and is steady. resulting in me not able to use any of my gaming devices due to the brutal and constant ping spikes. It's frustrating paying over $100 a month for internet I cant use for the things I want it for. Any help or suggestions are welcomed and appreciated. Thank you

*** Edited Labels ***

956 REPLIES 956

Re: Brutal latency/ping Recently

antennabeams
I've been here awhile

Still no resolution from Rogers.

• Numerous support interactions, device reboots, power cycles, etc
  • TraceRts captured, and provided showing lag spikes repeatably to completely different infrastructure sources (google, microsoft, amazon, rogers, cbc more)
  • Pings showing lag spikes
  • Two engineering tickets closed.
  • 1 exchanged modem
  • And...today a front-line tech (not any of the prior contacts, somehow) noted "minor signal issues" and wants to send a tech out.  

This is looking pointless. Is it time to start making more noise to whomever at Rogers is somehow insulated from this matter? Look at this thread, look at Reddit, and look at other forums like istheservicedowncanada.com ; everywhere a conversation on Rogers internet service exists, the exact same issue shows up, across Ontario and beyond! 

-ugh

timfolkins
I plan to stick around

After the modem firmware change, and some potentially good evenings... the service has just continued to degrade to the point where I can a) barely login to this site b) can no longer view youtube... on gigbit service. Just look at the attached chart - it's my last 30 minutes. I'll be lucky if I get a mail notification of any other posts with service like this.

Ughhhh IT'S GETTING WORSE!!!

I'm at a loss here... and no competition in my neighbourhood with Bell's 50 service. I don't think I've had that low a bandwidth for what... 7 years??

Annotation 2020-03-09 191632.jpg

Welcome to Rogers! Like never before! 🙂

you are lucky with Bell's 50, I have only Bell's 25 and still moving to them this week, cause even if I have 500 now it's useless if it doesn't work most of the times.

Fonarik1
I plan to stick around

Yea if this is not resolved by the weekend (don't have my hopes up), I'll probably be downgrading to Bell's 100Mbps, at least it'll be consistent (I hope).

And you're absolutely right, it does seem to be getting worse. Last week it was only noticeable during online gaming, now it's every websites, app, streaming service..

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Unfortunately, the problem has not gone away for me either.  I noticed that Ignite TV became glitchy and immediately started running a ping test.  Right from the start, I saw multiple latency spikes where ping times exceeded 4000ms.

Raveneire
I plan to stick around

@-G- @seadooxp30 @Singh31 

Annotation 2020-03-09 224109.png

This is what my connection has been like for the past 48hrs. While I still doubt it's actually fixed, I know the current latency/packet loss I'm getting is from the rebuild going on at my node so I have to wait for that to clear. Ignite TV has been running and no issues gaming. We'll see what tomorrow looks like, fingers crossed that they've figured something out.

I'll probably take a walk by the node to see what exactly they are doing, might even be FTTH but no knock on my door yet.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Things seem to have gone back to normal now but I just got the worst ping stats that I have ever seen:

--- 8.8.8.8 ping statistics ---
3600 packets transmitted, 3595 received, 0% packet loss, time 3605450ms
rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 5.269/67.709/7666.324/435.918 ms, pipe 8

seadooxp30
I'm a reliable contributor

@Raveneire

Interestingly enough my freezing ( pocket loss and high latency)is very minimal today!

Not sure if they have done something to the node.

How can I tell where my node is? can I tell by putting my postal code or something from specific site?

@seadooxp30 the local tap which connects you and your neighbours is either located in a nearby utility pole, or in a very near waist high pedestal, usually green in colour.  From there, the local tap is connected via cable to the neighbourhood node, which is probably a little higher than waist height, and about 4 x 4, 5 x 5, somewhere around that size, green in colour.  If you walk or drive around your neighbourhood you would probably pass right by it.  That node probably services 500, 1000, or possibly 1500 homes.  I believe Rogers goal is to reduce neighbourhood nodes to 500 homes, possibly less.

The distribution system looks like this:

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/media/gallerypage/image-id/1349i109BEE583F11A744

Singh31
I plan to stick around

I've been getting something similar, it's been improved but like you I'm not holding my breath.

mrdiu
I've been here awhile

Alright, so last night, I was able to play at least 5 games of Overwatch with no latency issues.  Let's see how this holds up tonight.  In Mississauga.

super_robot
I plan to stick around

It's bad in High Park area now, have been fine for a long time but started again few nights ago.

Day time is fine. Night time ping to google bounces from 10ms to 600ms with a few dropped packets.

That issue used to be present months(year) ago but seems to be back. I'll gather more info tonight..

I would switch to BELL Fibe in a heartbeat if it was available. It's clear that Rogers don't know what they are doing and/or are limited with their current infrastructure but either way, as a consumer it sucks big time. 

super_robot
I plan to stick around

The issue is most noticeable at night when their network gets busier. It's usually fine during the day for me and then around 7 til bedtime it is running poorly.

I'd be curious to hear what your experience is like tonight.

moomooo
I've been here awhile

I've had this same issue for weeks in Guelph.  It does appears though that it has been resolved as of mid-day yesterday.  I'm happy!!!

moomooo
I've been here awhile

It's night and day for me.  I'm also crossing my fingers that the issue doesn't return because the service is awesome when it's working.

A few details:

I have the Gigabit service and have been happy with it up until early spring.  Not sure if it's related, but Rogers ran fiber on my street in the fall and I noticed a new pedestal and vault has been installed as of recently.  There was then an overnight outage about a month and a half ago (I also noticed them working at the vault around this time).  After the outage is when these issues began.

Curious if anyone else had the same experience?  I wonder if the design was flawed or they got a batch of faulty components?

BTW - I can't see the images in your post.  

t27c
I plan to stick around
It’s definitely better than what it has been the last 4 months for me. But it isn’t completely fixed as I still get areas of bad packet loss/ping. But much better overall and it is somewhat playable now when it is stable

wulf0ut
I'm here a lot
Having the same issue... so disappointed. Just got ignite 500 or whatever two weeks ago once I moved in and I can’t play a match of apex or modern warfare without lagging around everywhere. Tried wiring my PS4 and it’s still a mess. Have no idea why I’m paying 104 a month for internet that doesn’t let me enjoy video games after work. They also promised me 50% off and I’m
Getting charged the full amount still. Any suggestions for other providers? im in the parkdale area of Toronto. Never had this issue before and I’m not paying that much money for this garbage.

m4te
I plan to stick around

Rogers' infrastructure just doesn't meet the requirements needed for online gaming. 

To put it short, they have fast speeds, but poor latency control, so in this case choosing an ISP depends on what you're doing on the internet. If you're downloading a lot of content, then Rogers would be good due to its high speeds. 
If you use the internet primarily for gaming and stability in latency is required, from what I understand Bell is your go-to option as they might have slower speeds but their latency is a lot more stable and is not affected by other users in your neighbourhood. 

wulf0ut
I'm here a lot

I had no idea that was the deal. Might have to go back to bell... all I do is game is my free time. Their high speed fibe packages aren’t available in my building. Would their fibe 50 package be okay for online gaming at 50mbps? Its the fastest one my building gets. Sorry I don’t know much about this stuff and appreciate the guidance! 🙂

Raveneire
I plan to stick around

@wulf0ut

50 mbps should be fine. I used it for a month and gamed just fine with it, the big thing is the latency and Bell currently isn't stuck in a situation where they have expanded too much to bottle neck your gaming experience with latency issues.

@-G- @Singh31 @seadooxp30 

So far it's been 3 days without any latency issues, maximum spike has been maybe 300ms for a second randomly through the day but not much. Took a walk by my node and I've noticed they've added a new tap AND a new node to the area. The tap is across the street and the node is sitting right next to the old one. I haven't had a chance to call in and get another runaround on whether the rebuild is complete (I'll wait for the weekend for that) but we'll see what the rest of the week is like.

Knock on wood.

hey, just wanted to put my 2 cents in, i'm also in parkdale and have been experiencing rubberbanding and disconnects in all online games for about a week. just got off the phone, the tech support said he saw some noise in my connection that they're going to monitor for the next 2 days and get back to me... this doesn't look good though...